What was the first Dragon Warrior game you played?

My first foray in the series (and the very first RPG I ever played in fact!) was Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Game Boy Color. I remember that when I got my GBC, my mom let me pick out whatever game I wanted to get. I'm not sure how or why, but little me picked out DWM. When I finally started playing it, I was enthralled by the designs of the monsters, the music, the gameplay, and much more. Sadly, for the longest time I had no idea how to save the game, so I ended up restarting the game A LOT.

While DWM was my first DQ game, the game I truly consider to be the game that got me hooked was its sequel. Tara's Adventure & Cobi's Journey became my most played games in my younger days, as I loved everything about them so much. The music stuck with me (both then and now), the worlds you were able to explore were fun and exciting, the challenge was tough but very rewarding, the monsters were all so unique and creative, and the thrill of making new & powerful monsters with the breeding system was a blast, especially whenever I made a rare monster. I'm not sure how on Earth I beat these games growing up, but saving the kingdom of GreatLog will always be one of my favorite gaming accomplishments.

I hold both these games close to my heart, and I'm very thankful for getting to play these fantastic games all those years ago. These games helped me realize how much I enjoy music (just as other games in the main series would do years later) and using my creativity to design my own characters and creatures.

Long live Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 & 2!

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am posting this.... because I miss the days of old.... my first Dragon Warrior game I ever played was "Dragon Warrior"! My cousin first got me to play it and i have been hooked ever since! I played

The first one for me was DRAGON QUEST XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age the game is simply at the top of its kind on Nintendo's Hybrid: Very visually and technically impressive, incredibly endearing a

My first was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Journey way back in 2001-ish. This was near the height of the Pokémon craze, and DWM2 caught my interest for the way it did the monster-catching idea in

Dragon Quest VIII for PS2.  I had money, so I went into the game store one day, and I saw Dragon Quest VIII on the shelf.  The artwork was very familiar and it came with a demo for Final Fantasy XII, so why the hell not?  Didn't care too much for the demo, but I was hooked on Dragon Quest VIII.  It reminded me of Lufia and the Fortress of Doom, which was inspired by the Dragon Quest series.  Can't believe in two more years, it will be the tenth anniversary of DQVIII in North America.

I played DWIII and DWVII back in 2001 when they were first released. Like most kids my age I was into Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z and those games attracted me because of their similar visuals.

In the summer of 2011 I decided to play through several classic RPGs for the PS1 and PS2. I bought DQVIII both because it received great reviews and because it was in the same series of games I enjoyed as a child. The great experience I had playing DQVIII prompted me to buy a DS and the DQ games on that console.

Dragon Quest (aka Warrior) I. Going on several sites I visit a lot, I heard of Dragon Quest a lot, and the name change from DQ to DW in the states and UK until 2003 or so. I ended up downloading a rom for DWI, which ended up being my first DQ game (I haven't beat it though yet). I liked the games a lot, so I bought a preowned Dragon Quest VI from a Gamestop (hoping to get DQIX, IV, or V).

• 3 weeks later...

Super Famicom DQVI (via emulation) was the first one I played.

I grew up playing Phantasy Star I, II, II and IV during 1989-1995.  Heh, my name is after a dungeon in Phantasy Star II not very far into the game. I didn't even own a Nintendo machine of any kind until the SNES in 1991.   Even though I knew of Dragon Quest / Dragon Warrior since 1989, I had never payed much attention to the series, let alone played one during those years.

In late 1994 I was thumbing through the latest EGM and saw this preview of Dragon Quest VI for the Super Famicom.  I thought, DAMN this looks like an incredible game. I had hoped it would make its way stateside to the SNES, but as we all know, it never happened.  Years later around 1999-2000 when emulation was becoming very popular, I got into playing hundreds of games for many different systems. I thought back to those DQVI screens I had seen years earlier. So I wanted to see if I could find the Japanese ROM and try it out. Sure enough I did.  I don't remember if at that time, around 2000, if there was even a primitive english translation or not. So I might've been playing it with Japanese text. Fast forward 4-5 more years and by that time I'm pretty sure there was some sort of translation out there. I played more, advancing through several towns and scenarios, even into the Dream World and back. Didn't get that far but I loved it.   I tried out various other entries in the series on NES and SFC including the remakes for SFC.  I really loved the look of IIIr, though I didn't enjoy them as much as my first experiences with VI.

Flash forward to 2012, I picked up the entire Zenithia trilogy of remakes for DS.   I'm playing in order, about halfway through IV now.   When I'm done with IV-V-VI on DS I plan to play through VI and then IIIr on SFC.

I'm really hoping that VII for 3DS gets localized but I don't expect that to happen until late 2014 or sometime in 2015, if ever.   Also, I recently saw videos of the PS2 remake of V.  I need to get a proper PS2 setup and everything patched since I've heard that it's MUCH better than going the emulation route. 

That's actually surprising that you got started on DQVI, as it's regarded as the least favorite of the series. Its nice to know that VI is getting some love.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker was my first conscious RPG. My friend told me it's worth checking out because of outstanding graphics (I'm not into graphics, which is quite ironic). Joker blew my mind. I had over 120 hours on the clock without filling the monster library (it took me under 45h when I tried it on next playthrough).

Immediately after finishing it I played Dragon Quest V (DS), my first game from the main series. DQV to this day remains my favourite DQ game.

Then I played DQIV, DQVIII, DQVI, DQIX, DWI, DWII, DWIII and finally DWVII (replaying IV-VI many times between those). Good times!

For a lot of us in our 30's, it's no surprise that the original Dragon Warrior on the NES was our proper introduction to the series... But my experience had a little twist. I rented the game from my "ma & pa" Video rental store. I played the crap out of it for a day, and then my mom would dutifully send it back to avoid late fees. This meant, I would have to wait until the following week or so when we rented movies again to rent Dragon Warrior... and then I'd have to pray that no one else rented it and erased my save!

Lucky for me, it seemed like no one in my area was a huge Dragon Warrior fan, and I was able to keep playing the game without interruption... just very slowly! (Imagine getting a new DQ game and only being able to play it one day every week or two!)

Then, Nintendo Power decided to be extremely generous and give away copies of the game with a new subscription. I was already a subscriber, but if you added on another year, you got the deal too. Joy! I didn't even mind having to start over... I was ready to go though it all again.

A friend of mine got the game through Nintendo Power at the same time, so what we did was call each other on the phone at night and play the game at the same time while chatting. It wasn't quite a race to see who beat it first... but just something where we could help out each other if we got stuck or provide updates on how we were doing. It was almost like being in a primitive form of an MMO, since the places we were in the game were pretty much similar. We'd tackle the caves and dungeons at the same times too. It was lots of fun!

Anyway, I must have played that copy of Dragon Warrior to completion a dozen times. Fond memories...

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

like so many others my first DQ was dragon warrior, but I was way to young when I first played it like 3-4, but the name stuck forever in my head. then when VII came out if sparked a long forgotten memory and I bought it as soon as it came out. then 3 for GBC. but it wasn't until the DS remakes came out that I decided to go back and play all the ones I had missed. it has just  been such a magical series for me bringing a joy to my life that only dragon quest can create

• 3 weeks later...

Dragon Warrior VII. I was 8-9 years old, it wasn't mine, and I played only ten hours back then. I didn't mind the visuals and found the game puzzle elements very interesting, even with my difficulty reading english at the time. But VIII was the one that really got me into the series.

The first I played was Dragon Warrior 1. I was younger than 10 iirc and my family traded a go kart for a NES with 2 controllers, and 5 or 6 games, one of which was Dragon Warrior.  I have only played the first couple games in the series. I have only beat the first one. I want to play more, but find little time and when I have the time I dont think about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, this is my first post!

Anyway, on with my Tale. My first DQ was Journey of The Cursed King. I loved it to bits. In fact, I remember getting it at around the time I the ps3 first came out. I distinctly remember thing "who needs a ps3, when ps2 has this amazing game?"

If I had to phrase my love for it, I'd say this:

Pokemon introduced me to the RPG

Dragon Quest made me fall in love with it.

Now I've gone to play many games in the series, and it really is the most consistent RPG out there. As I've gotten older, I've come to realize there really is no experience like Dragon Quest out there.

Hi JobClass! I think I talked with you over on GameFAQs a few days ago.  Welcome to the Den! Glad you decided to join us and I definitely agree with you about DQ being the most consistent RPG out there. 

Hi JobClass! I think I talked with you over on GameFAQs a few days ago.  Welcome to the Den! Glad you decided to join us and I definitely agree with you about DQ being the most consistent RPG out there. 

Woah!!

Hey Zenith!!!!!!

yes, i remeber, you answered my question about Empyrea!

And thank you!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dragon Warrior on NES. I had to use one of those old Secrets Of Nintendo Games paperback books to get through it. Those clues about how to get the rainbow drop (or whatever it's called) were really cryptic.

That game is waaay to grindy by today's standard, but I remember enjoying farming Goldmen for the Magic Armor. 

• 2 weeks later...

the first i playd was dq4 on ds a frinde of mine told me about it

Dragon Quest Monsters.. in Japanese, which was Dragon Warrior Monsters back then. I named the monsters based on what they look. Coatl - Red Snake, Sky Dragon - Chinese Dragon, Great Drak - Mother Dragon (she's like pregnant), Healslime - Octosquid, Rosevine - Plant Monster, etc. Wrote and memorized most of the japanese text of spells and items too. Great time!

First actual DQW main series that I've played is DQ3 on gameboy in Japanese too! :D

I can't remember if I posted here o not, but the first one I played was, I believe, Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC. I was a big fan of Dragon Ball, like a lot of kids my age back then, and I knew Toriyama had something to do with this game. I bought it and when I played it I expected it to be like DBZ. It wasn't. It also seemed like it was trying to be like Pokemon, but it wasn't. I remember being really confused as to the point of it. And then I didn't play it anymore. I was around 13 or so.

Then, last year, I really got the craving to play an old school JRPG. Knowing that Final Fantasy was cliche, I decided to give Dragon Quest another try. A quick Google search revealed that a lot of people recommended DQV. So I got it for the DS and I've been in love ever since.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2 Running VanillaRootBox

• Upvote 1

;) I'm really sure I posted in this thread already but that was quite some time ago :laugh: Anyways the first Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest game I played was the original NES title when I was 8, earlier that year I remember when my brother and a friend of his rented Dragon Warrior III for the NES. It was then I was hooked on the DQ series and RPGs in general.

• 1 month later...

Dragon Warrior I on the NES was the first DW/DQ game I played, back when I was 7 years old. Thought DW1 was so hard back then; took me a long time to beat the game.

It's hard to imagine that it's been almost 25 years since then. :o

(Posted from a Samsung Galaxy Note II device.)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Given that I've practically been raised by my NES, mine was 1. It helped me a lot with learning english at the age of 9~10 (and yes, I did eventually understand what the Elizabethian-English terms meant).

• 1 month later...

Dragon Warrior was the first game I ever played and it was so fun... :)

• 1 month later...

Dragon Quest I&II on the Game Boy Color, a cousin of mine got bored of the game and decide to give it to me, i was hooked on Pokemon back in the day so RPG games were not boring for me as other kids tough. The first in the series is pretty easy, but Dragon Quest II and his damn crest are hell incarnated on a cartridge.