Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RanmaJAG

Bootleg copy of DQ V?

I was on ebay looking for Dragon Quest stuff and I ran across a listing for a US Super Nintendo cartridge of "Dragon Warrior V" As far as I know this game never made it state side. Am I wrong or is this a bootleg game? Here is the listing for anyone who wants to look at it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-Quest-V-Warrior...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a bootleg. They've pop up on the electronic auction bay all the time. This is a fairly common one. There are several versionS from China and even DW IV for the SNES.

And the hissy fit in...

FIVE

FOUR

THREE...

This topic has been posted before. Its somewhere in the Den.

Who would be dumb enough to bid on this? Video game collectors know what games are released and what games aren't, and the rarity of games. This is obviously a reproduction cartridge attempting to be poorly passed off as an original. Who would bid on this?

For the non-tech people, I can see bidding on it it to bypass finding the right emulator, finding the rom, patching it, etc. I could also see someone bidding on it just to have a copy to play on the system, on the tv. Sure, they could have the rom, but why go through all the time and expense for the materials? To each his own, I guess.

ETA: Looks like the price has gone up. When these first popped up, weren't they like, $30 or so?

For the non-tech people, I can see bidding on it it to bypass finding the right emulator, finding the rom, patching it, etc. I could also see someone bidding on it just to have a copy to play on the system, on the tv. Sure, they could have the rom, but why go through all the time and expense for the materials? To each his own, I guess.

ETA: Looks like the price has gone up. When these first popped up, weren't they like, $30 or so?

$24 actually. I remember from previous threads.

Guest Plattym3

Wow. I've tried reporting these auctions to Ebay and Squeenix twice now, but I get no reponse from either, so screw them both. Yeah, this one is WAY overpriced compared to the other auctions we've seen.

Ah, $#!&...here we go again!! Why do these $#!&ing ass holes get away with this $#!&? If I ever tried it, you know they'd come after ME!!!...but, because it's someone else, they get away with it. This royally $#!&ing sucks.

Yeah, this is the third one I've seen...I'm guessing there have been more.

I remember there was a site where you could buy these where the guy takes a translation patch and the snes rom and places them on a cartridge. I can't remember the url for the site offhand but I remember stumbling across to it from a link on Gamefaqs one time.

Pretty much what they do is take apart a SNES cartridge and change the rom information with the new rom.

Dragon Warrior V (I see they've changed it too quest now) usually went for $45.00 I believe.

found the URL

http://gamereproductions.com/

Yep $45.00 as I thought.

There's also a site called nesreproductions.com which does the same exact thing but you have to provide the cartridge for nes reproductions.

Interesting how that one uses the art from IV and calls it V...

Yea the guy that does these admits right on the page it uses a fan translation for V. I'm pretty sure it uses the Dejap/PT translation and not Byuu's. (I'm gonna play through Byuu's translation someday.)

I'm sure there are other sites besides those two that do reproductions.

I prefer Byuu's. While I appreciate DeJap's script, Byuu's patch has a better font and text formatting. So, to me, it reads and flows better.