Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michi

Dragon Quest Merchandise [Image Heavy]

It's not through my school. :) I applied directly to a program in Japan myself, which made it take a lot more effort since I didn't have a school program working for me. It did cost a lot, but I saved up and had help from my family.

Wow...I should do that! ^.^

My program is this one: http://www.tiu.ac.jp/jsp/ But there's quite a few other programs that let you study directly in Japan without using your college's system.

Once my figures arrive sometime within 2 weeks, I'll post up my 12 inch Baramos and Necrosaro statues.

Michi,

That's about what I did when I was an exchange student in 2002, but everything was in the game centers so I had to win my plushes.

292076821_53f36e93a0.jpg

Here is the haul from my first trip. Note the Dr. Pepper can for scale.

After that I was on the JET Program from 2003-2005 and have visited twice since. I'll put more pictures up when I can. In the meantime you can check some of my photos here.

Damn...thats a lot of plushies...

Guest Plattym3
Michi,

That's about what I did when I was an exchange student in 2002, but everything was in the game centers so I had to win my plushes.

292076821_53f36e93a0.jpg

Here is the haul from my first trip. Note the Dr. Pepper can for scale.

After that I was on the JET Program from 2003-2005 and have visited twice since. I'll put more pictures up when I can. In the meantime you can check some of my photos here.

HOLY PLUSHIE!!!!!!!!!!! That's one heck of a collection.

Iloveslimes ~ Oh, NICE. You know, I didn't see a single UFO catcher machine with slimes in it. I'm gonna look harder this time, but I was shocked that I only saw slime plushies in the stores or used shops. What I'm aiming for this time is to get more of the old ones, since only 9 (out of 18) of my current slime plush collection aren't part of the current Smile Slime line. [it looks like I only have two of the same ones you have...!] How'd you get all of those home?!

I'm looking through your flickr now -- I really like how you display your keychains. That's a really great idea. I've lost a lot of my slime keychains since I use them as actual keychains. T_T

Here's my wallet that I forgot to post before (it's a bit worn, and full of yen coins!):

IMG_5434.jpg

I loved getting coins out of its butt at the counters in Japan, especially at the SE store. XD

And for kicks, my Jessica figure when I first got it and hadn't opened the box yet, next to the King Slime plushie from my first slime plush group photo.

DSCN3419.jpg

I still need to get photos of my other DQ figures, but they're still in unpacked bags from Japan. :(

;) WOW!!!! I am jealous, all I have is one little Plush Slime sitting on my TV. I need to get more.

Whats the biggest slime you have?

Me? The biggest one I have right now is the giant dark blue vinyl one on page 2 (in the picture with the sunken yellow one that's also in the first pic I posted~).

The biggest slime I have is a kingslime. It's probably two feet across. The picture I posted was only the plushes after my study abroad. After that, I lived in Japan for two years. I did see the giant beanbag slime for sale, but it was just too big and about $100. Right now I have at least 100 different plushes.

Michi: I'm sorry to say that SmileSlime looks to be the only way to get slimes in Japan except for used places. I haven't saw any new UFO plushes in at least 2 years. I check Yahoo Japan auctions often enough to make sure. When I was first there, there were no slimes in the stores, only game centers had slime stuff. Having slimes in the store is kind of a double-edged sword because if you see them, you can get them immediately instead of hoping the machine is calibrated to let you win, but you lose the thrill of winning it yourself and possibly paying less.

PM me if you want to know a couple of good places to look in Tokyo.

Michi: I'm sorry to say that SmileSlime looks to be the only way to get slimes in Japan except for used places.

No, I know that. :) Used shops are exactly where I'll be looking. I got two plushies from used shops during my last stay there. I saw slimes in UFO catchers, but not plushies last time.

PM me if you want to know a couple of good places to look in Tokyo.

Why not just post it here? XD

Okay, I finally got photos of my books. I wanted to organize these pics more but you'll just get them in one fell swoop!

IMG_4451.jpg

That DQ1 Hero & Laura figure that seems popular here~

IMG_4452.jpg

One of two magnet DQ1 battle displays I have. I also have a Golem and a Chimera, so I guess I should take photos eventually...

IMG_2436.jpg

My pencil/pen/case set! This is already outdated because I have a pink mechanical pencil now. It's white with pink lettering and a pink slime charm like the pink pen.

IMG_4456.jpg

Salt & pepper shakers. Haven't used them yet! Gonna wait until my boyfriend & I move to our own place.

IMG_4457.jpg

Mugs! The angel slime one is being used to hold our toothbrushes. XD;

DSCN1677.jpg

My beloved magnets.

IMG_5406.jpg

Slime bath rug. We really use it in the bathroom, so I try to keep it really clean.

IMG_5411.jpg

Slime dish. It's pretty small, so it could only be used to like... serve candy.

IMG_4455.jpg

The yellow slime here was in my first picture of my plushies, but the giant one wasn't! He's still in Japan, and I hope to lug him home this summer.

IMG_2357-1.jpg

Slime handkerchief. Very handy in Japan.

IMG_1775-1.jpg

Slime towel. It's small, but was useful during the hot summer in Japan. Resides in the bathroom now next to the slime mugs & slime rug.

IMG_1513-1.jpg

Slime mirror. XD

IMG_5427.jpg

The orange slime on the left is from a new set of soft keychains that came out just as I left Japan, so I intend to get more. In the middle are Cristo/Crift and Mara/Manya from the new DQIV figure series. On the right is a slime keychain I got from Slime Knights during the summer of '06.

IMG_5431.jpg

Big plush slime keychain on my bag.

IMG_5432.jpg

Metal slime and Curer slime mini keychains on my bag. I have like 15 slime keychains of various types that have been lost or misplaced over the years, so I didn't attempt to take any more pictures!

IMG_5430.jpg

All the DQ books I could find, haha. I think this is all I have. Top row: Caravan Heart guide, DQ8 guide, DQ7 guide. Middle: NES DQ4 guide, both DS DQ4 guides. Bottom row: Dragon Quest 7 manga vols 1-2, Dragon Quest Dai no Daibouken manga 1-2, GBC DQ1&2 guide. All of these are Japanese books.

I think I forgot some stuff. I didn't post my slime controller... Oh man, and both of my Jessica figures from DQ8.. and my DQ Roto series figures besides the hero & Laura one. I did forget a lot!! @_o Argh this is why I need a site to list everything because it's hard to keep track. XD;

Michi,

Where did you get the coffee mugs from?

I'm assuming from your other posts that you are in Tokyo. If not, let me know and I can direct you to good places in Nagoya, Osaka, or Nagasaki.

Tsuhan Dragon Quest Goods

This a fun place to check out. They have a lot of older goods. It's mostly mail order, but I went to the store indicated on the access map link on the left of the page. If you want to go, it is a bit of an adventure. You see the shelf, that is the extent of their retail store. It was in a very residential neighborhood and the building was a garage on the first floor. I walked up and saw that shelf and some desks with a receptionist. We both looked at each other like "what is that person here for?" Once I was able to say that I saw their website and I was a big Dragon Quest fan, they were very helpful and nice. The older lady kept bringing out older goods that weren't on the website out for me to look at and everybody stopped work to talk for a bit. Very odd for Japan, but fun.

The different Mandarake stores are always a good choice. The Nakano Broadway area was the best because there were so many toy and character stores all together and Mandarake on top of it all. They won't sell you the really old decorative plushes at the video game part of Mandarake. I asked. The Mandarake in Shibuya was good, but Shibuya's always a bit of a maze to find stuff in.

I've found Akihabara too commercial. Things are too expensive and there isn't that much cool stuff.

If you need more details, let me know. I am envious that you went to the Square Enix store. I was in Tokyo on a weekday last time, so I've never been.

WarriorOfDestiny ~ I can't believe you quoted my entire image-full post.. XD; The mugs I bought in Tokyo; they're part of the current Smile Slime line. They also make a Slime Knight one.

Iloveslimes ~ Yeah, I'm in Saitama so just outside of Tokyo. Last time I was here, I did go to places like Nakano Broadway and Mandarake... But only found things like keychains. I haven't been to the Shibuya one though I've heard good things about it. The best place I got stuff was actually Akihabara, at a big used shop. That's where I got the big dark blue vinyl slime and the squishy yellow slime. :)

The SE store isn't really that exciting... It's one room with toys/plushies and then a back smaller room with jewelry. ^^; But I like going there because the current merchandise is cheaper there than it is in any other store like Animate.

Oh man, I wish I could check out that shop. Osaka, right? I was able to go to Osaka last time but I don't think I can make it this time around. :( I have been to that site before, though! Maybe I should do some mail order goodness while I'm back!

WarriorOfDestiny ~ I can't believe you quoted my entire image-full post.. XD; The mugs I bought in Tokyo; they're part of the current Smile Slime line. They also make a Slime Knight one.

Iloveslimes ~ Yeah, I'm in Saitama so just outside of Tokyo. Last time I was here, I did go to places like Nakano Broadway and Mandarake... But only found things like keychains. I haven't been to the Shibuya one though I've heard good things about it. The best place I got stuff was actually Akihabara, at a big used shop. That's where I got the big dark blue vinyl slime and the squishy yellow slime. :)

The SE store isn't really that exciting... It's one room with toys/plushies and then a back smaller room with jewelry. ^^; But I like going there because the current merchandise is cheaper there than it is in any other store like Animate.

Oh man, I wish I could check out that shop. Osaka, right? I was able to go to Osaka last time but I don't think I can make it this time around. :( I have been to that site before, though! Maybe I should do some mail order goodness while I'm back!

Is there a website where I can get some coffe mugs?

Michi: The DraQue Tsuhan store is in Tokyo. Using their access map and a good subway map of the city you can find the station closest to it. And then the real fun begins....

For the coffee cups, I did some research and you can get them through a middle man. I've used Celga before and they're good. Make sure you know their service fees and everything because they can get really expensive. On the Celga website they have a list of stores that you can order from through them and there is a link for the Square-Enix store. From there you should have no troubles aside from price.

When I get the time, I'll post some pics of some of my collection.

Edit: I found this site (no guarantees) that sells the angelslime mug for $20. slime mug place

So it's my third day back in Japan and I've already hit a goldmine of slimes. I got VERY lucky in Akihabara. There was a K-Books that had these plushie bins. I vaguely wondered if there would be any slimes, and look over and see one in a bin! ... and then my friends and I fish through the bin, and find nearly 20 old (2002-2004, so pre-Smile Slime) plushies! I bought ... well, 15 of them. It cost under $40! Just before that, at a consignment shop, I bought three larger slime plushies. Two were older, but one was from the current Smile Slime and a good $10 less just because it was being resold. AWESOME. It was the metal king slime, which was my #1 priority to get when I came back, haha!

Without further ado, here is a picture of my new slimes:

n502504673_339966_4541.jpg

I have in fact doubled my plushie count as it is now at 36. I also bought another plush slime keychain and a pink slime bank. I'll take photos of those later. :D Oh, and on the topic of DQ merchandise, my friend bought me four Dragon Quest IV doujinshi and I got some new gachapon. Yay! I now have Ryan/Ragnar in the DQIV figure set to join Manya/Mara and Clift/Cristo. Now I just really want Alena and the Hero, but I guess I should even them out with Brey. D:

Michi: The DraQue Tsuhan store is in Tokyo. Using their access map and a good subway map of the city you can find the station closest to it. And then the real fun begins....

But the site said the main store is in Osaka... :( After clicking access map I see that they have one in Kanagawa, which is at least close to me.

I went to a Arcade in Japan and hit it big and walked out with about 100 of those clear plastic slimes. I didn't know what to do with them all so I just killed them for EXP or gave them to my friends. I think my dog at some of them too... I can't seem to find them all.

Two more slimes. Count is at 38 for plushies.

n502504673_361997_911.jpg

These two are quite big. There was a yellow one in the shop but I was running low on cash and didn't like it as much as these two!

I also found that lovely slime backpack Besu has in her collection. They had the metal slime backpack too, but it wasn't as nice quality since it was used.

I've also recently acquired these slime cups:

n502504673_360300_4065.jpg

And this photo frame:

n502504673_360301_4369.jpg

I saw the slime/she-slime-besu version of this on Yahoo! Japan Auctions a while back and was unable to get it, so I was so happy to see the slime/hoimi slime version in a used shop!

Also this guy:

n502504673_357349_8364.jpg

It's a bank! :D

And behind the slime cups you can see my little slime toy that sits on my external drive. I was also able to get the Hero and Alena from the DQIV figure set. I'm only missing Brey now, but I don't really intend to go out of my way to find him... D:

Grand total of money spent on this collection?

I don't know. XD; A lot, yet not at the same time? I mean, the recent big collection of smaller slimes I got were all between $2-4 each, and the bigger ones are never more then $30ish anyway.

I probably spent roughly the same amount for all my card games as a kid growing up. Oh my shoe box of Dispair and all its delicious pokemon contents.