Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'dwm'.
I posted a chart I made for DWM2 previously and got some requests to make one for the first game too (I've also updated the DWM2 chart too). Do let me know if you spot any errors. For anyone like me that dislikes shuffling through .txt guides when playing these games, hopefully these will brighten things up a tad! I had no idea that the personality names were almost completely different between the two games either; makes it a tad confusing jumping from one to the other. Woodus - Since you asked before, I'd be happy to let you host these on the Den should you wish! https://imgur.com/a/MkX35IL
Hey there, As of late, I’ve begun working on making a game heavily inspired by Dragon Quest Monsters, (specifically DWM2 (my favorite in the series, while also implementing some of the features and conveniences from the more modern titles). Overall, I’m hoping to get a bit of feedback in these early stages of development, while also potentially seeing if any individuals would be interested in helping out with the project. As far as mechanics go, I'm mostly going off of Joker 1-2, with monsters having to be scouted in battle, and each monster having different skill trees that can be bred to other monsters. With that said, I'm planning on adding a few new features too, one of which being a more prominent typing system ala Pokemon, and having held items have more of a role as opposed to just straight stat boosts. The gameplay will probably play out like in DWM2, where you have a cozy little hub world to explore, shop, breed, and prepare, with the main exploitable areas being accessed via warping there, with these areas having both a small self contained plotline, and mildly progressing the overarching plot. Graphics wise, I'm going for an old school GBC look. I'm definitely planning on keeping the breeding system pretty much as is, although having some form of evolution to allow low ranking monsters essentially promote into higher ranking monsters could make for an interesting mechanic, I'll have to think about it. What’s possibly my biggest peeve with most monster taming series is when more than half the roster can't really be viable due to their evolutions/higher ranked forms outclassing them in every way. One thing that I’m hoping to accomplish is having pretty much every monster being viable as a long-term team member. I don't think I'll handle it quite like Joker3, mostly due to the fact that it runs the risk of causing my other biggest peeve in monsters taming games, which is when everything feels too similar to each other, without much reason to use one thing over the other. Still, this is definitely one of my biggest focuses with the project. I’m currently planning on a PC and Android release, with the possibility of an IOS release if there’s enough interest. This probably sounds like a lot (and it is), but I'm not starting completely from scratch. In fact, I have the majority of the monsters already made, from another project I've been working on for a few years. If anyone is interested in helping out with the project, definitely reach out to me, as I’d appreciate any amount of help I can get. Be it as a Pixel Artist, Composer, Skill and Stat Designer, Writer, eventual Beta Tester, or even just as someone who would like to pitch occasional ideas and feedback to the group, all aid is appreciated. I've set up a Discord server, for anyone who would like to follow the project, or contribute to it's progress. Feel free to stop in, and ask any questions, or leave any suggestions you may have. https://discord.gg/QXzfMgp Although, even to those who aren’t interested in joining the project, I’m curious what sort of features/mechanics would you be personally interested in seeing in a project heavily inspired by DQM? If anyone seeing this is curious about the project, feel free to send me a message. I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Just wrote a new tool that runs a rom and accepts input via sockets- allowing easy automation of some processes (for DWM this means a comprehensive breeding guide) so I put the data on my site! I have the raw data (monster list and breeding list) if you'd like it or you can take a look at the page http://nonsoftware.us/tools/dwm/ The way I made the data is relatively simple: I took the source of gnuboy- and modified it a bit to accept external input. Then wrote a secondary program that connected to the source, loaded the most recent savestate, modified a couple bytes (specifically 0xCACA and 0xCACB to modify the monster and the class) then pushed some buttons to initiate a shrine breeding session thing, as soon as the value for the resulting monster changed I grabbed that data and threw it into a csv file- I also grabbed a screenshot using the secondary program of the portion of the screen that the monster portrait lives, then saved that to an image file. Then I used a multi-regex tool to change the csv data to sql statements, put the data on my sql server and connected it with my site!