I've tried to take this route repeatedly to see the various outcomes and determine if it was pretty reliable but using the route I will outline here, I've managed to land on the finish line twice within about a two hour period.
I have the guide but I refuse to look at it till I've done everything I intend to do with the game and if it has a better route mentioned then someone feel free to toss it up.
While you're going on this route, keep in mind to not go inside any caves or examine any grass patches along the way as the hidden trapdoors are pretty random.
1. Go down at the 1st directional prompt and continue to the steps.
2. On the next level, continue going down when you reach the next directional prompt.
3. You're now on a long pathway going up and to the right, continue to the steps.
4. On the next level, there are two direction signs just a few steps in front of you, the 1st one forces you down and the 2nd one forces you to the right. Continue down from here and pass thru the toll gate. Along the path just beyond the toll gate there are several portals only a few steps apart. You need to land on one of these portals.
I tried to play the board several times to see where all these portals take you but I'm going on a hunch and say they all take you to the same place as I landed on two of these portals and they both took me to the same spot so I'm gonna assume the other portals in this area will also take you to the same spot which brings me to #5.
5. The path you see now (assuming all the portals above bring you to this spot) will have a directional prompt a few steps in front of you but it doesn't matter which path you take as they both lead to the same steps. Just to make sure you're on the path I'm referring to here, you'll see two trapdoors back to back on the pathway going down but as I said, it doesn't matter which path you take as they both lead to the same steps.
6. The next level contains a long path that basically takes you around the outer edge of the entire level before it comes around into the middle of the level and just loops in a big square. On this level there are several trapdoors and from what I've seen so far, it doesn't matter which one you land on but you need to land on one of them as you'll drop down to the level with the finish line.
7. Now that you're on the level with the finish line, you're likely on one of the looping paths outside of the final leg and in order to get on the final leg, you'll need to hit the portal that's on your particular path. Any one of the portals on these paths will take you directly to the final leg. (There are some steps leading up to the final leg from somewhere so I probably should examine the board a little better from the outside and try to determine where they are leading up from.)
8. On the final leg, cross your fingers and hope you don't get a crappy dice roll.
I can't say with 100% certainty that all of what I've said above is correct since I've not hit all the portals and trapdoors along the way, but to me, this seems like a very good route to take and I've done seen it pay off more than once. I've hit the finish line twice in a very short time and that doesn't count the several other times I've reached the final leg and hit a HARD CHEESE so luck of the dice roll still plays a big part in this.