Sign in to follow this  
ethanej

USB 3.0 Issue

So I've been using my laptop a bit more and I've run into an issue that I've tried to fix. When I try to transfer large files on the usb 3.0 ports the transfer starts and then after a little while it stops transferring on USB 2.0 transfers work fine. I've changed the power plan that the laptop uses including USB Selective suspend setting to disabled. I've also changed Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in device manager. I'm using the the USB 3.0 driver that Windows 10 supplys because Intel is to lazy to provide their own driver. I know its not the device or cable I'm using because both work fine on the USB 3.0 ports on my desktop computer.

Should I transfer everything off and do a fresh install of Windows 7 with Intels supplied USB 3.0 driver?

Edit: If I let it sit running it pops up with error 0x80070079.

Edited by ethanej

So tried a few more things out:

Booted Fedora 28 off of my usb thumb drive Files transfered pretty well until towards the end where the transfer crashed should probably try Fedora 29.

Tried installing the Windows 7 driver no luck with it says incompatible.

Things that I'm planning on doing:

Windows 7 PE with usb 3 driver.

Edit: So it looked like the Intel Community probably had info that I would need but it looks like they deleted it.

Edited by ethanej
Info

Got file transfers working with teracopy but not fully with explorer.

USB 3 can be a pain to get working correctly

4 hours ago, Woodus said:

USB 3 can be a pain to get working correctly

Yes it can especially when their is no indication on screen of what is wrong. The other thing that is fustrating in this situation is what fixed the issue on my desktop didn't fix it on my laptop. The thing I like about USB 3 is the speed compared to USB 2.

Yeah the speed difference is huge, but it can be so unstable, we have problems at work with devices the refuse to even work with 3.0 ports, use a 2.0 port works great

I don't have many USB 3.0 devices (just my phone and a couple of Seagate USB HDDs), and I only have one computer with USB 3.0 ports, but I've never had any sort of issue with them.

The issue started up again so last night I decided to install Windows 7. USB 3.0 is working pretty good so far. So I'm guessing a Windows 10 issue.

2 hours ago, ethanej said:

The issue started up again so last night I decided to install Windows 7. USB 3.0 is working pretty good so far. So I'm guessing a Windows 10 issue.

Makes sense. I'm on Windows 7.

So a bit of an update I decided to take the hard drive out of the Acer Aspire 4720Z and run a test. Installed Windows 8.1 to the hard drive and tested a file transfer same result as windows 10. So my thoughts are its not the Windows usb 3 driver stack at fault but Intels USB 3.0 chipset isn't fully up to usb 3.0 specs. I also testeds fedora 29 same thing as Fedora 28. So it looks like this laptop will be stuck at windows 7 for a while unless of course I can find someone to mod Intels Win 7 usb 3.0 driver.

An other small update I finally figured out what was evidently causing the issue with Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 + Fedora and USB 3. The hard drive they put in the laptop when they refurbished it was a SATA II drive I decided I needed a bigger hard drive because 160 GB wasn't cutting it. Moving up to SATA III hard drive has fixed the issue.

Wow, that seems so unrelated. Glad you got it fixed :thumbsup: