Sign in to follow this  
NeoDevilbane

Is Dragon Quest IX beatable in single-player?

Absolutely. The way the multiplayer works, each player simply adds their hero to the hosts party. You're still free to fill your party with other characters however you wish.

• Like 1

I don’t think I ever played with another person. It was probably one of the easiest Dragon Quests I’ve played too. That being said, I can see how this game would’ve been more fun if you get to play with others regularly, which is probably why it was so huge in Japan, since I’m sure pretty much everyone had it.

Missing out on that DLC is unfortunate however.

I personally found IX to be kind of boring. It's got all of the fetch quests of an MMO, but without the MMO part. I only got to play with my mom a couple times, but nobody else I know ever had the game. It doesn't help that the localization was so chocked-full of puns that it became distracting from the story.

36 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I personally found IX to be kind of boring. It's got all of the fetch quests of an MMO, but without the MMO part. I only got to play with my mom a couple times, but nobody else I know ever had the game. It helps that the localization was chock full of puns that helped to elevate the story.

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.
Indeed you did. I got to play DQXI once with@Liamland. Fun times. I sunk 150+ hours into it otherwise. Great game. Sad about DLC, but it won't be a deal breaker when I go back to replay it. Well, who am I kidding, I won't replay until it gets a remake.

DQIX* 😀

“Roman numerals? They never even tried to teach us that in school!”

DQIX* 
D'oh!
See, I don't teach them. I give my fifth graders a project each January with Roman Numerals, binary, and hexadecimal numbers. The goal of the project isn't so much those number systems but if they can find their own resources to figure out all the conversions and such.

Guess I need to rethink that.

2 hours ago, eal said:

It took me ten years after Disney's Hercules came out to figure out the "kids" trapped under the boulder were saying call 9-1-1

call_ixii.gif

10 minutes ago, Woodus said:

It took me ten years after Disney's Hercules came out to figure out the "kids" trapped under the boulder were saying call 9-1-1

call_ixii.gif

You run a Dragon Quest website and forum!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 10:06 AM, eal said:

You run a Dragon Quest website and forum!

To be fair, nobody looks at IX and says "Aye-Ex". They say "Icks" or, if they're numerate, "Nine".

Edited by JaybirdC

4 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

To be fair, nobody looks at IX and says "Aye-Ex". They say "Icks" or, if they're numerate, "Nine".

I used to and still say "Aye-Ex". Then I also say "Nine". I guess I say both?

On 12/1/2018 at 12:17 AM, NeoDevilbane said:

Like, if I never make any use whatsoever of the multiplayer component... can I still beat the game? Will it still be fun?

The game is definitely more fun with others. However, like everyone has said, the game is still playable and beatable, as it was meant for single play. Connectivity was an added bonus. Other players could join your game, via local wireless, and vice versa. But what everyone else did NOT mention was Map Trading, as you could've traded treasure maps with other players. They had no connection with the story whatsoever, but they were a fun thing to do on the side.

i actually had a couple friend who got the game as well and when he hung out one time, I trolled them by having them join my game and fought Lv.99 Dracolord (whom I've previously beaten) and we all got wrecked. As consolation, I gave them the Masayuki Map and ran them through it a couple times. My only regret is that I never got Kawasaki's Locker.

Edited by Duran