Sign in to follow this  
Woodus

Dragon Quest XI Islands Map

dq11.png

This irritated the crap out of me not having this (because I couldn't remember which was which) so I created a map that labels the islands.

dq11_islands_th.jpg

On the Overworld Maps page: https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq11/maps.php?tp=maps_overworld

This map is so small and boring. Dragon Quest XI's story is good enough (so far, I'm not quite done with it yet), and the game is visually beautiful, but each location just feels... bland and empty when exploring. And why was Lorelei's Harp gimped? Proper underwater exploration could have made up for some of the other drawbacks.

Still, I like XI. Hopefully the ending is good!

This map is so small and boring. Dragon Quest XI's story is good enough (so far, I'm not quite done with it yet), and the game is visually beautiful, but each location just feels... bland and empty when exploring. And why was Lorelei's Harp gimped? Proper underwater exploration could have made up for some of the other drawbacks.

I thought that before playing, but it seems as big as DQVIII to me now. I thought I'd miss the complete freedom of movement of DQVIII but honestly I was 100 hours into 11 before I remembered that that was a complaint about it. Didn't/Doesn't bother me in the least.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
On 11/30/2018 at 4:51 PM, Erdrick The Hero said:

I thought that before playing, but it seems as big as DQVIII to me now. I thought I'd miss the complete freedom of movement of DQVIII but honestly I was 100 hours into 11 before I remembered that that was a complaint about it. Didn't/Doesn't bother me in the least.

I mean, I'm saved right before the final boss (his second form just wiped the floor with my party), but the whole game so far feels like they just forgot how to make exploring fun. Go here. Do this. Go there. Do that. Yeah, there's stuff like the crossbow targets, but that's not *exciting*, it's just busy work.

That and I'm doing at least 600-700 damage per turn and yet somehow still feel underpowered. What is this? It's like they switched to using Final Fantasy damage calculations in the middle of the game.

Yea they changed all the “Calculations” for everything, whether that be damage, XP, etc. I really hate that so far. And I miss maps like the first dragon warrior games that were un-linear and you could explore them, and do stuff in different orders. DQ11 is so small, and condensed.

Yea they changed all the “Calculations” for everything, whether that be damage, XP, etc. I really hate that so far. And I miss maps like the first dragon warrior games that were un-linear and you could explore them, and do stuff in different orders. DQ11 is so small, and condensed.
They did? Huh, 100 hours in and I didn't notice. I'm quite the surface player though. It's DQ, it's fun. I rarely put much more thought into it than that. I'm trying harder for the games I'm reviewing now but really games are either fun or not, I barely sweat or give two flying fish about the small stuff.

*and pretty much every single thing but "does the battle system make me want to play more" is small stuff.

38 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

They did? Huh, 100 hours in and I didn't notice. I'm quite the surface player though. It's DQ, it's fun. I rarely put much more thought into it than that. I'm trying harder for the games I'm reviewing now but really games are either fun or not, I barely sweat or give two flying fish about the small stuff.

*and pretty much every single thing but "does the battle system make me want to play more" is small stuff.

I didn’t notice any major difference in “calculations,” apart from magic spells. Just seems like the natural higher progression in physical damage each new game has for the good, later abilities. Or even for earlier abilities like Parallax for the 8th character. That #$*! is good whether the character is Oomphed or not.

Magic did get a real increase in damage, which is good because magic is underwhelming in some DQ games. In 11 it actually felt useful and made the magic related stats worthwhile.

Personally I don’t have too many qualms with Dragon Quest XI. Series change as time goes on, and aspects of them will change as well. However, Dragon Quest benefits from still having Yuji Horii at the helm, so the writing quality for characters, NPCs, and town stories was top notch. And the shift in tone once Act 2 starts. And the gameplay is still a lot of fun, and the whole experience kept me hooked for over 200 hours to get the platinum trophy.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Maybe the changes aren't as severe as I first thought... It's occured to me that my party is well past level 50 (almost 60!), but I've never gone past level 45 in any other DQ game (except X, but I still beat the V1.0 final boss before reaching 50, thanks to Cranberry's help).

Maybe the changes aren't as severe as I first thought... It's occured to me that my party is well past level 50 (almost 60!), but I've never gone past level 45 in any other DQ game (except X, but I still beat the V1.0 final boss before reaching 50, thanks to Cranberry's help).
Yeah, I'm over 70 and haven't grinded yet (although it's about time). Other than DQIX & DQH, I've never been so high a level either.

4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

grinded

I've always wondered what the past tense of grinding is, within the context of RPGs. I always assumed it was "ground".

I've always wondered what the past tense of grinding is, within the context of RPGs. I always assumed it was "ground".
Me and plurals don't always see eye-to-eye. My nickname at work is Mr. Moose. Kids over the past 10 years have bought me over 50 stuffed moose and moose-related items. I alternatively call them meese or mooses.

Wait WHAT? YOU'RE MR. MOOSE?

Started a decade ago with a girl that couldn't always spell her name correctly (lazy, left off end letters). So I called her by what she wrote. She found it funny and started messing around with vowels in my name. As things do, others heard her and shortened it. And then 1 kid bought me a stuffed moose... and now I have oil paintings and 3D printed Moose and just... everything!

So, you're not THE Mr. Moose.

Just "a"

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Just "a"

• Like 1