Reddragon18

Dragon Warrior 7 vs DQ7?

This thread is great because it draws out so many thoughts about being a Dragon Quest fan. They've done TONS of remakes of their games on different platforms, which have allowed people like me to enjoy them in different forms. I'm going to just take a second to appreciate this.

...Okay, with that out of the way, I have to actually analyze the question at hand. I can't really get into which game is in fact a better game because I don't think I have the technical knowledge and skill to do a breakdown and comparison. I will say that with the depth and class system, the PS1 version was not only ahead of it's time, but probably the deepest console game around. Unfortunately, I didn't get to play it upon release and bought it later from amazon. I played it and enjoyed it A TON.

Some years later, I got to experience the game with some major and minor tweaks on the 3DS. Still a fantastic game, and in addition, I got to take it with me and save whenever and wherever I wanted (for the most part). I had an absolutely amazing time and loved every bit of it. The portability and quick-save features were an absolute godsend for a busy guy like me. 

Without getting too deep, I'll say this:

Dragon Warrior VII on the PS1 was indeed masterful and was the better game, due largely to its originality.

Dragon Quest VII was a better game for me personally, because it allowed me to enjoy the experience in a way that fit well into my life. 

Oh absolutely I get the portability and how games fit into people’s time. However, I’m not in the position yet that I don’t have super limited time to play games. I’m 17, and still have plenty of free time. I think 7 on the DS fits better for people who are adults and are busier with life and don’t have the time to play the PS1 version. However, the problem I have is most people who I tried to have a discussion about this with IMMEDIATELY #$*! and push away the PS1 version without giving it a chance. I respect people’s time and life, however, I don’t believe games should be stripped down just to fit their needs because there busy. But, this is an equal case: “Want a longer, non linear, more complex game? Play the PS1 version, Want a faster streamlined easier expierence? The DS version is for you.” So I like that we have two options fitting for both sides. Unfortunately other series have suffered majorly from this issue and have not found good balance.

23 hours ago, Reddragon18 said:

Oh absolutely I get the portability and how games fit into people’s time. However, I’m not in the position yet that I don’t have super limited time to play games. I’m 17, and still have plenty of free time. I think 7 on the DS fits better for people who are adults and are busier with life and don’t have the time to play the PS1 version. However, the problem I have is most people who I tried to have a discussion about this with IMMEDIATELY #$*! and push away the PS1 version without giving it a chance. I respect people’s time and life, however, I don’t believe games should be stripped down just to fit their needs because there busy. But, this is an equal case: “Want a longer, non linear, more complex game? Play the PS1 version, Want a faster streamlined easier expierence? The DS version is for you.” So I like that we have two options fitting for both sides. Unfortunately other series have suffered majorly from this issue and have not found good balance.

Exactly. The fact that Dragon Quest is able to create remakes that allow a larger audience to enjoy their games in a way that fits is a win in my book.