Reddragon18

Dragon Warrior 7 vs DQ7?

I played the 3DS version first then the PS1 version and I gotta say why did the game get better?

i enjoyed the PSX version farrrr more than the 3DS, no lag, better MIDI sound engine IMO, graphics are just more appealing and fit the games atmosphere far better than the new cutesy ones. Holy #$*! the temple at the beginning and it’s puzzles has to make my favorite intros to gaming period just huge temple compared to the shitty tiny non intersting new one. And some puzzles seemed to be harder in this one, like more complex, the one that comes to mind is Orgodemirs final dungeon has 2 major sections not in the 3DS version, why did they remove/dumb down so much stuff. They even removed battle chat this surprised me most. And I know this games infamous for getting a direct translation however I think it fits the game so much better, so much grittier and darker, and more mysterious I feel it barely had this atmosphere in the 3DS, and abilities carryjing over between classes including advanced ones, even more awesome. I know many people said the game was a huge improvement, however, playing them in backwards order I’m a bit disappointed in the remake, the 3DS version is still a good game, but hot damn the PS1 version is masterful.

I forgot to mention but I also like the names a lot better like Gabo instead of ruff and Melvin instead of Mervyn, and fire,water,earth, wind shards much better name then colored fragments.

Edited by sad46

I enjoy both. Each has their charms.

I enjoyed the 3DS version, however, I just have so many gripes with it after playing the PSX version. Someone made a re-patch of our 3DS version lag free and with orchestra music which I’ll be happy to try again however the atmosphere of the original will be missed.

• Like 1

-

Edited by ignasia

To me, the 3DS version was a huge letdown.

I never played more than a couple of hours into the original release, despite having owned it for years - I really needed the game on a handheld to be able to retain interest in it, but honestly, despite liking the game overall, I probably have more issues with this game than any other Dragon Quest game.

And I think most of those issues would actually be overcome by the original version. I think it's very easy to look at what looks like general polish and objective quality-of-life improvements and deem it an improvement, but there are so many more subtle factors that end up playing a role in an 80+ hour game. And to me what stood out the most was how fast you got rushed through every single story vignette, without giving it time to grow, and how completely superfluous combat felt in the game.

However, without thorough experience with the PS1 version, it's just speculation on my part. I did notice, however, that when I recently went through every single DQ game, the ones I liked the most also happened to be the ones that I didn't play as remakes. Coincidence?

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

To me, the 3DS version was a huge letdown.

I never played more than a couple of hours into the original release, despite having owned it for years - I really needed the game on a handheld to be able to retain interest in it, but honestly, despite liking the game overall, I probably have more issues with this game than any other Dragon Quest game.

Thanks to you the localization staff is now on suicide watch.

58 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Thanks to you the localization staff is now on suicide watch.

Either that or they are now all suddenly alcoholics.

I prefered the 3ds version more, since it's on the 3ds and I can actually finish it on my own time. I have played the PS1 version though, but that was 5 years ago and the furthest I made it to was Rexwood. Then I gave up. I have no clue where it is now, so I'm not going to be finishing that version anytime soon. One day, but not today.

Either that or they are now all suddenly alcoholics.
Come now. Coming up with ALL those puns? They were probably already alcoholics.
I enjoy both. Each has their charms.
This. I enjoy all the updates in the 3DS version. I really do. The original I best twice and it holds a special place in my gaming history, but I doubt I'll ever go back to it.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:05 AM, sad46 said:

I played the 3DS version first then the PS1 version and I gotta say why did the game get better?

i enjoyed the PSX version farrrr more than the 3DS, no lag, better MIDI sound engine IMO, graphics are just more appealing and fit the games atmosphere far better than the new cutesy ones. Holy #$*! the temple at the beginning and it’s puzzles has to make my favorite intros to gaming period just huge temple compared to the shitty tiny non intersting new one. And some puzzles seemed to be harder in this one, like more complex, the one that comes to mind is Orgodemirs final dungeon has 2 major sections not in the 3DS version, why did they remove/dumb down so much stuff. They even removed battle chat this surprised me most. And I know this games infamous for getting a direct translation however I think it fits the game so much better, so much grittier and darker, and more mysterious I feel it barely had this atmosphere in the 3DS, and abilities carryjing over between classes including advanced ones, even more awesome. I know many people said the game was a huge improvement, however, playing them in backwards order I’m a bit disappointed in the remake, the 3DS version is still a good game, but hot damn the PS1 version is masterful.

I forgot to mention but I also like the names a lot better like Gabo instead of ruff and Melvin instead of Mervyn, and fire,water,earth, wind shards much better name then colored fragments.

Literally the best post on the Dragon's Den in years. I agree 300% with everything here (besides spelling).

I was never a huge fan of the original. I thought the 3DS version cleaned up a lot of problems nicely. Mainly how slowly it paces. It's a notoriously lengthy game, but you have to go through an extensively long puzzle in the beginning of the game and could spend 1-2 hours before you even see your first battle.

The godawful sprites looked like Fisher Price Little People.

IMG_5187.JPG

One of my problems with the original and the remake are the amount of repetition of going through past and present versions of the same towns over and over again.

In the 3DS version the battles are better, Maribel is somehow less annoying, and the graphics are a noticeable improvement. I think to play and enjoy DW7 you have to be a DQ fan to get beyond its flaws (how long the game was, how poor the graphics were despite being the tail end of the entire PSX era), but a new player could pick up DQVII-3DS and enjoy it having never played the series before (wouldn't be my recommendation as an entry-point to the series, but it's still way better IMO than the original.) It is a much more modern experience and better overall quality game. My one disappointment in the whole remake is entirely minor in that it's missing the Shepherd's Slumber (or Rest) spell, where you can recoup MP by "rest-walking," but once battle begins your rested characters begin battle asleep. It's something that was introduced in the original DQVI and was really helpful in the original DWVII where you can run out of MP easily, grinding for monster hearts.

Edited by Liamland

If there’s one thing I hate about the 3DS remake, it’s how the butchered the puzzles at the beginning. Honestly that lengthy dungeon of puzzles before finding the tablet pedestals was fun, and made for an interesting and different opening compared to other DQ games. The back and forth to find the right item to enter the ruins was meh, but once you got inside things improved.

2 hours ago, Liamland said:

The godawful sprites looked like Fisher Price Little People.

You must not like the DS versions of 4, 5, and 6 then since they use the same graphical style for characters.

It does seem like you just genuinely don’t like DQ7, or at least that’s the impression I’ve gotten. Totally fine if you don’t like it of course, it’s not going to be for everyone. It and DQ6 are definitely the most divisive games in the series amongst fans/RPG players, that’s for sure. Definitely “love it or hate it,” games.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I like aspects of each. I was a little upset when the 3ds version straight out cut some parts of dungeons. It's super noticable in the second bonus dungeon too. But I love grottoes (if only they offered a touch more customization), and the new animations for monsters sleeping and such.

Hey @YangustheLegendaryBandit, I don't get the same Fisher Price Little People vibe from the DS character sprites that I do with the PSX sprites. I think the PSX sprites look shorter and stockier, which gives it that feel, but it's also low quality graphics overall for a PSX game, particularly a PSX game that was released so late in the console's run that the PS2 was already out in both Japan and the US. I get that graphics aren't everything, but it was part of the reason I didn't enjoy DWVII as much as I'd hoped I would, back in 2001. In contrast DQVIII-PS2 was a giant leap forward for character sprites & design, map design, battles, and overall gameplay and the original (despite some improvements made by the rereleases) still holds up today.

The reason the sprites looked as they did was the game was so #$*!ing big they couldn’t fit better graphics and the only people who complain about graphics are “graphics whore’s”. I stand by this till the end of time.

1 hour ago, Liamland said:

Hey @YangustheLegendaryBandit, I don't get the same Fisher Price Little People vibe from the DS character sprites that I do with the PSX sprites. I think the PSX sprites look shorter and stockier, which gives it that feel, but it's also low quality graphics overall for a PSX game, particularly a PSX game that was released so late in the console's run that the PS2 was already out in both Japan and the US. I get that graphics aren't everything, but it was part of the reason I didn't enjoy DWVII as much as I'd hoped I would, back in 2001. In contrast DQVIII-PS2 was a giant leap forward for character sprites & design, map design, battles, and overall gameplay and the original (despite some improvements made by the rereleases) still holds up today.

They are quite literally the exact same sprites. The only difference being the main cast (Gabo isn't in Dragon Quest V, for example) and the hats on priests have about 4 pixels that are different to change the cross to a... whatever the trident thing in the new games is.

Dragon Quest IV on DS even still has the sprites for each party member to pick up barrels/pots/flowers/etc., even though the feature was removed.

5 hours ago, sad46 said:

The reason the sprites looked as they did was the game was so #$*!ing big they couldn’t fit better graphics and the only people who complain about graphics are “graphics whore’s”. I stand by this till the end of time.

Well there are a lot of them and they flock to buy Final Fantasy in droves. For DQVII I'd have preferred a smaller game with less repetitive gameplay and better graphics--essentially what the 3DS version is today (except without the past vs. present islands). I would argue that just as graphics alone don't make a game neither does focusing on packing in content to spite other aspects of the game. Marketable DQ titles (IMO) find better balance between content and graphics like DQVIII or more recently DQXI. Look at how many newcomers played DQXI, for example. The graphics are the first thing people see, and it had a solid content balance to match it (from what I hear, as I'm still playing through, myself.)

Erdrick, I'd have to look at a side by side comparison. I don't remember sprites being virtually the same between PSX and DS versions. I remember the DS/Mobile sprites being pixelated, but crisper. I remember DWVII's being kinda fuzzy or blurry. I may be misremembering, but I'll have to look that up later.

Edited by Liamland

Liam the sprites are the exact same just google it, takes 5 seconds. And I’m not talking about selling points, I’m saying graphics don’t make a game better I don’t care how many people like DQ11, just for the graphics. All I’m saying is these people are “graphics whores” and don’t understand the basic fundamentals of a video game.

Even if the sprites and graphics are the same, it's how I feel about the game overall. During its release in 2001 it frustrated me that the graphics weren't better for a late-release PSX game and that DWVII wasn't solid enough to be a stand-out title in the gaming industry for the PSX. It's still a DQ game and I enjoyed it as a fan because no DQ game is bad. But I was originally disappointed that we waited 10 years for a new mainline DQ series game and we didn't get something better, something on par with PSX's arguably more notable titles. The 3DS version of DQVII was a better version, IMO. Better look, faster pace, and I also dug the cosplay improvements made to the class changing. I even found Maribel more tolerable in this version for some reason.

I think graphics are a significant part of the gameplay and the marketing. I don't always agree that remakes are better, but I do think graphics can affect one's enjoyment of a title--good or bad. If more newcomers bought DQXI simply because of graphics then that's good for the series. I bet it blew their minds to find the characters, content and gameplay were excellent, too! 😁

Sad, really I consider it the best DQ game and easily one of the best JRPGs I’ve played just such an underrated game.

VII's sprites may look blurrier due to being displayed on a CRT TV, or being filtered by an emulator. If you play in an emulator without filtering the sprites, you'll see they are identical.

DQVII's engine has a bug where occasionally, depending on where the sprite is, a character's head may stretch by about a pixel, or lose a row of pixels for a frame or two of their animation, but usually at least one frame is not effected. This however, is a rendering issue and isn't due to the sprites themselves.

dragon-warrior-vii-image589377.jpg

dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-brid

The PSX version is stretched to a slightly different aspect ratio, but compare the salesman sprite and the elderly lady sprites in these screenshots from Dragon Warrior VII PS1 and Dragon Quest V DS.

The DS games did have quite a bit of new sprite work done (such as Monster Gramps and the red-clad elderly lad in the DQV screenshot above, plus most of the monster companions), but the DS games re-used as many assets from DQ7 and DQ4 for PS1 as they could.

On 12/1/2018 at 2:35 AM, Erdrick The Hero said:

and the red-clad elderly lad in the DQV screenshot above

That's absolutely a palette swap :P

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

That's absolutely a palette swap :P

I included it as new since the original variant also exists in the game.

3DS version was good, but PS1 version was and is my favorite Dragon Quest game. I absolutely love that engine and I am glad they reused it in the 4-6 remakes. The ability to make god-like characters capable of using every skill and spell in the game is exciting to me. I also miss how fast battles moved in the older games.

Edited by GrandAlchemist
  • Like 3