Choppasmith

Project RE-Quest - Modernizing old DW releases CURRENT: DW1 V1 Released!

First release is out!

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4237/

So, what is this?

I'm a Dragon Quest fan. Yeah I played the original Dragon Warrior for NES, but it wasn't until Square-Enix's recent releases and completely overhauled localization that really made me a hardcore Dragon Quest fan. Square-Enix released some decent remakes of the Erdrick trilogy (I-III) on Mobile devices based on the Super Famicom remakes (DQ I+II getting a bit more visual polish). The upside is that these featured a lush, extravagant translation that mixed the old school Olde English dialog of the NES games with a bit more flair and charm of Modern Dragon Quest releases. These releases are also consistent with other games that reference them directly like Dragon Quest Builders. The downside to these mobile exclusives are... well, they're exclusive to mobile devices, and from a technical standpoint... they're not the best. No controller support, stuck in portrait mode! Yuck! What if I just want to play the games the good ol' fashioned way?

And this is where PROJECT RE-QUEST comes in. Inspired by the likes of 121J and Chaos Rush with their Final Fantasy Script port hacks and recently being able to extract the scripts from the three mobile games, I now have the means to port the scripts to the three Dragon Quest games.

So are you doing Dragon WARRIOR NES or the Dragon Warrior remakes on SFC?

I plan to do BOTH. While the NES versions are certainly dated, and the scripts are based on the remakes, I want to give people options. Sometimes you just want that good old broken NES difficulty and 8 bit graphics. I'm a bit of an amateur ROM Hacker though, so don't go expecting anything miraculous.

Puff Puff?

Oh yeah! You betcha ;)

Current Status?

Well here's where you can come in, I've attached my first release. I need to see how well the script performs and outside of a couple of tweaks is pretty much finished. Aside from possible bugs, the formatting for the text is taken straight from the mobile version, there may be some instances where there needs to be a break or a break where none is needed. Let me know what you think. Also, I'd like some help in getting screenshots for comparison here's a couple I managed to take.

bEkq8jC.png

paalxvg.png

ed8OVV0.png

CaWgHom.png

ZNbfO4F.png

oGqzO55.png

CYdYjMV.png

PBta7Zp.png

kqMDhTk.png

w8FxfpW.png

8OKKTw7.png

Also, while not in my test release, I'm very pleased to show off my new logo

GvPRw5e.png

Now I can hear some of you crying, "Boo! Why can't we get the proper logo in here?" Believe me if I could I would, but the graphics programming is a MESS, you'd pretty much have to reprogram the title screen from scratch and that's daunting for even the most experienced ROM hacker letalone an amateur like me. I figured this would be a great compromise. Thanks again @Dwaine for tracking down the font that I used (via the preview) to make a mockup and then convert it to pixels.

DW1 RE-Quest RC1.7z

DW1 RE-Quest RC2.7z

Edited by Choppasmith

Really cool!

The title needs a space, though.

@Choppasmith

I am in love with you and want to marry you.

In all seriousness this is something I've been wanting since the mobile releases dropped. Thank you so very much.

Shouldn't "Run" on the menu be changed to "Flee"?

Fires anyone have a save file for DW1 that's fairly far along? Would like to see all the changes

This looks pretty cool. 

22 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

I think that depends on which version he wants to wholly represent - the NA version of DW says "Run", but in JP DQ, I think it is indeed "Flee", and I think in the SFC remake it says Flee as well. Don't quote me on this tho.

Regarding the proper logo - there's probably someone at Romhacking.net who could/might be willing to help out with that? idk.

Edited by TheRaven81

This looks amazing,I can't wait for the SFC Version.

Edited by Maxrebo

I gotta say that the NES version of Dragon Quest is pretty great. I know its not a HUGE change, but it kinda makes all the difference to me. I like to replay these games but want variations in mechanics and graphics whilst maintaining the same quality of writing.

On 10/20/2018 at 7:12 AM, AustNerevar said:

Fires anyone have a save file for DW1 that's fairly far along? Would like to see all the changes

Thanks for reminding me. I planned to that early on, but wasn't sure if I would be able to. Now I've gotten to learn how DW menus work.

yNbiYZq.png

gxWh1us.png

Zff9yO6.png

F52Sn5g.png

EpABdDs.png

Notice the British spellings and extra S added to SPELL and ITEM.

Still not sure if I should keep the ALL CAPS for things to retain that classic feel or if it would be better to implement proper case.

In any case these new tweaks and several bugs and script fixes were added into a second test release in the first post!

Once this is done, I plan on fixing it up so it can be installed on hacked 3/2DS's. :D!

Once this is done, I plan on fixing it up so it can be installed on hacked 3/2DS's. slimeys_ws-slimebigsmile.gif!

Willy you be posting a CIA file?

Yeah, there's a guy on a 3DS site I go to that makes good-looking stuffs.

I usually just inject this sort of thing as a virtual console game.

THIS IS INCREDIBLE.  Exactly the kind of project I wanted to see.  Oh man, if we could get IV-VI done the same way that would be so cool.  But for now, I'm really excited to try out I-III on NES and SFC.

Would it be possible to hack the SPELLS menu to display two-line spell names, as it does for items? Holy Protection sticks out like a sore thumb. (Or perhaps even just expand the window horizontally?)

Also, while the start menu DOES say "Venture Forth" in the iOS/Android games... I really think Continue an Adventure would be used for a console release, to match the rest of the series.

16 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Would it be possible to hack the SPELLS menu to display two-line spell names, as it does for items? Holy Protection sticks out like a sore thumb. (Or perhaps even just expand the window horizontally?)

Also, while the start menu DOES say "Venture Forth" in the iOS/Android games... I really think Continue an Adventure would be used for a console release, to match the rest of the series.

For your first bit, just FYI, it does display the full name when you cast it. The thing is things get kinda messy in battle if you do too much with the windows (monster sprites always appear on TOP of the windows). I already moved the spell window all the way to the right to keep it out of the way of the monster sprites. What sucks, there's a little bit of code before each bit of window text that says how big the window is and where it is, and where the  cursor should be, etc. Like normal dialog, there are pointers that the game looks for that points to where the window codes and text are. There are SEPARATE pointers for spells inside and outside of battle but they point to the same code. If I had a little more space, I could at least make it work outside of battle but I can't. Besides, I tried it right now. Thought it'd be easy to just add Holy<Line break>Protection, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Will have to see how DW2 works. There's many MORE long spells in that game (not only Holy Protection, but Safe Passage and Hocus Pocus at least)

Speaking of space, for your second bit, I don't disagree, but space is INCREDIBLY limited in that area (when I uploaded my patch I discovered LAST MINUTE that menus were messed up and had to spend another couple hours rearranging menu data for it to work again. It's incredibly frustrating, as you have to make sure it's "padded" enough so other text/data doesn't spill over into other menus). The spells menu I just mentioned AND that are part of the same block of text after some rearranging I got it to have literally 3 bytes of space leftover). If it were up to me and I had the space, the main menu would all have ADVENTURE added to LOG.

Edited by Choppasmith

Hmm... Could the ROM be expanded?

48 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Hmm... Could the ROM be expanded?

It already is for dialog, but you’d have to reprogram the menus to point to the new space (not as easy as it sounds) and I don’t think it’s worth the hassle figuring out tbh.

If dialogue boxes can already read from a different PRG bank, would it be possible (assuming you haven't done so already) to move ALL dialogue to the new PRG bank, and store all menu text in the original bank?

I know far less about NES programming/hardware than you must (to have done any of this in the first place), but I did read up on NES ROM expansion this morning before posting my previous reply.

Not a big deal, and you probably just haven't gotten to it yet, but I noticed the window titles are off-center now. (I assume because you modified the window sizes.)

19 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

I know far less about NES programming/hardware than you must (to have done any of this in the first place), but I did read up on NES ROM expansion this morning before posting my previous reply.

Well to be honest, neither do I, I've gotten a bunch of gracious help from someone who happened to be doing a lot of work on Dragon Warrior this past year or so (it's why i'd rather not push my luck and risk more headaches getting something I feel is really minor to work). It was really a matter of fortunate timing. Dragon Warrior II looks a LOT crazier (from a programming/community knowledge standpoint) so I don't think my overhaul there will be as robust as this.

But I did look through and fix the menu titles. To be honest, the originals were a little off anyway (SPELL and COMMAND are odd-numbered words, don't you DARE ask to add an S just to make it even :(), so it didn't really bother me (gives off a file folder vibe to me), but it was a great learning experience as I wasn't sure if I even COULD fix that.

jzBSLjc.png

Just for educational fun, I'll share what I've learned. Here's part of my dump for the menu text

<80>5im8x<8B>COMMAND<88><81>TALK<84>SPELLS<80><81>STATUS<82>ITEMS<80><81>STAIRS<82>DOOR<80><81>SEARCH<82>TAKE<80>

There's some info here on the Rom Hacking Wiki

http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Dragon_Warrior:ROM_map#Menu_Format

But basically 80 sets window as double spaced with a cursor, the 05 is Window height, the i (12 hex) is the window width (it was previously 10), the m (16 hex) is x,y position of window, the 8 is second column cursor position, and the x (21) is starting cursor position. I had only JUST discovered that the 8B is how long the line before COMMAND is. And the 80 numbers you see between the Menu words are basically the number of spaces between (80 is new line, after that it's basically 8x and x is the number of spaces, can only be 1-7, anything over that are for the menu borders) each item on the menu. Had a devil of a time making sure everything was spaced properly after expanding the window.

Edited by Choppasmith

Ooh, fun.

@Choppasmith how is the progress going?  Gotta say, you pulled through with DWI.  It’s great.  Are the other games coming along all right?

Edited by Sackchief

Any updates?

Sorry, been busy with work at my Full-ish time job. Been using the little time I have to play DQ XI. Please keep in mind while I intend to keep at it progress will be slow. I think doing each game will take at least a couple of months. I should get some time this week that I can finish up and release DW1 and get started on 2.

• Like 1

Take your time, we're all looking forward to the final product. :)  I'm planning a new run of the original trilogy, but I'm gonna wait for your release before starting.