Sign in to follow this  
Democrobot

Super Mario Party

I've been playing a lot of Super Mario Party lately and I have to say, it is definitely a solid game. It has pros and cons though. I'll give my opinion here

PROS
- Character selection. Diverse and plenty of fun
- Unique blocks for each character
- Looks appealing and stays true to the Mario style
- Music is enjoyable and suitable for background music/white noise
- Minigames are tons of fun
- Controls are easy to learn
- The different modes offer a variety of ways to play

CONS
- Motion controls are mandatory (I personally like them, but not everyone will)
- Boards are a little small and lack diversity (4 boards is not all that much)
- The item selection is a bit small compared to previous games and while this does make it easy to learn, for older players it can be a bit frustrating with how limiting it is
- Specific minigames require a second Switch to play, which is fine if you have a friend or relative who owns their own console and copy of the game

Overall, I would give this game a solid 8.5/10

I played it this past weekend at a friend's place. After playing a lot of Mario Party 8 with friends, but instantly disliking Mario Party 9's (all players in one car) game style, this was a refreshing return to the classic board game style we love. We only played one stage, it was the one that looked like Mayan ruins. It did feel smaller than we're used to. The Donkey Kong board from MP8 felt huge by comparison. It was fun, but I'd like to play more stages to see how we like them. One thing that pissed off my friend was the bonus star for moving the least amount of spaces. My buddy was pissed because he lost the game to our other friend who gained a bonus star for essentially rolling low the entire game. It was a bonus star for something that really isn't an accomplishment.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:03 AM, Liamland said:

My buddy was pissed because he lost the game to our other friend who gained a bonus star for essentially rolling low the entire game. It was a bonus star for something that really isn't an accomplishment.

The bonus stars in this game are a bit odd. They're random so it's hard to play around them to secure a win like in previous installments. So far I have come across the bonus stars for having the most coins, winning the most minigames, landing on the most red spaces/bad luck/ultra bad luck spaces, moving the least, stomping the most, being stomped on the most, having the most allies, having the correct ally, moving the most, and moving the least. I think the only one that would be left would be the event space bonus star.