Woodus

Dragon Quest I and II Android-iOS Monster Sprites Updated

Thanks to the work by Choppasmith I have updated the Dragon Quest I and Dragon Quest II for Android-iOS monster lists to have the monster sprites from the games, rather than in game screenshots.

Added the original sized sprites as the thumbnail version and then sized up 2x if you click on them.

DQ 1 - https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq1andios/monsters.php

DQ 2  - https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq2andios/monsters.php

Samples:

knight_aberrant_th.pngred_dragon_th.pngdancing_flame_th.pnghunter_mech_th.png

• Upvote 2

I never noticed this playing thru both games, but it looks like the DQ1 monsters are larger and have more detail, I'm guessing since they don't appear in groups and are the only monster on the screen. I'm using the 2x versions here to see the differences more easily.

green_dragon.pnggreen_dragon.png

That's really nice detail for DQ1 monsters. It is so cool to have these sprites. I'm glad Choppasmith found and posted them. And nice clean up work to you too, Woodus.

5 hours ago, Woodus said:

I never noticed this playing thru both games, but it looks like the DQ1 monsters are larger and have more detail, I'm guessing since they don't appear in groups and are the only monster on the screen. I'm using the 2x versions here to see the differences more easily.

green_dragon.pnggreen_dragon.png

That’s what I figured. The DQ2 mobile monster sprites look like they would be in the PS1 remakes of Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 & 2.

On 8/22/2018 at 7:42 AM, Woodus said:

I'm guessing since they don't appear in groups and are the only monster on the screen

Hey happy to help! It's funny you say that though. The script seems to have dialog indicating monster parties with the monster showing plural versions. It goes something like "slime<>slimes<a group of slimes>"

Not sure if was just overkill by the localization team or if adding group battles were really planned at one point.

I'm guessing overkill though. Both DQ2 and 3's script actually includes genderless variations of dialog ("What luck! He/She/It found the <Item>")

On 8/26/2018 at 4:15 AM, Choppasmith said:

DQ2 and 3's script actually includes genderless variations of dialog ("What luck! He/She/It found the <Item>")

What no "They/Ze found the item"? reeeeeeeeeeeeee let's all protest over a 30 year old game not adhering to today's gender fluidisms! :????:

On 8/26/2018 at 1:15 AM, Choppasmith said:

Hey happy to help! It's funny you say that though. The script seems to have dialog indicating monster parties with the monster showing plural versions. It goes something like "slime<>slimes<a group of slimes>"

Not sure if was just overkill by the localization team or if adding group battles were really planned at one point.

I'm guessing overkill though. Both DQ2 and 3's script actually includes genderless variations of dialog ("What luck! He/She/It found the <Item>")

All modern English Dragon Quest games do this, in a similar format, too. They probably pulled that from a database that has all the localized names/grammar for every monster in the series. The same engine is used for II and III, so it was probably just less work to leave the unused portions in the script since they're already formatted for the engine.