Dragonlord247

Can I play Dragon Quest IX's multiplayer on a 3DS?

So recently I've gotten back into Dragon Quest IX and I thought to myself that my cousin would love this game, which he told me it look fun after I showed it to him. However, he broke his DS years ago and he has a 3DS now. And I've asked on Reddit about this issue cause I want to play with my cousin and so far I've gotten mixed results (still got my old DS though so I could still play with people that way.)  But what was most confusing is that I was watching the youtuber saigancat play DQIX and he was playing multiplayer, and he seemed to be on the 3DS. (He mentioned the Streetpass system, so I assumed that he was.)

I mean, that's potential evidence that it works, but I'd just like to know if we can or not...Still gonna get the game for him though.

You can do multiplayer on a 3DS. Just can’t download any of the DLC stuff.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:17 PM, eal said:

You can do multiplayer on a 3DS. Just can’t download any of the DLC stuff.

Do note that you can't download any of the DLC stuff on a normal DS, either, since the Nintendo WFC service (which the DLC basically ran on) shut down ages ago. But that doesn't have anything to do with DQIX's multiplayer, which still works as well as it ever did.

Yes. We have a few people in our Dragon Quest NY group who play in multiplayer on 3DS. The game's multiplayer can connect various DS devices simultaneously. I primarily play on DSi XL with other 3DS players, when I play DQIX with the group.