Sign in to follow this  
Bynine

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 Randomizer

hey folks, long time no see! on a whim over these past couple of days i wrote up a little program that can create a randomized version of Dragon Warrior Monsters 2. it can change where monsters spawn/you get in events (for example, you could start off with any monster) and it can even change the characteristics of the monsters themselves. it's pretty simple to use, just check the README if you have any difficulties. enjoy and please let me know if you have any feedback! (note that it requires you already own a ROM file of either DWM2 game.)

link to download the program: https://www.dropbox.com/s/88mledpaslua2i3/DWM2Randomizer_v1_0.zip?dl=0

I would totally try this out if I did more on my computer. A randomizer for Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 sounds like fun.

• Upvote 1

Yoooooooo! I haven't seen you in forever!

Wow! Bynine, so great to see you back here.  And you brought us a present!  I have been thinking that I am due for another DWM2 play-through, so this might be just the extra push I needed.

Thanks!

Man,I am late to the party,but you made my day.I enjoy randomising Pojemon games,and you are telling me that I can now do it to my other fave game? WOOHOO!

I love this. I was planning on making a DWM1 randomizer and fell through when I couldn't figure out how to usefully parse the GBC data.

First runthrough is kind of rough for me because early divinegons and Darcks in oasis are tempting but are not fun to level, so I'm going to be struggling until I get breeding unlocked. An option to replace monsters with equivalent tiered monsters would work I think, since the monsters are already tiered by star level in the library.

This needed more testing. Also, you seem to really like High Jump skill)

There are several major bugs in this one.

The most prominent are the invalid-family monsters, some of which can cause the game to lock up just by viewing any screen on which their family is stated. Sometimes they can be bred (and give monsters totally not corresponding to any breeding recipe with their base species - I remember something along the lines of a Putrepup giving a Catapila) and sometimes it just makes the emulator hard-lock with an interesting screech.

(Also, bred monsters retain their original families. Only wild monsters get their families randomized.)

Another is that the moves look... buggy, even for a randomizer. As the person above says, HighJump appears an abnormal amount, and several monsters learn advanced versions of moves - not the base moves, just those. For instance, in one randomized file, Gulpple is listed in the library as learning WhiteAir and BazooCall. Not FrigidAir and TatsuCall - it can't actually learn those - just WhiteAir and BazooCall. As far as the HighJump issue, about half the monsters I randomly glanced through in the library learn HighJump - GiantWorm even gets it twice (Informer/HighJump/HIghJump). My best guess is that the randomizer fails to properly set all the moves and HighJump is index 00, but I don't actually know how to check that.

The randomized ROM is incapable of progressing to the postgame - it freezes on a white screen after Warabou says "No one knows how many other worlds exist out there.  You'll never ever run out of other worlds to explore, warooh!" The only way around this is to savestate before that point, load the savestate in an untouched ROM and proceed through the ending sequence as normal, then savestate afterwards and load that savestate in the randomized ROM again.

Finally - and this isn't exactly a bug, but it's painful - there is no consistent source in Pirate World of a Water-family monster or a Dancer. ArmyAnt and MadGopher are also not guaranteed, and may have to be bred manually. I'd say this is almost a bad an issue as the invalid-family monsters, because the playthrough hits a brick wall while the player attempts to accost every single monster in the vicinity in search of the fabled Water-family monster (while dodging invalid-family monsters), then in search of the legendary Dancer. Then the game progresses for a bit, only to hit another wall as the player grinds out the aforementioned two monsters for Ice World. Compounding the issue is the mandatory Arena fights for the Pirate Key, which can often have monsters sporting WhiteAir or similar moves - so the player hits a brick wall just trying to get to Pirate, hits a brick wall IN Pirate, and hits a brick wall trying to get to the key after Pirate. While the randomizer is working as intended, it doesn't quite mesh with the rigid requirements of the mandatory story events.

Overall, it's fun when it works, but when the game can crash for no good reason except Families Which Should Not Be, it can be a slog.

I would definitely agree with the comments above, although I have never had any crashes when viewing monsters with different families even when they weren't vanilla. However, I do think not automatically being given ArmyAnt and MadGopher in Pirate is an interesting change and challenge, particularly for speedrunning attempts; it forces you to plan ahead with catching different families of monsters, or consider doing C class early to get a Magic Key (where spawns aren't randomized and you have a decent chance of getting something that helps). Getting a monster with a dance skill is kind of a pain, although I've had pretty good luck with getting something with either Magic Keys or careful Library checking, and the Kid's Class battle can be beaten even with hard skills (maybe excluding things like HellBlast that demand good RNG to dodge) if you find monsters with good resistances. As for the HighJump moves, through some testing I have discovered that they aren't all the same move; for instance, some crash the game when used through the menu outside of battle, and some do different things in battle (most involve skipping the monster's turn in some way). This should probably be remedied in a better randomizer, but it's avoidable. And I would also say that letting monsters have weird moves in the wild (for instance WhiteAir or WhiteFire) makes some parts easier, but also adds another layer of nuance to the optimal strategy; sometimes weak stats prevent monsters with good skills being useful, and the fickle AI makes it hard to exploit unless you get lucky or spend lots of money on Ribs. Overall, it's a fun randomizer, and with some refinements it could be fun for racing (or even in its current state, competing to see who can unlock Ice Key fastest would be interesting); I also know that some other people have worked on their own randomizers, which are also worth a shot maybe.

I dont fully understand the appeal of a randomizer. How is it supposed to work? It seems to me that it would almost always been broken/unbalanced. I've completed a hack but I've wondering about creating a tool to shuffle this game. What kind of options would people be looking for in a randomizer? 

Randomized enemy levels would be very difficult. (Level 20 in Oasis would not be fun)
Randomized encounters would be dependent on monster stats (a strong monster may be twice as strong as a weak monster at the same level )
Randomized stats would make a mess of the breeding. 
Randomized skills would need some controls to ensure some skills aren't too common or too rare

I would like to define a sort of randomization that doesn't defeat the point of the monster variety and breeding paths.

The best I can think of it is create some randomness but base it around monster rarity. When you replay this game what is it that you want to rediscover? 

Edited by jonahstrix

@jonahstrix

I think especially for a game like this, having the unpredictability is kind of fun, and having Darck replaced with a SpotSlime or having Divinegons appear in Oasis is only part of the fun. Here's a list of features that I kind of hoped to find in a randomizer for this game (some of which may not be too feasible)

-Wild monsters, boss monsters, foreign master monsters, and arena monsters are all completely randomized

-Base stats shuffled around randomly, or perhaps something to redistribute them with the same totals 

-Skills shuffled around in a non-buggy way (no HighJump everywhere, and monsters probably shouldn't start with upgraded skills)

-Monster families shuffled

-If possible, randomize the world maps for Oasis, Pirate, Ice, etc. I'm not sure how you would do this while making sure that the map is still navigable and the same order of events is required (no matter how the Ice map is reshuffled, you still need to beat the mine, go back to Norden and beat "AgDevil," then save the other two castles)

-Magic Key monsters should be shuffled somehow, although I'm not sure how (probably in accordance with their new monster familes)

-There should be an option to shuffle breeding paths, or at least rearrange them (e.g. KingSlime+GoldGolem always gets you something specific, but whatever it ends up being is random). For extra chaos, arguably the purpose of randomizers, this should at least be an option

-There should be some difficulty toggles, at least to the point where if I want I can effectively create a new kaizo hack with every playthrough

Just some thoughts. 

• Like 1

I missed both posts from September somehow...Oddly, my crappy Meboy emulator only crashed by itself (it does that randomly on roms it considers odd, such as randomiseds), never when viewing stats/screen, or specific points.

Also, I am really weirded out by how few skills, like, say, Infermore, refused to upgrade propery, instead prompting the monster to try learning Infermost as a separate skill. Also, a lot of Xfamily+Yfamily combos refuse to work or me, iregardless of using naturally-typed or randomised mon (so I can't get a Putrepup still). And it seems AI still treats monsters with "normalised" (types are normal if you bred) types as whatever they were randomised into.

Hmm, I don't really get the fun of playing through the whole game for an anticlimactic final fight. I mean also if Divinegon is in Oasis at level 40 how do you win? Just reshuffle?

If I were to do this it would be based around rarity. Higher rarity -> better stats, higher chance to get better skills, less likely to appear in story keys

To some extent I would want the random stats to be lore compatible. For example Tortragon should have high def. Monster resistances seems like one of the most interesting things to change but it would also need some sort of pattern to ensure balance.

I wouldn't touch families or breeding

I would give the option to set the difficulty per stage. Hopefully I could configure it well enough that if you loved the Oasis shuffle but hated Pirate, you could reshuffle just that one world. 
I would want it so that once you beat the game you could reshuffle so Oasis monsters are level 80 etc.

• Upvote 1

I also forgot to complain it randomises genders, sometimes in a very annoying way (and it affects ???-family monsters you breed, too, so no more default male-ness and a huge possibility of having to spend gold on blessing) - I spent two days trying to catch a male Roboster, to no result.

I'm late to the party. I think a difficulty hack is all this game needs. Perhaps have a cut off for stats for monsters instead of everything going to 999 after 3 to 4 breeds. I'm unsure how good your hacking is but I'd love to replay the game see newer monsters or even events take place. I'd be willing to make sprites of newer DQ monsters just for it!

Posted (edited)

I didn't find away to change the difficulty the way you mentioned. Instead I just made the whole game much harder. If it's easy to max out your stats, then wild monsters should be a challenge. If you have a completed game on an emulator you can load up my hack and test your end-game team in the Lonely key. S rank tournament is definitely a challenge now too.

I am able to set the stats of enemies beyond 999 but that seemed like overkill in most cases.

It likely wouldn't be too hard to add new large sprites, the problem is the animated sprites. I don't know how to change the different types of animations. (each have different pieces that flip horizontally)

If I had the assistance of someone quite adept at reading assembly, I would love to create new maps. I'm kind of dependent on values that have already been found. I was only able to find a few things myself.

Edited by jonahstrix

On 1/9/2019 at 11:11 AM, jonahstrix said:

I didn't find away to change the difficulty the way you mentioned. Instead I just made the whole game much harder. If it's easy to max out your stats, then wild monsters should be a challenge. If you have a completed game on an emulator you can load up my hack and test your end-game team in the Lonely key. S rank tournament is definitely a challenge now too.

I am able to set the stats of enemies beyond 999 but that seemed like overkill in most cases.

It likely wouldn't be too hard to add new large sprites, the problem is the animated sprites. I don't know how to change the different types of animations. (each have different pieces that flip horizontally)

If I had the assistance of someone quite adept at reading assembly, I would love to create new maps. I'm kind of dependent on values that have already been found. I was only able to find a few things myself.

I haven't given your rom hack a try yet but I saw it on rom hacking. Maybe this weekend. Have you tried that sites tile editors? I've been able to change GBC sprites before although it's tedious. Sad these games never got the Pokemon level of rom editiors. (Map/tiles/events/etc)

Changing the enemies stats beyond 999 is a way to increase the difficulty, but like you said overkill. I recall in my maxed out Sidoh did 1000+ damage on twinhit boosted critical hits IIRC so steamrolling the late game was a breeze. (Twinhits+Focus+Quadhits = win). It's not only the stats but how move-sets stack too. For me replaying the game with a new main story and alternate monsters would be ideal.

I tried to make it pretty tough, with lots of variety. Also spent a lot of work tailoring the enemy encounters to be a bit more appropriate than random.

I hope you give it a try and let people know what you think.

I've looked at the sprites using on of those tools. I couldn't make significant changes without also changing animation code :(

I'd love to see enough interest for the modding community to grow.