Sign in to follow this  
Aeana

DQ10 Dialog Monitor

While fiddling around trying to update my old chat monitoring program, I happened across something in memory that lets me easily get the current dialog (i.e. what's printed in the large boxes at the bottom center of the screen) at any given time. As a result, I thought I'd go ahead and slap together an app to expose that to those players here who need help with Japanese and would like to at least be able to analyze the text, such as looking up a particular word or kanji compound or even put it through machine translation if that's your desire.

I've tested it on two of my machines and it works fine and produces correct results, so hopefully it'll work for everyone who's interested. 

I want to make it clear that this program only reads strings from memory, it does not write anything so you're not at any risk of detection or banning if you use this.

Known issues: every once in a while, it will fail to find what's on screen. In this case, just press the reset button and it'll find it after that. Also, when you talk to some NPCs, the regular towns people in particular, it will load all of the lines they'll say before the window closes at once rather than as they're displayed on screen. I might be able to address this, but it'll have to wait.

6qlLLkMl.jpg

Download

dq10dm-v0.1

• Upvote 2

Now I kinda wish I played on a PC. I play the game on my 3DS.

Would there be a way to use the google translation API to have this display the translated text as opposed to the Japanese?

It's possible, but out of the scope of my intent with the program. I know there are a lot of programs out there that monitor clipboard text and translate it like Translation Aggregator and others, which is why I included the automatic copy to clipboard feature.

The link is broken. Does anyone still have this and know if this still works? If it still works I could make use of this.

Aeana appears to have been AWOL since 2017. Anyone know how I can contact her?

14 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

The link is broken. Does anyone still have this and know if this still works? If it still works I could make use of this.

Aeana appears to have been AWOL since 2017. Anyone know how I can contact her? 

Try twitter, https://twitter.com/Aeana

Thanks!