Sign in to follow this  
ignasia

Save the Music or...

...to get disclosure on why the music was changed, assuming SE and Nintendo either can't change it at this point or won't.

This is a campaign by CHOICE.  I'm only contributing to this less so because I want to see the change, and more so because I want to know why the change was made.  I highly suggest reading this post in full before deciding whether to write/email to Nintendo and/or Square-Enix.  Realize that while Nintendo is publishing, all programming work is handled by SE, and thus all programming decisions are made by SE, NOT Nintendo.  So SE is the better party to contact.  This is true for all the Nintendo published Dragon Quest releases, so I see no reason why this relationship would change for this release (plus the translators have easier time working with the original programmers, and that would mean Square-Enix Japan's original DQ7 3DS team).

This campaign letter/email bomb will deal with the lower quality music in the international release of Dragon Quest VII 3DS.  The original Japanese game was released with a fully orchestrated rendition by the Tokyo Metropolitan Orchestra.  The NA/EU release was given a higher quality synthesized version, of the same level of quality in the iOS/Android releases (including the DQ7 iOS/Android release in Japan).  However, this is not a total loss, so I'll cover the positives, negatives, and potential reasons for the switch.

Positives:

1- Full renditions of each track.  According to Erdrick The Hero, the original tracks were cut and looped at early portions within each track, so we never hear the full track.  Dragon Quest VII tracks tend to build up to a crescendo, so the more complex and detailed elements of each track are towards the end, and would thus be cut from the fully Orchestrated, but would be present in all their glory in the Synth.

2- The reduced load on RAM, potentially speeding up any load.  Note the original has virtually no loading issues, so take this positive with a grain of salt.

3- Potentially more room in the cart for things like the Traveler's Tablets (Lithographs in the Japanese version) that were specifically released through certain businesses in Japan, but would potentially not be available for download in NA and EU regions.  Though perhaps they could release it via updates or download packages, or simply connecting to specific wifi networks organized by Nintendo, though it would be MUCH preferable if natively present on the cart.

Negatives:

1- Lower quality music.

2- Synthesized music that sounds like instruments can be a bit jarring mentally when familiar with the real thing.

3- It's a downgrade from the original version released in Japan, in terms of quality of sound.  I mean it REALLY SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL.  Here's a comparison:

Moving Through The Present

Japanese 3DS [Orchestrated]

Japanese iOS/Android [synthesized]

Shadow of Death II
Japanese 3DS [Orchestrated]

NoA NA/EU DQ7 3DS Trailer [synthesized, first track in the trailer]

4- No guarantee they'd use the extra space for the special Traveler's Tablets.

Potential Reasons for the Change:

1- The licensing for the Tokyo Metropolitan Orchestra might be too expensive, or they could not obtain a license in time.

2- The spacing in the original cart was not enough to account for the localization work.  Given both the NA and EU carts would have to be identical, this would be as a result of other languages than English, and that Japanese to English alone nets nearly a 2.3~3 character increase on average in a direct translation, but tack in extra buffering of text in a localization and it could really bloat in size, making a relatively small file relatively large.  Then accounting for localization work in French, and potentially German, maybe even Italian and Spanish.  The only guaranteed alternative is French.

3- Potentially cheaper for SE and Nintendo increasing overall profit, as Koichi Sugiyama wholly owns the synth.

4- Koichi Sugiyama initially argued for the synthetic Midi version in the original 3DS:  http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/06/dragon-quest-vii-producer-pushed-for-the-orchestral-score/

5- Spacing issues on the cart and potential native placing of Traveler's Tablets (Lithographs) that were only available through special business downloads (or trading Lithographs) for a limited time, like McDonalds in Japan, but would not get the same treatment in NA/EU countries.

6- Due to SE handling or likely handling all coding and decisions for actual development of the localization work, and the virtually guaranteed and eventual iOS and Android release, this would make it easier for audiences internationally to become accustomed to the same quality of sound between the 3DS and Mobile versions.

7- Laziness, or not enough time in the process when considering other projects, and it was simply done due to expediency.

8- The length of the tracks was actually an issue with the localization staff or beta testers, or other members higher up in the project.  DQ7 has a fantastic soundtrack, and arguably one of the best and most unique Dragon Quest soundtracks.  Having tracks cut reduces the overall quality of the game, and a VERY solid argument can be made for this.  Having each track available in full is a bonus, and over time the synth version is easy to mistake for the real thing.  Afterall several members of this forum who are upset over this swore the other Mobile releases used full Orchestral renditions of their respective soundtracks, when they instead use the same quality of synth present in the current build of DQ7 3DS for NA/EU, and the released DQ7 Mobile in Japan.

*NOTE* - I realize I repeated myself in the negatives, but I did so to highlight the point.  I should state after much debate internally, I'm actually not bothered by the change, as in knowing the original version cut each track prior to arguably the best parts, I would much prefer full renditions of each track.  So any further participation on my part is for one purpose only:  To find out the reasons why the change was made.

LETTER / EMAIL:

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

The more I think about it, the more I find myself accepting and liking the changes.  Especially knowing quite a number of people bothered by this issue were unable to detect that DQ's 1~6 on iOS and Android all had the same higher grade synth that is present in the version of DQ7 3DS we're getting.  The only reason they're able to distinguish is...well, frankly the 3DS version does use the orchestrated, and it really is arguably Sugiyama's best work.  The complexity, nuance, emotion, and consistency of purpose in DQ7's tracks...it's really amazing work.  The sheer quality of the fully orchestrated, and the number of subtle notes spread here and there, and jumps and pits of sound at different points is so...I wish I studied music theory so I could use the proper words, but I mean there really is a huge difference.  However, not having the full renditions of each track is too tragic a loss the more I think about it.  Plus the synth really does sound nice, especially if I spend more time listening to it, and less time listening to the fully orchestrated one.

I'm going to trust SE on this one, so I will try to work on a letter that expresses this.

Im convinced its due to the five translations (not enough space in the cartridge). They've already showed the logos in those five languages (in 2 Nintendo Directs and on Nintendo's European sites), it would make absolutely no sense to only translate them in English and French at this point. IF they had only shown the english logo i could understand, but not after they've showed 5 different logos (6 if we count the japanese one), each in a different language.

Maybe they could release the orchestrated music as some kind of DLC? 

As much as it pains me to admit it, I believe the game is complete; or at least at a state where something like the music can't be changed.  I believe the soundtrack, for reasons unknown to us, had to be changed and that is that.  What really scares me is I have a feeling DQ8 will be synth as well.  That's a soundtrack that is very near and dear to me and I'd hate to see us miss out on the orchestrated version.  But yes, it's fun to speculate, however, we may never know the real reason for this change.

Oh yeah, my theory:  They plan on a quick mobile turnaround and don't want to take time and money for 2 separate soundtracks for the same game.  In essence, the game can be ported to mobile without mucking with the soundtrack.  I'm assuming the mobile version with have the synth soundtrack, of course. 

Edited by Griever

My guess is it's a rights issue. Sugiyama Kobo seemed to play a big part in the streaming problems with DQ Heroes.

It could very well be a rights issue.  Maybe we'll find out in the coming months.

I just want to find out why, if that's indeed the case.

Even if they can't/won't change it or it's too late for that.

I just want to find out why, if that's indeed the case.

Even if they can't/won't change it or it's too late for that.

That's what I want more than anything: an explanation why it's being changed.

My guess is it's a rights issue.

#slimelivesmatter

• Upvote 3

Does anyone know Square Enix's email? I'm considering emailing Square Enix.

Wedontcare@square-enix.com

I thought as much. Thanks.

I'm not making comparisons until I hear the actual music from the title. I don't get the problem here, really. Granted, I prefer synth music in general. Chiptunes. :)

Ignasia, your link, 

, which is supposed to be the iOS/Android version of mapsong 7, shows the Nintendo announcement.

I'm not making comparisons until I hear the actual music from the title. I don't get the problem here, really. Granted, I prefer synth music in general.

Ditto. Actually not exactly ditto, I prefer mute and TV or radio in the background. So, there's that.

Sadly that's the truth: they don't care.

Perhaps Sugiyama is the problem, or maybe it's all licensing with the Tokyo Metropolitan band. Either way I'm tired of this second rate musical treatment the series gets. We should consider ourselves lucky the PS2 version of Dragon Quest 8 got the symphonic music, as it will likely be the only official western released DQ game to have symphonic music it.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1