YangustheLegendaryBandit

Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

Okay, got a fair amount of progress in tonight.  I helped out Birgitta while avoiding what screwed me over last night, managed to beat the boss of the Eastern Shrine on the first try (but it did cost me my two Nectars), and I’m now at the end of the 1st floor of the Lush Woodlands from Etrian 4. I’ll be curious to see story wise why past areas are mysteriously in the land of Lemuria.

My party is doing alright so far. Hero is the big damage dealer right now, but I imagine once my Nightseeker and Pugilist get further along they’ll dish out good damage as well. Them being classes with larger skill point requirements means they’ll take a bit to get going.

I’ll get a picture of my guild card and QR code up tomorrow in case anyone wants to add my guild.

• Like 1

Here’s my guild card. Behold, the Legaciela guild!

6XcpLFa.jpg

w4h0olL.jpg

I chose the name Legaciela as a play on the word “legacy.” One that works for the legacy of my five protagonists and their accomplishments in the past games and the legacy of the series up to this point since there’s a huge combination of elements. The end bit of the name was just me trying to put some flair on the guild name, like it did with Runestus and Ferolgaun. No idea if they mean anything, just made up something I thought sounded cool!

Anyway, if anyone has trouble scanning the QR code let me know. I’ll try and take a better picture if that’s the case.

• Like 1

Here’s my guild card. Behold, the Legaciela guild!
6XcpLFa.jpg&key=c72debd23411ab4e7e978722b04da57ba5caa5ca597afefd4162cdaf2175ae8c
w4h0olL.jpg&key=5020bf9047b36471bdf6e27213fdbe986064b4a0e94bef36c73f3f32b76529c7
I chose the name Legaciela as a play on the word “legacy.” One that works for the legacy of my five protagonists and their accomplishments in the past games and the legacy of the series up to this point since there’s a huge combination of elements. The end bit of the name was just me trying to put some flair on the guild name, like it did with Runestus and Ferolgaun. No idea if they mean anything, just made up something I thought sounded cool!
Anyway, if anyone has trouble scanning the QR code let me know. I’ll try and take a better picture if that’s the case.
Damn, couldn't get it to work. I've been scanning Yo-Kai QR codes all day, but this... nope. It looks perfectly clear too. I'll try to open on a PC.

24 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Damn, couldn't get it to work. I've been scanning Yo-Kai QR codes all day, but this... nope. It looks perfectly clear too. I'll try to open on a PC.

Damn. I had that problem with Etrian 5 where for whatever reason people couldn’t scan my QR code even though I took a clear picture.

See if the computer helps. If not, I’ll have to save the QR code to my SD card and upload it from there. That’s what I did for Etrian 5 and that seemed to work.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I believe I shall reserve judgement on the Hero as sub-class for now until I know what I'm doing with the 5th member, in terms of filling out rows.  If I decide on a 3rd support class (likely) then Afterimage will work fine.  If i choose a 3rd frontliner, instead, then I will sub the Pugilist as something else. I'll do more homework when I have the game in paw tomorrow.
How's your playthrough going?

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
On 2/4/2019 at 11:23 PM, The Dog of Zahan said:
I believe I shall reserve judgement on the Hero as sub-class for now until I know what I'm doing with the 5th member, in terms of filling out rows.  If I decide on a 3rd support class (likely) then Afterimage will work fine.  If i choose a 3rd frontliner, instead, then I will sub the Pugilist as something else. I'll do more homework when I have the game in paw tomorrow.

How's your playthrough going?

TBH, could be better. Personal issues slowed me down, but I'm still in the fight!  Im averaging Lv 7, and I've got an Imperial and a Pugilist in the front, and a Gunner, Sovereign and Arcanist in back.  The big problem we seem to have is the squishiness of my front line, coupled with little dedicated healing.  My heaviest hitter is also my slowest (the Impy).  This leads to a collapse of at least one frontliner before I can win the fight.  I may have to do more grinding to make the team stand viably on it's merits, it seems.  Also I agree with Yangus: the rancid fluid trap in C2 grid (or is it B2) of the first laby sucks.  As soon as I cleared it I limped back to the start with 2 casualties, IIRC.  I'm on Expert difficulty with this party, BTW. 

My progress is up to the 2nd Laby and the first small maze, but I'm grinding on 2nd laby, B1F, before I take on the real training in the small maze.  My frontliners and my gunner all have at least +3, if not +5 weapons, but I think this team wants to try to prioritize armor for the front, especially the Impy.  Any further advice would be welcome, from you or Yangus, or anyone really. :)

You’re going to need to focus on bindings and status ailments with that team. You don’t have anyone who can take advantage of ailment affected enemies like a Nightseeker or War Magus, so you’ll just have to focus on shut down. Your Pugilist needs to focus on Concussion, Arm Breaker, and Low Blow before anything else. Once they are level 4, Double Punch should be next to increase the odds of a follow up should a bind not land. Perhaps work Adrenaline points in there as well. Pugilists seem to have been hit with overall attack nerfs in this game, and judging by their skills as they level it’s going to be a class that requires a lot of levels and skill points to really get going. I still like the class, but it definitely doesn’t deal the same amount of damage out of the gate like it could in 5. It seems to be a slow burn class, but at least getting Double Punch powered up early on can help.

Sovereign should have Guard and Attack Order to at least 4 for the casting speed increase, especially Guard Order if you have a squishy team. That’s a top priority for any team with no Protector or Hero. And a heavy emphasis on the healing abilities like Monarch March, Royal Veil, and Reinforce is another major factor. Keep Attack Order to at least 3 until your TP gets high enough then use that for healing whenever you necessary. If you found the Miraculous Ring, give that to your Sovereign for the revival skill.

Arcanist, go for Circle Boon for healing and Dismiss Heal, at least a point in the latter. Either use the ailment circles for status effects like Nerve Circle, or the binding circles to support the Pugilist’s efforts. I would say the former is the better option so you can invest in Proficiency or Bracing Walk.

Gunner could help binding legs and arms in place of the Arcanist, or can use Rapid Fire and Splash Shot if you have the Sovereign power them up/want a good back line attacker. Or, focus on Rapid Fire only and use the other points for stuff like Medic Bullet (ALWAYS useful on any Gunner in any Etrian game) and the support skills like Cover Support or Pop Flare. When you get the points, Shell Shock could be nice for certain situations. But likewise, the points could be used for something else.

Imperial...you’re on your own there. I’ve never used the class outside of Whirlwind temporarily joining in EO4, so I don’t know how to build the class. I guess use the Assualt Drive and invest in Heat Shield? I don’t really know without using one properly.

Hopefully that helps @The Dog of Zahan.

12 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You’re going to need to focus on bindings and status ailments with that team. You don’t have anyone who can take advantage of ailment affected enemies like a Nightseeker or War Magus, so you’ll just have to focus on shut down. Your Pugilist needs to focus on Concussion, Arm Breaker, and Low Blow before anything else. Once they are level 4, Double Punch should be next to increase the odds of a follow up should a bind not land. Perhaps work Adrenaline points in there as well. Pugilists seem to have been hit with overall attack nerfs in this game, and judging by their skills as they level it’s going to be a class that requires a lot of levels and skill points to really get going. I still like the class, but it definitely doesn’t deal the same amount of damage out of the gate like it could in 5. It seems to be a slow burn class, but at least getting Double Punch powered up early on can help.

Sovereign should have Guard and Attack Order to at least 4 for the casting speed increase, especially Guard Order if you have a squishy team. That’s a top priority for any team with no Protector or Hero. And a heavy emphasis on the healing abilities like Monarch March, Royal Veil, and Reinforce is another major factor. Keep Attack Order to at least 3 until your TP gets high enough then use that for healing whenever you necessary. If you found the Miraculous Ring, give that to your Sovereign for the revival skill.

Arcanist, go for Circle Boon for healing and Dismiss Heal, at least a point in the latter. Either use the ailment circles for status effects like Nerve Circle, or the binding circles to support the Pugilist’s efforts. I would say the former is the better option so you can invest in Proficiency or Bracing Walk.

Gunner could help binding legs and arms in place of the Arcanist, or can use Rapid Fire and Splash Shot if you have the Sovereign power them up/want a good back line attacker. Or, focus on Rapid Fire only and use the other points for stuff like Medic Bullet (ALWAYS useful on any Gunner in any Etrian game) and the support skills like Cover Support or Pop Flare. When you get the points, Shell Shock could be nice for certain situations. But likewise, the points could be used for something else.

Imperial...you’re on your own there. I’ve never used the class outside of Whirlwind temporarily joining in EO4, so I don’t know how to build the class. I guess use the Assualt Drive and invest in Heat Shield? I don’t really know without using one properly.

Hopefully that helps @The Dog of Zahan.

Thank you very much.  I was hoping to make this a denial team, as you suggest, but I didn't understand fully the downsides of my frontliners.  Guard Order is always my Sovereign's first move these days, and Nerve Circle is my Arcanist's go-to for now.  I like how my Imperial goes last sometimes, as it ensures the Attack Orders go through, but mobs are my biggest problem because I lack fast, efficient damage for now until the Pugilist and Gunner get higher in level.  Medic Bullet is in there at Lv 2 so far.  Arm and Leg Snipe shots are lv 2, Rapid Fire at LV 3.  Pugi has Lv 2 in the binding punches, a point in Double Punch and one in One-Two.  I'll ignore training in One-Two until the binding punches reach lv 4 from now on. 

Impy is my biggest liability, he hits like a truck, but he goes last and gets hammered early.  I'll give him better armor from now on. His Assault Drive, under Ignition, really wailed on the first boss, which was a challenge, but we managed to keep it denied for most of the battle.  My plan was to sub him as Hero later in the game, which worked thematically 'cause A) I left off in EO4 with my main character reclassed as an Impy, and B) I figure nobody simply "starts off a hero"... it's a title applied by others.  it's hurting me game wise, but I will persist.

Have any words on equipment?   I think I should prioritize my Impy's armor until he can stand on his feet, then get him better Drive Blades.  I suppose my gear priorities depend on the party I'm using.  And I will give the Sov my Mracule Ring right now.  thank you for all the help!  I'll be a good boy and keep plugging away.  * wags *  PS, when I get guild card access I'll add my QR here, and add your guild to my game,as well.  Is it the same kind of goodies that were offered in EO5?

If all the passive healing isn’t keeping your Imperial alive, you either need to focus all resources for armor and weapons on him, nearly max out Guard Order so it can do nearly max Def. up without needing to use 13 TP to cast it, or bench the Imperial in favor of something else. Imperials shouldn’t be squishy glass cannon like a Ronin, so it being a liability is either a skill set/armor problem or a team composition problem. If it keeps dying frequently, you’ll need to remove it for something else. Again though, I’ve never used an Imperial and know little of the class, so re-read skill descriptions and see how you can make it work with the rest of the team.

If you’re using Nerve Circle, make that a top priority to max out. If it can interrupt enemy attacks enough times while active, that should at least help.

As for my own progress, I’ve finished the Lush Woodlands and made it to the Primitive Jungle. I like that with the Woodlands they kept the first floor the same as it originally was, but going down to the 2nd floor you begin to see layout differences. The 3rd floor especially was completely different and had smart FOE placement for progress. The Berseker King was a long fight, but beat him on the first try. However...

Spoiler

The surprise boss of Cernunnos coming right the hell out of nowhere nearly got me. Luckily the game does heal you and lets you save, but it was a much harder fight. First attempt I couldn’t keep up with the Rollers he summons, but when I realized my Survivalist could finish off the Rollers in one shot with Fire Shot, I reset and tried again. Beat him on the 2nd attempt, and by the last few turns my party was very low on TP. It was to the point only my Sovereign had any!

Battling the King wasn’t too bad. Blue kept blinding him, J.W. kept his arms bound, and turns where he was free from those The Bard would use Physical Shield to lower damage until it was time to attack.

Now it’s off to the next labyrinth. I like how the game points out all the Etrian explorers (as in those from Etria, though it works as a wink to the long time players who are familiar with EO1/Untold 1) are making sure they have Therica Bs and ailment removing skills before going to the Primitive Jungle. Any Etrian player who’s been around the block knows the 2nd stratum dungeons LOVE to bring on the status ailments. While it’s the 3rd labyrinth of Nexus, the rule still applies since the PJ was a 2nd stratum.

I’m nearing the end of the Primitive Jungle (or at least I think I am). I’ve explored all 3 floors minus a few parts I need to return to and deal with the FOEs to fully map the area. Those damn scorpion FOEs that appear at the last second have made a return, though sadly no elephant FOEs. The elephant monsters have a great design so I’m sad they aren’t in the jungle.

The new floor layouts for the stratum were very good, and with how they are set up it makes a Survivalist a very welcome addition thanks to their safe traversal abilities. Unfortunately, I haven’t invested in those skills, but thanks to my Sovereign’s Monarch March I was able to keep up with any damage from the vine floor tiles.

Story wise, you interact a lot with a Harbinger named Leo. He claims to be from Etria, but that’s confusing. Saying much more would be going into big Etrian 5 spoilers though. Moving away from that, it was nice to see a Shilleka, a returning face from Etrian Odyssey 1. I’m disappointed she lost her trademark accent for the most part in her speech, but it still sneaks in a bit. She’s still as cheerful as ever, so that’s good to see.

Now how you end up meeting her...that was a surprise! This game keeps throwing curve balls for long time players and I love it. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED! The upcoming boss fight for the labyrinth will be a battle for revenge!

Oh, and I’ve reached level 20 so now Incan start using Veteran level skills! That’s a blessing and curse since I don’t have enough skill points to properly invest into anything yet. I’m sure at some point once I have a few more levels I’ll rest everyone and respec my skill points.

• Like 1

I’ve finished the 3rd labyrinth! The boss fight with the Wyvern was kind of tough. I beat it first try, but I ran out of TP for everyone by the end except for Eagle Eye and Forrest. Health wasn’t too big of a problem, but the random hits lightning attack nearly took me out at one point. Having lighting protection at that point would have helped, but the other time it happened he was blinded so I lucked out. By the end of the fight my burst gauges had replenished for a few party members, and fittingly The Bard killed him off with the Hero’s burst attack. The EO1 protagonist going for the kill on an EO1 boss was just right.

One thing: I wish they would have kept the HP and TP Up passive skills from past games as a universal option for everyone. That would helped out with my Nightseeker at least. He’s been my major damage dealer, and thanks to Shadow Bite he can do a good deal of damage provided a status ailment is in play.

I have to say, I’m starting to get really intrigued by Nexus’s story. Princess Persephone, after the mission, reveals some interesting facts about the Lemurian race you’re trying to learn about: apparently a lot of their ancient treasures are pieces of technology and the like seen throughout the series! The airships of the Tharsis region, the means to teleport from place to place (aka the Geomagnetic Poles), a formula for eternal life much like what you learn about in High Lagaard...many notable bits and pieces seen in the other games/from the series.

It seems they are trying to connect all the games together with that and the Lemurians, and I hope more of this information will be revealed as you go. No doubt because I’m just a big fan, but this is REALLY REALLY AWESOME to see happening. Etrian Odyssey may not be the biggest Atlus series, but the development team do a hell of a job making the games investing one way or another.