YangustheLegendaryBandit

Etrian Odyssey Discussion Thread

Since we're getting SOOOOOO MANY COMPLAINTS (but not really) in Platty's PS4 RPG thread, I'll open up a general Etrian Odyssey discussion thread for all things EO.

I'm sure I'll be the majority of posts (but to be fair I haven't discussed EO for months here on the Den until recently) or maybe eal will surprise us all and play an EO game and talk about it. :P

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 1

I'll get the ball rolling by talking about my introduction to the series:

Back when Nintendo Power was still in production (I sure do miss that magazine) a brief article caught my eye when skimming through the magazine before reading. It featured 6 characters of different classes, one being a pirate. I decided to read the article and sure enough it was for Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City, and I believe it was in the May or June issue?

Anyway, I hadn't heard of the series before then, so I have the article a quick read and liked what I saw. The real kicker for me was the Farmer job class, and how compared to the other 5 classes featured it was not only a little kid with a sheep under one arm and a pitchfork in the other, but that you could have a Farmer as a party member in an RPG. I thought that was a great idea even if the class turned out to not be the best, and thought that if I did get this game I would be sure to put a Farmer in my team.

Time went by and thanks to YouTube I found a few trailers for EO3, and I really liked what I saw. This dungeon crawling gameplay seemed like fun as I had never played a dungeon crawler before, and getting to draw your map? Sure, why not!

But what helped seal the deal was the guild trailer, where different guild leaders shared some of their experiences. I know it was all for the sake of promotion, but that seemed really cool to me back then that you could create a story for your characters. Ideas for my guild never crossed my mind till I actually started the game, but the control over their back stories called to me.

I've always been the creative sort when it comes to games; back when I was a kid I was always designing new boards for a Mario Party game, or thinking up worlds for a Banjo-Kazooie game, even creating my own monsters for Dragon Warrior Monsters. Being able to create and use my imagination has, well, always been one of my favorite things in life, so that control over my characters - where they came from, what are there personalities, do they get along, and so on - has been one of my favorite parts of this series.

*crickets chirping*

I think I starting typing all that up as soon as you posted that! XD

• Upvote 1

Been playing the release of the 1st game. Always been enjoyable! Put almost 100 hours each into EO3 and EO4. Wouldn't do that without big love for the series!

• Upvote 1

or maybe eal will surprise us all and play an EO game and talk about it. :P

I tried PQ. Wasn't my cup of tea. I'll just stick to the manga for the plot. I haven't even been able to touch XBCX for about a week and a half, like I'd have time for another several dozen hours long game. Can't even find time to play a David Cage game (this is why I like rythym games). I'm about to totally blow my Friday off to do all my finals in one glorious burst. Then I'm free until Jan. 20th.

Been playing the release of the 1st game. Always been enjoyable! Put almost 100 hours each into EO3 and EO4. Wouldn't do that without big love for the series!

I clocked in at 110 hours to 100% EO4. It's funny how the EO I put aside for over a year became the one that I 100%!

I wonder what the average play time is for all the EO games. Around 60 to 80 hours for the main campaign, give or take?

At least you have the mangas eal. Maybe you should give one of the EO demos a try on the eshop and see how that goes. You won't be out anything if you do. 4 would give you the create a character, but it's obviously your call if you try it out or not.

*walks in*

Aside from some FFXIV related activities like the Christmas event and other such stuff, I plan on starting up EO tonight.

I shall discuss it further in the future.

*walks out*

Nice, I managed to finally get past Fenrir in my Expert Classic Etrian Odyssey Untold file. Fenrir is a difficult first boss in both versions of EO1, as its a race against to take him out before his back up arrives. Luckily after some reconfiguring for my Ronin's skill points, his Flame Garter slash was able to put the king of wolves down before his lackies became a handful.

Now it's off to one of my favorite stratums in the series. Yggdrasil, HOOOOOOOOOOO!

So Troub point set up you used?

Other class suggestions and tips?

And is there a way to reset points or just start a new adventurer and level them?

I just barely started, did the mapping of the starting level, flagged some quests after.

Would play more but running on 2 hours of sleep after Star Wars last night.

Enjoying it more this time, the music is great, battles are fun, mapping is nice.

I'll get back to you on this tomorrow, Tiael. Glad you're second run through has been good thus far though.

Just so I have an idea, what team do you have/are using right now? That'll help me figure out what to tell you.

Protector, Land...thing, Medic, Alchemist, contemplating Troubador or Survivalist for last.

Alright. Well I can tell you that with either a Troub or Surv. you'll have a good balanced team, but I'll go more into detail on builds in the morning.

I will tell you that if you do want to reset your skill points, you'll have to sacrifice 10 levels to do so. This was significantly toned down in all the games that followed, so in EO1 it's crucial to not go crazy throwing your points around.

Since you're still early on so you should be alright if the odd point is here and there, but hold onto any extra points you may earn between this post and my next with building tips.

I like the idea of the Troubadour, but I like the Survivalist skills.

And find the others good, like the Alchemist, Medic, Landsknecht and Protector and will probably always have one of those.

If only I could have 6 people XD

The main way of money making selling items? And questing of course.

Oh and obviously I want to invest a character each x3 1 point into Chop, Mine and Take?

Edited by Tiael

Alright, let's see if ol' Yangus can get these questions answered for ya, guv!

First off, classes:

-Protectors are essential for parties as a lot of monsters hit like trucks, so bringing along one is HIGHLY recommended.  Your goal with a Protector is to get Shields to 10, and maxing out Defender and Smite at 10.  Defender should be the first skill you attempt to max, is the second best defense based skills in the game, and while it can be outright broken when combined with another skill (see Medic for that) your party can survive any battle easily.  But even if you don't combine the two skills, Defender is such a nice ability to have so your party members can survive longer, and is extremely useful for bosses and FOEs as you progress.

Smite is a great way for your P. to deal damage when not needing to defend (such as if you used Defender), and can be a great way to lay some extra offense on the enemy.  Personally this was the next skill I tried to max out after Defender, and it was a fair choice.  Just make sure you put 5 points into TP up so your P. has extra TP cause Smite costs a bit to use.

Lastly, make sure you get Antifire/volt/ice but DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT PUT MORE THAN 5 POINTS INTO EACH Anti- SKILL! At level 5 these skills completely nullify any fire, ice, and volt damage respectively, but due to a bug the skills lose their negating specialty past level 5. If you do invest more than 5 points, you'll go back to taking damage unless you invest the max amount of points into each, but trust me, you're better off saving those 15 points to boost your HP, TP, or DEF.

Landsknechts (or Landy for short) are the warrior of the game, but with two weapon trees it can be hard to decide on which to focus on.  Some recommend one or the other, but what you should try to go for is a steady balance between Swords and Axes.

Axes have single attack skills, and are best for bosses and FOEs.  You can't switch weapons on the fly in battle, so if you know a boss or FOE is coming then have an axe handy. Only put 5 points into Axes and max out Crush.  At 10 points, Crush will become one of the best damage dealing attacks in the game.  Stunner and Silencer would be nice, but you'll want the points for ATK Up instead.

Swords are best for random encounters due to having skills that hit multiple targets. Like Axes, only put 5 points into Swords and max out Allslash and 5 points into Tornado.  Both will be handy for your Landy!.

Other than that, focus on increasing your HP, TP, and ATK when you have maxed Crush and Allslash.

-Medics have two skills you'll want to maximize: Salve (not Salve II) and Immunize.  At max, Salve can restore a large chunk of HP for a reduced cost when compared to a maxed out Salve II, and is recommended over Salve II because of this.  Just don't bother with Salve II, as the points are better spent in TP Up and Revive.

Immunize is THE best defensive skill in the game, and when combined with Defender from the Protector basically makes the party nigh invincible.  Normally Immunize is supposed to defend from elemental skills like fire, but due to a bug the game calculates all physical attack types (Bash, Slash, and Pierce) as elements, so at max Immunize is going to be your trump card.  Combining it with Defender makes you crazy strong in terms of protection, so if you don't want to break the game too badly only use Immunize.

Refresh and Unbind are very useful skills too, so putting a few points into each would be good (5 should be good).

If you want to have some fun with your Medic, you could go the Battle Medic route: Basically max out ATK Up to 10 and then max out Caduceus and watch your Medic go to town. It's most effective on the front lines, but using a Battle Medic can have its risks, especially if you only have one Medic.

Troubadours are the end all support group of the game.  This class, outside of the recommended skills, can be built pretty much however you want them to be.

Maxing out Bravery is the first step.  This song at max can greatly boosts the parties attack power, and is very useful for bosses and FOEs.  I don't remember the exact % for how much it boosts attack, but you will notice the difference.

Maxing out Divinity is next.  It will boost the EXP your party earns over time, so definitely go for this after Bravery.

Other than that, you are free to do with the Troubadour as you will.  If you plan on using a Medic's Immunize and/or the Proc's Defender, don't invest into Shelter (with either present) at all or Ifrit, Ymir, and Taranis (only if you plan to use Immunize).  The points are better spent on songs like Healing and Relaxing, or boosting the Troubadours HP and TP.

Also, Troubadours should stay in the back row.  They can use bows to attack so they are better off in the back because otherwise they can be a wee bit squishy without an HP boost.

-Alchemists are a much better class than some will let you on to believe in the original Etrian Odyssey, namely for their Poison skill and multi target elemental attacks.

Early game focus on getting Toxins to 5 points, then Poison to around 5.  I do need to double check the exact number of points, but when combining Toxins and Poison the Alchemist can do a steady 255 points of damage per turn.

After that, go for Volt Up to level 5 and max out the Thor skill.  This attack is killer when multiple enemies show up, and you should only invest into one of the multi target elemental skills (the others being Inferno and Cocytus respectively). Fire Up and Ice Up are good to invest in (only to level 5) and invest in Flame and Freeze.  You will have to insert 3 points to Fire and Ice each, but the single target strength of Flame and Freeze are very good. If you start investing into Flame or Freeze, keep investing till it is maxed out at 10, then go to the other.  Or alternate between the two, possibly to level 5 then focusing points elsewhere like in TP Up.

TP Up is a must have for your Alchemist, so max that out alongside Thor (alternating would be a good idea).

Alchemists are the one class I suggest you Rest (but not until much later in the game, say 4th Stratum) so you can invest their Poison/Toxins points back into the elemental attacks I mentioned above.  Poison can be useful through the whole game though, but if you would rather have the points in elements mid to late game then Rest them up.  This choice is a personal call though, and if you feel like Poison is doing the job than stick with it.

-Survivalists are best used as supportive attackers thanks to their skills of lowering enemy accuracy or preventing themselves from being hit.

Apollon and Multihit are the two attack skills you'll want.  At max, Apollon is pretty devastating to the enemy, and while you wait for the attack to take affect your Survivalist can use Mutlihit to fill the void.  Multihit is best at 5 or max, so if you want the max potential of Multihit then, well, max it out, but if you'd rather use the other 5 points to support skills then go that route.

1st Turn should be another priority.  This helpful skill allows the Surv. to make another party member act first that same turn, so combining it with a Troub's Bravery, Proc's Defender, or Medic's Immunize will see to your party having a defensive or offensive battle at the start of battle/turn.

From there you are free to do with a Surv. as you wish, but like other classes it's always a good idea to invest in HP and TP Up. Likewise, you could invest in the support skills like Trickery and Quicken, but if you do either stop at 5 points or max them out.

-Dark Hunters are your binding/ailment attacks depending on the weapon.

DH with Whips should max out Gag, Shackles, and Cuffs, or alternatively you can invest 5 points into each and stop there. Binds are very useful in many situations, and like other skills you should either stop at 5 or opt to max them out at 10.  If you do go with a DH and use these skills, then Ecstasy is a good investment, for with each bind dealt to the enemy your damage with Ecstasy will increase.

Alternatively, you can max out the skill Viper for whips, which not only attacks but has the chance to poison as well.

With Swords, you'll have access to Hypnos, Nerve, Mirage, Drain, and Petrify. All of these skills inflict status ailments (save Drain), and will make a DH an ailment attacker if 5 points are put into each.

Investing into Swords is good for the Bait skill. Basically this skill allows the DH to set a trap and if an ally is struck with a physical attack who is in the same row as the DH, the DH will counterattack. It's best to have the DH in the middle of the front row if you do want to use Bait (meaning you will want 3 allies in the front row, DH being the center) to use Bait to it's fullest potential.

It is your call on whether to use Swords or Whips though, but with the DH, unlike the Landy, you should really only focus on one weapon tree. Having 2 DH (one for Whips and one for Swords) is a good idea if you really want to use both sets.

-There are two other classes you unlock as you progress through the game; I will only tell you about them if you don't mind being spoiled.

Next up, your money making question:

Selling goods is the best way to make money, and the alternative to grinding enemies to earn drops is to instead form a collecting party out of 5 Survivalists. Survivalists are the only class that have access to Chop, Take, and Mine, so save 5 slots in your Guild for these Survivalists.

Using BF1's Chop point, here's the plan of attack for this collecting party:

(Prior to starting, be sure to have the shortcut open to the Chop point near the stairs leading to Etria. If you need help finding the shortcut, go to GameFAQs and look for the map of BF1)

1) Have all 5 Survivalists put their starting 3 skill points into Chop.

2) Enter the labyrinth and go to the Chop point.

3) Once you can no longer Chop, return to town and sell what you collected.

4) Sleep in the Inn until the next morning. It should only cost you 5 en at level 1.

5) ALWAYS SAVE!

6) Repeat until satisfied.

You can always level up the Survivalists party in the 1st Stratum to gain some extra points for collecting purposes, but that should be their main focus. Battles should be avoided and Warp Wires should be on stand by if things get to hairy for them to handle.  If they all die in battle, you will be set back to your last save, so step 5 is very important if you don't want to lose all that cash.

Start with 5 points in Chop, then 5 in Take, then 5 in Mine. You'll have to be more careful when your gathering party goes too far from the stairs or from Geomagnetic Poles (you'll see what this is in the 2nd Stratum), so always keep Warp Wires handy once you are done collecting from a point.

Thanks for the info.

You bet. Hope the class info will help you decide on a final party.

And like I said, if you want to know about the other 2 classes I will share info on them if you don't mind being spoiled.

Looks line I need F and B Guard above 3 for Defender, leave them at 4?

Edited by Tiael

I left them at 3 and never had any problems.

You could always go back and bump them to 5 for the extra defense boost after maxing Defender, but stop at 5 (if you do want to boost them) so you can use skill points elsewhere like Smite or HP Up.

Edit: if you have them at 4 go ahead and bump them to 5 after maxing Defender. The bump to 5 will increase the defensive %.

Still can't decide between Troub and Surv.

Oh and invest some into Scavenge?

Can't say I blame you.

Personally I'd go with the Troub for the party wide buffs and flexibility.

I can't speak for Survs myself since I haven't used a Surv in any of my parties (this is excluding the Surv you're forced to use in Untold 2's story mode as that's not by choice) but I have seen some good stuff with them. Apollon and 1st Turn makes the EO1 Surv a worthy ally.

I guess you have to decide if you want some extra offense and target based support with the Survivalist, or if you'd rather have a dedicated buff/support character who can attack and heal when needed.

Maybe you should take the alternate route and use a Dark Hunter instead?

Whoops, didn't see you asked about Scavenge.

Either have your Alchemist or Medic focus on this skill. I prefer having Medics with the skill as they aren't as offensive based as Alchemists. For point amount, probably 5 is the safest bet, but alternate your point distribution between it and any other skills and you should be fine.

Well this is interesting. Apparently someone is data mining Etrian Odyssey IV for information on formulas and the like. Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997793-etrian-odyssey-iv-legends-of-the-titan/72786125

While I should be playing Chrono Cross, Legend of Legacy, or Yo-Kai Watch, I felt the urge for some dungeon crawling yesterday since I didn't have to go in to work. Rather than continue in my Classic Expert Untold file, I opted to go to EO4 and finally start over. A few months back I tried starting 4 again but didn't care for my party set up, but since I was still fairly early in the game I chose to start fresh and use a story idea I've been kicking around for a while now.

So far this playthrough has been much more fun, and it's finally giving me the chance to use the other classes I never used in my first run of 4, namely the Landy and the Dancer. Down the road I'll switch out some of my other party members for the 3 (or at least 2) of the unlockable classes, but we'll get there when we get there.

I'm disappointed in you so easily tossing Legend of Legacy aside. 😜