Faust

Movie thread

I see these posters and all I can think is that there's some poor lost soul who is generally trying to make this movie as cool as he can, he just has no idea how to accomplish it.

Last Sunday I saw the Spider-Mens. It did two things I never thought were possible.

First? Finally, something good from Miles Morales! If you've read any of my comic comments, Ultimate Spider-Man was one of my favorite books. It's not that I disliked Miles, but he never learned the lesson Peter did. With great power comes great responsibility is what makes Peter Parker Spider-Man. Miles was well liked. He never struggled at school or at home. His mom died early on, but they gave her back after Secret Wars. I stuck with that book for years hoping it would go someplace and it never did. His look was also too tall, too handsome, too, well, boring. The movie Miles is shorter, has rounder features, shaggier hair, and looks his age. I love it. Now he's relatable and not a Gary Stu.

(Side note: I never read Miles after Secret Wars, but I did read Spider-Men II and thought that was a satisfying enough end to my time with Miles.)

Two hours fixed those two years Bendis made me waste! At the beginning I thought they were going to do the same thing, but while Miles was well liked in his neighborhood, he wasn't well liked at school. Such a simple contrast worked so well! It's a way better origin. Uncle Ben's line is in the movie, but I think it should've been stressed at the end. It's my favorite Spider-Man movie. Not only is it a great movie, it's a joy to look at. Every frame has a personal touch. The designs are great. The character models are really outstanding. Most 3D animated movies don't take advantage of actually being animated in a 3D space. This does and then some! The 2012 TMNT series modeled a few blocks of NYC, but was mostly used as a set to move around. In this movie, especially some of the action scenes, the characters go in and around city blocks and objects so fluently. The artists on this movie really put all they had into making it beautiful and unique. It deserves to be enjoyed and studied.

Second? Holy crap. Post Malone made a good song! That smelly, barely literate, drugged addled goblin actually produced something of value. Who knew!

Edited by Dwaine

I saw Spider-Verse finally. The stars aligned and after half a month I was able to make plans with some people to see it. Nothing I can really add to the discourse aside from saying 

Spoiler

for whatever reason I really loved Olivia Octavius. Something about her design, voice, and attitude worked as a nice combination, and I was surprised by the reveal somehow despite spoiling myself on the whole plot, even reading who was in the movie it didn’t click in my head when I was actually watching it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaybirdC said:

So, in a stunning display of originality, Pokemon appears to be remaking the Mewtwo Strikes Back movie.

That could be great. A remake in honor of its anniversary with updated animation.

28 minutes ago, eal said:

That could be great. A remake in honor of its anniversary with updated animation.

Could be, but given Pokemon movies have a tendency to be less than good (that franchise reboot didn't come out of nowhere) and this is a remake in a new medium, it will probably turn out like the live action Disney remakes. So I'm not getting my hopes up.

29 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

Could be, but given Pokemon movies have a tendency to be less than good (that franchise reboot didn't come out of nowhere) and this is a remake in a new medium, it will probably turn out like the live action Disney remakes. So I'm not getting my hopes up.

Are you talking about a whole anime reboot or the movie reboot? Either way, the movies are just sort of there. They haven’t been major events for awhile, at least in the US. The anime series has been dead to me since they changed the voice cast so it’s hard for me to really care.

4 hours ago, eal said:

Are you talking about a whole anime reboot or the movie reboot? Either way, the movies are just sort of there. They haven’t been major events for awhile, at least in the US. The anime series has been dead to me since they changed the voice cast so it’s hard for me to really care.

The movie reboot; I follow the movies mostly because we did when I was little, and I intend to see the 2018 one, not because I have high expectations of the plot, but because the animation looks great.

16 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

The movie reboot; I follow the movies mostly because we did when I was little, and I intend to see the 2018 one, not because I have high expectations of the plot, but because the animation looks great.

That’s usually why you’d go to see most any anime spin-off movies. They’re rarely acknowledged as canon, and the writing is just as susceptible as an filler arc to being bad. However, you get to see high quality animation you can’t possibly expect from a weekly TV show and they’re made to feel like big deal events in the movie itself so things are always more bombastic.

I think the last one I ever saw was the Darkrai one. It was at least better than the Manaphy one... I genuinely think movies 3 and 5 are actually good movies though.

42 minutes ago, eal said:

That’s usually why you’d go to see most any anime spin-off movies. They’re rarely acknowledged as canon, and the writing is just as susceptible as an filler arc to being bad. However, you get to see high quality animation you can’t possibly expect from a weekly TV show and they’re made to feel like big deal events in the movie itself so things are always more bombastic.

I think the last one I ever saw was the Darkrai one. It was at least better than the Manaphy one... I genuinely think movies 3 and 5 are actually good movies though.

I remember seeing Pokémon Entei movie in theaters. Had to drag my parents to that one, but I remember it was pretty good. Charizard showing up to help out and the creepy Unown come to mind.

The Mewtwo one was one I had on tape. Mostly what I remember from it is the PokePark mini episode thing and the 10 minute short they included explaining the origin of Mewtwo. That was really cool, and I still remember it pretty vividly.

As for the Mewtwo movie itself....yeah, I’m not gonna lie, parts of the movie creeped me out. The clone Pokémon and how the emerge/crawl out from their creation tubes especially.

26 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The Mewtwo one was one I had on tape. Mostly what I remember from it is the PokePark mini episode thing and the 10 minute short they included explaining the origin of Mewtwo. That was really cool, and I still remember it pretty vividly.

As for the Mewtwo movie itself....yeah, I’m not gonna lie, parts of the movie creeped me out. The clone Pokémon and how the emerge/crawl out from their creation tubes especially.

I actually met Veronica Taylor (OG Ash) at a convention and had her sign my original Mewtwo Strikes Back VHS tape.

I just re-watched Star Wars A New Hope. Wow, I haven't seen that in 20ish years. So many little issues with that. My wife and I chuckled more than once.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I just re-watched Star Wars A New Hope. Wow, I haven't seen that in 20ish years. So many little issues with that. My wife and I chuckled more than once.

I’m glad others find that movie funny in places. Sorry, but while I like Star Wars....boy, A New Hope just has some weird #$*! in it. Did you notice how some characters (especially Leia) has a British accent but then loses it?

Then you have the light saber “fight,” between Obi Wan and Darthy Boy. The prequel trilogy may be pretty meh, but all three of those movies have much better fight scenes. At least Emprie Strikes Back had the much better fight between Luke and Vader.

12 minutes ago, eal said:

I actually met Veronica Taylor (OG Ash) at a convention and had her sign my original Mewtwo Strikes Back VHS tape.

That’s pretty cool. She and the guy who voiced Brock/James from the early seasons were some of my favorite voice actors as a kid.

And Dan Green. Dan Green is another favorite since I watched YuGiOh a lot as a young’un.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2

That’s pretty cool. She and the guy who voiced Brock/James from the early seasons were some of my favorite voice actors as a kid.
And Dan Green. Dan Green is another favorite since I watched YuGiOh a lot as a young’un.
Watching the series in chronological order is pretty...dissappointing when it comes to the fight between Obi Wan and Vader. There's all that buildup in Episode 3 between Anakin and Obi Wan only for it fizzle out in that cheap low budget fight in Episode 4.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Watching the series in chronological order is pretty...dissappointing when it comes to the fight between Obi Wan and Vader. There's all that buildup in Episode 3 between Anakin and Obi Wan only for it fizzle out in that cheap low budget fight in Episode 4.

Been introducing my kids to the series the past month. Completely chronological order. Even had Solo (which was damn good) in order. Dude nailed being Harrison Ford.

39 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
42 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Been introducing my kids to the series the past month. Completely chronological order. Even had Solo (which was damn good) in order. Dude nailed being Harrison Ford.

The Prequel Trilogy is the weirdest thing because it gets a ton of crap for being boring, and it actually is as an adult, so lots of adults probably think kids found it boring too. And maybe it was, I can’t speak for everyone, but when I was a kid, I thought those movies were awesome. I totally bought into Episode I. I remember having a coloring book when my parents were shopping around for houses. I had tons of Star Wars LEGOs from the prequels. We all got our faces painted like Darth Maul at fairs and stuff.

I think kids might not understand the broad strokes like trade disputes and all that political stuff, but I think kids loved those movies, I saw them all like a dozen times, even though my parents were probably cringing at the same time (I specifically remember my dad making fun of the bad dialogue in Episode III during that “it’s only because I’m so in love with you” scene with Anakin and Padme).

The Prequel Trilogy is the weirdest thing because it gets a ton of crap for being boring, and it actually is as an adult, so lots of adults probably think kids found it boring too. And maybe it was, I can’t speak for everyone, but when I was a kid, I thought those movies were awesome. I totally bought into Episode I. I remember having a coloring book when my parents were shopping around for houses. I had tons of Star Wars LEGOs from the prequels. We all got our faces painted like Darth Maul at fairs and stuff.
I think kids might not understand the broad strokes like trade disputes and all that political stuff, but I think kids loved those movies, I saw them all like a dozen times, even though my parents were probably cringing at the same time (I specifically remember my dad making fun of the bad dialogue in Episode III during that “it’s only because I’m so in love with you” scene with Anakin and Padme).
They have a lot of problems not the least of which is Hayden Christiansen.

But I actually love in depth political stories. And even though the Prequels aren't SUPER deep in their political lore, its about the most detailed you ever see in a mainstream film. This is why Episodes II and III are actually quite enjoyable to me, especially Episode III. While I recognize that they are "bad" films and the originalntrilogy are actually really "good" films, I sort of enjoy the second two Prequel films more than the originals.

It's not Dune by any means, but I enjoy them cor what they are.

4 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

They have a lot of problems not the least of which is Hayden Christiansen.

But I actually love in depth political stories. And even though the Prequels aren't SUPER deep in their political lore, its about the most detailed you ever see in a mainstream film. This is why Episodes II and III are actually quite enjoyable to me, especially Episode III. While I recognize that they are "bad" films and the originalntrilogy are actually really "good" films, I sort of enjoy the second two Prequel films more than the originals.

It's not Dune by any means, but I enjoy them cor what they are.

I have the opposite opinions. A lot of the prequels are built on silly plot contrivances (why can’t Jedi love? Why do they have to be sexless monks with no interests or personal motivations?)

I think Hayden Christianson is a fine enough actor, he just got shafted with bad dialogue. I actually like his character a bit more knowing about that theory that Anakin has BPD.

52 minutes ago, eal said:

I have the opposite opinions. A lot of the prequels are built on silly plot contrivances (why can’t Jedi love? Why do they have to be sexless monks with no interests or personal motivations?)

I think Hayden Christianson is a fine enough actor, he just got shafted with bad dialogue. I actually like his character a bit more knowing about that theory that Anakin has BPD.

As I recall there exists behind-the-scenes footage of him acting his part well, but it's when he tries to act to Lucas' specifications that his performance suffers.

Hayden Christianson is a good actor; that I will agree on with eal. While his dialogue is....dialogue in the prequel movies, there are times where his body language and facial expressions as the prequel trilogy goes on really show how Anakin is turning to the dark side. He can physically act/express the changes quite well IMO, especially when he downs the hood on his robe in the 3rd movie (if I remember right) and you see that vile expression on his face. He nails the descent of Anakin in that regard.

And while his dialogue is....well, dialogue, we do get funny gems like this from it.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m glad others find that movie funny in places. Sorry, but while I like Star Wars....boy, A New Hope just has some weird #$*! in it. Did you notice how some characters (especially Leia) has a British accent but then loses it?

Then you have the light saber “fight,” between Obi Wan and Darthy Boy. The prequel trilogy may be pretty meh, but all three of those movies have much better fight scenes. At least Emprie Strikes Back had the much better fight between Luke and Vader.

About Star Wars... It's true; it's hard to reconcile the fact that the "later" earlier episode 4 had weaker lightsaber fighting than the rest of the series.  Externally the adult audience knows it's because better tech for lightsaber effects made more dramatic fights possible in the following movies than could be done with the first film in 1977.   Darth Vader was shown in top form, despite his extensive surgeries, in Rogue One, and Yoda was 870- 880-ish in Ep3, so the idea that Obi and Vader are aging and no longer in top fighting condition in Ep4 doesn't exactly hold much water.  Just an irreconcilable continuity flaw in my opinion.  Nobody would want a shot-for-shot remake of Ep4, 5, and/or 6, to update the SFX and fix continuities.  These films have been diddled around with enough already since 1997.

On the subject of Leia's accent, I did indeed notice that she put on the accent when speaking with Grand Moff Tarkin and Vader in the first half of the movie, then loses her accent as soon as Luke and Han enter the scenes with her.  I don't understand why, in or out of universe, but I've come to roll with it, like everything else.  I try my best to enjoy the ride.

As a rider to my Star Wars commentary, who here has seen Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, or the new Netflix iteration of Watership Down?

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

Finally watched Pokemon's The Power of Us movie and I was pleasantly surprised! It was immensely sappy -- the kind of sappiness that cannot be merely described but must be experienced firsthand (I didn't cry, but I may have sniffed) -- and I won't be submitting it to any masterpiece list, but it displayed an interest in character arcs that I haven't seen in the franchise in a good while. I'd recommend it to y'all for at least one watch.

4 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

Finally watched Pokemon's The Power of Us movie and I was pleasantly surprised! It was immensely sappy -- the kind of sappiness that cannot be merely described but must be experienced firsthand (I didn't cry, but I may have sniffed) -- and I won't be submitting it to any masterpiece list, but it displayed an interest in character arcs that I haven't seen in the franchise in a good while. I'd recommend it to y'all for at least one watch.

Here’s an item of interest! The voice of Pikachu is the voice of Morgana in Japanese in P5.

11 minutes ago, eal said:

Here’s an item of interest! The voice of Pikachu is the voice of Morgana in Japanese in P5.

Good to know Miss Ōtani has voice work of more than three syllables.

Me and a work buddy were talking about Tropic Thunder at work today. Good thing very few people were around when we talked about it! We had some good laughs remembering our favorite parts of the movie, and we both agreed the opening “commercials and movie trailers,” were a funny way to start the film.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit