Faust

Movie thread

I haven't seen a thread about movies in general during the last couple of pages, so why not.  Discuss any kinds of movies here, such as upcoming ones, classics, and so on.

I just got back from watching Paul Blart 2 a while ago.  Just found out there was a sequel about a week ago when I drove by the movie theater.  It's like Die Hard, but a comedy, with no killing...or...in other words, not like Die Hard at all.

The audience took a while to get used to that kind of humour.  At the beginning of the movie, not a lot of people laughed or even chuckled, but by the end we all seemed to get the flow of the movie more and laughed a lot.

I'm such a huge sucker for modern stupid comedies like Paul Blart, Harold & Kumar, Hot Tub Time Machine, etc..  It's a guilty pleasure kind of thing.

What movie are you watching, want to see, is your favourite, and whatever?

Today I saw the movie, "Get Hard" with a friend. It was funny, but... What's with all the d**k scenes in comedies these days? I guess I should've expected it from a movie called "Get Hard", but this is not the first movie I've seen recently that took the d**k jokes too far. I don't remember the name of the other one, but that movie where Vince Vahn starts his own business did it too.

I also realized Get Hard is a lot like Elf. They're both about Will Farrell being disconnected from reality because they grew up in a situation unlike the average person's, he's got a businessman father who never spent time with him in his childhood, and he eats like a pig in front of people he just met.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

One day ten years ago I watched a movie called Jarhead. It was the worst movie I've ever seen. Never watch it. Ever.

Jacob's Ladder is a huge disappointment.

There haven't been many recent releases that have piqued my interest. Some of my favorites:

• Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) - three mixed-race Aboriginal girls are taken by the government from their homes and embark on a 1500 mile journey back home...on foot.
  • The Straight Story (1999) - when one hears of the other's declining health, a man embarks on a multi-state journey on a lawnmower, to see his estranged brother. 
  • Cry, The Beloved Country (1995) - the story of how two very different families, joined by tragedy, come to find that they are not so different after all.

Though in terms of recent cinema, I hope that Jurassic World ends up being a good film. With what's been released so far, it doesn't look as if it'll disappoint:

One day ten years ago I watched a movie called Jarhead. It was the worst movie I've ever seen. Never watch it. Ever.

Now I gotta watch it.  I seem to be drawn to horrible movies like the way the Angry Video Game Nerd is drawn to horrible video games.

I saw Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween back in 2007.  He managed to take a classic horror flick and turn it into a tasteless trailer trash blood bath.

There was a renaissance of bad horror remakes of classic films in the 2007-2009 where EVERY major horro film had a bad remake. Texas Chainsaw, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, and Friday the 13th.

I've been watching Marvel's Phase 2 movies to prepare for Age of Ultron.

Now I gotta watch it.  I seem to be drawn to horrible movies like the way the Angry Video Game Nerd is drawn to horrible video games.

I saw Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween back in 2007.  He managed to take a classic horror flick and turn it into a tasteless trailer trash blood bath.

Don't! I'm not kidding. Everyone in it is horrible and the story is nonexistent. It's based on a book where a guy tries to blame the military for being a shitty person, but he doesn't realize he was kinda already a shitty person to begin with. The 'Murica! crowd doesn't even seem to like it.

Rob Zombie's Halloween has some good qualities to it. The chase at the end is good and it's nice how Michael is a serious threatening figure.

I haven't watched a lot of movies since the 90's.

I usually watch action movies. One of the best I've ever seen was Heat with Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro both in it.

One of the worst I've seen was Striking Distance. I like Bruce Willis movies. That one sucked. Not even Tom Sizemore could save it.

I like Bruce Willis movies. 

Should check out Red , great action / comedy film. Definitely a must see.

Now I gotta watch it. I seem to be drawn to horrible movies like the way the Angry Video Game Nerd is drawn to horrible video games.

I saw Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween back in 2007. He managed to take a classic horror flick and turn it into a tasteless trailer trash blood bath.

Don't! I'm not kidding. Everyone in it is horrible and the story is nonexistent. It's based on a book where a guy tries to blame the military for being a shitty person, but he doesn't realize he was kinda already a shitty person to begin with. The 'Murica! crowd doesn't even seem to like it.

Rob Zombie's Halloween has some good qualities to it. The chase at the end is good and it's nice how Michael is a serious threatening figure.

The 'Murica crowd doesn't like it because it blames the military for something.

And I'll give Rob Zombie one thing about his Halloween: I liked the added background info on Michael's past, including the bits about his mother. Even if he cast his wife in the role... I Don't like how far the sequel deviates.

Uh, my ex wife thought that'd be fun to watch with her dad. None of us liked it.

Last movie I think I watched was The Princess Bride when it was TV a few weeks ago. Inconceivable!

Uh, my ex wife thought that'd be fun to watch with her dad. None of us liked it.

My history with that movie was that Netflix recommended it to me after I watched Brothers.

One movie that I watched that I thought was really bad was called The Descent.  These hiker girls find a cave and explore it, and there are humanoid creatures inside that come after them.  They fight a lot with each other, too.  Just imagine tagging along for a night out with a bunch of girls, then later they start fighting and crying with each other...the movie is kind of like that.  Then the movie closes with a mash up of two of the most unoriginal endings ever: 

-Monster in the back seat of the escaping vehicle
-"It was alllll a dream!"

So anyway, it's movie night, now I'm deciding on what to watch.  I'm leaning towards Phantom of the Paradise...or perhaps one of the films from the Cornetto Trilogy, either Shaun of the Dead (parody of zombie movies), Hot Fuzz (parody of buddy cop movies), or The World's End (parody of sci-fi invader movies).

Edited by T-Knightley

The worst scene in that movie was the sex tape. It was cruelty for cruelty's sake and everyone howling like apes over it made it even worse. It's funny, I was talking to one of my friends a little while back. She can't watch The Walking Dead because of the gore, but she's a big Game of Thrones fan. I'm the opposite, though for cruelty instead of gore. That's probably why I don't like mafia movies or stuff like Mad Men. Never saw what was so fun and glamorous about greasy pricks.

The worst scene in that movie was the sex tape. It was cruelty for cruelty's sake and everyone howling like apes over it made it even worse. It's funny, I was talking to one of my friends a little while back. She can't watch The Walking Dead because of the gore, but she's a big Game of Thrones fan. I'm the opposite, though for cruelty instead of gore. That's probably why I don't like mafia movies or stuff like Mad Men. Never saw what was so fun and glamorous about greasy pricks.

I'm with you on pretty much all of that. Love the Game of Thrones books, but after the first season, I haven't watched it. Meh. And no greasy guys with those accents either. Meh x 2.

Big Trouble in Little China is the best movie ever

I'm watching the Angry Video Game Nerd movie on blu-ray.  It's really cool that they included an audience reaction feature, I never seen a movie do that before.

Watched Shrek the 3rd recently. It's much funnier now that I'm older. The Ugly Step Sister is freaking hilarious.

Watched a butt load of movies this weekend. I love independent romantic comedies, so watched a few of those.

Some awesome comedies in thought. Had a lot of the same cast in them despite being made like 14 years apart:

Wet Hot American Summer - parody of 80s summer camp movies

They Came Together - parody of romantic comedies

I had the urge to watch the film adaptation of "James and the Giant Peach" recently.  I needed a break from homework, so I figured I'd watch it.  It's a good adaptation of the original book.

I had the urge to watch the film adaptation of "James and the Giant Peach" recently.  I needed a break from homework, so I figured I'd watch it.  It's a good adaptation of the original book.

Yeah, that's a great movie. I have some fond childhood memories of that film. I didn't know it was produced by Tim Burton until just recently.

I'm so glad my local Walmart restocked the modern day classic Christian Mingle. Yes, they made it a movie. It sits proudly next to all the other straight-to-DVD religious movies not based on Bible stories.