Liamland

Liamland's DQIX Mail and Tag Service

Greetings, Questers, Gamers and Completionists!

Sadly, today on May 20th, Nintendo discontinued its Wifi Connection service, rendering DLC for many games, including Dragon Quest IX, inaccessible.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/en/games-wifi.jsp

But there are still tools for Dragon Quest IX to allow you access to these now-cut-off elements within the game.  I've written up a plan for a Mail-and-Tag service (mail me your cart, I will add special maps, upgrade your inn, or make any other agreed-upon adjustments, and then mail it back to you). There will be a cost involved, based on the amount labor. I've tried to spell out the project in the below write-up. It sounds a little legal-jargony, but I wanted to make sure all of the details were completely spelled out and that any best-and-worst case scenarios were covered:

Please read through the following to fully understand the Plan, Cost, and all aspects of this project. Please do not use this service unless you absolutely feel you must complete everything the game has to offer. This may be expensive for the casual gamer, and ultimately not worth it unless you are a completionist. This service is for people who do not have access to the tools to do this themselves.

The Plan:
The idea is to create a mail-and-tag service, with a low cost, for the labor involved--to justify the time-spent.  The turn-around shouldn't be more than 2 weeks at the latest from the time I receive the game, with some fluctuations, depending on the amount of orders I receive at one time.  I will also need to factor in the cost for shipping the game back to you.

1) Cost: For this service, I will be charging about $20 per cart (if I receive multiple carts, on which to work, I will need to charge separate for what you want done to each.) It costs about $7 (on average) to ship it back to you in the US, so you will need to factor that into the price. International return shipping is expensive so I highly recommend you find another means 

Standard Package: $20 + $7 shipping, total: Include a check for $27.
Includes the following tagged or added to your cart: special maps, DQVC exclusive shareable items, a specific DQVC shop download of your choice, all of the legacy guests, access to all DLC Quests, any additional weapon or item, as specified by you (this package does not include 30 unique inn-tags.)

What's Negotiable:
Some of the labor is negotiable. If you have two carts, and you want me to add maps to one, but to the second copy, you only want a DQVC shop download (with no maps, or anything else) I'll just charge $20 for the separate changes to both.  (That way you have an extra copy of the game with a shop you can raid, continuously.)  However, if you want maps and items added to both it would be $40 for the labor, or $47 for two Standard combos, with shipping included.

2) Time estimate: Depending on the amount of projects I receive, simultaneously I estimate that 2 weeks from the time I receive it, you will have the game(s) back to you. I may have to extend the time, if I receive a large amount of orders at once, but I would keep everyone posted on the ETA if that is the case.

3) Special maps: I have a list of special maps that I can make available, if you want to pick specific ones. Otherwise, I have a standard group of them that I typically tag to games, including access to all legacy bosses at decent-to-great locations, and a handful of the famous grottos: masayuki and hatuko's MKS maps, sawapi's Kawasaki Locker map, a gem slime map, Millionaire map, and a group of high level maps for better blue chest drops and more rare, quest-related monsters, such as Bling Badgers, Blight Knights, and Drakulords.

Please make sure there is available map space for me to tag over what you want. Otherwise there will be a delay, with back-and-forth, for me to find out what maps you would like me to delete to make space. Without you having visibility into what's on your cart, in my possession, that process can get complicated.

4) DQVC Exclusive Items:
Shareable items include: 2x each of Choice chocolate, Block o choc, Basic biscuits, Posh biscuits, Christmas cake, and Festive feast. I will typically also throw in Birthday Cake and Party Popper.

Non-Shareable Items, Weapons and Armor: For this, I typically just add them to your game, at no in-game cost.  There are too many shop exclusive items to add to one shop download.  Instead, I typically add a shop download with Agate of Evolution ingredients from the New Years Sale.

Here is a list of the non-shareable weapons and armor, starting with "Weapon:"
http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/dqvc_exclusive.php

5) "Can you add everything I would need for 100% completion?"

I'm not sure what an individual defines as 100%, but when it comes to DQVC Exclusives you would be covered.  You would also have access to the DLC quests and the special guests, with a fully upgraded inn. Between all that and the maps, you should be covered for anything outstanding.

6) This is a service, not a business:

I hope to offer this for a few years while people still need it. While I'm not trying to profit, I need to justify the time spent for a specialized service. This is a service for DQ fans, by a DQ fan. If anyone who has the same or similar tools wants to take up this service as well (even feel free to under-cut me in price) go for it. It's about someone or a group of people providing this service, and not about competition.

It is perfectly in your right to find fault, or get annoyed that I would charge for such a service, but I invite you to take up these projects, yourself, and help me to provide to DQ fans (albeit in a more manual sort of way) what is no longer being supported by Nintendo.

7) Tools used:
Any modifications to your cart will be done using an NDS Adaptor Plus and the DQ save editor. I will not be using AR, so there is no risk of bad codes, corrupted save files or problems that adversely affect gameplay.

I am in the process of creating a guide for how to do what I am doing, however, it is still dependent upon you having the right hardware specs, purchasing a device, and getting it to work.

😎 Steps:
a. Contact me via PM, and please let me know the details of what you are looking for.

b. I will send you my mailing address. Please do not post my address anywhere in online forums or on publically viewed websites. I will be giving it to you directly. If you would like to promote this service to a friend, please include the URL to this post, but do not send out my mailing address to others.

c. I will not accept games sent to me before corresponding to go over the details.

d. Please remember to include a check and not cash. I will give you the full details of who to make the check out to in our correspondence.

9) Added Value:
In addition to the changes to your cart, you will also receive a before-and-after digital copy of your save file. This is so that just-in-case anything happens to your game in the future (damaged cart, corrupted save file, etc.) both you and I will have a data back up, and you won't have to start the game over from scratch.

10) Tips:
--Small, padded envelopes are usually best to protect the game when mailing it. That is what I will use to mail it back to you.
--You don't need to mail me the game box, especially if you mail multiple carts. If you can spare a game case for a few weeks, put your cart in there and you can mail it in a small, padded envelope. I've also seen people just wrap the cart in a white envelope and then put that in a padded envelope. That works as well.

Thanks everyone.

Liam

Edited by Liamland
  • Upvote 3

Would it be possible to send extracted save files? Not that I need any help here myself; just putting it out there.

wouldn't it just be easier, and maybe cheaper to just get yourself a action replay?

• Upvote 1

Would you like me to post this to the Announcements?

@Woodus, please.

@Kalmana - You may be able to AR the guests.  It would be a cheaper alternative to the Deluxe package.  I'm also not sure you can AR the special maps.  I highly suspect if you AR guests, it will leave your inn physically empty.  I attempted to use the Save Editor to add in unique game IDs, but again, even copying game ID data from one save to a second save, manually, using the save editor, still leaves the inn empty on the second save file.

The higher cost is based on the fact that it takes a long time to tag 30 uniques, and legitimately, physically fill up your inn.  There is labor involved.  If all you want is to open up the inn and fountain, and you have the correct AR codes, go for it.  I don't use AR, because there are too many bad codes out there and I've seen way too many complaints about people having corrupted save files, and needing additional codes to correct whatever damage they've done.

@cartman414 - Very minimal labor just to add special maps to a save file.  If you send me your save, I can just add special maps for free.  PM me and we can connect.

Speaking of alternatives, there is a discussion on GameFaqs about potentially connecting to the DQVC through a non-SSL patched rom, but it requires either AR or NDS and a flashcard/emulator.  The current discussion is about how people have gotten it to work, but that for the US version of DQIX the solution is currently stuck on the Alchaid 4 week.

GF discussion:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/69269109

GitHub page:

https://github.com/polaris-/nintendo_dwc_emulator/wiki

Quote:

"For DS, only flashcards and emulators can be used at this time."

The interesting part about this solution is that it may be agnostic of DQIX--potentially it should to resolve the server issue for a large amount of games with discontinued DLC.

Liamland, sorry for being so late to reply on this one, but I just wanted to say how awesome it is that you are making this service available to people.  Thanks for your hard work and dedication!

Thanks King Zenith!

By the way, I see this didn't make it to the announcements feed yet.  Maybe we need to poke Woodus one more time to have him post it there. 

I don't believe it's possible to give some all of the above by simply using the save editor.  To get special maps you need to have a second cart and you need to tag the map to the target cart using this method.  For additional maps, you then need to go into the Inn, collect the map just tagged, boot the guy from your Inn and then retag him.  That is a tedious process.  Also, the "hardware" required for doing that is at minimum a second DS (assuming you don't already have one), a second copy of the game (assuming you don't already have one) or a flash cart (assuming you don't already... you get the idea...).

This service is being set up for people who don't already have that stuff, or aren't particularly savvy with save extraction, save editing etc...  To such a person who has only one copy of the game and one DS, here is their grocery list:

1) A second DS $$

2) An NDS Adaptor Plus or similar device $$

3) A second copy of the game (or flash cart + ROM) $$

Then they must familiarize themselves with save extraction, download the save editor, learn some nuances about tagging (having to boot people out of their Inn to retag for more maps), download save files that have the necessary maps, including knowing what each special map is called (Emerald Snowhall of Hurt Lv. 81 --> Gem Slime Map on Floor 10...)

To hell with that, for $47 bucks I can send my cart away and just wait for it come back loaded with goodies, maps, guests, DQVC exclusives, etc...

I think it's a great value for a person with limited supplies and lacking the necessary skills to do it themselves. 

I knew this would be a point of debate, which is why I made the following two points in my original post:

"I hope to offer this for a few years while people still need it, but I'm not trying to profit, just justify the time spent. This is a service for DQ fans, by a DQ fan. If anyone who has the same or similar tools wants to take up this service as well (even feel free to under-cut me in price) it's about someone or a group of people providing this service, and not about competition.

It is perfectly in your right to find fault, or get annoyed that I would charge for such a service, but I invite you to take up these projects, yourself, and help me to provide to DQ fans (albeit in a more manual sort of way) what is no longer being supported by Nintendo."

It's about charging for time spent.  It is essentially a freelance gig.  The manual tags take a long time to turn-around, so if you want a full inn of 30 tags, I need to find a means to justify spending that much time for the amount of possible orders I would receive.  The cost helps to cut down on a heavy influx of DQ fans looking for 30 tags, which would adversely affect turn-around time, and the cost helps to justify spending a lot of my personal time, working on these projects.

King Zenith, you can copy map data from one save to another using the editor.  It's not something I describe how to do, or would even recommend, because it is very detail-oriented, and even a misspelling or copy/paste error could result in bad copies of special maps or wrong special maps (mislabeled maps or maps with the incorrect seed, but carry the same name and location) being circulated around.

Considering I work in code and pay very close attention to the details, it's a time-saver that I've used in the past.  I check and test everything for before completing any project, to ensure quality control.  I even offered to add special maps to save files for free for whoever has the tools to implement the save back into their cart, and just needs the special maps.

Mortamor, I also explained the tools I use in section 7 of the original post.  I'm not going to explain the exact steps for how to use these tools.  That information can be readily found online.  In the second paragraph of my original post I state, "This service is for people who do not have access to the tools to do this themselves."  I readily admitted in the posts above that if you do have the means to acquire the tools and the knowledge to use them, then this fan-service is not for you.

Edited by Liamland

Doh, missed the response, posted :)

[deleted content]

I'll check out DQCheat.  My previous attempts to copy UID via the save editor left the inn entirely devoid of occupants.  I want to provide a fully populated inn, not just an unlocked, empty one.

Edited by Liamland

[deleted content]

I will take your thoughts into consideration, particularly about DQCheat.  The service I want to provide is more than just unlocking the inn and leaving it empty, but having it populated.

If DQCheat is able to do that without leaving the inn barren and empty, and I can figure out a way to make this an efficient and scalable process then a significant price drop will be possible for the Deluxe package.

[deleted content]

[T]his is a service for people who do not have the means or resources to do this, and particularly for those who live outside of areas where DQ fans can congregate and share the spoils of their map collections.

Edited by Liamland

Mortamor doesn't convey negative opinions or criticism (constructive or otherwise) in a diplomatic or friendly way.  He is aware of this and I think he knows that if it escalates any further it will get "de-escalated" quickly.

[deleted content]

I do take the concern over price seriously, and I am looking into a way to make this a more efficient service.

I was about to write Mortamor a PM, about what I've been researching, but it makes more sense as an open discussion, so here is what I was writing:

"Hey Mortamor,

I've been looking up an editor that you mentioned called DQ Cheat.  The only thing I've been able to find is a Japanese non-translated version of the DQ Save editor (the latter of which Yab translated, and is available on the Dragon's Den).

Is that what you meant?  Or did you know of another editor, not currently posted on Dragon's Den or GameFAQs?

If it's the same editor, I've used the yab translated version to copy Unique IDs from one save file to another, but in my experience it leaves the inn completely empty, with no characters (despite defining all of the character attributes in the save editor.)  I haven't fully tested that it will even unlock the inn, though I've seen some unconfirmed suggestions online that it will work.

I'd love to not have to charge as much as I'm asking but I'd also love to not have to do all the manual work involved."

...and that's where I stopped writing.  Mortamor, if you know of a different editor, I'm open to exploring it.  I would appreciate more information.

For all involved in this discussion I guess my open questions are:

--Are DQ Fans going to mind whether or not there are people in their inn, as long as it's unlocked?

Pros: Less time consuming/Cheaper Mail-and-Tag solution.

Cons: The process is currently unconfirmed. If it works, the floors are open, but the rooms are all empty. Some might say this has less appeal because it feels hacked.

--Does it make sense to allow users to add in special maps by giving out the information that people would need to plug it into the save editor, themselves?

Pro: Anyone with an NDS Adaptor can access special maps without the need for tagging or Mail-and-Tag.

Cons: It does not resolve the issue for people without the knowledge-set or tools to implement this. You're still going to have the potential for misspellings or miscopied information, which means there is a higher chance of bad maps being circulated.

Additional argument: people can currently use the save editor to do this, anyway.

I'll do some testing on the inn this week.  For any critics, I'd appreciate if we could have a civil discussion about this, as I am putting a lot of thought into how to make this work.  I'm still thinking about these questions.  I may set up a few polls to gauge audience reaction.  More to come, soon.

Edited by Liamland

[Deleted content]

The plan I will work on is gathering data for what people are concerned about with the end result of the inn-tagging: would the majority of fans (ones who would use this service) mind if the inn is empty, as long as it's unlocked?  If that's the case, I may be able to eliminate the Deluxe package and we can just do Standard, or depending on how people feel about authenticity, keep the Deluxe only for people who are adamant about having a physically full inn.  If I can find a way to transfer characters over fully, without the long process of individual tagging, then I can eliminate the Deluxe package cost entirely.  As of now I have not been able to get this to work properly using the Save Editor/DQCheat.  The outcome has been a loaded guest book, with no characters tagged.  This will require testing, so I'll do that first, before I do any further data gathering.

I'll continue to think about the "special map scripting" or a guide for creating the maps from scratch via the editor, but there are legitimate concerns about poor map circulation, and with absolutely no accountability for errors that people might make.  Being unable to QA peoples' changes, myself, I don't think I want to be attached to that result.  If I do end up deciding to do this, there would be a big fat disclaimer attached to it.

Edited by Liamland

Interesting... it leaves it empty? As in, they don't appear even though they're flagged?

Anyone here hex savvy? If it could help, I can donate a Wi-Fi-flagged save to inspect the bits of data that DQCheat doesn't.

Can you elaborate on what a Wi-Fi-flagged save is?  You've mentioned it a few times.  I'm not familiar with the flashcart/wi-fi connection process you talked about earlier, but if someone has a means to edit characters into the inn, using one of your saves, it's worth investigating.

Edited by Liamland

The game has some way of knowing if the parts of the game were unlocked "properly" via a Wi-Fi connection or via alternative methods. I assume it's nested in some anti-piracy code because those side-effects sound a lot like the stuff that happens with pirated ROMs on bad flash carts.

I wouldn't know about the empty Inn rooms honestly, as I have limited experience with DQCheat though I do see it has an Inn tab with visitors and the like in a list with checkboxes.

If my laptop wasn't in such a sorry state I'd tinker with various save files to see if DQCheat works properly.

I haven't seen Wi-Fi over-writes in my experience with the NDS Adaptor Plus/DQCheat-SaveEditor, but I haven't tried the flashcart method yet.

Let me test the empty room theory tonight, when I get home.  Biking back from the office now, I should begin working on this in about 30 minutes.

Had some trouble signing into The Den last night from my home computer, but I did the research last night.  Since I couldn't post my findings here, I wrote them down in the NYC Tag Mode Tuesday topic on GameFAQs, hoping I could post them today.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/67889564?page=14

Here's what I found:

"Having some trouble accessing my Dragon's Den Community login right now, so I can't post the findings on this test, but I just did some research and testing and I was able to successfully port over a character by copying specific values from one save file to the next.

Previous attempts to do this had failed and left the inn empty, but the guest-book full. I have a few reasons for why this might be. First is that any conflicts seen by the save editor are typically ignored. This time I paid close attention to the sequence number that tells the save the order in which each character was tagged, and made sure it matched the max number of visitors. I also tried to pay attention to how many people were in each room. This is where it gets tricky, because I suspect that if you have too many people in one room, this is an instant where the character would be ignored and therefore missing from the inn. In my successful test, I moved the earliest sequenced character from the first to the second floor to make sure there was room in the first floor for the character I was adding.

The process was a little labor intensive, and with the work-arounds and the extreme necessity for attention to detail this could cause more problems that I was trying to resolve, such as disappearing inn folks. It's still technically faster than tagging. However, the fastest possible way (and likely the most efficient) may be to just use the save editor to upgrade the inn, without tagging the full 30 uniques. That will be my next test. I plan on reposting these findings to the topic in Dragon's Den tomorrow, once I've resolved the password issue."

So Mortamor was right that it can be done with the DQCheats Save Editor.  There may be a faster way that I'll mention below, but copying inn-tags with the editor takes a meticulous attention to detail in order to make it work.  When trying to figure out what went wrong last time vs. how I got it to work last night, I suspect that there is an unidentified max number of characters per floor, and if you exceed that max by using the save editor (for example adding 30 characters to the 1st floor) the game will ignore those characters, and they simply won't show up in the inn--they'll still appear in the guest-book and count toward the final number of uniques, however.  In fact, I've often seen changes in the Save Editor will sometimes get ignored by the game if the game simply doesn't understand them, like a defense mechanism.

I've thought about this a lot more since the testing last night and the most simple solution that is going to make sense for the time I would be spending, and the cost for any Mail-and-Tag participants, is to get rid of the Deluxe package and offer the Standard package with the expanded Inn--but not 30 unique tags.  It's a super fast change to execute, and just requires you to raise the inn level to 6 (I also changed the inn tag count to 30, though I don't know that that change was necessary as much as it was me being superstitious.)

Furthermore, I will create a guide that shows people who have the means to execute this themselves how to do this, and what the potential pitfalls are, in the event that they are able to acquire an NDS Adaptor (and get it to work on their PC--due to the hardware specs and lack of drivers that can be the hardest part, sometimes.)

I'm sorry that Mortamor and I were in disagreement yesterday and that anyone here had to witness it.  I hope he returns to the forums soon and that we can put all this in the past.

Edited by Liamland

What are the inn tags, exactly? Each time you connect to someone one of the former DQ characters appears at a time, until they all appear?

I don't think I ever really touched multiplayer so I'm a bit hazy on this, though even if I did my last full playthrough was in 2010 so my memory is foggy. :P

I mean when you go into Canvasse mode with Erinn (or connect two or more DS's locally) to tag copies of your Main Character onto each other's games.  They appear as guests, and you can trade maps this way, too.  I guess I should say Canvasse tags or something, to clarify.

I've noticed the thing about the game ignoring some changes as well. Despite unchecking certain abilities from a Ability branch (Spellcraft to be exact), I still had them AND the points spent in it.

Damn.  I was hoping that would work.  I'd love to be able to clean up my Abilities menu and have just the Sword, Spear, Defending Champion, and a few others I use frequently.

Some other DQCheat things I notice that the game seemingly defends against, if you add a new item, weapon or armor, you need to also add the fact that it was discovered.  There's a separate tab that handles all of the % that appear in Battle Records, and if it doesn't show that you unlocked said weapon, the game tends to ignore your change.  I've come across this during my additional play-throughs, when I created DQ Legacy Heroes, and wanted to cosplay them from the beginning of the play-through.

...but the biggest pain is making changes to the save file when you have a Quicksave.  If you fail to select the Quicksave option when you open the file, then all of the changes you make will be over-written.

If all you need is a one-time change to your file, Liamland's service(s) is far more cost effective.

I hope you don't mind that I typoed your name as "LLamland" when I made my status update yesterday...

Thanks.  (I didn't actually notice the misspelling.)

I wasn't intending to request the service right now (at least not yet), but I did have a question

d. Please remember to include a check and not cash. I will give you the full details of who to make the check out to in our correspondence.

Are you sure you don't want people to send you the money any other way?  For the sake of people who promise not to change their minds about which package they want while it's in transit, it's not illegal to send cash in the mail or anything, and I would suppose there are some people in the world who haven't needed to set up a checking account yet not necessarily referring to myself whom you lose business from (then there's also things like paypal for online credit transactions).  Even if people did change their minds, it would take just as long to send another check as more $ I would imagine, if that was the reason for only accepting checks.  But of course it's your service so you have the right to make the rules on things like this.  

I've thought about this a lot more since the testing last night and the most simple solution that is going to make sense for the time I would be spending, and the cost for any Mail-and-Tag participants, is to get rid of the Deluxe package and offer the Standard package with the expanded Inn--but not 30 unique tags.  It's a super fast change to execute, and just requires you to raise the inn level to 6 (I also changed the inn tag count to 30, though I don't know that that change was necessary as much as it was me being superstitious.)

Furthermore, I will create a guide that shows people who have the means to execute this themselves how to do this, and what the potential pitfalls are, in the event that they are able to acquire an NDS Adaptor (and get it to work on their PC--due to the hardware specs and lack of drivers that can be the hardest part, sometimes.)

Per the above, there's only one pricing structure now.  Standard package now includes the fully upgraded inn.

Are you sure you don't want people to send you the money any other way?  For the sake of people who promise not to change their minds about which package they want while it's in transit, it's not illegal to send cash in the mail or anything, and I would suppose there are some people in the world who haven't needed to set up a checking account yet not necessarily referring to myself whom you lose business from (then there's also things like paypal for online credit transactions).  Even if people did change their minds, it would take just as long to send another check as more $ I would imagine, if that was the reason for only accepting checks.  But of course it's your service so you have the right to make the rules on things like this.  

With the one price a change of mind for the level of service will not require a change in the cost.

I'm working on an update to my initial post that reflects these changes.

I typically don't like to accept a payment (or cash a check) until the work is done, but I can make exceptions for people who have no other option.  I'll accept money orders as well as checks.  I can consider cash an option if someone does not have a checking account.  Typically you wouldn't want to send cash in a white envelope because that could be easily discovered, intercepted and stolen.  In a padded envelope with the game or tucked in a white envelope inside the padded envelope with the game, it probably isn't a problem.

Edited by Liamland

Hey everybody.  Just a quick update.  I need to go on hiatus with this service for a week, while I move.  I should be able to pick the Mail-and-Tag service back up again starting on 9/10.  If you had planned to submit an order within the next week, I appreciate your patience.  I will touch base again on the 10th as a reminder that the service is back.  Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Okay, I finished moving this weekend, and I'm up and running again, for the DQIX Mail-and-Tag service.