mma0701

what are you playing?

I found out about a week or so ago that Deemo, a rythm game I enjoyed playing on my phone, not only came out for Vita, but had a physical copy. Finding out about it was what led to my trilogy of rants a bit ago about Limited Run Games, as this was one of the games they put out. It doesn’t really go for high prices new on eBay so I just bought it from there.

It’s somewhat unfortunate that they added a bunch of stuff to the Vita version of Deemo, but they didn’t put any work to balancing it for the system. See, the original mobile version was about $3-4 and had a bunch of DLC song packs. The way to progress the story and unlock music is playing songs that help grow a tree. Playing a song for the first time grows it about .25m, so playing one song on three difficulties can grow the tree almost 1m. HOWEVER, the farther in you go, the more growth is required to unlock songs and move the story forward, and replaying a song earns you about .08m instead of the usual .25 for a new song or difficulty. The only way to reach those highs again is to perform a full combo or score perfectly.

This makes sense on a phone as a way to get you to buy some DLC songs, but not on a Vita for $15 (for the digital version). The fact that the DLC isn’t a part of the game itself on this version is upsetting.

It gets worse. Gameplay is so-so. The Vita retains the same touch-only controls. You don’t hit a single button ever in this game. Tapping and sliding feels a little weird on the Vita, unlike a phone, and the size of it basically requires you play with your fingers instead of thumbs. Basically, you can’t hold your Vita and tap notes with thumbs, like I’m used to, you must put it on a hard surface and play with your index fingers instead.

I also had to take my screen protector off because I’m of the opinion that some of my taps weren’t registering at all when I had it on. Not to toot my own horn, but I’m no beginner at these games. No, I’m not posting 100% perfect gameplay videos of Project DIVA on YouTube but I like to think I’m pretty decent at them. So I think it’s fair for me to blame the game instead of my own skills and say I know I’m not missing these notes, I’m clearly tapping down on the screen and it isn’t registering them.

Deemo has fallen into the same camp as Gravity Rush: a worthwhile game just for the asethic alone, but damaged gameplay makes it hard to fully enjoy it the way I want to. These problems could have been easily fixed, even just not requiring so much of a grind would have gone a long way and the DLC should have been a part of the base game.

So rather than playing Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, I've been playing Muramasa Rebirth on my Vita. I've had it on there for awhile and have played it now and then, but the last few days I've shifted focus to it. 

So far I've finished Momohime's story, and am on chapter 4 or 5 of Kisuke's story. Just got the sword for him that will break green barriers, so probably on chapter 5 then.

When I first played the original Wii version via a friend's copy, I only played 2 chapters of Kisuke's path and that was it. I've liked having it on my Vita (plus got it for a good price) for some quick bursts of action gameplay and have enjoyed it more now than back in 2009. Love the hand drawn artwork too and its cool Vanilla Ware does that for its games. Playing Muramasa Rebirth makes me want to get back to Dragon's Crown and eventually get that Odin Sphere game of Vanilla Ware's as well.

Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2018 at 12:33 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

So rather than playing Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, I've been playing Muramasa Rebirth on my Vita. I've had it on there for awhile and have played it now and then, but the last few days I've shifted focus to it. 

So far I've finished Momohime's story, and am on chapter 4 or 5 of Kisuke's story. Just got the sword for him that will break green barriers, so probably on chapter 5 then.

When I first played the original Wii version via a friend's copy, I only played 2 chapters of Kisuke's path and that was it. I've liked having it on my Vita (plus got it for a good price) for some quick bursts of action gameplay and have enjoyed it more now than back in 2009. Love the hand drawn artwork too and its cool Vanilla Ware does that for its games. Playing Muramasa Rebirth makes me want to get back to Dragon's Crown and eventually get that Odin Sphere game of Vanilla Ware's as well.

Oi, Yangus!   Odin Sphere is awesome.  Get the Leifthrasir edition for PS4.

I also saw this article you might be interested in.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/373813-bloodborne-greatest-game-generation

Nioh, plus this, got me thinking.. maybe I should give Bloodborne another try?

Got any pointers so this potential hunting dog can git gud for once at this game?

Edited by The Dog of Zahan

22 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Got any pointers so this potential hunting dog can git gud for once at this game?

That depends, where are you at in the game? Or are you going to start fresh?

Just now, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That depends, where are you at in the game? Or are you going to start fresh?

Going to start fresh, try to make myself competent in it.  I have no current plans  to go multiplayer, having no PS+ subscription, but if you have any advice, 'cause I know it's one of your favorite games, I'd love to hear it.  I've tried the game with the Saw Cleaver and Threaded Cane, and I hear a beginner shouldn't try the Cane, but I found I preferred it to the Cleaver, at least at first.  There's something about it that makes me feel more Awesome when I win.

One of my biggest problems was those hulking brutes by the gates.  They seem to have an answer to everything I can do to them.  I keep my distance, and they throw a rock, .  I close in and the smack me with their fists.   I roll behind them and get swept by their swinging fist anyway. 

Also I somehow managed to get to Father Gascoigne once, I forget with which weapon, but in either case, I never beat him.  I hear you need to find some music box earlier in the stage to face him?

Again, many thanks, my friend.  It seems we have pretty synced tastes in games, even if my reach, in Bloodborne's case, exceeds my current grasp.  I figure it's time to learn some stretches and get taller. :D   I'd love to enjoy this game, since I love Nioh so much.

2 minutes ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

Going to start fresh, try to make myself competent in it.  I have no current plans  to go multiplayer, having no PS+ subscription, but if you have any advice, 'cause I know it's one of your favorite games, I'd love to hear it.  I've tried the game with the Saw Cleaver and Threaded Cane, and I hear a beginner shouldn't try the Cane, but I found I preferred it to the Cleaver, at least at first.  There's something about it that makes me feel more Awesome when I win.

One of my biggest problems was those hulking brutes by the gates.  They seem to have an answer to everything I can do to them.  I keep my distance, and they throw a rock, .  I close in and the smack me with their fists.   I roll behind them and get swept by their swinging fist anyway. 

Also I somehow managed to get to Father Gascoigne once, I forget with which weapon, but in either case, I never beat him.  I hear you need to find some music box earlier in the stage to face him?

Again, many thanks, my friend.  It seems we have pretty synced tastes in games, even if my reach, in Bloodborne's case, exceeds my current grasp.  I figure it's time to learn some stretches and get taller. :D   I'd love to enjoy this game, since I love Nioh so much.

Well first off you don't need the music box you get from his daughter. It's entirely optional and will distract him for some time (but not much) in the fight. It's best saved for his beast transformation so you can hurl molitav cocktails at him.

Let me see if I can't find the top videos I always send to new players. They're perfect for starting players. I've sent them to Dragovian.

The second video will take you to VaatiVidya's channel. He is THE guy to go to for lore, boss help, and so on for the SoulsBorne series.

And you should start on March 10th. There will be a "Return to Yharnam," event going on from the Bloodborne community to celebrate the game becoming a PS+ title.

IMG_1590.JPG.13c899d6346221b2a7e43b3858fd9c4c.JPG

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/5wx72f/return_to_yharnam_begins_march_10th_annual/

Been replaying Majora's Mask 3D lately. As of now I've freed two of the four giants, and currently working on the Milk Road events/getting the Gilded Sword. I'm hoping to do the Swamp Spider House and get the Mask of Truth, but I don't think I'll be able to get the mask. If I remember right you can only get the mask on the first day, unless that's been changed in the 3DS remake.

It's been fun replaying the game. I forgot how interesting the game gets.

I played Detroit: Become Human, the next in David Cage’s thrilling attempt at living out his dream to be a film director by making games like movies.

I joke but this one was probably his best. No forced mystical bullshit to make a straightforward story about supernatural phenomena.

The most impressive thing about this game is how all the bits that are included to show what your choices have done actually makes you feel like your choices mattered. Dialogue and actions will sometimes show a lock in front of it to let you know it’s a new option, and these are generally ones you want to pick. I also cannot emphasize enough how much the addition of a flowchart of choices between missions improves this game. It takes away the illusion of choice these games like to fog over your eyes and lays it all out for you. And at the end of a chapter, I can see what I did to cause what outcome and it actually works to show you how many options you have.

All that being said, David Cage should never be allowed to broach a topic like racism and slavery. You can make Markus either MLK or Malcolm X, basically. The robots have to sit at the back of the bus. No, I’m not kidding. One of the three stories is about an Android and a little girl fleeing to Canada for safety. One of the androids even says the, “humans are the REAL monsters line.” The worst of it was when you go to a robot concentration camp and, after they strip the robots of their humanity by making them take off their clothes and remove their human skin, they split people into lines. This man shouldn’t be allowed to write his games anymore after bashing us over the head with a brick about the slavery theme.

Got an advance copy and best Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight. It was pretty good (except for the whole no story part) and it's interested me in Persona 4 Dancing. Love the music from this series and this takes me back to my Rock Band & Guitar Hero days (like all 10 ot them)!

10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Got an advance copy and best Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight. It was pretty good (except for the whole no story part) and it's interested me in Persona 4 Dancing. Love the music from this series and this takes me back to my Rock Band & Guitar Hero days (like all 10 ot them)!

Do it! It has a good story (once you hit the halfway mark) that is canon, has more music than Moonlight and Starlight individually, and it is the exact same gameplay so you’ll easily get the hang of things. Also, you were saying you’d like to get a platinum trophy, and this one has a relatively easy to earn platinum trophy.

Do it! It has a good story (once you hit the halfway mark) that is canon, has more music than Moonlight and Starlight individually, and it is the exact same gameplay so you’ll easily get the hang of things. Also, you were saying you’d like to get a platinum trophy, and this one has a relatively easy to earn platinum trophy.
I'm sure I will. Gonna watch ebay. Yes, I'd love story, and I do love the P4 crew.

Actually just made an offer on one.

Just now, Plattym3 said:
1 minute ago, eal said:

I'm sure I will. Gonna watch ebay. Yes, I'd love story, and I do love the P4 crew.

It was about 10 hours. The first like 3 or so were a bit of a chore since it’s a visual novel setup and it’s basically an introduction to the story of this particular game, how the cast is involved, then a repurposed and protracted version of the story of Persona 4 but with different characters. New character rejects a part of themselves that causes a Shadow to appear, you defeat it, character grows, onto the next person. But from there it shifts to a brand new character and two supporting characters and it instantly improves.

And if you don’t want to play the story, you can skip it and just go to Free Mode and unlock every song one by one instead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eal said:

It was about 10 hours. The first like 3 or so were a bit of a chore since it’s a visual novel setup and it’s basically an introduction to the story of this particular game, how the cast is involved, then a repurposed and protracted version of the story of Persona 4 but with different characters. New character rejects a part of themselves that causes a Shadow to appear, you defeat it, character grows, onto the next person. But from there it shifts to a brand new character and two supporting characters and it instantly improves.

And if you don’t want to play the story, you can skip it and just go to Free Mode and unlock every song one by one instead.

$20 on eBay.  Offer accepted.  It's on its way.  Won't be playing for a while, but got it!

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

$20 on eBay.  Offer accepted.  It's on its way.  Won't be playing for a while, but got it!

Cut to three months from now:

”hey @eal you’ve played those Project DIVA games, right? How are those, which ones are good?”

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:02 PM, eal said:

I played Detroit: Become Human, the next in David Cage’s thrilling attempt at living out his dream to be a film director by making games like movies.

I joke but this one was probably his best. No forced mystical bullshit to make a straightforward story about supernatural phenomena.

The most impressive thing about this game is how all the bits that are included to show what your choices have done actually makes you feel like your choices mattered. Dialogue and actions will sometimes show a lock in front of it to let you know it’s a new option, and these are generally ones you want to pick. I also cannot emphasize enough how much the addition of a flowchart of choices between missions improves this game. It takes away the illusion of choice these games like to fog over your eyes and lays it all out for you. And at the end of a chapter, I can see what I did to cause what outcome and it actually works to show you how many options you have.

All that being said, David Cage should never be allowed to broach a topic like racism and slavery. You can make Markus either MLK or Malcolm X, basically. The robots have to sit at the back of the bus. No, I’m not kidding. One of the three stories is about an Android and a little girl fleeing to Canada for safety. One of the androids even says the, “humans are the REAL monsters line.” The worst of it was when you go to a robot concentration camp and, after they strip the robots of their humanity by making them take off their clothes and remove their human skin, they split people into lines. This man shouldn’t be allowed to write his games anymore after bashing us over the head with a brick about the slavery theme.

Apparently there’s now a bundle of David Cage’s games. This is the PS4 store version, but it seems a physical version is coming or has released already.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA08344_00-QUANTICDREAMCOLL

For $40 I’d check it out even though I think David Cage is a silly, silly man with every comment he makes.

35 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Apparently there’s now a bundle of David Cage’s games. This is the PS4 store version, but it seems a physical version is coming or has released already.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA08344_00-QUANTICDREAMCOLL

For $40 I’d check it out even though I think David Cage is a silly, silly man with every comment he makes.

The only game of his worth spending money on is Detroit. Heavy Rain is very overrated. I lost my chance at the best endings because of the terrible QTEs at the end, if someone tries to tell you characters can die in this game, they are being deceptive (they can die, but almost all of them won’t die until near the very end), and the detective portion of the game breaks one of the most fundamental rules of a detective story in the most egregious way possible so that no one can honestly deduce who the killer is. I have a soft spot for Beyond: Two Souls, but it’s more out of nostalgia. The game itself sucks.

There’s a reason they make bingo cards for this guy’s games. I could write an academic paper breaking down everything hilarious about his statement, “judge me by my work,” as a counter to the negative criticism about how Quantic Dreams fosters a bad work environment for its employees.

Cut to three months from now:
”hey [mention=5497]eal[/mention] you’ve played those Project DIVA games, right? How are those, which ones are good?”
3 months from now I'll be deep into Etrian Odyssey X on 3DS and Persona 5 on PS4.

31 minutes ago, eal said:

I lost my chance at the best endings because of the terrible QTEs at the end

Hey, I can relate with Suikoden 2. #$*!ing game threw a QTE in the 2nd to last dungeon WHEN NO OTHER PART OF THE GAME HAS IT, and if the character it happens to dies, best ending is locked out.

The game is really good, but that part is a real “#$*! you,” from the game.