Sign in to follow this  
Fates

What did you think of Chrono Cross?

This topic came up in the IRC a few nights ago, and I thought it would be interesting to have a thread. Chrono Cross seems to be a very polarizing game.

While I definitely thought it was a disappointing sequel to Chrono Trigger... as it's own game though, I didn't think it was that bad.

It had it's own problems though, like the huge cast which resulted in 85% of it not getting developed. But on the other hand, it had

Also, dat music.

I enjoyed my two playthroughs of it, though I can't exactly say I remember too much about it besides it was different.

53nC8.gif

53nC8.gif

It was, by far and beyond, the worst game I have ever played.

The so-called plot is not just horribly executed but just terrible when you actually give it some thought. There are just too many plot holes, plot devices, and a LOT of suspension of disbelief to get through the story.

I happen to be a very big story-buff and even without the Chrono Trigger references, the game is still a complete failure on all accounts.

Thankfully, there wasn't a sequel since the creator of the game, Masato Kato, had his career go down the toilet as more of his terrible games kept getting bad reviews. And if you're saying he actually helped write Xenogears? Wrong. He only did the very beginnng of it, which is largely seen as generic. It was Tetsuya Takahashi who wrote the actual plot and events of the story. Kato just sticks his name in to pretend he's actually someone top-notch like Tetsuya or Horii or Sakaguchi.

It was fun when it first came out. A year or so ago I tried to play it and gave up after a couple of hours. Just wasn't fun any more. I did manage to feed 100 dragons on my first try though and it was my first time doing it. I guess after that accomplishment there was no point playing the rest of the game.

Absolutely made one of my favorite games.

The faults people seem to find with it I hardly noticed. I was too busy enjoying actually playing it. Only fault I give it is too many characters with not enough background. I liked 80% of the cast... I think anyway, it has been awhile. I enjoyed listening to its theories of how time works and how it connects to Chrono Trigger. I got misty eyed at several scenes (especially after a certain burning building area).

I will say I did get a little annoyed at how you always were somehow damned when choosing certain paths, namely with the environment thing.

When I first played the game, there were so many characters, I just decided to name the characters after my friends... Scary thing? A lot matched my friends of that time (some exceptions here and there).

It's an over-criticized game in my opinion. While I can understand it's far from being the best game ever, it was hardly the worst game ever. Not even worst RPG game ever either; Lost Magic takes the cake there. :P

The so-called plot is not just horribly executed but just terrible when you actually give it some thought. There are just too many plot holes, plot devices, and a LOT of suspension of disbelief to get through the story.

I happen to be a very big story-buff and even without the Chrono Trigger references, the game is still a complete failure on all accounts.

Thankfully, there wasn't a sequel since the creator of the game, Masato Kato, had his career go down the toilet as more of his terrible games kept getting bad reviews. And if you're saying he actually helped write Xenogears? Wrong. He only did the very beginnng of it, which is largely seen as generic. It was Tetsuya Takahashi who wrote the actual plot and events of the story. Kato just sticks his name in to pretend he's actually someone top-notch like Tetsuya or Horii or Sakaguchi.

Chrono Cross was a great soundtrack (with a bonus video game).

Masato Kato is a $#!&ing nutsack retard. He actually claims that events in Chrono Trigger could not have happened after he changed the mechanics of time travel for his sequel. If its in the $#!&ing plot, it makes sense. Unlike actual time travel, Chrono Trigger's was portrayed dramatically.

Soraya Saga, Takahashi's wife, actually wrote the bulk of Xenogears; Kato wrote the Shevat scenario with Maria and Seibzhen. Fei's final form was largely thrust upon the creators by Squaresoft. The English localization team erroneously omitted Saga's name as the script writer for the ending credits. I know these things, because I asked her.

Absolutely made one of my favorite games.

The faults people seem to find with it I hardly noticed. I was too busy enjoying actually playing it. Only fault I give it is too many characters with not enough background. I liked 80% of the cast... I think anyway, it has been awhile. I enjoyed listening to its theories of how time works and how it connects to Chrono Trigger. I got misty eyed at several scenes (especially after a certain burning building area).

I will say I did get a little annoyed at how you always were somehow damned when choosing certain paths, namely with the environment thing.

When I first played the game, there were so many characters, I just decided to name the characters after my friends... Scary thing? A lot matched my friends of that time (some exceptions here and there).

It's an over-criticized game in my opinion. While I can understand it's far from being the best game ever, it was hardly the worst game ever. Not even worst RPG game ever either; Lost Magic takes the cake there. :P

The main problem I had with it was this ridiculous amount of pseudo-intellectualism it tried to pull off in the story when in the end, it couldn't even do simple story elements right. Then the end of the game pulls off this ridiculous wall of text that, when you put it all together, only creates more plot holes than was already existing beforehand.

Masato Kato is a $#!&ing nutsack retard. He actually claims that events in Chrono Trigger could not have happened after he changed the mechanics of time travel for his sequel. If its in the $#!&ing plot, it makes sense. Unlike actual time travel, Chrono Trigger's was portrayed dramatically.

Soraya Saga, Takahashi's wife, actually wrote the bulk of Xenogears; Kato wrote the Shevat scenario with Maria and Seibzhen. Fei's final form was largely thrust upon the creators by Squaresoft. The English localization team erroneously omitted Saga's name as the script writer for the ending credits. I know these things, because I asked her.

Well, that's interesting... but how the heck did he get control of making a Chrono sequel? He's claimed that he made Chrono Trigger's plot (even though he just did fill-ins for Yuji Horii), and claims Zeal is his own original work, but considering the terrible plots he's actually made, I find that to be hard to believe.

Back when CC came out, I hardly had time to play, but I watched my brother replay key scenes for me and his GF, now wife.

I liked what I saw (I won't mention the music, it is so great and awesome but I doubt anyone will ever debate that). I bought the game a couple years back but lent them to my bro so he could play it again (he no longer had his). Now I want it to be released on the PSN so I can finally play it.

I liked how there were a lot of characters. It would allow people who like to do things differently to create unique teams.

I love Serge's design. And I love the fan service scenes featuring Serge, as well.

Okay, I will mention the music. I remember listening to the intro melody over and over. I never got tired of it.

• Upvote 1

Well, that's interesting... but how the heck did he get control of making a Chrono sequel? He's claimed that he made Chrono Trigger's plot (even though he just did fill-ins for Yuji Horii), and claims Zeal is his own original work, but considering the terrible plots he's actually made, I find that to be hard to believe.

Kato only designed the game (Cross) and wrote the script. When the time came that Squaresoft decided they were going to expand the franchise, he was the guy who stepped in with his ideas the fastest.

He did create the specifics of Zeal, or rather, the 12,000 BC point in the story that no one else designed. He also bound together various parts of the plot to his central contribution, granting to it continuity. He is on record saying he was angry at Yuji Horii for his wanted depiction of time travel, and that he (Kato) eventually just gave up on what he thought should be done.

Kato is what you call an "idea guy." He comes up with great ideas, but is unable to make them bear fruit alone. Most of Chrono Cross's retconning of Chrono Trigger's plot was stolen directly from Xenogears: Deus to Lavos, Miang to the Arbiter of the Flame, Phenomenon Shift to Chrono Trigger.

I cannot argue about Chrono Trigger anymore. I used to be part of a fan sequel and I argued about the game so much it has begun making me physically nauseous.

If you want to overdose on Chrono series fandom, www.chronocompendium.com is for you. They have a sob story about how their rom hack sequel, Crimson Echoes, got C&D'd by SE only days from being finished. They had the bright idea to slap their copyright logo on it, too. The game was fanwank, and totally missed the whole theme of Chrono Trigger.

If Chrono Trigger ever gets a real sequel, it needs to focus on the thematic elements that made the game memorable, not to continue the plot and have Lucca get knife-handed to death by a $#!&ing furry.

Edited by Liquid Metal Babble

I cannot argue about Chrono Trigger anymore. I used to be part of a fan sequel and I argued about the game so much it has begun making me physically nauseous.

If you want to overdose on Chrono series fandom, www.chronocompendium.com is for you. They have a sob story about how their rom hack sequel, Crimson Echoes, got C&D'd by SE only days from being finished. They had the bright idea to slap their copyright logo on it, too. The game was fanwank, and totally missed the whole theme of Chrono Trigger.

If Chrono Trigger ever gets a real sequel, it needs to focus on the thematic elements that made the game memorable, not to continue the plot and have Lucca get knife-handed to death by a $#!&ing furry.

Do you mean Crimson Echoes? A "leak" came out for the ROM and has been available ever since. :P

I will agree that it doesn't recapture Chrono Trigger very well... Interesting story from what I saw in that youtube collection though. Some story elements were really cool, such as splitting up the group... but others failed outright (Chrono does NOT talk. Never!).

Do you mean Crimson Echoes? A "leak" came out for the ROM and has been available ever since. :P

I will agree that it doesn't recapture Chrono Trigger very well... Interesting story from what I saw in that youtube collection though. Some story elements were really cool, such as splitting up the group... but others failed outright (Chrono does NOT talk. Never!).

You said it.

*shurgs* Again I guess I am one of the few that loved Chrono Cross it seems. :worried:

I "liked" Chrono Cross. The biggest feeling I have about it is that it could have been so much better. Masato Kato is a $#!&.

Chrono Cross was like riding a bike with three flat tires.

Where'd the third one come from?

I thouroughly enjoyed Chrono Cross. In fact, I even enjoyed Radical Dreamers(The second game in the series which was Japan only).

Say what you will, but I enjoyed all three games equally. I'm hoping CC comes to the NA PSN soon, as I want a non-hacked portable version on my PSP.

And I LIKED the fact that CT for DS added CC references.

I loled when some of you called it the worst game ever. Even if you didn't like it, I respect that, but it wasn't a glitch-ridden cluster$#!& like ET, Superman 64, or Action 52.

Most people are just have a "They changed it, so it sucks now" mentality that has fractured so many fanbases in the past. If you despise the game so much, that's fine, but I'm going to continue playing it.

• Upvote 1

Most people are just have a "They changed it, so it sucks now" mentality that has fractured so many fanbases in the past. If you despise the game so much, that's fine, but I'm going to continue playing it.

There is not a lot of this in the above complaints about the game. Most people did not like it because it did not feel like a full game. I am fine with the game, for what it is, but would have preferred something far more grand.

Ditto on enjoying the game. I liked it just fine. Great graphics, great battle system, FANTASTIC soundtrack. And all of those characters meant a lot of party customization :)

• Upvote 1

I thouroughly enjoyed Chrono Cross. In fact, I even enjoyed Radical Dreamers(The second game in the series which was Japan only).

Say what you will, but I enjoyed all three games equally. I'm hoping CC comes to the NA PSN soon, as I want a non-hacked portable version on my PSP.

And I LIKED the fact that CT for DS added CC references.

I loled when some of you called it the worst game ever. Even if you didn't like it, I respect that, but it wasn't a glitch-ridden cluster$#!& like ET, Superman 64, or Action 52.

It was a glitch-ridden cluster ^$%^&^. The game had a bad batch that doesn't even run past Viper Manor in the very beginning of disc 1. How do I know this? I was one of the unfortunate individuals to purchase one such copy. It was fortunate enough that the game didn't crash on the PS3 emulation but then I had to deal with the PS3 emulation glitches concerning the game (not being able to use any spells during battle).

Overall, horrible experience. The plot just made me even more irate over the game than I already was.

Edited by felixrush

I got bored with it after a while and never finished it. I also didn't like how you got so many characters but could only use three at a time. Except for the soundtrack everything was just really...blah.

I've played very little of the game, but I did enjoy it. I'm a huge fan of VG music, and Yasunori Mitsuda never disappoints. I certainly hope this game makes it in the Playstation Store, so I can actually finish it