Sign in to follow this  
SOuimet

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Pro translation

I take it that further resistance on top of immunity does NOT lead to absorption?

Also, are you the same Shinryu I used to play Gunbound with alongside Asakura Yoh?

1. I just cheated to give myself a Wooper Trooper (it has natural immunity to Zam) with Frizz & Zam 2, Bang & Zam 2, Woosh & Zam 2, Crack & Zam 2, and Sizz & Zam 2. After maxing out each one (and checking inbetween), Wooper Trooper's resistance to Zam never went above immunity. He did become highly resistant to magic, though. :P

2. Never heard of Gunbound or Asakura Yoh.

Edited by Shinryu

I should come back more often, I've missed a few things recently.

Great job Shinryu once again!

However...

I've got at least a good and a bad news, both can be resumed in the same:

I've (privately) "released" a newer patch than the one you are using.

If you want, I can send you this newer version.

Most of the things you noted are changed in the latest version.

Also, my current problem is that I have a fixed space for: skills, traits, items, menu, skillsets, resists and monsters.

So I reduced a lot of the text only to make it fit...

Anyway, I'll check back more often now.

I'm currently doing some testing to see how certain things work.

Hustle Dance: I've read that in some Dragon Quest games, Hustle Dance's HP restoration is based on the user's Agility. In Professional, Hustle Dance restores HP to randomly selected allies 2-6 times. I had my Darck use Hustle Dance in a battle, and it restored around 25 HP per hit (Darck had about 250 Agility at the time). I then decided to use it with my Hihyudorado (because I never got rid of its signature skillset), and, despite having around 600 Agility, only restored about 36 HP per hit. I noticed he was at level 36, so I went around in the final area of the post-game world to level grind a bit. Once he'd reached level 50, I had my Hihyudorado use Hustle Dance again. This time, he regained around 100 HP per hit on average.

Now I'm suspicious; let's try Darck, again, who is now level 28 with 425 Agility. Darck uses Hustle Dance, and it averages at 56 HP per hit - so it seems Hustle Dance's HP restoration is based on double the user's level.

Aurora Breath: I chose Aurora Breath because I have an enemy that I both know has a dual-weakness, and that I can readily test with (Slime Blaster is weak to both Fire and Ice Breath). I swapped out my Hihyudorado for my Zenith Dragon (Dr. Agon), since he had Munchie's skillset, and swapped out Darck for my Prism Peacock (RainHawk) for similar reasons.

-NOTE: Breath attacks are flat damage skills, and are not dependant on any stat. Of the three, C-C-Cold Breath has the highest damage cap (629) for some reason, while Scorch is in the middle (626) and Aurora Breath's is the lowest (600).

Interestingly, while I commanded Dr. Agon to use Scorch, he chose to C-C-Cold Breath next, then Aurora Breath, making my test go faster. Scorch did 367 damage, while C-C-Cold Breath did 393, and Aurora Breath did 312. With this, we can conclude that if a multi-element skill hits something weak to both of them, the damage bonus WILL NOT STACK, so you won't end up with a larger bonus than 150%.

I then switched out Dr. Agon in-battle to have RainHawk and Dimensar (Dimensional Dragon) fight instead, savestated, then loaded an earlier savestate. The reason I grabbed RainHawk is because it has the traits Crafty Fire Breather, and Crafty Ice Breather, and I want to see what happens if a Crafty trait is used against a monster already weak to what the Crafty trait affects. After loading the earlier state, I got into a battle against a Pink Sanguini and two Hyperanemon (they have no resistance to Fire or Ice Breath), and had RainHawk use Scorch, C-C-Cold Breath, and lastly Aurora Breath. Scorch did an average of 243, C-C-Cold Breath did an average of 255, and Aurora Breath an average of 264.

Now let's go back to Slime Blaster: I set RainHawk to Show No Mercy, and it used Aurora Breath, which did 263 dmg. Scorch did 267, and C-C-Cold Breath did 248. I figured that Crafty traits wouldn't stack with weakness, but I wanted to check anyway.

Wicked Waltz: Wicked Waltz does damage to a randomly selected enemy equal to the user's max HP - current HP, with a damage cap of 2000. It seems to affect ANYTHING EXCEPT metal monsters, so I'm not sure what its element is.

Anchor?/Anchor Rod?/Anchor Kuckle?: I mentioned it in my soiler'd list of info, but I left something out, and just learned something: I had forgotten to mention that, if a monster with multiple actions uses this skill, it will not do anything else. What I learned, however, is that it ignores the Counteractivist trait, as Dimensar used it on his own against Slime Blaster (whenever he wasn't using Calamity, Lightning Storm, or Multifists).

If there's anything anyone would like me to mess around with, I'm all ears.

Edited by Shinryu

Here's what I know about those skills tested.

From my understanding, Anchor is the exact opposite of Mercurial trust, in that it's the last attack of the round. Like Mercurial Trust, it's negating any other actions possible this turn for this monster.

Wicked Waltz is Ban Dance type.

Aurora Breath have some lower values than scorch and c-c-cold breath.

I don't claim to know everything those values are, but it's some kind of Min,Max, Min, Max, Min, Max, Limit

Aurora:160, 240, 140, 160, 0, 0, 600,

Scorch: 180, 216, 150, 180, 0, 0, 626

c-c-cold: 198, 217, 165, 181, 0, 0, 629

I never tried hustle dance (I dismissed it, perhaps too quickly). It's limit is 700, but I don't know if it can be that high.

Here's what I know about those skills tested.

From my understanding, Anchor is the exact opposite of Mercurial trust, in that it's the last attack of the round. Like Mercurial Trust, it's negating any other actions possible this turn for this monster.

Wicked Waltz is Ban Dance type.

Aurora Breath have some lower values than scorch and c-c-cold breath.

I don't claim to know everything those values are, but it's some kind of Min,Max, Min, Max, Min, Max, Limit

Aurora:160, 240, 140, 160, 0, 0, 600,

Scorch: 180, 216, 150, 180, 0, 0, 626

c-c-cold: 198, 217, 165, 181, 0, 0, 629

I never tried hustle dance (I dismissed it, perhaps too quickly). It's limit is 700, but I don't know if it can be that high.

That's interesting. And yeah, I don't see how to get Hustle Dance much higher than 200 (it has a variance of like 10%); it doesn't seem affected by the Megabody or Gigabody traits, and Tension doesn't affect it, either. I haven't tried it on a monster with Health Professional, but that only increases the healing done by 10%.

Well, currently, it's not going anywhere. I can't "easily" convert the dialogs, and all the menu, combat, skills, names, etc. are pretty much done. Also, I've hit a space barrier, so now, if I add text somewhere, I need to remove about the same number of bytes somewhere else. I've given the patch to some beta testers, to help complete the remaining stuff (mostly wifi and tags stuff), but didn't receive much feedback yet.

So technically, it's not dead, but not progressing anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_(computer_programming)

Read this. Learn the concept. Also:

http://gbatemp.net/topic/324116-rom-hacking-programming-languages-and-programming-tools-also-asm/

Read that, it also talks about it a bit.

The idea is that you modify the game's code slightly to allow for more space.

I've been programming for the last 18 years, including in C/C++ and Assembler so I kinda know about pointers... Actually, I was able to extract pretty much all the info that is out on this game and the english version because I know how to search pointers, in memory and in the file. I've made my own action replay codes, my own mods and patches. All of those couldn't be without pointers. The space barrier I encountered isn't a simple pointer or value to change, or it would be done already.

I've got a few tools from gbatemp also, to enable me to extend the data and extract the files. However, I don't have that much experience in assembly language and DS Asm is different from the I386 Asm I learned on the side. Also, my family life doesn't give me all the time it would take to disassemble the game and learn how the compression was done and why they have a fixed memory space for everything on the main screen. It's not that I can't do it because I'm lacking in programming knowledge. It's more that it would take a lot of time to understand enough to make this modification, and I don't have this luxury currently. Doing a little at a time won't do any good either. I tried it, but it's hard to remember everything that was discovered a few days back, even with notes, when it gets very technical.

So, it's not that I can't get it further because I lack knowledge. I can't get it further currently on my own because I lack time, support and interest. I tried to get support from other DS hackers, to help unlock stuff faster, but didn't get much yet.

Hey guys, I'm back... Took forever to get my account logged in again. Anyway it looks like I missed a lot of stuff, the wiki hasn't updated in months, most of the pages are blank, and everyone seems to have dissapeared.

Looks like Shinryu had a lot of notes to share, unfortunately for me I have nothing except for one thing I'll mention later.

I don't have the most recent patch so I don't know what all the changes are but if you need byte space wouldn't changing some names from the new ones to the old ones work a little, it might look silly but it could free up a little (by the looks of things tho, you need a lot)

Anyway the thing I was gonna mention was that there was 2 Kazapple spells, why? Couldn't we call it Kerzapple, or Thordain/Thorain?

Sorry I couldn't help much but it just sounds like the problems that are left are far beyond my technological know-how.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a later patch, besides the new translation work I could still go through the game again to find any mistakes you might have missed or fill in any blank spots. In other words I'm still interested even if progress has come to a screeching halt.

Hey guys, I'm back... Took forever to get my account logged in again. Anyway it looks like I missed a lot of stuff, the wiki hasn't updated in months, most of the pages are blank, and everyone seems to have dissapeared.

Looks like Shinryu had a lot of notes to share, unfortunately for me I have nothing except for one thing I'll mention later.

I don't have the most recent patch so I don't know what all the changes are but if you need byte space wouldn't changing some names from the new ones to the old ones work a little, it might look silly but it could free up a little (by the looks of things tho, you need a lot)

Anyway the thing I was gonna mention was that there was 2 Kazapple spells, why? Couldn't we call it Kerzapple, or Thordain/Thorain?

Sorry I couldn't help much but it just sounds like the problems that are left are far beyond my technological know-how.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to get a later patch, besides the new translation work I could still go through the game again to find any mistakes you might have missed or fill in any blank spots. In other words I'm still interested even if progress has come to a screeching halt.

Hi I'm Skyminxyz on Gamefaqs if you want to PM me their in the future. I'm also one of the beta testers from like 4months ago xD (I was way back in the 20's page wise.) Just took forever for me to remember the name of this site.

Either way Don't Give up on this hack! More people are looking forward to it then you think. If you want I could advertise you on Game Faqs to send a few more testers or something. Up to you though, since some might be a ***** and just take the credit.

Edit: Actally based on what Azurus just said I'm better off with an Updated Patch because the only error I could find was the end game area (Text was hard to read whenever dialouge came in that area.) Basically smaller/graphical text issue.

Edited by kirbyxyz

if you want to spread the word on Romhacking.net instead of GameFAQ's that might be more helpful. This game needs hacking help before any translating and play testing will be necessary.

I agree with you though, there is still a ton if interest in this game. I would love to play it through and understand what is happening beyond the stuff that is identical to the vanilla version.

I'm finally getting around to messing around with Wifi on J2 Pro(did not know my flash cart could handle wifi). One of the participation prizes for today was a hunter mech on the open rank.

if you want to spread the word on Romhacking.net instead of GameFAQ's that might be more helpful. This game needs hacking help before any translating and play testing will be necessary.

I agree with you though, there is still a ton if interest in this game. I would love to play it through and understand what is happening beyond the stuff that is identical to the vanilla version.

Okay I'm gonna try going on "Romhacking.net" this week to see if I can find any help. Shame I don't know much about coding/translating though so sorry for that.

KInda off topic but I wonder if we'll ever get "Terry no wonderland 3D" in Amercia/Europe. Probably we will, but I'm nervous seeing as we didn't get "Slime Mori Mori " (Rocket slime "3") either. Meh guess their big project is DQX right now.

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know how to get in contact with SOuimet, or have the latest patch? I recently started playing the Pro version again and found that I had the older translation, and looking in the recent posts, there appears to have been an updated version that's being given out!

Anyone able to help a DQ-fan out? I'll repay you in slime cookies :)

Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know how to get in contact with SOuimet, or have the latest patch? I recently started playing the Pro version again and found that I had the older translation, and looking in the recent posts, there appears to have been an updated version that's being given out!

Anyone able to help a DQ-fan out? I'll repay you in slime cookies :)

You'll have to send SOuimet a PM here on the forums.

That was my first step, but he hasn't been on in almost a month. That's why I wanted to ask fellow fans for a helping hand. Knowing from prior experience, by the time SOuimet probably logs in, I would've forgot about asking or lost interest (e.g. months later).

That was my first step, but he hasn't been on in almost a month. That's why I wanted to ask fellow fans for a helping hand. Knowing from prior experience, by the time SOuimet probably logs in, I would've forgot about asking or lost interest (e.g. months later).

How long has it been since you sent the PM? If it's only been a few days then give it more time. SOuimet might be busy so you'll more then likely have to wait. Also we were told that we could not redistribute the patch.

I've been around romhacking scenes for a while, and I've enough experience to know that if an author vanishes, so does their work. SOuimet hasn't been on for a month, and if this forum doesn't send an email when a PM is sent, then the next time the patch will be available is dependent on whether SOuimet checks back in on the forums--and if no email prods him, that could be a long while. Most of the time, if someone's been gone for more than a couple weeks, their absence tends to be for good few months (again, from my experience across several different scene forums over the past six years). I didn't see an email for him on his profile--does he maybe have a youtube channel I could contact him on? Those seem to be as active as someone's facebook nowadays :P

It's already strange enough that the initial patch that I have hasn't been reupped on the wiki, where the actual source is supposed to come from (let alone this update patch). I'm not saying that SOuimet isn't coming back and the patches are gone for good, but I am cautious about whether new players will get a chance to use the patch, simply because there's no access to it. I've seen tons of cool projects just up and dissipate because the author didn't leave an active download around, and while I completely respect the author's intents, I also believe in sharing the fun while we still have a chance to enjoy it (within the respectable bounds of the author!). So if someone here does have a copy of the patch, it'd be a nice alternative if SOuimet does turn out to have vanished for a spell :)

Just to calm your mind a teensy bit, an e-mail will normally be sent when you pm somebody.

That depends on if you enable that optional setting or not.

For the info, I'm not lost and I still check in frequently (I'm not always logging in).

The setting to receive an e-mail is enabled and I received the e-mail (about 2 days ago).

I normally don't answer emails right away (yes, I'm that busy...) and I also check if it's from someone who's serious or a user who just registered to get the patch.

I didn't re-uploaded any recent versions on the wiki since I received an e-mail from a squarenix's license tracking company asking me to stop.

I don't want the patch, even in it's incomplete state, to go public.

Basically, I don't want someone to simply steal what I did and take credits (though I can gladly share my work if someone want's to try out or help to translate the script), and I don't want trouble from squarenix.

Finally, I still have all the files, and can continue the project anytime I have a clue about the script's encryption or the few other problems I have.

Have you asked if anyone's interestedn in helping with the patch at other sites, like GBAtemp or romhacking dot net? Sadly, we don't have a huge fan-translation site like we used to (The Whirlpool was pretty amazing), so it's harder to look for some help on projects... but sometimes, you get lucky and find a wandering, friendly person who wants to help out :) Thanks for the reply!

(and I'd be more active here, but it actually seems a little dead here--I registered a while ago, all ready to jump in, but then I found, there was nothing to jump into! :( )

(and I'd be more active here, but it actually seems a little dead here--I registered a while ago, all ready to jump in, but then I found, there was nothing to jump into! :( )

It's Summer time. It gets rather inactive at this time. Once fall hits, more activity happens.