The English version of the Chest Timer is here
You need the following information to use it: Seed, starting monster rank, the number of chests for each floor. Yab has graciously labelled where you can find the info once you input your grotto title and location number here. If you don't know your location number, browse here. There is no grace period for this timer. You need to press Start on the timer at the same time you press A on the "Load quick save data" option.
With that said, onto the guide! (Japanese version)
1. Figure out the Seed of your map. To do that, go here
- Enter the full grotto name in the drop down menu (it's in English) and the Lv
- You will need the map location number to figure out the seed. If you don't know it, you can leave the drop-down for it blank and hit the button. However, you may get lots of maps. If you want to find out the location number, go here and browse until you find it.
- I will be using my map, Platinum World of Hurt Lv 93, as an example for this guide. It's location number is 66, which makes the seed 0B40-H.
- Enter your Seed in the box and click the button. For my map, I'll type in 0B40-H
- You'll be taken to a page that has a listing of all of the treasure ranks and the floors they appear on. Ignore that list and go to the first drop-down menu and choose PC that has a bunch of Japanese characters after it. Then hit the button.
- On the next page, click on the first link that has Japanese characters and Lv93 in the title. That's our map.
- The next page is Flash, so if you don't see anything then update your Adobe. This is our timer. Click on the chart and you can use the arrow keys to scroll through it.
- Right now, we can only see the treasures that are on B3 and B4. I'm not interested in those treasures, what I want is a Sainted Soma () which is on B9. So click on the chart and scroll with the right arrow key until the B9-S column comes into view. Now, scroll with the down arrow key until you see for Sainted Soma. The first one appears at 1:00 and it's highlighted blue. The rarer items seem to be highlighted. If you notice, the Sainted Soma stays in that chest for a full 25 seconds so the margin for error is really tiny. Not all chests distribute items in large blocks like this but when they do, it's great.
- Now that we have our target item in view, scroll all the way to the top so that -5 and B9-S are both in view.
- Get to the desired chest and stand right in front of it. Then do a Quick Save. There is no need to turn off the power like with the Hoimi trick, restarting from the title screen will reset the chest timer.
- Now get to the screen where it says "Load quick save data" but don't press A just yet. Start the timer by clicking on the chart and then press Enter. It will start at -5 which is your 5 second grace period. Once "Start" scrolls to the top, press A to load the Quick Save. It needs to be pressed at the same time, if you are a second off, it can hurt your timing for your desired item. In our case it won't hurt us because we have 25 seconds before the chest switches from a Sainted Soma into something else.
- Right away, press B to get rid of the Platinum World of Hurt Lv 93 title, and press Select immediately after. Now we just have to wait until our timer hits at least 1:00. Since we have a 25 second timeframe, I chose to wait until it hit 1:02 to be on the safe side. At 1:02, I pressed B to get rid of the Battle Records screen and I immediately pressed A to open the chest and I got a Sainted Soma. Remember to press B when your desired item reaches the top. Let's say Sainted Soma only appeared at 1:00. I would press B at 1:00, then immediately press A.
- However, I can get another Sainted Soma if I go to the next floor. According to the timer, B10-S will produce a Sainted Soma at 1:40, 1:42 and 1:44. I can make it there in time and it's not a long wait so I'll go for it. I haven't stopped my timer, it's still running. If you do want to stop the timer, then just press Enter again.
- First I need to cast Vanish so I'm not detected by the enemies and once I get in front of the chest I have to press Select to open the Battle Records and press B when either 1:40, 1:43 or 1:44 come up. If I get into a fight I'll have to Quick Save and start to the timer over again once I reach B10-S.
- Now that I'm done, I can cast Evac and do this all over again.
- If you exit the Battle Records screen and get into a fight, DO NOT OPEN THE CHEST. Do another Quick Save and try again. Try positioning yourself at different places in front of the chest to avoid enemy attacks.
- Timing is crucial. You need to be as exact as possible when you start the timer and load your save data simultaneously. Also be aware of how long it takes you to exit the Battle Records screen before you open the chest.
- Do not Quick Save after you cast Vanish. Your vanished status will not carry over once you load your Quick Save.
- Do not use the Chest Timer for everything. Only use it for the 1% items that you are missing and Sainted Somas and Ethereal Stones for Agates of Evolution. Using the Chest Timer is very time consuming and there is no point in using it for things like Yggdrasil Leaves, Orichalcum or Gold Bars.
- If your timer is not responsive when you try to scroll or start/stop it with Enter, then click on it and try again.
- Below are the translations for the important items as provided by yak-breeder of GameFAQ's: