Photo

DWC2 Demo 1.0

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 hawkeye77o4

• Monster Masher

• 778 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Star Trek, Movies, Music, Baseball, Hockey, and other geeky things
  • Tag City:Los Angeles
  • Tag State:California
  • Tag Zip:91202
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

dwc2-logo_zps7f92cbc0.png

It's demo time!

Here is your first glance at Dragon Warrior Classic 2! This demo features about the first 2 hours of game play. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I enjoy bringing it to you.

DEMO!!!

Please feel free to post what you think about the game and your experience thus far. Also any typos, bugs, or flaws you might encounter along the way. Please don't nitpick me to death however, regarding structuring, layout, or fine details like that. I know how some of you are :P . All that is a continuously ongoing process.

KNOWN BUGS:

Spoiler

Happy Questing!!!

Edited by hawkeye77o4, 23 July 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#2 Saigan

• Monster Masher

• 918 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Armored Core, Hiking, Camping
  • Tag City:Colorado Springs
  • Tag State:Colorado
  • Tag Zip:80911
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

My work day just got longer.....

#3 mdb510

• Avid Alchemist

• 138 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2108-5495-8080
  • Interests:Video games, writing, drawing, manga, anime
  • Tag City:Overland Park
  • Tag State:Kansas

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Two glorious hours of gameplay await me... I can't wait! ^^

#4 NecroMalroth

• Avid Alchemist

• 119 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'm having a great deal of fun with this demo.  As with DWC1 (which I also greatly enjoyed), the amount of care in recreating DW2 is very apparant.   :thumbsup:

I've only stumbled on one typo thus far:  The old man in the Fairview inn says, "If thou art poison, each step will decrease they health."  Pretty sure it should be "poisoned" instead of "poison".

Current Wildcard World Cup Lineup - Team +Circuit

"Rhone"
Lvl 75 Malroth (+7)
Stats: HP 980 - MP 761 - Attack 920 - Defence 870 - Agility 700 - Wisdom 720
Skills: Anti-metal 100 (Max) - Uber Attack Boost 100 (Max) - Agility Boost III 100 (Max)

"Flamabou"
Lvl 75 Hawkhart Ace (+6)
Stats: HP 880 - MP 721 - Attack 800 - Defence 800 - Agility 999 - Wisdom 900
Skills: Hawkhart II 100 (Max) - Hawkhart III 100 (Max) - Agility Boost III 100 (Max)

"Pusan"
Lvl 75 Alabast Dragon (+8)
Stats: HP 930 - MP 610 - Attack 820 - Defence 930 - Agility 685 - Wisdom 949
Skills: Uber Healer 100 (Max) - Uber Wisdom Boost 100 (Max) - Uber Mage 100 (Max)

#5 jamiras843

• Metal Master

• 1,090 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

My only gripe is the text box arrow sometimes gets mixed in with the text. Great game!

space for rent, inquire within.

#6 Erdrick The Hero

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,316 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Crash Bandcoot, Game Development, Spyro the Dragon, Dubstep, Portal, random web surfing. In no particular order. Also, Dragon Quest VII (Deserves it's own spot.)

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

"Greetings, oh brave, \n[xxxx]" at the beginning of the game: that second comma doesn't make sense. Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

"...on that day 10 years ago..." I hate to nitpick, but I think it would look nicer if that was written/typed out as "ten".

"sleep well" again, nitpicking, but it should be "Sleep well."

Is there any way to stop events from moving while in the menu? It's annoying when I'm trying to talk, but the NPC moves away before I can.

What? I leveled up without purchasing weapons or armor or using the inn? (I used the inn afterwards, though.)

When telling the king "no" when asked whether you will continue playing, the screen turns black and everything properly, but the music does not stop.

If you hit the menu/action key quickly enough after entering your name, you can pull up the command menu before the game actually starts.

Are you using the font I made, or the one Woodus made?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero, 21 July 2013 - 03:27 PM.

ojdy04.png

Dragon Quest VII-2: http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=25545 (old topic) http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=26940 (current one)

PROGRESS: (Percentages are approximate.)
Storyline Completion:

Spoiler

Mapping (and eventing): 0%
Graphics: ???
Custom Scripts: ???
Music: 88%

PROJECT ENGINE CHANGE: I have moved the project away from RPG Maker entirely. It is a great tool for making 2D RPGs, but just won't work with this project, even with the amazing H-Mode 7 scripts. I will be building my own engine for the game in YoYo Games' Game Maker. The engine will be much more powerful and much, much more flexible.

Special Thanks to Jamiras843, who was a tremendous help when I was still using RPG Maker. Unfortunately, I will not be using his scripts anymore, but he deserves credit anyways. He has supplied me with some battle formulas, and is also a great source of moral support for the project. (Also, he helped with a few plot-related things. Sorry, no spoilers!)

dw7keifer.gif

#7 Erdrick The Hero

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,316 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Crash Bandcoot, Game Development, Spyro the Dragon, Dubstep, Portal, random web surfing. In no particular order. Also, Dragon Quest VII (Deserves it's own spot.)

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

There's a boy in Fairview complaining that his mama won't let him outside... He's outside... Did you mean outside town?

In Fairview, when at the tool shop, there is a window for the party's current gold, but it isn't labelled with a "G" or anything, is this intentional, an oversight, or a bug?

The command window in battle shows the party member's full name instead of shortening it to four letters. Considering you bothered to change that everywhere else, I figured you'd want to know this.

Is it impossible to sell items?

Edited by Erdrick The Hero, 21 July 2013 - 11:45 PM.

ojdy04.png

Dragon Quest VII-2: http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=25545 (old topic) http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=26940 (current one)

Storyline Completion:

Spoiler

PROJECT ENGINE CHANGE: I have moved the project away from RPG Maker entirely. It is a great tool for making 2D RPGs, but just won't work with this project, even with the amazing H-Mode 7 scripts. I will be building my own engine for the game in YoYo Games' Game Maker. The engine will be much more powerful and much, much more flexible.

Special Thanks to Jamiras843, who was a tremendous help when I was still using RPG Maker. Unfortunately, I will not be using his scripts anymore, but he deserves credit anyways. He has supplied me with some battle formulas, and is also a great source of moral support for the project. (Also, he helped with a few plot-related things. Sorry, no spoilers!)

dw7keifer.gif

#8 hawkeye77o4

• Monster Masher

• 778 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Star Trek, Movies, Music, Baseball, Hockey, and other geeky things

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

Oh boy... *TAKES LARGE BREATH*

NecroMalroth:

-Thank you! Just changed it.  :thumbsup:

Jamiras:

-Working on that.

Erdrick The Hero:

-I will look into those and see what I like to make a change or not.

-Working on that.

-That's just the beginning of the game. First weapons shop is in the first town. You do get starting equipment. Make sure to equip them.

-Working on that.

-I'll have to add a wait or something.

-The one Woodus made. I tried your (thank you for that btw)but the font sizing didn't work out to the way I liked it. Nothing again your font, just that the sizes are different from Woodus'.

-Good point, I'll change that.

-DW2's gold box didn't have a 'G' therefore mine doesn't either.  :tounge2:

-I'm working on making everything 4 letters.

-Each castle and town has an item shop where you can either BUY or SELL items. However the weapons shop does not have that option.

*PANT.. PANT... PANT...*

Thank you everyone for your feedback!

#9 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,005 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4169-7228-4456
  • Interests:Cheesecake

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

Only typo I can recall seeing thus far is from the guard near the steps in the throne room of Hollpatent. He advises you about equipping your gear, but says 'obatin' instead of 'obtain', yo.

Mind, that's right at the start, so you probably already noticed it :P Cool demo so far, yo.

EDIT: Okay, I just got to the end of the demo (and am now retyping what I originally had here since going to the full editor decided to wipe it all away for whatever stupid reason) and through the course of it have found what I think to be a sizable bug.

It goes like this: if you go to the item shop to sell something, pick the character you want to sell from, cancel out but choose to keep selling and then pick another character, the window of the first character you brought up will stay. If you choose to sell something from what is shown, you get the money for that item, but the item in the same place of the person you chose is the one that gets removed.

Example: the hero has a chain sickle in the second spot of his inventory, while the princess has a medical herb in her second spot. You choose to sell from the hero, cancel, keep selling, and then select the princess. The hero's window is still shown, you select the chain sickle, sell it, but it stays in your inventory while the herb is removed.

... it's very exploitable, as you can probably tell :P

DWIICMoney.PNG

It can also be problematic, since you can remove important items from your inventory (like the pendant and keys). The game crashes if the spot in the unseen inventory is empty. Also, it seems that the item removal might not happen if the spot chosen to select from has an equipped item in it? When I was doing it at length the princess had lost her own sickle, but the top two items in her inventory were her equipped leather armor and shield, and no loss occurred as I kept selling the hero's sickle at the top of his items, so I sort of got into a loop of gold-making while losing no more items for it.

So yeah, unless DWII had a similar glitch, this seems like something that could use a little work. Sorry for ruining everyone's fun with this for later :P

Beyond that, though, the demo's cool. I might go back to level up some more, see if the princess learns anything else, maybe see if there are some monsters I didn't encounter. The game seems to be shaping up great, yo.

Edited by PantheonSasuke, 22 July 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#10 hawkeye77o4

• Monster Masher

• 778 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Oh crap. Well... I will definitely look into that as soon as possible. Thanks for finding that!

Also Re: Leveling up, I should have put a note. Past level 13 or so for the hero and level 10 for the princess, stats get a little funky since I haven't gone through perfecting them past what seemed to be a decent point for the end of the demo. Also I haven't programmed any spells past the same point either. I think Stopspell is the last spell that the princess learns that'll actually work.

#11 foxfirenelli

• Avid Alchemist

• 132 posts
  • Interests:Video games, music, humor and writing stories. Also, old screwball comedies, TV shows, and British comedies.
  • Tag State:KY
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Great job with this! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   I played this just like a new Dragon Warrior.  I bum rush through the land to see as many towns as I can before I die.  I made it... 2 towns from home this trip before perishing.  Then, I went on a monster hunt.  I found dead head and porcupine particularly charming.  Also, I'm glad that you allowed your songs longer looping time than Dragon Warrior II's songs.  I'm particularly fond of the battle theme and the song elegantly titled "poop." :evillaugh:

Since it's a demo, I'll choose not to exploit those creeper glitches.  However, I do have a petty issue that I also had with DWC (that I didn't see in screenshots or Saigan's videos).  Some of the text is squished in the menus.

1003324_533033810077425_1316380765_n.jpg

#12 hawkeye77o4

• Monster Masher

• 778 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hahaha! There's a story behind poop.

That's weird. I don't have that problem (see the screenshots) so I assumed no one else did. No one else has brought that up either.

#13 Erdrick The Hero

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,316 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

What's the story with poop? (Or did you mean in-game?)

I don't have the issue with the font... ? It might just be you, foxfirenelli

ojdy04.png

Storyline Completion:

Spoiler

dw7keifer.gif

#14 Erdrick The Hero

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,316 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

You can sprint in the room that you warp to from the shrine west of Hollpatent.

ojdy04.png

Storyline Completion:

Spoiler

dw7keifer.gif

#15 rmcin329

• Savvy Seafarer

• 98 posts
  • Interests:Emulating games, reading, sleeping, Bleach(anime), Futurama

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

What are the controls in the demo? I tried checking the readme that comes with it, but it was just gibberish.  I also looked in the .ini file and didnt see them.

Edited by rmcin329, 22 July 2013 - 08:01 PM.

innkeeper_m.jpg

#16 Erdrick The Hero

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,316 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Z is your menu/action key ("A" button on an NES controller, recognized in RPG Maker as the "C" button on the virtual gamepad)

X is your cancel key ("B" button, recognized as "B" as well, I think)

Arrow keys to move

Nothing else. (Technically the Shift key sprints, but that is only in certain spots where Hawkeye forgot to turn it off.)

@Hawkeye:

The "voice" sound (beep beep beep) plays whether or not someone is actually talking. It is present when using items, etc. as well. I can't remember if DWII did this, but most, if not all, DW/DQ games do not.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero, 23 July 2013 - 12:00 AM.

ojdy04.png

Storyline Completion:

Spoiler

dw7keifer.gif

#17 hawkeye77o4

• Monster Masher

• 778 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:11 AM

I'm particularly fond of the battle theme and the song elegantly titled "poop." :evillaugh:

Okay... so...

As I mentioned in the main DWC2 thread, I was having major issues with the cave theme. I didn't like anything I wrote. I had came up with the beginning of something promising and I wanted to hear how it sounded in NES style. So I made an NES version of the first 8 measures of a cave theme. As Fox said, I elegantly named it "poop" and saved it to my desktop thinking it would only be a temporary file. Still not convinced that I liked it or not, I uploaded the 'poop' file to the DWC2 project so I could hear what it sounded like in the (at the time only one) cave. Frustrated, I put the music writing on hold and focused on creating the maps for the rest of the game. As I went along I assigned the 'poop' music to all caves. By the time I was done, all 8 caves were playing my lovely 'poop' file. When I finally wrote the current cave theme that I liked, because I get incredibly lazy at times, instead of uploading a 'dwc2 - cave' file and changing it in all cave maps (which in hindsight really doesn't take that long at all), I simply named it 'poop', uploaded it to the project so I didn't have to change anything, and there we have it.

I'm a lazy bastard.

Edited by hawkeye77o4, 23 July 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#18 Erdrick The Hero

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,316 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

lol.

So, I understand Urekrol does not sleep. Does that mean it's ok to turn off the power without holding in RESET?

ojdy04.png

Storyline Completion:

Spoiler

dw7keifer.gif

#19 Orias Obderhode

• Savvy Seafarer

• 85 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Great job with this! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   I played this just like a new Dragon Warrior.  I bum rush through the land to see as many towns as I can before I die.  I made it... 2 towns from home this trip before perishing.  Then, I went on a monster hunt.  I found dead head and porcupine particularly charming.  Also, I'm glad that you allowed your songs longer looping time than Dragon Warrior II's songs.  I'm particularly fond of the battle theme and the song elegantly titled "poop." :evillaugh:

Since it's a demo, I'll choose not to exploit those creeper glitches.  However, I do have a petty issue that I also had with DWC (that I didn't see in screenshots or Saigan's videos).  Some of the text is squished in the menus.

1003324_533033810077425_1316380765_n.jpg

I want to note too that I started the demo yesterday and my text does the same thing. 

In addition to that, almost every text box in the game has text that goes "outside the box." If that doesn't make sense, let me know!

This happened to me when I originally used the Dragon Warrior font for Legacy of the Lost, but was corrected when I chose a different font. I'm not sure how to fix or why it only affects certain people.

A few suggestions!:

Even though I love Dragon Warrior, I must say that I never played through NES titles too much. I played the old ones on GBC and 4 and later on 3DS. So I'm sure this is more of a trying to replicate the old style, but I would recommend/maybe take into consideration:

1. An easier way to compare items you buy or even when you have bought them. You have to equip the item before the stat gains are shown. It's nice to be able to see changes before equipping. Just a suggestion and the game will be fine if you choose to leave it the way it is!

2. The "talk command". It's like an extra step for a super basic function. I know old ones had this, but just because it's old doesn't mean its best. It's tolerable and at least its the first option. (One more note about text boxes though is that I like that it makes noise with every letter. I wish I had done that for mine!)

3. Saving. I didn't make it to any other town, just leveled up to close to 4 outside, but is it only possible to save at the king? I'm more used to saving at the priest because every town will have one. Saving at the king can be a major annoyance if it is only available at the starting town. Again, not a game breaker by any means, but I actually stopped DWC because of this. Sometimes I'd sit down for an hour to play and 30 minutes in, I may head out to do something. Then I thought "Well, i'll take a while to get there and then I have to go all the way back just to save... so I'll just quit now." Maybe add an item that allows you save anywhere / save at priests.etc. When I recently replayed DW1 on GBC, I used save states more than I normally would, because the fact that you couldn't save except one spot.

Edited by Orias Obderhode, 23 July 2013 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

#20 Erdrick The Hero

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,316 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

These are all things that were present (or not present) in the NES games, and Hawkeye is trying to replicate the NES games. Your complaints are valid, but if he changed these, it just wouldn't be the same.

You'll be in luck with the saving thing though if he makes it to a "Dragon Warrior Classic IV".

EDIT: @Hawkeye: The only place I've had text shrink is in battle if there is more than one Shrunkenhead, when you kill it the text will shrink because "Shrunkenhead-X" is too long.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero, 23 July 2013 - 02:08 PM.

ojdy04.png

Storyline Completion:

Spoiler

dw7keifer.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users