Help: Is DQVC store down? 06-22-2013

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Regis

• Slime Slayer

• 7 posts
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

There's another way to acquire this items, Jay? 
If i don't have the first stage so i can't acquire the "second stage" of an item, right? 
How i can acquire second stage items? Through alchemy?

Now i don't want to play DQ9 anymore because this problem about DQVC.   :(

Edited by Regis, 30 June 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#22 gasgpmo

• Slime Slayer

• 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:05 AM

The best equipment can be found in Grottos through boss drops, as far as I know. I'm not sure but I think there are DQVC exclusive items, but they're not the best equipment.

#23 ignasia7

• Metal Master

• 1,269 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Reading Fiction and NonFiction, Endless Contemplation of Nonsensical Thought, Playing Board Games, Playing Videogames (Especially RPGs), Cooking, Politics, Tinkering with Computers, Hiking, Camping, Traveling...really there isn't much I'm not interested in.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

DQVC has a few items that are almost never found in the game save in very unique instances, such as talking to guests on particular holidays for a chance at cookies or cake.  Or talking to guests on your Hero's chosen birthday for a chance at similar items.  It can be far easier to access via the DQVC.

There are DQVC specific equipment, and these comprise nearly 5% of all equipment, however they're costume only, and most of them are headgear.

A few pieces of costume gear that cannot be found in grotto chests or in blue chests in story dungeons/towns, cupboards/drawers/pots/barrels can be bought for extra pieces via DQVC during certain sale weeks.

All equipment in the game can be had through DQVC, as with all items.  This includes Orbs, and this week was supposed to have been Orb Week.  Makes farming a lot easier, especially if you only have access to level 99 legacies, no AR, no way to remove and replace your save in your cart to use the save editor, and prefer not using a ROM+emulator on your computer.  Also helps at times with gathering extra ingredients for rare alchemy.

Other than that, the best weapons and armour are found through grotto A and S-rank Chests (a few good pieces of gear can be found in B ranks), and through killing grotto bosses (weapons).

It's pretty much one of the best ways, especially if you start a fresh game, for whatever reason, to access some of the best weapons, armour, and some of the most unique and fun costume sets with little effort.

@Dwaine...aye, it is kind of a middle finger, but it's still better than nothing.  We're sending in a third ticket.  If no response I'm going to start a campaign to call up Nintendo, get them to get on SE's asses.  Even if the only answer is an official, "Oops, sorry, we forgot to mention we've permanently shut down a service that costs us absolutely nothing to keep going."

sig.gif

#24 ignasia7

• Metal Master

• 1,269 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Reading Fiction and NonFiction, Endless Contemplation of Nonsensical Thought, Playing Board Games, Playing Videogames (Especially RPGs), Cooking, Politics, Tinkering with Computers, Hiking, Camping, Traveling...really there isn't much I'm not interested in.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

There's another way to acquire this items, Jay? 
If i don't have the first stage so i can't acquire the "second stage" of an item, right? 
How i can acquire second stage items? Through alchemy?

Now i don't want to play DQ9 anymore because this problem about DQVC.   :(

I'll just answer this directly to avoid confusion.

DQVC exclusive equipment is only costume.  It's just another means to access the better equipment in the game.  Note that each week offers different equipment.  It has no bearing or relevance on getting the best gear in the game.  Or the multi-tiered weapons and armours for the highest of each weapon and armour type.

For these things, it offers convenience and only convenience in that you can get extra sets without going through a grotto if you know what week has what rare equipment. 

sig.gif

#25 IlexGarodan

• Slime Slayer

• 15 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Well, I got a response from Square Enix. It is a follows.

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies.

Unfortunately, for support with this game, you would need to contact the Nintendo Support team. You should be able to find further information in the manual for the game.

We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

#26 ignasia7

• Metal Master

• 1,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Yep, got the same.  It's a completely BS response though.  I responded directly to this email, as it says we can in the fine print, with the following:

Dear Square-Enix Support,

This is unfortunate that you have bad information about your own company and servers.  One year ago, and you should have data on this, the exact same problem occurred with the DQVC server.  Many members of Gamefaqs and various other gaming sites, who play Dragon Quest IX called into your offices to complain.  We were told Nintendo ran the servers, just like in the above response.

In calling Nintendo to complain, we were instead told not only that Nintendo does not run the servers, but you, Square-Enix, in fact do.  This was both for Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America.  In both cases Nintendo stated they would forward this information to you, Square-Enix, in the hopes that this misconception and incorrect data would be corrected, and that the DQVC servers would be fixed by you, Square-Enix.

We, the Dragon Quest community, then sent in mass numbers of tickets to you, Square-Enix, through the online support system, as we have done this year (this last being my third, and several others have stated they too have sent in a third ticket).  In response, not only did the technical staff of Square-Enix respond that the servers are run by Square-Enix, but stated they would be fixed.  The problem was then resolved, by Square-Enix in several days, approximately 3-4 if memory serves.

I am not sure why I, and the other members of the Dragon Quest community, should have to call into Nintendo to fix a server problem on a server run by Square-Enix.  Here is the current thread running on Gamefaqs covering the current crisis:

http://www.gamefaqs....-skies/66528465

Here is the thread from almost exactly one year prior, and within it are responses clearly indicating that your company, Square-Enix, has always run the DQVC servers, and therefor is the only company that can fix the issue:

http://www.gamefaqs....-skies/63046321

Please fix this, this is your responsibility, it runs off your servers, and therefor you must fix this. 

sig.gif

#27 ignasia7

• Metal Master

• 1,269 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'll repost what I wrote on Gamefaqs, and hope it doesn't necessarily come to this, but perhaps it is what is needed:

I've decided, if their response to my email is to restate they do not run the server, I'm going to quite sending in tickets, and write an article, all about Square-Enix's treatment of US and EU gamers, denial of services that are anywhere from kb to kB in size (talking about both DQVC AND DQMJ), and discuss the business end of it, how it literally costs them NOTHING, especially going into the future where bandwidth and transfer rates are only going up.

See whoever might take it, and see if it can't be put on the front page as a general article. This should be an embarrassment to S-E, and they SHOULD learn to pay attention to customers. Doubt it will have much of an effect, but even a small impact can ripple.

I'll post it here in case anyone has anything to add. We'll keep it civil, businesslike, and I'll make it a letter from the fans. I'll post a version of it in Dragon's Den as well to get personal notes from other fans.

What do you guys think about this idea?

So as I asked on Gamefaqs, what do you guys think of this idea?

sig.gif

#28 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,778 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

I think it's a great idea.  I would anticipate having a hard time getting places to post the article, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. 

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.pngDQMW_hdpi.pngfoot_dq1.pngfoot_dq2.pngfoot_dq3.pngicon.png

Jessica_sig.pngTrauminate_IMG-5.gifPuffPuffGirl_sig.png

#29 ignasia7

• Metal Master

• 1,269 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

Thanks for the support buddy! :)

I figured too, that it will be difficult finding a way to get any of the major game info sites to post it.  Perhaps making the point that going into the future it seems as though SE is becoming more and more enamoured with online-based content for single-player games.  The treatment of DQVC in international releases bodes poorly for any game not a mainline-FF with such content.  Especially given single player games will likely run along similar lines of small one-time downloads per day, meaning cheap, exceedingly limited bandwidth, and even at 100,000 or more connections per day, this would amount to less than 1/4th a % (assuming around 5kb) of total server bandwidth for one server, and less than 1/10th of total bandwidth allocated to the entire server group from the ISP (depending on how many servers, what types, but I'd have to use generic and basic server builds likely less powerful than what SE uses to make my case).  So why not nip them in the butt now, especially when I'm asking for the article to be posted for free.  See if some of their own writers might not want to chime in (perhaps in this light it's better if I make it sound like it should be their own personal crusade to at least get some ground support amongst the ranks of writers, perhaps an editor if they can be made to feel personally attached).

This goes a step further when one considers DQ7's remake has online content, does it not?  Another point to certainly add some fuel to the fire.  What about possible future sales, and building a fanbase off people reluctant to buy at first, but who will want to buy the game later, only to find portions cut off due to unreasonable decisions to cancel services, despite the obvious lack of business sense it makes given they cannot make any reasonable argument on cost cutting measures.

Does anyone know where SE's servers are, and what the file size is per DQVC transfer?  If they use a separate company to run their servers (makes it even easier to write out and then plead the case to post the article).

sig.gif

#30 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,150 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:I don't like DQMJ.
  • Interests:Emulation, Ranting, Retro RPGs.
  • Tag State:Georgia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

PAR DS, a microSD card, and the save editor.

rhjp6g.jpg

<Crolley> "Your prayers have been answered, small boy. I have punched Ivor."

<PlattyM3> "Where's my beating a dead horse GIF?" <Ryu> "I beat it to death."

<DragonsDen> Dude WTF is with your avatar?

Owner & operator of the Dragon's Den Steam group. Join us.

#31 Rangel

• Dungeon Dweller

• 44 posts
  • Interests:Esperanto, Veganism, Dragon Quest, and other games.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

I am very disappointed. I live in Brazil. I bought DQIX one year ago. Why? Because I played Dragon Quest for the first time one year ago. It's was like an impossible mission to find this game here! Also, it was very expensive... and now the server is offline? That is unfair :( I will support any attempt to bring back the server.

Edited by Rangel, 09 July 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#32 ignasia7

• Metal Master

• 1,269 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

Woodus, if you're still paying attention to this thread, one suggestion by Liamland on Gamefaqs was over asking SE and Nintendo (at least Nintendo to push SE) to release the server code so we could form our own server.

1) Would this be feasible if this were to actually occur.

2) What is the maximum bandwidth and average monthly bandwidth usage, so we can get an idea of calculating if this would require somehow expanding, thus maybe a kickstarter campaign (Branfowl on Gamefaqs suggested this as a possible way to keep it going here should the cost prove too high).  Or if you'd rather not publish that data, what about running an equation on whether this would be possible, by considering 100,000 people possible daily visits at only 2KB per connection, at, assuming equal distance of time with a few overlaps, is roughly 1.335GB per week and a rough average of 5.802GB per month.  This is assuming even 100,000 people would connect (a fairly high number now considering) each and every day. 

Also bear in mind the likely file type is basic text, and if any formatting, basic XML, so packets could be MUCH smaller than 2KB, and therefor use far less bandwidth per month per 100,000 connections a day, as I'd estimate they're anywhere between 2kb and 5KB in size, depending on how much formatting data is present.  So assuming just around 256bytes or 2kb, we're looking at, with a consistent daily stream of 100,000 people, roughly 170.898MB weekly and 742.603MB monthly.

Now, another way to look at it would be, if they could and would release the code, what about creating a player side LAN based server, where the exe to setup and run it is stored here.

Tell me what you think Woodus.

Oh, I'll post this in the DQ7 3DS board as well, in light of the article, for those there that haven't paid any attention to this thread here, on whether I should, and I want to get the opinion of anyone on this site, in bringing up SE's treatment of DQ fans in general, and how they sabotage game sales by depressing fans and never release info until just before actual release.  Though perhaps this is better used in a follow up, assuming this article IS accepted.

I have to take care of some stuff, so I'll post that on the DQ7 board later.

Cheers all.

Edited by ignasia7, 10 July 2013 - 11:44 AM.

sig.gif

#33 Woodus

• Admin
  • Dragon Warrior

• 13,018 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4856-9117-4181
  • Interests:Dragon Warrior, Games, RPGs, RTSs, Golfing, Boating, Web Design ...
  • Tag City:Ankeny
  • Tag State:Iowa
  • Tag Zip:50021
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

For number 2 are you asking how much traffic the Den generates over that much time?

I think I server would be a good idea, not sure how the game knows where to look for it and how you would redirect that traffic to a new server or a local lan server.

woodus_bar.png skbar1.png
firefox_bar.png linkdir_bar.png
amazon_bar.png astore_bar.png
dq8_talk3.gif ice_on_grass_2x.gif dq73ds_loading_slime.gif

#34 Sir Dragoon

• Avid Alchemist

• 129 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:1760-9366-0009 <-- altwfc version

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

CHances are, and I could attempt to confirm later, but it's a) being hosted by Square Enix, and b) it's using a secure channel for communications.  Joker used it, Joker 2 used it, Terry3DS uses it, DQX beta even uses it.  You would need the private key off the server before you could even begin working on it.

------
Only the best heroes are silent....

#35 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,150 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

To be fair, the game is out of print, and they've kept the server up that hosted DQVC for a long, long time.

I don't see it coming back up.

rhjp6g.jpg

#36 redneckpride4ever

• Monster Masher

• 858 posts
  • Interests:DQ (obviously), beer, guns, WWE, money, Big D's Redneck Minute on Youtube, fishing, Monster Jam

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

To be fair, the game is out of print, and they've kept the server up that hosted DQVC for a long, long time.

I don't see it coming back up.

True, but it is fun for the DQ community to harp on them. They so richly deserve it!

Black muddy river/roll on forever
I don't care how deep or wide,
If you got another side.
Roll, muddy river.
Roll, muddy river.
Black muddy river, roll.-

The Grateful Dead

#37 ignasia7

• Metal Master

• 1,269 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

Woodus and Dragoon, right right, it all depends on what is contained in the cart about connection data, and what is in the server, and whether, yeah, if they use a special key (hopefully not one universal to that particular server, but just to access the game...or would it not work that way?).

Ryu...dude, ya, that's somewhat true.  "long, long" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?  Especially when they pulled the plug after 23 months in the US, 22 months in the EU and 21 months in the AU regions back in 2012, until we complained.  Considering Japan has had the game since 2009, their server is still up, there is at least one quest that requires a DQVC ONLY item to complete, and several other quests are difficult to complete without the DQVC (well, ok, we can use yab's chest system, but it won't work on every map, and very few people will have the ability to access those uber maps that make chest farming grottoes such a breeze).

This also bodes poorly on whether roughly 20% of the actual game will remain in place, and by that I'm talking about the Guests and Quests.  Recall that several quests require certain items only available through Guests during birthdays and holidays, and DQVC.

The fact that SE won't even tell us that they have shut down DQVC, and that they've lied this time multiple times in their claim they do not run it, not only bodes poorly on the future of Quest and Guest downloads, but on future releases with online content.  Given the penchant is now to release single player games with online-only content, this behaviour should not be tolerated and needs to be nipped in the behind now.  Not saying the endeavour will amount to any fruit, but it sure beats doing nothing, and if I can actually get some online staffers to see the point in this, there is always a chance of a ripple effect.  SE cares more about it's bottom line, and as redneck points out...they oh so deserve it.

Ok, so the current status of my article.  I wrote the following so far, and this is my third draft.  I'm only posting this thus far, as I've since come up with a better outline model I posted on GFAQs, but I'll repost here as well, because it's comical and I can't believe I actually wrote it how I did:

THE SQUARE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
The Implications of the Loss of DQVC in the Dragon Quest Community

Like the Empire in Star Wars, Square Enix has decided once again, that non-Japanese fans of its' second flagship series, Dragon Quest, have no relevance or importance. Their method of attack, to turn off an integral service to the newest core game to hit Western shores, Dragon Quest 9, without a single word. Then, like a military police state, shut down all fan voices demanding to know what the real status is and attempted placation by falsely claiming to not run the server, a claim that one year ago was made and proven untrue when the same server was taken down in June of 2012.

Now that I have your attention, let us fall back to reality and I will discuss the real situation of how Square-Enix is currently treating the Dragon Quest fan community outside of Japan, the implications of this, and possible solutions.

The server, and service, that has been turned off is called DQVC (an amalgamation of DQ, Dragon Quest, and QVC, the infamous shopping network). This service is available once per day, starting at

Instead my current model I'm going to use, and I will keep just the subtitle of the above, will be the following:

Maybe "Square Enix Removes Key Game Feature Without Warning" as a more appropriate title.

Then I should, as a basic outline, open up with the assumption that we know what Dragon Quest is, we know Dragon Quest is produced by Square Enix, and for anyone who wants to do a touch of researching, I'll assume people already know or would find out that Nintendo having produced DQ9 outside of Japan, has no bearing or relevance in this fight until it will be mentioned.

So introduction paragraph will simply announce that SE pulled the rug out from the service DQVC in June of this year. DQ fans complained, SE gave us a runaround, then claim they do not run the server.

Paragraph 2 will discuss the basics of what DQVC is, and that the game cannot even be completed without the service, and several pieces of equipment made unavailable permanently with the cancellation of the service. This will cover the current state and the lack of benefits going forward to current and future DQ9 players, as there are still new players and likely will be going into the future.

Paragraph 3 will discuss that one year ago, in June, the same thing happened, SE gave us a runaround, we called Nintendo, then SE relented and admitted they run the server then summarily fixed it, giving no indication it would be turned off to anyone from the US or AU. Only one message from the EU offices to a single poster indicated the EU branch of SE will consider turning off the service permanently in 1 year. However no confirmation was given after that point that this was so.

Paragraph 4 will discuss the implications of DQVC going down, and whether even the Quest and Guest system, because of DQVC's being pulled, will also be taken down without notice, and the implications of losing roughly 20% of the entire game.

Paragraph 5 will discuss the business end, the cost and a simple comparison of 100,000 users versus a realistic 100-10,000, and compare these to Lineage 2 bandwidth and a basic cost comparison to show this cannot be attributed to a business decision because it costs virtually nothing to keep it going indefinitely.

Finally, Paragraph 6 will be possible solutions. I changed my mind and instead I'll open up by pointing out that given the game came with the service, it is necessary to complete the game, it offers tremendous benefits and play value for new games and existing games, and the cost analysis indicates that given future expansions of bandwidth and so few simultaneous players, they should reinstate it permanently. The second solution being to make a deal for another company to permanently run the server given...costs say it should be. The third being to release the code to fans and allow us to continue to enjoy DQ9 to its fullest, and bring up PSO.

Finally closing, that whatever SE's decision over the above, should they decide to read this article and act upon it in some fashion, they should do the following: communicate with fans, be open and honest, if you are going to permanently shut down the servers, and do not want to ever start them up again, let us know, we deserve it, we have spent good money now, and would LIKE to on future Dragon Quest releases.

I'm a bit tired of starring at my computer screen, so I'll come back later.  Tell me what you guys think of the format and general direction.

Edited by ignasia7, 11 July 2013 - 03:21 PM.

sig.gif

#38 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,150 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

They should update the official DQ9 page with the info, "As of such and such date, the DQVC service for DQIX has been taken down. To enable post-game content, please do X".

rhjp6g.jpg

#39 ignasia7

• Metal Master

• 1,269 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

They should update the official DQ9 page with the info, "As of such and such date, the DQVC service for DQIX has been taken down. To enable post-game content, please do X".

Yes they should, at the very least. 

sig.gif

#40 Sir Dragoon

• Avid Alchemist

• 129 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:1760-9366-0009 <-- altwfc version

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

Earlier games like Sega's Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast had to deal with the fact that network communications were not very fast at the time.  Many people still had dial-up networking, and Sonic Team needed to ensure that dial-up users had at least some decent experience playing with others.  Encrypting the traffic would've also been too costly of an exercise for the Dreamcast to perform.  A lazy way would be to encrypt using very simple methods, but a motivated person could break it easily.  However they did it, either easy encryption, or none at all, it was possible to create private servers for the game, though it required much trial and error to interpret what was being sent to the servers, and in turn what the servers were sending back to the player.  Not to mention the versions of the games did different stuff along the way.  Having that traffic encrypted poses a problem where, unless you have the ability to decrypt it, you basically are banging your head against an inpenetrable wall.

Edited by Sir Dragoon, 12 July 2013 - 07:27 AM.

------
Only the best heroes are silent....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users