10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. RPG

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,808 posts
  • Interests:Website Coding, Making RPGs, Playing RPGs, Gaming
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

I'm really confused, which one is it?

And what are the differences between them?

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

#2 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,016 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Both, along with Hiragana. Hiragana is the basic Japanese alphabet. Katakana is meant for foreign words. Kanji is what the grown ups use. Character and monster names are typically in katakana. Katakana is the easiest to read and remember for me, because you're mostly figuring out the word by how it sounds, rather than figuring out the word, then looking up its meaning. Kanji are the Chinese (technically they kinda are) looking characters. Recently, Square Enix has been having the Hiragana on top of the Kanji to make it accessible to younger players.

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#3 Aoibara

• Sword Slinger

• 472 posts
  • Interests:Video games, anime and manga, science, math, art and music.

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Dwain is 100% accurate on what he said. If I answered earlier, I might have botched my answer lol.

But here are some extra notes:

In the "kiddy" games, they would use entirely hiragana and katakana, no kanji.

Also in Pokemon Black and White, there is a feature to switch the kanji mode on and off. (It makes me feel so much better since I felt awkward reading only katakana. Only problem is that they don't have the hiragana above the Kanji which makes it hard for me to read sometimes (Not fluent in reading kanji yet xD))

Oh one last thing: Here is how you write hiragana, katakana, and kanji in Japanese:

平仮名 (Usually written as ひらがな in most cases since the kanji for the word hiragana is barely used, but this is the actual kanji for hiragana. Reading is the same.)
片仮名 (Usually written as カタカナ, again, the kanji for this word, and also like the kanji for hiragana, katakana is also not written often in kanji. Reading is the same of course.)
漢字 (Always written like that.)

Made this for potential future references.

Edited by Aoibara, 20 December 2012 - 01:05 PM.

The violist on the roof!

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

My website: http://eternellebliz....com/index.html

#4 Mr. RPG

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,808 posts
  • Interests:Website Coding, Making RPGs, Playing RPGs, Gaming

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

So Hiragana and Kanji is what I would want to learn, correct?

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

#5 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,016 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Learn Hiragana first. That's the basic alphabet and essential for understanding sentence structure. Katakana second. It's the fastest. Then Kanji. Kanji is the hardest. Katakana sticks in my head the best because it's what I encounter the most working with DQ. Unfortunately, I only know a select few Kanji. King or Lord is the easiest to remember. Like a capitol I with an extra line in the middle.

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#6 Billy MK

• Head Hunter

• 625 posts
  • Interests:Video Games and Manga

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm another person very interested in learning japanese, I jsut don't know where to start. Does anyone could recommend me some meterial of sorts?
Posted Image

#7 Aoibara

• Sword Slinger

• 472 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm another person very interested in learning japanese, I jsut don't know where to start. Does anyone could recommend me some meterial of sorts?

Hard to say.Try asking people around your community first.
The violist on the roof!

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#8 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,016 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yes, the rich Japanese community of Brazil.

#9 Megalosaro

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,999 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

If he lived in Argentina, he wouldn't have a problem. There is a pretty sizeable Japanese population there.

But yeah, if you're going to learn to read Japanese, you're going to have to learn all three. Learn Hiragana first, then move on to Katakana. You could probably have a pretty good understanding of both if you practice for a month.

Kanji is a tougher cookie to crack since there are so many of them, each symbol has multiple readings and they're pretty complicated. I am of the opinion that the best way to learn kanji is through vocabulary. What this means is that as you are learning new words, you learn the kanji that constitutes that word at the same time.

#10 Aoibara

• Sword Slinger

• 472 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

If he lived in Argentina, he wouldn't have a problem. There is a pretty sizeable Japanese population there.

But yeah, if you're going to learn to read Japanese, you're going to have to learn all three. Learn Hiragana first, then move on to Katakana. You could probably have a pretty good understanding of both if you practice for a month.

Kanji is a tougher cookie to crack since there are so many of them, each symbol has multiple readings and they're pretty complicated. I am of the opinion that the best way to learn kanji is through vocabulary. What this means is that as you are learning new words, you learn the kanji that constitutes that word at the same time.

True. I was totally fine with hiragana and katakana, but since I was in lower school, I could read no kanji and I had hard time getting around with many of my games.

Kanji is uber important in Japanese. Without it, it can get pretty bad if you live in Japan and unable to read kanji.

Can be easier if you know some Chinese.
The violist on the roof!

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#11 Billy MK

• Head Hunter

• 625 posts
  • Interests:Video Games and Manga

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Yes, the rich Japanese community of Brazil.

Well... DID YOU KNOW?

Brazil has the world's bigges population of japanese outside of japan. The japanese imigration in the beginning of the 20th century was huge. Around the year of 2000 there were around 1.5 million japanese descendents living in Brazil.
In São Paulo there are tons of asian descentends, (mostly japanese), in the neighborhood I work at, in fact, is an area where many of them live.

Edited by Billy MK, 28 December 2012 - 06:45 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users