Knick-Knackatory

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

Alright, so I've finished the main game and defeated Estark in 23 rounds on my first try. Not enough to grab the Catas Trophy at the moment, but I've noticed after obtaining every Knick-Knack (besides the Catas Trophy) there just doesn't seem to be enough pedastals to place each one in the Knick-Knackatory. I've even upgraded all the Knick-Knacks that require it, and I still have to keep some of them in my Bag because there isn't room.

What I want to know is what am I suppose to do with these extra Knick-Knacks? Are there specific places to put each one? I've basically broken them down by level and placed the lower level Knick-Knacks on the first floor, then the others on the floor above. I planned on putting the Catas Trophy on the single pedastal on the top floor when I get it, but I'm not sure where to place the others.

To be honest, I think DQV for the DS could've done without the Knick-Knacks. They don't seem to serve any purpose besides display (other than the Yggdrasil Sappling to get extra leaves).

dd_bar_002.png
Currently Playing: Dragon Warrior IV (NES)
Last Game Completed: Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#2 Ruesen

• Monster Masher

• 933 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2151-0889-5147
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Mario Games, DDR, ITG, Harry Potter, Eragon, Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Ellegarden, Skillet, Jack's Mannequin, Ragnarok Battle Offline, Ragnarok Online, writing, Death Note, Inuyasha, Super Smash Brothers, Homestuck, Problem Sleuth, .Hack Series
  • Tag City:Middlesex County
  • Tag State:New Jersey

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

In my main file, I grabbed all the "best" knickknacks and placed them on display in main areas, with the not-so-good ones in the backroom. For extras, I took the ones I can use in battle (zizzwizz pillow and the terrorcrow for instance) to keep on hand.

And yes, it's mainly filler for the game, probably could be semi-fun if you had people in your area with the game.
Posted Image
Shamelessly stolen randomly online.

#3 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

What backroom are you talking about? The only areas that allow me to place anything is the first floor, second floor, and the isolated pedastal on the third floor. I tried placing some extras in the huge basement room but apparently those are only for Knick-Knacks that are traded with other players.

dd_bar_002.png

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#4 mdb510

• Avid Alchemist

• 138 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2108-5495-8080
  • Interests:Video games, writing, drawing, manga, anime
  • Tag City:Overland Park
  • Tag State:Kansas

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Some of the Knick Knacks can be combined. Stick the Whealbrook sapphire into the musicbox you get from Harry.

And I agree, I thought the Knick Knack collecting was kinda silly. But I liked it because it got me to explore everywhere and talk to everyone to collect them :)

#5 Ruesen

• Monster Masher

• 933 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2151-0889-5147
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Mario Games, DDR, ITG, Harry Potter, Eragon, Pokemon, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Ellegarden, Skillet, Jack's Mannequin, Ragnarok Battle Offline, Ragnarok Online, writing, Death Note, Inuyasha, Super Smash Brothers, Homestuck, Problem Sleuth, .Hack Series
  • Tag City:Middlesex County
  • Tag State:New Jersey

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

The backroom is the room just before the giant room for player-sharing-only knickknacks. And yeah, combine and shine what you can for better knickknacks.
Posted Image
Shamelessly stolen randomly online.

#6 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Well, that's what I'm saying, I've upgraded every Knick-Knack that requires it (the Marital Organ, Yggdrasil Sappling, etc.), but that still leaves you with extra Knick-Knacks that you can't display. At least, it seemed like there wasn't enough room to display the final Knick-Knacks you end up with by the very end of the game. I was just wondering why they have more Knick-Knacks than display pedastals.

dd_bar_002.png

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#7 Democrobot

• Contest Mods
  • Slayer of Psaro

• 3,035 posts
  • Interests:Glee, Glee music, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, older sitcoms, pranks, bad puns, The Hunger Games Series, Star Wars, The Lord of The Rings, The Dark Side, animals, cookies, chocolate bars, donuts, Star Trek, Marvel, Lorde, Imagine Dragons, One Republic
  • Tag City:Camrose
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Country:Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

There is a basement area. It is more like a storage room. I think there are 8 or so pedastals.

dd_bar_032.png

May the odds be ever in your favor!

LINK DIRECTORY

Contest #113-Dragon Quest: The Movie

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30030

Contest #114-Design for Cranberry's DQ Board Game

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30075

Terry's Wonderland 3D

http://www.dragonquest.jp/terry3ds/

X

http://www.dqx.jp/

Join The Revolution!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/WeDemandMoreDragonQuestInTheUsa

DQVII

http://www.dragonquest.jp/dq7/

#8 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

Wow, I feel like a moron. Completely neglected that set of stairs that leads into that small storage room. Looks like it has 5 pedastals, and I have 5 "leftover" Knick-Knacks so it should all fit. :)

I'm kinda surprised and a bit disappointed that there isn't a material prize for collecting them all. Some of the Knick-Knacks aren't exactly obvious on how to obtain and a few take quite a bit of walking, talking, and zooming to get the final thing. I was also a bit bummed when I skimmed through all of my monster entries in the Big Book of Beasts after finding all 202 and didn't get a prize. You would think that DQIV's method of rewarding the player for completing the Book would carry over to DQV, but I guess not.

After beating Estark in exactly 15 turns on my second try, the only thing left for me to really do is beat the final T'n'T Board in Estark's Labyrinth... this could take a while. >.< *falls down a trapdoor*

dd_bar_002.png

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#9 Cairne Gotha

• Avid Alchemist

• 123 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, obviously. I also love my family, fishing, and pro wrestling.
  • Tag City:Columbia
  • Tag State:South Carolina
  • Tag Zip:29203

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

After beating Estark in exactly 15 turns on my second try, the only thing left for me to really do is beat the final T'n'T Board in Estark's Labyrinth... this could take a while. >.< *falls down a trapdoor*

In a different topic...elsewhere, someone suggested taking a character with a high luck stat to have a better chance at winning. :)

Posted Image

Games in progress: Dragon Warrior I (GBC),, Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Games in limbo:
River King, Final Fantasy III, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, Dragon Quest VIII
Games I have and need to play: Dragon Quest VI, Glory of Heracles, Nostalgia, Infinite Space
Wish List: Dragon Warrior III, Dragon Warrior VII
RPGs completed: Pokemon Red, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon LeafGreen, Final Fantasy X (Late 90's into the 2000's). Pokemon HeartGold (October 2010), Dragon Quest IX (Dec 2010). Pokemon Black (Jan. 2011). Dragon Quest IV (Jun. 2011). Chrono Trigger (Aug. 2011), Dragon Quest V (Oct. 2011)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (August 2012).

#10 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

In a different topic...elsewhere, someone suggested taking a character with a high luck stat to have a better chance at winning. :)

I was skimming that topic earlier today; interesting stuff. Was that actually proven, though? Logically it makes sense, but I wasn't sure if anyone else tried it to confirm.

dd_bar_002.png

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#11 Cairne Gotha

• Avid Alchemist

• 123 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, obviously. I also love my family, fishing, and pro wrestling.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:24 AM

not yet it seems. I was going to try it when I got a chance.

Posted Image

Games in progress: Dragon Warrior I (GBC),, Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Games in limbo:
Games I have and need to play: Dragon Quest VI, Glory of Heracles, Nostalgia, Infinite Space
RPGs completed: Pokemon Red, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon LeafGreen, Final Fantasy X (Late 90's into the 2000's). Pokemon HeartGold (October 2010), Dragon Quest IX (Dec 2010). Pokemon Black (Jan. 2011). Dragon Quest IV (Jun. 2011). Chrono Trigger (Aug. 2011), Dragon Quest V (Oct. 2011)

#12 Mario

• Sword Slinger

• 333 posts
  • Interests:Old things.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:49 AM

That doesn't make sense, as it's impossible to absolutely determine what "good" luck is to the player. Aside from trapdoors and the like, how would the game calculate the benefits of landing on, say, a money-gaining tile as opposed to an extra-roll tile?
"Terry and Carver were lovers, and Milly liked to tease Nevan by giving him unwilling lap dances while he cried in shame."

~Liquid Metal Babble

#13 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

That doesn't make sense, as it's impossible to absolutely determine what "good" luck is to the player. Aside from trapdoors and the like, how would the game calculate the benefits of landing on, say, a money-gaining tile as opposed to an extra-roll tile?

Well, I was thinking of it in terms of the game keeping you on the Track without giving you rolls that end on trapdoors or landing on the Return to Start tiles. Not necessarily picking which tiles benefit the player more.

dd_bar_002.png

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#14 Mario

• Sword Slinger

• 333 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

What about trapdoor tiles that are necessary for accessing certain parts of the board? I suppose it could work, but the logistics make it seem unlikely.

Not to mention, I didn't notice any change in fortune between using my Gigantes (30 Luck) and Liquid Metal Slime (255 Luck).
"Terry and Carver were lovers, and Milly liked to tease Nevan by giving him unwilling lap dances while he cried in shame."

~Liquid Metal Babble

#15 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

What about trapdoor tiles that are necessary for accessing certain parts of the board? I suppose it could work, but the logistics make it seem unlikely.

Not to mention, I didn't notice any change in fortune between using my Gigantes (30 Luck) and Liquid Metal Slime (255 Luck).

I was kinda skeptical as well. It just doesn't sound like how a DQ game operates as far as mini games go. I think what it all comes down to in order to win that final T'n'T Board is regular luck... not the Luck stat. And I just don't seem to have any of that right now. I've played that track about 50 times and it just seems like a lost cause, but eventually I'll get it. :tounge2:

Edited by ShdwDragn, 02 August 2012 - 10:14 PM.

dd_bar_002.png

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#16 Cairne Gotha

• Avid Alchemist

• 123 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Luck and many, many, many, many unsuccessful trips around the board.

At some point you'll try any hokum to get it done.

Posted Image

Games in limbo:

#17 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

I've only gotten REALLY REALLY close twice out of about 50-60 tries. I always land right before that trapdoor before the Finish square and roll something other than a four (which is what I would need to land on the Finish). I'm a magnet for trapdoors and Return To Starts.

dd_bar_002.png

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#18 Mario

• Sword Slinger

• 333 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

The only tips I can give are to be persistent, and to resist the temptation to enter turn-wasting treasure dungeons or check the grass for items.

~Liquid Metal Babble

#19 ShdwDragn

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,397 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

I was finally able to finish this board! After countless tries (stopped counting after about 50 or so failed attempts), I was able to finally roll that 4 that I needed when I landed on that same square near the finish line. To be honest, all of the other treasures and items that you can find on this T'n'T Board are WAY better than the actual prize. Starkers is a huge let-down; so is Rebjorn. However, with all those attempts to win I was able to pick up 25 more Mini Medals, a Metal King Shield, Sacred Armor, and a rare Gun Bow for my Gigantes (when he's not using the Hela Hammer).

dd_bar_002.png

My DW FAQs/Walkthroughs
DWII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Walkthrough (NES)
DWIII Boss FAQ (GBC)
DWIII Spells FAQ (GBC)
DWVII God FAQ (PSX)

#20 Democrobot

• Contest Mods
  • Slayer of Psaro

• 3,035 posts
  • Interests:Glee, Glee music, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario, older sitcoms, pranks, bad puns, The Hunger Games Series, Star Wars, The Lord of The Rings, The Dark Side, animals, cookies, chocolate bars, donuts, Star Trek, Marvel, Lorde, Imagine Dragons, One Republic
  • Tag City:Camrose
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Country:Canada

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

I like to buy Meteorite Bracelets from the shops.

dd_bar_032.png

May the odds be ever in your favor!

LINK DIRECTORY

Contest #113-Dragon Quest: The Movie

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30030

Contest #114-Design for Cranberry's DQ Board Game

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30075

Terry's Wonderland 3D

http://www.dragonquest.jp/terry3ds/

X

http://www.dqx.jp/

Join The Revolution!