DQX (JP) English Play Guide

Dragon Quest X Translation Guide Japanese

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,657 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4083-8325-9641
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, anime, manga, computers.
  • Tag City:Los Angeles
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to get this finished in time. I'll try to finish this later but I'm posting what I have for now.

Requirements for playing the game:
  • DQX
  • USB storage with 16GB (It will be formatted in such a way that it will be unusable for anything but the game, so it would be a waste of space to use something much larger.
  • Japanese Wii, or a Wii modified to have the region, online channel, and probably language switched to Japanese. The homebrew channel alone does not cut it because you need access to the Japanese online store as well as being able to start the game from the USB device instead of a disk. This means that you have to remove your account on the Wii Ware channel, which will delete any games you downloaded from it as well. If you have an older Wii model you can use Homebrew with Any Region Changer. If you have a newer Wii Saigan had success with his model LU70 Wii with Mod Mii created by XFlak.
  • Internet for your Wii to use. If a VPN is needed, please see my VPN guide.
  • (Not required to play, but extremely useful) USB Keyboard. You can probably just take the one from a computer and connect it and be able to use it. A Japanese keyboard is better since pressing Shift-2 won't give you an "@" symbol since that isn't where it is placed on a Japanese keyboard, but all of the Alphabet letters are where you expect them, so normal English can be typed without issue. Pressing "Caps Lock" will allow you to type in English without it getting changed to Japanese. If you buy the slime keyboard you can use that so that the characters on the keyboard match what the game shows on the screen.
  • (Not needed) Classic Controller Pro. You can use it if you really feel more comfortable with it, but if you are used to playing Zelda with a Wii Remote, it shouldn't take long to master it on Wii Remote.
500 Free Wii Points
The Japanese Wii system has an ambassador program where if you are helped by someone to connect to the internet you and the person who helped you can each get 500 Wii points. To be eligible you have to have connected to the internet for the first time in the last month. If this is the case, PM me and we can exchange Wii friend codes and I will help you through the process. This will give you half off a month of the game.

Starting the game
The game will need to be installed first, and updates will likely also need to be downloaded off the internet. I will give a more detailed description of the process once I have the game. Once the game is loaded you can play the offline part of the game. You should be able to change your name in the online world, but you won't be able to change your gender.

Commands
When playing the game offline
Posted Image
Go on an adventure
Make an Adventure Log
Erase an Adventure Log
Return the the Title

The online start window looks almost exactly the same as the offline one.
Posted Image

Last three commands are:
Buy a ticket to play the game
When you are having problems
Log out.

This is the main menu in game
Posted Image
Talk Spell
Item Battle Records
Equipment Search
Strength (Translated as Attributes in DQ9) Strategies (Translated as Misc. in DQ9)

If someone invites you to join their party or be their friend a new command will temporarily show up on top allowing you to respond to their invitation.

Battle Menu Offline
Posted Image
Attack
Spell
Item
Strategy (Also translated as Misc. in DQ9)

Battle Menu Online
Posted Image
The new command in the middle is Skill.

Here are some statuses
Posted Image Poison
Posted Image Confused
Posted ImageCursed
Posted Image Paralysis
Posted Image Sleep

Communication
If you hold down B for a few seconds the "Common Sayings" menu comes up so that you can easily say something (rather than type it). They are also paired with gestures (which you can change). If you just memorize these sayings you can communicate with Japanese people without seeming odd.

This is the first page of common sayings.
Posted Image

Thanks!
Hello!
Do your best!
Congratulations!
You're welcome
Nice to make your acquaintance! (Use this one when you or someone else joins a party)
Great work (Though it is a saying you only say at the end of playing)
I'm sorry
OK to go?
OK!

I will try and add more to the translation guide for the main commands latter. Still need to add the manner guide. Especially when using a VPN it is extremely important that we are courteous and well behaved so that we aren't viewed as a danger to the friendly community atmosphere that the game aims for. One persons mistake could also lead to the IP getting banned, so you are putting others at risk as well. Main things are saying thank you when someone cheers you on or heals you.

Edited by Mimas, 01 August 2012 - 11:16 PM.

正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#2 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,055 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

Posted Image

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#3 Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

• Shard-hearted Savior

• 5,623 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4942-6534-8036
  • Interests:Marvel Comics

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for creating this guide, Mimas.

Posted Image
I am the Icecypher!
DQM-J2: 4942-6534-8036

Blog @ Blogspot
An it harm none, do what thou wilt.
Gallery @ LiveJournal || Gallery @ deviantART
The Pathfinder will show the Way.

Play-Asia!

The David Cabello Blog.
Read it now in Spanish.

#4 Chris

• Avid Alchemist

• 112 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Requires more effort than I thought. How easy is it to switch the Wii to Japanese?

#5 Gloomy

• Avid Alchemist

• 222 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

Good work Mimas!

#6 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,011 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4169-7228-4456
  • Interests:Cheesecake

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

Once again, awesome job, Mimas.

And being well-mannered probably is very important. I had actually seen a section on the official site that was labeled as 'manners' in the link. You wouldn't want to go through all the steps required to play imported only to get booted for being unpleasant.

#7 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,657 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

[Lion Picture]

That is probably my favorite picture of yours.

Requires more effort than I thought. How easy is it to switch the Wii to Japanese?

I added some more about that into the guide. The main problem is that you will lose any games you downloaded on your Wii. I also have never done it myself so I can't speak much on the topic.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#8 Saigan

• Monster Masher

• 928 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Armored Core, Hiking, Camping
  • Tag City:Colorado Springs
  • Tag State:Colorado
  • Tag Zip:80911
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I wouldn't recommend it if you have any attachment to playing your american games. The link to ModMii in Mimas' post is pretty easy to use but you can consider your wii to be permanently Japanese if you do the region changes necessary to play DQX. I bought a cheap used one at a pawn shop for this purpose, but I also have Anniversary to play and will be picking up Monster Battle Road- so I will at least have a library of games that it will play.

#9 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,657 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

I wouldn't recommend it if you have any attachment to playing your american games. The link to ModMii in Mimas' post is pretty easy to use but you can consider your wii to be permanently Japanese if you do the region changes necessary to play DQX. I bought a cheap used one at a pawn shop for this purpose, but I also have Anniversary to play and will be picking up Monster Battle Road- so I will at least have a library of games that it will play.

I would think the Homebrew Channel can Geko Loader would allow you to continue playing your American games on your now Japanese Wii.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#10 Gigamagicx6

• Monster Masher

• 891 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

wow, have been looking for this,, great work Mimas!!

anyway, a 16GB USB with only DQX in it huh? now that'll be a problem..

wait a second.. "play a ticket to play the game" what does that mean?? *gonna have to research DQX more*
My DQheroes lv.
1.Avan:lv30
2.Atma:lv40
3.Roto:lv60
4.Solo:lv54
5.Abel/ryuuka:lv52
6.Botsu: lv 70
7.Arus(DQVII):(not yet, tries to play the game after got psp and have the files)
8.Eight:lv52
9.Nain(DQIX):lv99(+1)
Swords:lv44-45.
Nappa: Bezita, what does the scouter says on their levels?
Bezita: ITS OVER NINE THOOOUUUSSSAAAAANNNDDDDD!!!!!
Nappa: Bezita, how much exp we got if we kill Liquid metal slime?
Bezita: ITS OVER NINE THOOOUUUSSSAAAAANNNDDDDD!!!!!
Nappa: Bezita, How many fans know this joke
Bezita: ITS OVE... Wait!! I'm tired of those lines.
WTF?BOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Narrator:and so, the world has gain it's peace from those 2 murderous saiyans.
Posted Image

#11 bluevideogame

• Dungeon Dweller

• 31 posts
  • Interests:Video games, Investing, Collecting books, Computers, Japanese

bluevideogame@gmail.com

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hello!
ありがとうございます!Mimas :evillaugh:
I imported Dragon Quest X, and have been setting the game up since launch day :P . I am very glad that I am now validated to post on this forum. I would love to chat with you Mimas if possible on IM or Skype, or just here. I need help. I am a beginner in Japanese, working very hard to learn.
So far I got the game to work in single player.
I really need assistance setting up, I had this error recently.
Posted Image
Here is my setup.
I turned my wii japanese 4.3j recently.
I am running Overplay Japan VPN, Connectify. - Through my Modem -> Pc -> Wifi -> Wii
Current challenges;
(I know very little Kanji) I believe I need to register the game. I have no idea where to do this! I made a square enix account online, and it doesn't look like it registers the game on there. So I figured it must be somewhere on the login screen. I don't see it, I the picture above might say that. Or maybe it says my wifi isn't working right.

I have shutoff wii during things, because it was freezing at times, because of errors and such. So I couldn't get single player to work anymore, so I am now half done reinstalling the game onto the USB which should fix that problem.
I suppose it now comes down to Connection difficulties and registration difficulties.
Thank you ありがとう
Please help me :)

#12 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,657 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

wait a second.. "play a ticket to play the game" what does that mean?? *gonna have to research DQX more*

Typo, along with a bad choice in words.
It was supposed to be "Pay for a ticket to placy the game" but it really should be "Buy a ticket to play the game". It is the place you go to when you need to buy another month of the game.

Hello!
I imported Dragon Quest X, and have been setting the game up since launch day :P . I am very glad that I am now validated to post on this forum. I would love to chat with you Mimas if possible on IM or Skype, or just here. I need help. I am a beginner in Japanese, working very hard to learn.

Here is my setup.
I am running Overplay Japan VPN, Connectify. - Through my Modem -> Pc -> Wifi -> Wii
Current challenges;
(I know very little Kanji) I believe I need to register the game. I have no idea where to do this! I made a square enix account online, and it doesn't look like it registers the game on there. So I figured it must be somewhere on the login screen. I don't see it, I the picture above might say that. Or maybe it says my wifi isn't working right.
[Picture of screen]
I have shutoff wii during things, because it was freezing at times, because of errors and such. So I couldn't get single player to work anymore, so I am now half done reinstalling the game onto the USB which should fix that problem.
I suppose it now comes down to Connection difficulties and registration difficulties.
Thank you ありがとう

The screen says, "The Square Enix account that you entered can not log in because it does not have a Dragon Quest X contract". Did you make a Japanese Square Enix Account? Also, you don't have to make an account ahead of time on the computer before you play multiplayer. You probably missed something when you were setting up your online account. I would rather any problems you have get posted here so that they can be of use to others, but if you want to talk to me over Skype while you are setting up online this next time I can do that for you as well.

どういたしまして
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#13 Saigan

• Monster Masher

• 928 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Armored Core, Hiking, Camping
  • Tag City:Colorado Springs
  • Tag State:Colorado
  • Tag Zip:80911
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

bluevideogame, yep- that is the registration error. Your game should have come with a card to register with.

Edit: Mimas beat me to it!

Edited by Saigan, 04 August 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#14 bluevideogame

• Dungeon Dweller

• 31 posts

bluevideogame@gmail.com

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

Hello Saigan

Typo, along with a bad choice in words.
It was supposed to be "Pay for a ticket to placy the game" but it really should be "Buy a ticket to play the game". It is the place you go to when you need to buy another month of the game.

Hello!

Here is my setup.
Current challenges;
[Picture of screen]
Thank you ありがとう

The screen says, "The Square Enix account that you entered can not log in because it does not have a Dragon Quest X contract". Did you make a Japanese Square Enix Account? Also, you don't have to make an account ahead of time on the computer before you play multiplayer. You probably missed something when you were setting up your online account. I would rather any problems you have get posted here so that they can be of use to others, but if you want to talk to me over Skype while you are setting up online this next time I can do that for you as well.

どういたしまして

I created a Japanese Square-Enix account online using my pc before hand. I didn't see anywhere to register my game using my computer for dragon quest x, and I don't want to mess it up. :upperslime: What is the process I should use to register? I am totally confused! >.< The menus and process also confuse me, for;
Player 1
Guest Player
------- From there on in, I am lost, I sometimes can find a login screen but I think it is for guests, and I end up getting that error message that I posted. I don't want to mess up anymore because I think it freezes sometimes and last time I had to reinstall onto my usb stick to fix it. hehe

My Skype is david.d64 - I am always available, since I am going to be doing this 24/7 until I am online :P

#15 bluevideogame

• Dungeon Dweller

• 31 posts

bluevideogame@gmail.com

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

Update: I am pretty sure whenever I exit out of the single player offline mode last 2 times I played it, it messes up my game and usb. Because when I reinstalled it worked one more time, then I closed the game using home and it stopped working when I came back, I get into the menus but am led to a black screen. The way I exited must be a bug that corrupts the wii usb memory stick. So I am going to install it again! :P I think I am beginning to understand the menus. I am going to take pictures of them before the reinstall and post what I think they mean.

#16 bluevideogame

• Dungeon Dweller

• 31 posts

bluevideogame@gmail.com

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

Removed

Edited by bluevideogame, 04 August 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#17 bluevideogame

• Dungeon Dweller

• 31 posts

bluevideogame@gmail.com

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

Diagram A - Is this the offline only mode?
Posted Image

Diagram B -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is this translation correct. When I first install the game and boot it up for the first time where do I go and off what diagram? What is the process? ありがとうございます!

My game is currently reinstalling because I kept getting black screens trying to goto these option. I believe this was due to entering Diagram A. Single player mode then playing the game offline, then pressing home on my wiimote in the game when I wanted to quit and using one of the two options to leave. This results in me getting black screens and having to delete and reinstall the game onto my usb drive.

****Update: I believe I shouldn't be pressing home to exit, this must be the problem that corrupts my usb dqx game which leads to black screens. Is there a way to logout correctly?

Also - How do I exit out of the game without corrupting it in offline mode and online mode? Is there a certain place to do that, and save properly?

Edited by bluevideogame, 04 August 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#18 bluevideogame

• Dungeon Dweller

• 31 posts

bluevideogame@gmail.com

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:11 AM

Someone on a language translation site helped me, they said B. said this.

新しいプレイヤーを作る・・・Make a new player すでに遊んでいるアカウントを登録する。・・・Register the account you have played on オンラインモードの続きをこのWiiで遊べるようにします。・・・You will play the online mode on this Wii なおオフラインモードのプレイ状況やまだオンラインモードをはじめていない冒険の書は引き継がれません。・・・You cannot take over the adventure book if you don't start the online mode.

#19 bluevideogame

• Dungeon Dweller

• 31 posts

bluevideogame@gmail.com

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

I thought I would save time by formatting the usb with my computer instead of the wii, and it ended up leaving the dragon quest app on my wii, so I installed dqx and then tried to run it and got a black screen. Uninstalling to see if it deletes the app, then reinstalling it.

Update: It deleted the app along with the uninstall. Installing again...

Update2: When I wake up I am sure you guys will tell me how I am screwing up given what I have said.
A few questions:
1. How do I logout of offline and online mode properly?
2. Where do I go to start playing online upon first installation? Do you not have to even register to get online at first? When does it require you to register the game, is this why I am confused?

Thanks soooooooo much

Edited by bluevideogame, 04 August 2012 - 06:20 AM.

#20 Gloomy

• Avid Alchemist

• 222 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

Having a lot of trouble with the VPN stuff, was working fine for a while but now my Wii doesn't recognize the network, might install windows to see if that helps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dragon Quest X, Translation, Guide, Japanese

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users