• Interests:I LP games fairly often.

www.youtube.com/user/neofrodo
  • Tag City:Crestview
  • Tag State:Florida
  • Tag Zip:32539
  • Tag Country:United States
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Well as it turns out my Slide Tool broke..so I cant use my Swap Magic to play my backups. : (

Is it possible for the Japanese PS2's to play Backups? Or am I stuck with another Slide tool?

Edit: Nevermind. I found an alternative way using Codebreaker and an USB Thumb Drive! Its pretty freakin amazing too! You dont have to exchange disks at all. It instead adds firmware to the PS2 that allows you to bypass the protection without resorting to annoyances like Mod Chips and Slide Tools. :D

Edited by Tesla, 30 July 2012 - 05:15 AM.

I like to do Lets Plays for entertainment. Come watch me sometime.

#2 Erdrick The Hero

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,086 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Scuba Diving, Crash Bandcoot, Game Development, Spyro the Dragon -- In no particular order. Also, Dragon Quest VII (Deserves it's own spot.)

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Are you referring to freemcboot?

I just took the top off of mine, ripped JamPack12 to my computer, replaced all all the ELF files with swap magic coder (but all codes crash my ps2 for some reason) burned it to a blank DVD, and swapped it with the real jampack disk after it booted. Now I can play DQV on my real PS2, even with the patch!

I spent 40 bucks just for a fat ps2 so I could use gameshark and sharkPort, but then realized I only had the disk for gameshark, and I can't figure out how to copy my PCSX2 memory card files through SharkPort. Since I'm already here, and this is topic related, may I ask if anyone knows how to do this? I was considering running a SharkPort iso in pcsx2 but I can't get clonecd to rip it. (it is on a cd, not a DVD, so even though I'm running version 4.something of clonecd, it should have worked fine.) I'd like to use my save with my backup on the ps2.

ojdy04.png

Dragon Quest VII-2: http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=25545 (old topic) http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=26940 (current one)

Special Thanks to Jamiras843, who was a tremendous help when I was still using RPG Maker. Unfortunately, I will not be using his scripts anymore, but he deserves credit anyways. He has supplied me with some battle formulas, and is also a great source of moral support for the project. (Also, he helped with a few plot-related things. Sorry, no spoilers!)

Dragon Quest Games Owned: DW1NES, DQ1iOS, DW2NES, DQ2iOS, DW1&2 GBC, DW3NES, DQ3SFC(J), DW3GBC, DQ4DS, DQ4iOS, DQ5SFC(J), DQ5PS2(J), DQ5DS, DQ6SFC(J), DQ6DS, DW7PSX, DQ8iOS, DQ9DS, DWMGBC(x3), DQMJDS, DQMJ2DS, Torneko 2 PSX, Rocket Slime DS

Dragon Quest Games Beaten: DW1GBC, DQ1iOS, DQ4DS, DQ5DS, DW7PSX(x4), Rocket Slime DS
Needs work.

#3 Tesla

• Monster Masher

• 881 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

I use Codebreaker for mine. Not sure how GameShark does it.

I am wondering if you can play PS1 backup CDs with FreeMCBoot without using a Fliptop/Slide Card? Its kinda hard to do that otherwise.

#4 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,148 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:I don't like DQMJ.
  • Interests:Emulation, Ranting, Retro RPGs.
  • Tag State:Georgia

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Oh, don't call them backups. Even if they are legitimately-owned ISOs (( Meaning you backed it up yourself )) it is still considered piracy. You're a bad, bad *collapses in laughter*

Seriously though. Just say ISO, or burned games. That's all you got. Props for keeping your originals in good condition, but a backup is still a pirated copy, I'm afraid.

rhjp6g.jpg

<Crolley> "Your prayers have been answered, small boy. I have punched Ivor."

<PlattyM3> "Where's my beating a dead horse GIF?" <Ryu> "I beat it to death."

<DragonsDen> Dude WTF is with your avatar?

Owner & operator of the Dragon's Den Steam group. Join us.

#5 Erdrick The Hero

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,086 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Scuba Diving, Crash Bandcoot, Game Development, Spyro the Dragon -- In no particular order. Also, Dragon Quest VII (Deserves it's own spot.)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

What happened to being allowed one (1) backup copy of legally owned computer software?

ojdy04.png

Dragon Quest VII-2: http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=25545 (old topic) http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=26940 (current one)

Special Thanks to Jamiras843, who was a tremendous help when I was still using RPG Maker. Unfortunately, I will not be using his scripts anymore, but he deserves credit anyways. He has supplied me with some battle formulas, and is also a great source of moral support for the project. (Also, he helped with a few plot-related things. Sorry, no spoilers!)

Dragon Quest Games Owned: DW1NES, DQ1iOS, DW2NES, DQ2iOS, DW1&2 GBC, DW3NES, DQ3SFC(J), DW3GBC, DQ4DS, DQ4iOS, DQ5SFC(J), DQ5PS2(J), DQ5DS, DQ6SFC(J), DQ6DS, DW7PSX, DQ8iOS, DQ9DS, DWMGBC(x3), DQMJDS, DQMJ2DS, Torneko 2 PSX, Rocket Slime DS

Dragon Quest Games Beaten: DW1GBC, DQ1iOS, DQ4DS, DQ5DS, DW7PSX(x4), Rocket Slime DS
Needs work.

#6 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,148 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I think that was struck out a long time ago. How can you "legally" back up say... a DS game, or a cartridge-based title?

To a video game company, say Nintendo, there should be no option, from what I've seen. You sure as hell can't back up eShop content, as it's tied to your hardware.

I'm not saying I'm against backing up, I'm an admitted pirate, I just think the term "Backup game" is old and outdated. It makes me think of cheap plastic repos sold in chinatown.

Edited by Derpametric, 04 August 2012 - 05:52 PM.

rhjp6g.jpg

#7 Erdrick The Hero

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,086 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I know. I Have pirated a few games released only in japan. Playing itadaki street special right now with a half-assed menu patch. I'd like to finish it but I don't know Japanese.

Edit: I didn't make the patch but found it online.

Works great on my console though.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero, 05 August 2012 - 02:55 PM.

ojdy04.png

Needs work.

#8 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,148 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

That isn't pirating, that is "Emulation" and "Preservation". You couldn't easily get them (( Ebay may have 'em, but ebay is costly. )) so you did what you had to do.

rhjp6g.jpg

#9 Erdrick The Hero

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,086 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

Well I'm having a hell of a time trying to "preserve" itadaki st. Portable ( can't find an iso, all the ones I can find we're affected by MegaUpload takedown. :(

I'm thinking about buying it on eBay though. It's not in English, but I believe the psp isn't region locked. Either way I have a lcfw so it doesn't matter. Though if I do find a patch I will rip, patch, and run from memory card if I do buy it.

Oh and it's not emulation if it's on the actual console, right? Pcsx2 refuses to show I.S. graphics properly, and my computer is slow anyways.

Does anyone know if freemcboot can brick the ps2? I'm sick of having to swap all the time, but I don't want to ruin the ps2

ojdy04.png

Needs work.

#10 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,148 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

I've always read that swappers are the better ways to go. You could check Ebay for a modded PS2, though.

rhjp6g.jpg

#11 Tesla

• Monster Masher

• 881 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

FreeMCBoot is better for PS2 games. I'm not sure if they can play PS1 games yet tho.

I dont think FreeMCBoot can break your system...but be careful anyway.

#12 Erdrick The Hero

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,086 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

For some reason if any of my burned disks get a few small scratches, they won't boot even through swap magic. I have to reburn them. And as careful as I am, I've had to reburn a few disks already. I don't want to run out of DVDs, what can I do?

This isn't the case with official disks, all of those are scratched to hell and still work fine.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero, 07 August 2012 - 02:16 PM.

ojdy04.png

Needs work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users