453 replies to this topic

#1 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,005 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4169-7228-4456
  • Interests:Cheesecake
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Well, after jumping the gun here and being informed that what I posted wouldn't fit in here until a later time, I thought I should try starting a Mimas inferred that it might be a good idea to start a thread for stuff regarding news that applies to this game, yo. Dragon Quest X, that is.

Anyway, part of what I originally posted in the beta topic went like this.

Sorry to interrupt the current topic here, but I do believe the Dragon Quest X twitter feed has retweeted two images from another Dragon Quest twitter? I believe the tweets have actually been mentioned in the subforum for that stuff...

Posted Image

Posted Image

That slime effect in the second pic is pretty funny. Actually makes me think of the gem jamboree's attack in Battle Road where it bounces off into the sky and might return as a mountain's worth of similar slimes.

And the gigantes... I'm normally a big fan of the monsters, but does anyone else think it's kind of redundant how there've been both cyclops monsters and troll monsters in titles since VIII? I mean, they both kinda do the same thing. They're both big, stamina-heavy monsters that hit hard. The trolls were a little different in III because there were some that could cast spells, but they sorta put a lid on that later. I can see having one of the families in a game, but do we really need both? Also, a cosmic chimaera, which may or may not have appeared already (might be thinking of hocus chimaera). I think I'm still wondering if they'll bring back the metallic one from III's remakes.

And might as well go a bit further... this is what went with the gigantes pic on Twitter.

『ドラゴンクエストX』公式サイトで追加された情報の一部を紹介!フィールドを徘徊している“ぬし”とよばれる超強力モンスター!近づくとその迫力に圧倒されます!

... and the following went with the slimes.

そしてついに、『ドラゴンクエストX』公式サイト本日更新分では、宣伝担当であるボクら、スライムタワーの必殺技が初公開されました!その名も…「スライムシャワー」です!

So yeah. I guess if you find anything related to DQX that isn't relevant to the beta or Mimas' translation of the official site, you can put it here. If you want.

Edited by PantheonSasuke, 05 April 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#2 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,654 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4083-8325-9641
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, anime, manga, computers.
  • Tag City:Los Angeles

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Thanks!
Though I hope you didn't feel like I was beating up on you about it. Since you mentioned not knowing where it belonged I was trying to be helpful. I've kind of wanted a thread like this for a bit because there are pieces of news that come out that since I plan on covering when I get to translating sit unrealized in the non-Japanese speaking world. For DQIX I felt that there were a ton more news sites posting translations of the Japanese news sites, or linking to scans from Japanese magazines.

The slime attack is called "Slime Shower". It looks pretty fun, but I'm disappointed that the Slime Tower just stands there in that picture and isn't part of the shooting slimes.

I have to admit that you are right about Gigantes and Trolls being the same monster. They really do behave the same in battle. But they look so different I really have never felt like they were the same until you mentioned it. I would be sad to see either one go.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#3 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,654 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

Adding some more news.
There will be Demo Events for the game with a stage event, chances to play the game, win the real game (delivered to your house when it goes on sale), and survey participants get a slime cellphone cleaner.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#4 Gloomy

• Avid Alchemist

• 215 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:11 AM

Can we assume the game is fairly far along then? Maybe a summer release?

#5 Megalosaro

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,995 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

They're already talking about demo events? They must be sort of close to launch

#6 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,005 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Though I hope you didn't feel like I was beating up on you about it.

Certainly not, yo. If anything I made myself feel like a fool for posting something in a place where it didn't really go.

Also, that page for the Demo Events seems to be showing a new monster in its border at the top. Looks like it might be a slime... that's a noose. And with gloves.

Well, X is certainly going to have a new slime, at least! Or so I assume if that thing IS a slime XP

Now I can't read Japanese, as I've probably stated a bunch of times now, but judging from those numbers at the bottom the first event might be pretty soon. The 28th and 29th, it looks like. There also seems to be dates for May 26 and 27 and June 16 and 17. I'm gonna assume that the demos there will have a lot of the bugs fixed that have been found in the beta test, though it might also act as additional testing. I don't really know how it works :P

Pretty cool, though. Too bad I'm not in Japan to try for attendance, because the plush toy they're advertising looks nice.

#7 Quart20858

• Avid Alchemist

• 128 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3310-7273-3543
  • Interests:DS
    Minecraft
    The Legend of Zelda
    Monster Hunter
    Dragon Quest
    Pokémon
    RPGs
  • Tag City:Cleveland Heights
  • Tag State:Ohio
  • Tag Zip:44118
  • Tag Country:United States of America

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

My favorite new monster i have seen so far for this game is that Bamboo Soldier thing to the right of the "slime noose"

#8 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,654 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

You can see the list of announced new monsters on the official page.
The thing that looks like a slime rope thing is called a "Puppet Rope".

Though I hope you didn't feel like I was beating up on you about it.

Certainly not, yo. If anything I made myself feel like a fool for posting something in a place where it didn't really go.

No big deal. I mean, the Terry's Wonderland forum seems to just have one gigantic thread that everyone posts into, so people really don't card that much here.

Well, X is certainly going to have a new slime, at least! Or so I assume if that thing IS a slime XP

Well, worst case we have the Queen Slime.

Pretty cool, though. Too bad I'm not in Japan to try for attendance, because the plush toy they're advertising looks nice.

It is a slime screen cleaner, which, actually, I think is the exact same one that Slime Knights (and also Comic Con) gave away years ago.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#9 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,005 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

You can see the list of announced new monsters on the >> official page <<.
The thing that looks like a slime rope thing is called a "Puppet Rope".

Just gonna blow up that link for future reference, mostly because there are monsters here that I have not seen at all (thanks for posting it, yo!), such as that fancy conductor demon and the shell slime with ice instead of a shell. Also seems to be a monster based on that dream eating baku. Guess we better be ready for some Snooze.

(Google translations is also funny. That bush baby thing's name is apparently translated as '~Tsu Diapers than this'. Something got lost :P)

(my current favorite of the bunch is also that bamboo robot guy)

That thing looks like SUCH a reskin XP Still cool, but I'm not sure I'd consider it too new when it looks so much like the king :P Will have to see how it acts in battle, yo.

It is a slime screen cleaner, which, actually, I think is the exact same one that Slime Knights (and also Comic Con) gave away years ago.

That so, yo? I seem to miss a lot of these opportunities. I could certainly use a new screen cleaner, though, which an actual slime would probably be terrible at.

#10 Megalosaro

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,995 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Nah, the Queen Slime is more than just a reskin. For one thing, they have different crowns.

I wonder if we're also going to get the "Dark King Slime" that is in Terry's Wonderland 3D

Nah, the Queen Slime is more than just a reskin. For one thing, they have different crowns.

I wonder if we're also going to get the "Dark King Slime" that is in Terry's Wonderland 3D

#11 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,654 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Just gonna blow up that link for future reference, mostly because there are monsters here that I have not seen at all (thanks for posting it, yo!), such as that fancy conductor demon and the shell slime with ice instead of a shell. Also seems to be a monster based on that dream eating baku. Guess we better be ready for some Snooze.

That is why I need to get back to translating. People seem to have a hard time navigating through the official site because of the Japanese, but it is chock full of information. By the way, you can see them in battle if you click on their image. The ice Shell Slime (Turara Slime), proably lives in the icy area where the Ogre's live. Though I don't recall any beta testers talking about them.The Baku monster does seem interesting. I'm betting he hangs out by the Elves. That is where I think all of the "oriental" style monsters will be heading.

(Google translations is also funny. That bush baby thing's name is apparently translated as '~Tsu Diapers than this'. Something got lost :P)

Another reason why I need to get back to translating. The name is Omutsukkori. The Omutsu part means diapers. I'm not sure yet what the Tsukkori part means. I'm sure it is word play of some sort/

That thing looks like SUCH a reskin XP Still cool, but I'm not sure I'd consider it too new when it looks so much like the king :P Will have to see how it acts in battle, yo.

I understand from the Beta that it is killing people with Mahyado.(Uh, Kacrackle if we are talking about any game before IX, and Kacrack in IX. Excuse me while I go complain about the DQ Wiki)

That so, yo? I seem to miss a lot of these opportunities. I could certainly use a new screen cleaner, though, which an actual slime would probably be terrible at.

Here is the picture I took after the 2007 Comic Con where they handed it out. You had to complete a stamp rally where you got stamps from all the manga publishers putting out Square Enix manga and then they gave you swag. You can see my metal slime screen cleaner in the upper left of the picture. They also had blue and red of course.
Posted Image
Kind of makes me sad that I wasn't able to get tickets to this years Comic Con. It is the only event I go to that has Square Enix presence.

I don't know. I think it might be a reskin. Personally I don't care though. Its creative, and I can understand the need to save space as well.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#12 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,005 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

That's some spiffy swag, yo, but that slime screen cleaner looks really tiny. Cool to hear that they came in normal, she-, and metal varieties, though.

I don't know. I think it might be a reskin. Personally I don't care though. Its creative, and I can understand the need to save space as well.

I guess I keep thinking that we're living in an age where games can be afforded all this room to work their magic XP The game looks like it's gonna be big, so I should probably start thinking that they're recycling models for the sake of space, and not because it's become a tradition in the games.

Thanks for the tip with clicking the images. I kinda like that scary looking monster with the horn-shaped lances and the face on its armor. Have there been any woes voiced about that guy like the ones for the queen slime? :P

EDIT:

People seem to have a hard time navigating through the official site because of the Japanese, but it is chock full of information.

We should all try roughin' it anyhow. (not that it's too hard, if you mouse-over a link the name of the destination will clue you in to what's there) I just spotted these guys on the page for vocations! (says 'Job' on the site :P)

Posted Image

Edited by PantheonSasuke, 12 April 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#13 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,654 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

Posted Image

Are those Nail Beast's new, or were they in a previous game?
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#14 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,005 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Posted Image

VII, yo.

That game introduced a lot of scary ones :P

#15 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,654 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Posted Image

VII, yo.

That game introduced a lot of scary ones :P

Thanks! Yeah, it is certainly scary looking, but I guess it isn't memorable. Even seeing the sprite didn't jog any memory for me. I need to get the new Dragon Quest Monster Encyclopedia. 1600 monsters in it with pictures of each and every one of them. Comes out May 31.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#16 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,005 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

So how much is 2,520 yen in dollars? :P

And I thought it was memorable... looking at it now, it kinda looks like the hunters from Biohazard / Resident Evil.

#17 Megalosaro

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,995 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

That's about 31 dollars.

So buying this book

#18 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,654 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

I miss the days of 100 yen = $1 (or actually 150 yen = $1 was the rate when I first visited Japan in 1999).

Based on its release date I would guess that new Terry Monsters will be in it, but we won't get the full set of DQ X monsters. I'm hoping it will show up at the local Japanese bookstores so I don't have to order it online (though I guess I could special order it at a store as well).
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#19 Megalosaro

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,995 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

When my dad lived in Japan in the 80s, it was like 200 yen to the dollar. Shame it can't be that way still. I could justify buying at lot more games at 9000 with that kind of exchange rate than I can at the current one.

#20 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,015 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thanks! Yeah, it is certainly scary looking, but I guess it isn't memorable. Even seeing the sprite didn't jog any memory for me. I need to get the new Dragon Quest Monster Encyclopedia. 1600 monsters in it with pictures of each and every one of them. Comes out May 31.

Posted Image

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users