• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Red Dragon

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,492 posts
  • Interests:Work, family, Sports, Fishing, Hunting, The Great Outdoors
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Mass Effect 3 is an action game with RPG elements to it. I think the third game is a major step back from the second one for two reasons. Multiplayer and the ending.

Graphics - A - Very good graphics.

Story and atmosphere - B+ - Through most of the game, it was good and some decisions made from ME1 and ME2 come back for the game plots. It's carried well, until the ending. Decisions you made past and present have consequences.

Voice Acting - A. I'm a tough grader on voice acting. They actually got it right.

Combat and Play Control - B-. Similar to ME2. There are a couple of freezing points at times. Make sure you save your game often in different places. At least one sidequest had significant bug issues as well. As each sidequest can significantly affect the ending if you don't play multiplayer, that's a big deal.

Difficulty - A/D - Adjustable. It can be easy or very hard. I played it on normal and while I died a few times, only the brutes, phantoms, banshees, and a lot of geth rocket troops gave me a ton of problems. I preferred sniper rifle, so those were bad matchups for me. The D however refers to multiplayer requirements. If you do not play multiplayer, you get docked 50% of your war assets effectiveness, making it twice as hard to get a good ending. It's incredibly stupid and artifically increases difficulty. I don't mind it being tough to get the top ending, but games should be single player or multiplayer and they should be seperate.

Length - A- - It's a long game, and most of it was good. A little drag at some spots, but it held my attention well.

Endings - F - It's the lite beer version of Deus Ex Human Revolution. A bad copy. What works there does not work here. I don't have the attachments to those characters that I did to Shepard, Garrus, Tali, and Liara over three games. The whole trilogy is about decisions throughout the course of the game or three games. That's what makes this ending so bad, besids the fact that it is woefully incomplete. I was prepared for the Disney hero ending, prepared for losing Shepard, losing crew, or losing Earth. Not this. Compared to the A+ good ending of ME2 (Graded the bad ending a B+), this gets a solid F for failure or FUBAR - take your pick.

Specific problems (Spoilers):
Spoiler

Overall - B- - Good but flawed. Two major flaws. Multiplayer and single player should be separate. I shouldn't be jacked 50% in rediness because I don't care for multiplayer. That stopped me from the "best" ending, which really isn't all that great either. The last showdown wasn't all that good either compard to ME1 or 2. This reminds me of what EA does with rushjobs. As good as Ultima 7 pt 2 was (Serpent Isle), it could have better with the last part of the game. EA does it again.

If you liked the first two games, you'll be disapointed with this. I always say that FFVII is a good half of a game before and after 'that' scene. This is a good 90% of the game. That 10% though is a big deal and was a letdown. To be fair my expectations were very high, but ME2 exceeded them.

What could have been.

Edited by Red Dragon, 09 March 2012 - 08:46 PM.

"Maribel - Dave (Hero), it's amazing that you always create your opinions independent of reason. She's not even all that attractive." - DQVII

dw6hassan.gif

#2 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,059 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

About the ending....Just gonna leave this here. The guy does a top 10 list of the reasons why the ending is terrible, and i have to agree with each one of them.

Obvious spoilers are obvious...

http://thatguywithth...ate-me3s-ending
This is actually fairly accurate to me ^^;
Posted Image

#3 Sykonee

• Metal Master

• 1,239 posts
  • Interests:Writing. Lots of writing. And some gaming. Music. Lots of music. And some clubbing. Sleeping. Lots of sleeping. And some dreaming.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

Never played any of the games. The franchise has barely been a blip on my radar.

The fallout from this ending though... utterly fascinating beyond belief. :whoa:

Sure, it's not quite SW Prequels levels of fan outcrying, but it's gotta be among the Top 10, maybe even Top 5 examples of a producer/creator completely ruining a cherished sci-fi franchise.
DRAGON WARRIOR IV NOVELIZATION

BOOK 1: The Royal Soldiers
Dragon's Den link (full); fanfiction.net link (chapters)

BOOK 2: Princess Alena's Adventure
Part 1: Awareness

Part 2: Alteration
Part 3: Acceptance

Everyone has an opinion. Mine just happens to be a little more informed than most.
(~)

#4 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,059 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

You know, as the heat against the ME3 ending is starting to die down a bit and people are starting to come up with, lets face it, really good ideas as to why the ending was confusing I think that i'll give Bioware the benefit of the doubt and say that they planed this whole "indoctrination" thing for the ending.

Although, I'm still going to blame EA for making them take out the continuation of the ending and give us something decent to end on.
Posted Image

#5 Sykonee

• Metal Master

• 1,239 posts
  • Interests:Writing. Lots of writing. And some gaming. Music. Lots of music. And some clubbing. Sleeping. Lots of sleeping. And some dreaming.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

You know, as the heat against the ME3 ending is starting to die down a bit and people are starting to come up with, lets face it, really good ideas as to why the ending was confusing I think that i'll give Bioware the benefit of the doubt and say that they planed this whole "indoctrination" thing for the ending.

Eh, the whole IT seems overly complicated, a case of finding linking clues where none really exist. Granted, I haven't played any of the games, so my understanding of the lore is only from reading the fall-out of the game's ending. However, it seems more likely the writers messed up rather than plotted an intricate "all just a dream" ending. Occam's Razor, y0.

Everyone has an opinion. Mine just happens to be a little more informed than most.
(~)

#6 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,059 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

It does sound complicated, but also plausable. One big thing that was pointed out during the ending scene in ME3 was Shepherds eyes when he picks two of the three endings. When they come across someone who is indoctrinated, they have a strange pattern in their eyes. When you pick either control or synthesis you can briefly see Shepherds eyes close enough to see that they have the same pattern as the others. Not only that, but if you choose to ignore the two that brings you to full indoctrination and decide to destroy them, it's the only one that gives the "secret" ending of Shepherd waking up.

And like i said, i respect Bioware so i want to give them the benefit of the doubt, It's EA i dont trust and will believe that
Posted Image

#7 Sykonee

• Metal Master

• 1,239 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

So that Extended Ending DLC came out today. Again, I haven't played the game, but was curious to see what this would entail (and, of course, the subsequent reactions!). Gotta admit I had to laugh at the new 'bad ending'. Almost as though they wanted to give the finger to all those who demanded a 'Refuse' option at the end.

And turns out Indoctrination Theory wasn't true after all. What a surprise. :commando:

Edited by Sykonee, 26 June 2012 - 05:49 PM.

(~)

#8 Red Dragon

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,492 posts
  • Interests:Work, family, Sports, Fishing, Hunting, The Great Outdoors

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

So that Extended Ending DLC came out today. Again, I haven't played the game, but was curious to see what this would entail (and, of course, the subsequent reactions!). Gotta admit I had to laugh at the new 'bad ending'. Almost as though they wanted to give the finger to all those who demanded a 'Refuse' option at the end.

And turns out Indoctrination Theory wasn't true after all. What a surprise. :commando:

Glad it was free. Now the endings have gone from a lite beer version of Deus Ex 3 to Deus Ex 3, at least what I saw on youtube. Still not great. I still think the decisions throughout the games should have mattered more.

I may give it another playthrough after I play MS2 again. We'll see.

"Maribel - Dave (Hero), it's amazing that you always create your opinions independent of reason. She's not even all that attractive." - DQVII

dw6hassan.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users