• 2,053 posts
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

Has anyone found any footage leaked?

#2 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,668 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4083-8325-9641
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, anime, manga, computers.
  • Tag City:Los Angeles

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

All I've found so far is the box.
http://nana.rainbowc....jp/?eid=883444
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#3 Mr. RPG

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,821 posts
  • Interests:Website Coding, Making RPGs, Playing RPGs, Gaming

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

Still puzzles me why Square-Enix chose Wii over PS3. While the Wii's install base is larger in Japan, weekly sales have proven for the past two years that PS3 outsells Wii (in Japan)

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

#4 Megalosaro

• Rhone Ranger

• 2,053 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

It's been in development longer than two years though. When they first entered development, the Wii's trajectory was ridiculous.

Plus, developing for the PS3 would have increased development costs exponentially, and it has a reputation as being a hard platform to develop on.

#5 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,145 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:I don't like DQMJ.
  • Interests:Emulation, Ranting, Retro RPGs.
  • Tag State:Georgia

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

They want to boost sales for the Wii (U) obviously.

rhjp6g.jpg

<Crolley> "Your prayers have been answered, small boy. I have punched Ivor."

<PlattyM3> "Where's my beating a dead horse GIF?" <Ryu> "I beat it to death."

<DragonsDen> Dude WTF is with your avatar?

Owner & operator of the Dragon's Den Steam group. Join us.

#6 Mr. RPG

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,821 posts
  • Interests:Website Coding, Making RPGs, Playing RPGs, Gaming

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

It's been in development longer than two years though. When they first entered development, the Wii's trajectory was ridiculous.

Plus, developing for the PS3 would have increased development costs exponentially, and it has a reputation as being a hard platform to develop on.

Something I really hate about Square-Enix is their laziness.

They have constantly bashed the PS3 in the past for being too hard to develop for (more so than any other developer I can almost assure you)

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

#7 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,145 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

I don't know, maybe it IS hard to develop for. Square-enix doesn't seem to have many games on it. Almost all their FF titles were dual-release for the PS3/360, and their other titles have been on the PSP or Wii/DS.

rhjp6g.jpg

#8 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,668 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Looks like the first test starts in Orgreede at a point where you've "cleared" the first village of Langal Village. It sounds like you can't use your skill points on anything, and you can only get to level 10. But the threads I was reading people were really seeming to enjoy the game. I think they could choose their class before they started.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#9 GrandAlchemist

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,633 posts
  • Interests:Video games, playing guitar, listening to music, anime, hating work, goofing off.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

Something I really hate about Square-Enix is their laziness.

They have constantly bashed the PS3 in the past for being too hard to develop for (more so than any other developer I can almost assure you)

I don't know, maybe it IS hard to develop for. Square-enix doesn't seem to have many games on it. Almost all their FF titles were dual-release for the PS3/360, and their other titles have been on the PSP or Wii/DS.

Sony systems have ALWAYS been harder to develop for than their contemporaries... that didn't stop companies from pumping out great game after great game for the PS2.

Still puzzles me why Square-Enix chose Wii over PS3. While the Wii's install base is larger in Japan, weekly sales have proven for the past two years that PS3 outsells Wii (in Japan)

Dragon Quest games have always gone to the largest install base. Yes, PS3 is currently outselling the Wii in Japan, but the discrepancy in install base is huge. Almost double the number of Wiis sold as opposed to PS3s.

Edited by GrandAlchemist, 24 February 2012 - 12:05 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,170 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

Any comments on the battles versus previous titles?

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#11 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,668 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

The description I read about the battles said that it was a form of realtime battle, where if you missed you took a long time figuring out what you were going to do next as soon as you choose your command a second command window would pop up. People described it as being "comforting" and not feeling rushed, which matches the description of the battle system from the official website. Sounds like they are meeting their goals.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#12 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,772 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:21 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info on this. It'll be interesting to hear more as they get more experience with the game. Sounds pretty positive so far!

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.pngDQMW_hdpi.pngfoot_dq1.pngfoot_dq2.pngfoot_dq3.pngicon.png

Jessica_sig.pngTrauminate_IMG-5.gifPuffPuffGirl_sig.png

#13 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,145 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

Let's hope it turns out to be good. :)

rhjp6g.jpg

#14 speedracer216

• Head Hunter

• 602 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm nervous. Wish I could have been in on the beta but I'm sure it's only for Japan. Should ge a LOT more info soon though if it's in that phase.

#15 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,668 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

OK. Same sources but it seems that this is phase 1.0 of the Beta Test.
Test days are/were :
2/23/2012 (Thur) 5:00-8:00
2/28/2012 (Tue) 5:00-8:00
3/1/2012 (Thur) 5:00-8:00

One person said that they played for 2 hours solo and was able to make it to Level 10 as a priest. The said that they started with Hoimi (Heal), got Kiari (Squelch), at another level they go rihoimi (Reheal), zameha (Cock-A-Doodle-Doo), and then a new spell called Zao which is a weaker version of zaoraru (Zing) at level 10. As a priest he said that he could equip a spears, staves, and a "stick" which is supposedly smaller than a wand but also sucks MP like wands did in IX. The spear requires both hands, and he couldn't equip a shield (this might only be because both hands were full).

Monsters dropped MP filling items frequently enough that MP wasn't an issue (though he doesn't remember the name of the item dropped). Treasure chests are shared after a battle with everyone getting the same thing. Like IX you can pick up things from the ground where there is a shinny light. After you've picked up something sparkling on the ground the sparkling disappears but it seems that others can still see the sparkle and pick up the item themselves. There was no visual penalty for dying until level 10. You just end up at the church you signed up at. At level 10 you start losing 10% of your money, but as usual experience isn't affected.

Multiple towns are available in the Beta so far. Crossing bridges, like in the first game, seem to indicate a fairly large increase in the level of the monsters you face.

Equipment can't be exchanged after you've worn it once, and there is a lower level limit for wearing each piece of equipment as well.

A person who played a Mage said that they start with Mera (Frizz) and then learned Hyado (Crack) and Riremito (Evac). A few seconds after casting Riremito a magic circle appears on the ground, and entering it allows you to leavev. Other people (maybe not even party members) seem to be able to then use it as well (I would assume for a limited time.)
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#16 Megalosaro

• Rhone Ranger

• 2,053 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Low level revive spell huh, sounds interesting.

#17 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,027 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4169-7228-4456
  • Interests:Cheesecake

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

So they were still enjoying it despite the inability to allocate skill points and the level 10 cap? That actually makes me very hopeful for the game.

And a weaker version of Zing? Yikes. I didn't like Zing to begin with. What is it gonna do, revive you with 1/4th max health and have a 75% chance of failure while chomping off chunks of MP? (mind, them indicated MP drops would probably remedy that). Chances are it'll get localized as Zing if it's the weakest revival spell in the game, with the original Zing becoming Zingle... or Kazing... and maybe the strongest being Kazingle... bahahahaha XP That's speculation, of course, yo.

Do like hearing that item drops will be shared. It was kinda messed up in IX when you'd have a friend over in your world and they'd take all your field items without you getting any. Blagh.

I kinda like the return of the 'bridge mechanic'. You soon knew how much pain you were in for after crossing a bridge in the first game.

And you can exchange equipment provided you haven't put it on? Sounds better than IX, where I think you couldn't exchange any equipment at all. Kinda makes it sound like the characters are scared of getting germs :P And spears taking up both hands... that reminds me of Phantasy Star Portable 2. You could have a shield equipped in that game provided you had an open hand for it (left, I think). Stuff like spears and great swords took up both hands, but you could still perform blocks with those weapons.

Was there any word on that 'cheering on' action, though? Where you can go up to people in the middle of a fight and root for them, raising their tension? I'm curious just how effective that is.

That aside, thanks for all the info, Mimas. It's awesome to be hearing about the game, even if it's just the beta :P

#18 Saigan

• Monster Masher

• 939 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Armored Core, Hiking, Camping
  • Tag City:Colorado Springs
  • Tag State:Colorado
  • Tag Zip:80911
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

Perhaps Zao can only be used outside of battle?

#19 Mimas

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,668 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

Well, we have to keep in mind that it is probably the most fervent fans who are playing the Beta test right now (the estimate seems to be about 100 people in the game the first afternoon). Not to mention that they feel lucky just to be able to play the game, and they have only had 3 hours with it so far anyways. So this might not mean much. But the general opinion seemed to be that it was Dragon Quest that just happened to be an MMO.

Yeah, I was wondering what they would call Zao here. Zi? Or maybe make it longer, Zingly? Changing Zao to Zing would be quite annoying as far as changing what is equivalent.

You need to be able to hand over equipment since you can make equipment.

It sounds like cheering also speeds up the time till your next turn. And being a Dwarf or a Puklipo seems to increase the chances of people wanting to cheer you on.

That aside, thanks for all the info, Mimas. It's awesome to be hearing about the game, even if it's just the beta :P

Thanks! Going through 2ch looking for information isn't my favorite thing, but at the momment its the only source.
正義なき力と同じように力なき正義もまた無力
Posted Image

#20 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,145 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Blaze and Icebolt. :/ Not "Frizzing an egg" or "Cracking open a window". God. DQ got so, SO pun-happy when we got the series post PSX.

Some of the "Pun"izations aren't so bad, but those two just really grind me. I'd prefer the original Japanese, kthx.

Good luck getting more info though, it's good to know that so far class progression and such goes nicely.

Edited by mhollan3, 26 February 2012 - 09:45 AM.

rhjp6g.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users