• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Red Dragon

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,492 posts
  • Interests:Work, family, Sports, Fishing, Hunting, The Great Outdoors
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

DQ5 is my favorite in the series. DQ6 isn't bad, but IMO V is the best followed by IV.

"Maribel - Dave (Hero), it's amazing that you always create your opinions independent of reason. She's not even all that attractive." - DQVII

dw6hassan.gif

#22 DJ BlackJack

• Rhone Ranger

• 2,081 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2795-3635-4895
  • Interests:DQ, weightlifting, DJing, partying here and there, school, electronics/hardware, getting inked (tattooed), Pokemon, Street Fighter, Tekken, Kid Icarus Mario, Zelda and best of all, Metroid
  • Tag City:Phoenix
  • Tag State:AZ
  • Tag Zip:85282

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

I like DQ6 more than DQ5 on the SNES, and the same applies to the DS versions.

I know the loss of the monster master class being able to get monsters was bad, but the fact that they gave you the monsters made up for it and how every monster except 1 was available for the slime arena. You also could get a liquid metal slime a lot faster in DQ6 :D. Class system was really good, same with story. DQ5 was of course great, but I just like 6 better.

I also was looking more foward to DQ6 on the DS because it was the only one of the 3 not remade. I also do like Nokturnus a lot so that probably bumped 6 up too. Nimzo was ok, but it seemed to me that Mortamor and Nokturnus were better. Although the fact that Estark was in 5 was pretty cool.

i think if ppl wanted to fight estark they woulda bought 4 as well :P. not to mention if they wanted to fight imitations of estark (well not really just secret of evolution users, psaro and Aamon)

To be fair, DQ4 Estark didn't have time to get into full power otherwise he would've been like DQV Estark.

I like V, I even think it's the best in the series. Definitely my favorite. VI's story seemed rushed in the first 20 hours and then way too vague in the next 40ish hours. That annoyed me. The story didn't rope me in like DQV's and while I did like the gameplay I actually prefer games without class systems. Heck, the only thing I felt was 'lame' about DQV was the Hero of V didn't get a level 50 skill.

yea i knew i shoulda got 5 instead of 4. estark sounds like more of a challenge. same with nimzo
I Play the evil villians in RingMan's RP. most notably My favorite character Nokturnus vvvv
Posted Image
Games to look forward to

SSB 4 (TBA)
DQM TW3D (TBA)
Pokemon B/W 2 (TBA)
Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask 3d (TBA)
Legend of Zelda (3ds/Wii U)(TBA)

Posted ImageGames currently working onPosted Image

Kid Icarus Uprising (beat Hades on 8.0 intensity)
DQM Joker 2 (350+ hours between 2 copies)
Mario Kart 7 (8000 VR Points Wifi)

#23 JessicaAlbert13

• Head Hunter

• 547 posts
  • Interests:My primary interest is Dragon Quest, of course. My youtube page and tumblr are utterly Dragon Quest devoted. Outside of the internet I enjoy reading, writing, studying, swimming, and animals.
  • Tag City:Dallas
  • Tag State:Texas

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Dragon Quest V. I use to be a huge Bianca fan then I married Debora and well... fell in love. Debora all the way now! Also loved the story of V and the characters. Interesting how DQ V is the only game in the series to go through generations. Especially love the fact your kids join you.

imp.png

Check out JessicaAlbert13's Tumblr!

http://jessicaalbert13.tumblr.com/

#24 Moonbrooke

• Dungeon Dweller

• 40 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, RPGs in general, video game music, anime, figure collecting, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. You know, the finer things in life!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Dragon Quest V. I use to be a huge Bianca fan then I married Debora and well... fell in love. Debora all the way now! Also loved the story of V and the characters. Interesting how DQ V is the only game in the series to go through generations. Especially love the fact your kids join you.

Hah! I hear you! Debora is just... amazing. If you ask me, the hero of V should be used to being bossed around, so Deb's a perfect match for him! ;)

#25 Stepchan

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,099 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Anime, Nirvana and song parodies.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

I like both for different reasons, so I can't really decide on one.

Team assemble!!!

Marisa-1.pngWoolen.pngStephen.pngDoropie.png

____ Marisa ________ Woolen ___ Stephen ____ Doropie ___

The future is in the past. Onwards Aoshima!

The Sylveons with the ribbons all say... Ay oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh... Walk like a Lilligant...

Man, boy! You down for the count now! DJ Boy, what you think you doin'?

#26 Yuuyuukun

• Slime Slayer

• 20 posts
  • Interests:Language, music and other stuff.
  • Tag City:Osaka
  • Tag State:Osaka
  • Tag Country:Japan

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

I don't know really, I guess DQ6. lol

#27 Cesar Hernandez-Meraz

• Shard-hearted Savior

• 5,623 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4942-6534-8036
  • Interests:Marvel Comics

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

If you ask me, the hero of V should be used to being bossed around, so Deb's a perfect match for him!

I think something like that must have been on Horii-sama's mind when designing Deborah's character.

Posted Image
I am the Icecypher!
DQM-J2: 4942-6534-8036

Blog @ Blogspot
An it harm none, do what thou wilt.
Gallery @ LiveJournal || Gallery @ deviantART
The Pathfinder will show the Way.

Play-Asia!

The David Cabello Blog.
Read it now in Spanish.

#28 Varin

• Monster Masher

• 775 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

Instead of 5 where , for example, you want to use your wife Nera in battle and you're not a fan of mages, you can't do anything about it. But in 6, whichever party member you want to use, you can make them have pretty good stats and abilities.

Some people (myself included) prefer it that way. You have to consider your line up more carefully, and it gives you a genuine reason to use certain characters.

That said, VI's class system was a nice compromise, since characters were clearly better suited to certain roles.

Anyway, I love both games and you can't make me choose between them. You can't!

#29 Destructor526

• Head Hunter

• 613 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4728-1907-3933
  • Tag City:NYC
  • Tag State:NY

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

Instead of 5 where , for example, you want to use your wife Nera in battle and you're not a fan of mages, you can't do anything about it. But in 6, whichever party member you want to use, you can make them have pretty good stats and abilities.

Some people (myself included) prefer it that way. You have to consider your line up more carefully, and it gives you a genuine reason to use certain characters.

That said, VI's class system was a nice compromise, since characters were clearly better suited to certain roles.

Anyway, I love both games and you can't make me choose between them. You can't!

But thou must :).

#30 LeviathanChiken

• Slime Slayer

• 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

i like DQ5 and 7, with regards to 5 i saw the name debora and debora was a girl, it got me thinking of debora from Majun buu series from DBZ.

#31 Kirby Slime

• Avid Alchemist

• 120 posts
  • Interests:rolling ma balls

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

It's hard to say, I like the story in DQV more, but I like the world in DQVI, if that kind of make sense. just how every town had problems which you could help with in DQVI was so good and how you had to take advantage of both worlds to fix them, made the world feel alive, which DQVII took the idea of DQVI to a whole new level(Which is my fav DQ game)

Edited by Kirby Slime, 19 February 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#32 Kitsune Hawk

• Monster Masher

• 836 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:1378-0189-6422
  • Interests:Anything RPG, Dragon Quest, Mythology, Game Designing, Japanese History, RPG Maker XP, Video Game Music, Dynasty/Samurai Warriors
  • Tag State:Georgia
  • Tag Country:United States

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

I love every game in the classic series, and while VI stuck closer to the original DQ formula, I found V to be as fun as it was original.
Plus, the characters in V really got my emotions more. I can't tell you how many times just the sight of Ladja stirred up anger in me, or being amused with Sancho's dialogue.
That, and I think V has Sugiyama-san's best compositions. Period.

Chiyome.pngCheck out my Youtube Channel Here

#33 Stepchan

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,099 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Anime, Nirvana and song parodies.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Definitely agree on 5's music. ^

Team assemble!!!

Marisa-1.pngWoolen.pngStephen.pngDoropie.png

____ Marisa ________ Woolen ___ Stephen ____ Doropie ___

The future is in the past. Onwards Aoshima!

The Sylveons with the ribbons all say... Ay oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh... Walk like a Lilligant...

Man, boy! You down for the count now! DJ Boy, what you think you doin'?

#34 Mr. RPG

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,821 posts
  • Interests:Website Coding, Making RPGs, Playing RPGs, Gaming

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

DQ6 easily, but DQ5 is still an amazing game.

That is how my top 4 looks like.

Edited by Mr. RPG, 20 February 2012 - 02:21 PM.

Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

#35 Jamiras

• Avid Alchemist

• 189 posts
  • Interests:RPG games

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Dragon Quest V is my favourite game in the series.
Posted Image

#36 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,054 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

DQ V has the better localization. No repetitive party chat there.

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#37 The Mystical One

• Monster Masher

• 966 posts
  • Tag City:Pittsburgh
  • Tag State:PA
  • Tag Zip:16055
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:40 PM

I prefer V's story and dialogue much better, but I think I prefer the gameplay of VI.

#38 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,011 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4169-7228-4456
  • Interests:Cheesecake

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed both titles, but I think I might view V as the better of the two. The remake had a bunch of new stuff in it compared to the original, where it almost seemed like they took away from VI. Barring the updated graphics and party chat, it feels like VI is pretty much the same as it originally was, only with the taming mechanic removed and the monster roster changed. Don't get me wrong: I much rather prefer little side-quests over hours of battles for the RNG to not be a jerk, but I didn't like how they removed practically all of the old monster recruits and replaced them with slimes. Slimes are nice and all, but it was a real letdown when I found out I couldn't have an overkilling machine as a party member in the remake. Gustbluster, too.

And as much as I love making my team overpowered through VI's class mechanic, I think as a result it causes me to get bored with the game when I put myself in a bout of grinding. That problem isn't really there in V, just the standard grinding needed to not get maimed in future battles.

I also think V was more creative when it came to bosses resembling normal monsters. VI kinda lazied out there and just used palette swaps, but V would actually change some things around, like how the Chimaera Pawn has a mohawk and the Prince of Thieves has that big ol' fancy axe. I enjoy changes like those, yo.

Both fantastic games, of course. Even while it feels like V is better, VI is still pretty darn good, especially since I was willing to play through the start again, and I HATE fighting Murdaw.

#39 geminate

• Savvy Seafarer

• 77 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3053-0430-4740
  • Tag City:Vancouver
  • Tag State:WA
  • Tag Zip:98662
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

I was very disappointed with the wife element of 5.

I was very impressed with 6 :)

I need to play both again though. I'm currently trying to grind through 7. It's the only DQ I haven't beat and is my least favorite.

#40 jamiras843

• Metal Master

• 1,116 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

I Liked the SNES VI beteer than SNES V because V didn't feel like a DQ game. The sprites were all different, you were confined to the town at the begining, could only have 3 party members... It just felt awkward. VI looked and felt like the classic DQ formula for me.

Then the DS remakes came along, and now V has won out. I loved how despite all the tragedies the hero rises up and kicks tail. It also had the sprites similar to the NES days much like the remake of IV, and VI. I love V! Haven't beaten V - IX though... Guess I'm slacking. I beat the bosses but my sister would play the stories and grind and I would just fight for her.
space for rent, inquire within.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users