Do you like DQ5 or DQ6 DS better?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Knight

• Avid Alchemist

• 237 posts
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

For the DS remakes I played 5 first, then 6 and at first I liked 5 a lot better than 6 because 5 has all those monsters you can recruit, plus the Pachisi Boards. I found 6 a bit confusing with having to switch back and forth between each world, and you werent always able to transport to the same town in each world even though that town was in both.

However one part I really enjoyed about DQ6 was the classes. I thought it was so cool being able to change character classes like that and make an unstoppable army. I had 3 Dragons at the end of the game. I know this feature is in a few other DQ games but 6 appears to be the one that started it.

DQ6 did have a few monsters you could recruit, but since they forced you to keep most of the humans in your party I only had Healie and Lizzy at the end of the game, but both were very helpful to the party against the last bosses, especially when you put the Duplic Hat on Healie. I also liked the monster tournament in DQ6, I used Metal Slime Knight to win them all.

Anyway now its hard for me to pick which one I like better. At first glance I figured I would never play 6 again, but now I know I will some day soon because of the classes. I love how there was just so many choices, and next time I play I will make sure I do the Metal Babble class.

Edited by Shadow Knight, 04 February 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#2 Madason

• Sword Slinger

• 313 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3396-6979-7759
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Fairy Tail, and more!
  • Tag City:Turlock
  • Tag State:Califonia
  • Tag Country:America

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

I like them both. DQ6 was my first DQ game however so its my favorite.

dd_bar_011.png

#3 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts
  • Tag City:Chester (Morristown)
  • Tag State:New Jersey
  • Tag Zip:07930
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

I guess it kinda depends how different you want the game to feel.

Both have replay value, but 5 can be a radically different experience everytime, between the monsters and the three wives.

The classes in 6 cause the differences to be much more subtle, but different enough to present a challenge.
Teachers, assigning a ton of homework doesn't teach us more, it just means you suck too much to teach it yourselves

In charge of "War of Heaven and Hell: Nokturn's Zenith" A DQ 4-6 RP

I'm a Brony and damn proud of it.

Stop them from ruining a fan favorite.
http://www.savederpy.com/

#4 Shadow Knight

• Avid Alchemist

• 237 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yeah they both have great replay value. Next time I play 5 I will choose a different wife to see what happens.

Also 6 does have a cool part towards the end where you choose what kind of town Weaver Peak should be. It can consist of characters from previous games, I went with DQ4 and liked how all of the DQ4 DS cast was in the town, including the characters you could not control in that game like Healie. So next time I play DQ6 on DS I will choose a different version of that town, and also do more with the classes and that best dressed contest.

I still like DQ4 on DS a lot as well even though its replay value is not like these games with the different outcomes. I just love having that wagon in these games with all of these characters earning EXP.

Edited by Shadow Knight, 04 February 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#5 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts
  • Tag City:Chester (Morristown)
  • Tag State:New Jersey
  • Tag Zip:07930
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

My biggest gripe with 4 DS was the fact that they didn't keep the party chat. None of the characters had any personality after they joined you, so it wasn't like 5 and 6 where you could get some depth from the characters as events happened.

That said, I did like that you could control the characters, since now Kiryl actually had a use
Teachers, assigning a ton of homework doesn't teach us more, it just means you suck too much to teach it yourselves

In charge of "War of Heaven and Hell: Nokturn's Zenith" A DQ 4-6 RP

I'm a Brony and damn proud of it.

Stop them from ruining a fan favorite.
http://www.savederpy.com/

#6 Zenith Dragon

• Monster Masher

• 962 posts
  • Interests:Dragon quest, any other RPG, nintendo, Yoshi, this website

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

I like 6. Even the hero from 6 is pretty darn awesome
Posted Image

#7 Kalmana

• Metal Master

• 1,053 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

I perfer 5. I loved the story, simple as that.

The story is the reason why i bought the JPN DQ5 SNES version, DS version & i'm probably going to buy the PS2 version if it when i get a bit more money.
This is actually fairly accurate to me ^^;
Posted Image

#8 MetroidXPS

• Rhone Ranger

• 2,032 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

Actually, the class system started with Dragon Quest 3. But yeah, DQ6 expanded on it, and even allowed monsters to change class(and even has 2 monster classes). Dragon (Warrior)Quest 7 added a lot more monster classes, but most of that seemed like extras to me, lot of the same skills in the human classes as in them. I never got to master all the monsters classes, as mastering all the human ones was enough.

Having monsters and class changes really add a lot to the game, especially if you like to grind. The best part is, you DON'T have to grind in order to beat the game. The extra grinding is just that, extra. So you can chose whether to grind a lot to master everything, or just pick and chose what you want to finish the game with. It gives the games a bit of customized playing. You could play the game differently the next play through. Like in Dragon Quest 8 I started out as everyone using fistcuff, which was a lot of fun because it was a different experience.

But I'm getting far off track here, aren't I? xd. To sum it up, I like both 5 and 6 for different reasons. I like every Dragon Quest for different reasons. To ask me to chose which is better, I wouldn't be able to chose.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 RPG Wizard

• Metal Master

• 1,007 posts
  • Tag City:NYC

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:05 AM

As far as DQ5 vs DQ6 goes? Hrm. Good question. I think I may be a little more partial to 5, but I think 6 is pretty darn good.

As far as DQ5 DS vs DQ6 DS goes? DQ6 DS, no question. I feel that DQ5 DS didn't add anything particularly significant that didn't already exist in the previous remake. (A point for Debora, I suppose, but ehh...we didn't gain much with her addition.) DQ6 completely changed up the monster system, and as a result added a few more areas and changed up the class system as well.

#10 Zenith Dragon

• Monster Masher

• 962 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

Even the whole atmosphere of DQ6. You can tell that you were playing a much more badass game
Posted Image

#11 ryangroovy

• Sword Slinger

• 403 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4642-2647-9566
  • Interests:IT BURNS!!!!!!!!
  • Tag City:North Little Rock
  • Tag State:Arkansas
  • Tag Country:North America

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

They are both good. DQ6 was longer, but DQ5 was harder. I think I prefer DQ6, although I love "hard" games.

Insanity__by_PhantomSunsSong.png

Rom Hacker and Indie Game Dev.

Projects:

Pokémon: Comedy Edition

DQIII Text Adventure (Complete)

Pokémon Fire Red Easytype (On hiatus)

#12 cprmauldin

• Savvy Seafarer

• 88 posts
  • Tag City:Sacramento
  • Tag State:CA
  • Tag Zip:95661

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

Very close to finishing V, close enough to have an opinion on the matter.

I prefer VI. Class options are huge for me as an RPG gamer and make the game feel so much more personal.

#13 DJ BlackJack

• Rhone Ranger

• 2,081 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2795-3635-4895
  • Interests:DQ, weightlifting, DJing, partying here and there, school, electronics/hardware, getting inked (tattooed), Pokemon, Street Fighter, Tekken, Kid Icarus Mario, Zelda and best of all, Metroid
  • Tag City:Phoenix
  • Tag State:AZ
  • Tag Zip:85282

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

i havent played 5 for the ds yet. its a hard one to get a hold of. i knew i shoulda got 5 before 4 at frys electronics becuase i cant find it anywhere..........at least gamestop still has 4.....
I Play the evil villians in RingMan's RP. most notably My favorite character Nokturnus vvvv
Posted Image
Games to look forward to

SSB 4 (TBA)
DQM TW3D (TBA)
Pokemon B/W 2 (TBA)
Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask 3d (TBA)
Legend of Zelda (3ds/Wii U)(TBA)

Posted ImageGames currently working onPosted Image

Kid Icarus Uprising (beat Hades on 8.0 intensity)
DQM Joker 2 (350+ hours between 2 copies)
Mario Kart 7 (8000 VR Points Wifi)

#14 Zenith Dragon

• Monster Masher

• 962 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

5 is a great game. There's always ebay if nothing else works.
Posted Image

#15 GrandAlchemist

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,631 posts
  • Interests:Video games, playing guitar, listening to music, anime, hating work, goofing off.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

DQ5 > DQ6

5 felt like there was a lot more to do and the story was better. I preferred the character designs in 6 and the class system... but as a whole the game didn't quite feel like it came together right.

Posted Image

#16 Destructor526

• Head Hunter

• 613 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4728-1907-3933
  • Tag City:NYC
  • Tag State:NY

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:04 AM

I like DQ6 more than DQ5 on the SNES, and the same applies to the DS versions.

I know the loss of the monster master class being able to get monsters was bad, but the fact that they gave you the monsters made up for it and how every monster except 1 was available for the slime arena. You also could get a liquid metal slime a lot faster in DQ6 :D. Class system was really good, same with story. DQ5 was of course great, but I just like 6 better.

I also was looking more foward to DQ6 on the DS because it was the only one of the 3 not remade. I also do like Nokturnus a lot so that probably bumped 6 up too. Nimzo was ok, but it seemed to me that Mortamor and Nokturnus were better. Although the fact that Estark was in 5 was pretty cool.

#17 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 3,713 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:I don't like DQMJ.
  • Interests:Emulation, Ranting, Retro RPGs.
  • Tag State:Georgia

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

DQ5 is better than 6. Longer, better minigames, better everything, really.

You truely rise from a young man to a ruling wanderer. With choice of wives.

rhjp6g.jpg

<Crolley> "Your prayers have been answered, small boy. I have punched Ivor."

<PlattyM3> "Where's my beating a dead horse GIF?" <Ryu> "I beat it to death."

Gimme a dollar. https://www.paypal.c...d=LU8YNZBRZRS4C

Join me in telling Nintendo we want Dragon Quest 7, 10, and whatever else! www.operationedenverse.com

Owner & operator of the Dragon's Den Steam group. Join us.

#18 DJ BlackJack

• Rhone Ranger

• 2,081 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2795-3635-4895
  • Interests:DQ, weightlifting, DJing, partying here and there, school, electronics/hardware, getting inked (tattooed), Pokemon, Street Fighter, Tekken, Kid Icarus Mario, Zelda and best of all, Metroid
  • Tag City:Phoenix
  • Tag State:AZ
  • Tag Zip:85282

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

I know the loss of the monster master class being able to get monsters was bad, but the fact that they gave you the monsters made up for it and how every monster except 1 was available for the slime arena. You also could get a liquid metal slime a lot faster in DQ6 :D. Class system was really good, same with story. DQ5 was of course great, but I just like 6 better.

I also was looking more foward to DQ6 on the DS because it was the only one of the 3 not remade. I also do like Nokturnus a lot so that probably bumped 6 up too. Nimzo was ok, but it seemed to me that Mortamor and Nokturnus were better. Although the fact that Estark was in 5 was pretty cool.

i think if ppl wanted to fight estark they woulda bought 4 as well :P. not to mention if they wanted to fight imitations of estark (well not really just secret of evolution users, psaro and Aamon)
I Play the evil villians in RingMan's RP. most notably My favorite character Nokturnus vvvv
Posted Image
Games to look forward to

SSB 4 (TBA)
DQM TW3D (TBA)
Pokemon B/W 2 (TBA)
Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask 3d (TBA)
Legend of Zelda (3ds/Wii U)(TBA)

Posted ImageGames currently working onPosted Image

Kid Icarus Uprising (beat Hades on 8.0 intensity)
DQM Joker 2 (350+ hours between 2 copies)
Mario Kart 7 (8000 VR Points Wifi)

#19 Zenith Dragon

• Monster Masher

• 962 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

I also like how 6 was harder. You can tell that the field fights were a lot harder. I was reading an interview with Yuji Horii in my nintendo power and he said that he made the battles a lot harder since you can change your class and get some pretty hybrid characters that can dish out tons of damage and heal at the same time. which is pretty cool. It was fun customizing your characters to be who YOU want and have the abilities that YOU want. Instead of 5 where , for example, you want to use your wife Nera in battle and you're not a fan of mages, you can't do anything about it. But in 6, whichever party member you want to use, you can make them have pretty good stats and abilities.
Posted Image

#20 felixrush

• Head Hunter

• 651 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

i think if ppl wanted to fight estark they woulda bought 4 as well :P. not to mention if they wanted to fight imitations of estark (well not really just secret of evolution users, psaro and Aamon)

To be fair, DQ4 Estark didn't have time to get into full power otherwise he would've been like DQV Estark.

I like V, I even think it's the best in the series. Definitely my favorite. VI's story seemed rushed in the first 20 hours and then way too vague in the next 40ish hours. That annoyed me. The story didn't rope me in like DQV's and while I did like the gameplay I actually prefer games without class systems. Heck, the only thing I felt was 'lame' about DQV was the Hero of V didn't get a level 50 skill.
Find me at: IRC server Foonetic, channel name: #Gametalk.

"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road -- neither human, nor devil... All bends to my will."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users