• 941 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Armored Core, Hiking, Camping
  • Tag City:Colorado Springs
  • Tag State:Colorado
  • Tag Zip:80911
  • Tag Country:USA
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

And I am absolutely terrible at it! The only games I've won so far were on the tutorial board! Does anyone have any tips?

#2 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,830 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Honestly, the best and most concise advice I can give you is to put it in "Out to Lunch" mode for a while and watch what your guy does. Study his behavior for a bit and you will see a bit more about how this game should be played.

Sorry if that answer seems like a bit of a cop-out. I am sure others will have time for a more elaborate answer though if this one wasn't to your liking.

Jessica_Clean_Sig.png   Bianca_Clean_Sig.png                Yangus_Clean_Sig.pngMarquis_De_Leon_Clean_Sig.png

#3 Algrado

• Dungeon Dweller

• 40 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:This--->2237-0517-1209<---is mine (^_^)
  • Interests:Drawing/making comics, Eurobeat and other electronic music genres, Science, RPG videogames, and more

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

someone asked something like this already so I will just repost my original post. Also, it applies to standard mode, so I'm not sure if you're playing standard or easy mode, standard has the stocks. Well anyways, here's my post of tips, maybe I should make it a thread...?

"it sounds like you're doing it right? I mean, investing in whatever you own generally makes you the beneficiary. The only thing you could be doing wrong is that you're not investing money into the smallest shop thereby causing your shops to be bought out easily.

For example, say you have 3 shops in district F, one is worth only 40 gold, another is 194 gold, and the last one is 300 gold. You should invest in the one that's 40 gold, so that would prevent computers from trying to buy it out, after that invest in the next cheapest one and so on(it's best to invest when you have at least 190-200+ stocks in a district).

Other "advanced" though usually unnecessary techniques involves buying stocks in the computers/or other players' districts to benefit from their investments or when players land on their spaces, you're basically leeching off of them( the computers probably do this to you?), and if they get ahead of you, you can sell 10 stocks at the beginning of each of your turns to make the computer player lose a lot of net worth if they have a lot of stocks in whatever district you sell 10 at a time in. The reason this is usually not done is because the game is so hectic you usually can't afford to be wasting time buying stocks in another district just to lower a computer's net worth.

Another tactic is when you're about to win, you sell all your stock to prevent the computer/other players from dropping your networth(by selling stocks in whatever you have a lot of stock in) at the end of each turn, and then just get to the bank asap.

Hmm...other than that, I think it's really the location of your shops that makes the difference. For example, on the colossus board, if you take over the shops right next to the bank, you generally win the game. I took over those shops and made them all over 1.5k each one was in the 4000s I think?, and the computers lost loads, I won by a landslide.

You want to be buying shops in areas where everyone is forced to go, some places are better than others. Like in mario circuit, you should buy the shops in the north because that's where there's 2 symbols(so even someone with a card to get any symbol would still have to go up there because they will be missing one of those 2 symbols).

Another thing I noticed, sometimes computers are actually willing to sell shops to you at a cheaper price than if you land on it and try to buy it out, if you're planning on taking over a district(like the one I described), and the computer has only 1 shop there and nobody else does, you should try this tactic(because the more shops you have in a district, the more difficult and expensive the computer would make it for you to buy it directly from them).

Good luck! :overjoyed2:"

easy is slightly different, if you're playing that I could provide help on that.

Edited by Algrado, 13 January 2012 - 09:58 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 4,174 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:I don't like DQMJ.
  • Interests:Emulation, Ranting, Retro RPGs.
  • Tag State:Georgia

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

What Dwaine said. The computers cheat. Just play with people.

rhjp6g.jpg

<Crolley> "Your prayers have been answered, small boy. I have punched Ivor."

<PlattyM3> "Where's my beating a dead horse GIF?" <Ryu> "I beat it to death."

<DragonsDen> Dude WTF is with your avatar?

Owner & operator of the Dragon's Den Steam group. Join us.

#5 Saigan

• Monster Masher

• 941 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

I am playing on standard yes :) I think I'll try buying shops from computer opponents earlier in the game, that tip sounds like a lot of help. The other advice is really good too but I didn't consider the former one at all. Thanks guys, any further tips are appreciated.

#6 DJ BlackJack

• Rhone Ranger

• 2,081 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2795-3635-4895
  • Interests:DQ, weightlifting, DJing, partying here and there, school, electronics/hardware, getting inked (tattooed), Pokemon, Street Fighter, Tekken, Kid Icarus Mario, Zelda and best of all, Metroid
  • Tag City:Phoenix
  • Tag State:AZ
  • Tag Zip:85282

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

congrats!!

dont forget to take a pic and show proof. you could win your first badge :D
I Play the evil villians in RingMan's RP. most notably My favorite character Nokturnus vvvv
Posted Image
Games to look forward to

SSB 4 (TBA)
DQM TW3D (TBA)
Pokemon B/W 2 (TBA)
Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask 3d (TBA)
Legend of Zelda (3ds/Wii U)(TBA)

Posted ImageGames currently working onPosted Image

Kid Icarus Uprising (beat Hades on 8.0 intensity)
DQM Joker 2 (350+ hours between 2 copies)
Mario Kart 7 (8000 VR Points Wifi)

#7 Saigan

• Monster Masher

• 941 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

congrats!!

dont forget to take a pic and show proof. you could win your first badge :D

I threw away the receipt already :'(

#8 Woodus

• Admin
  • Dragon Warrior

• 13,036 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4856-9117-4181
  • Interests:Dragon Warrior, Games, RPGs, RTSs, Golfing, Boating, Web Design ...
  • Tag City:Ankeny
  • Tag State:Iowa
  • Tag Zip:50021

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

You don't need the receipt, just the game and a piece of paper with your name written on it in the shot.

woodus_bar.png skbar1.png
firefox_bar.png linkdir_bar.png
amazon_bar.png astore_bar.png
dq8_talk3.gif ice_on_grass_2x.gif dq73ds_loading_slime.gif

#9 Ring Man

• Avid Alchemist

• 242 posts
  • Tag City:Chester (Morristown)
  • Tag State:New Jersey
  • Tag Zip:07930

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

One thing I find kinda helps is to try and gain a piece of every district rather than focus solely on one

I've experimented myself, and I have better luck when my strategy is say control two shops in 4 districts instead of fully control 2 districts. Since the games drag on, having more opportunities to get small amounts works better than waiting for the (rigged) die to land an opponent in one district

Also, try to get stocks in every district you can, even if nothing's owned there yet. It helps if you can take commissions on everything, and helps you keep up even if your opponents build colossal shops.
Teachers, assigning a ton of homework doesn't teach us more, it just means you suck too much to teach it yourselves

In charge of "War of Heaven and Hell: Nokturn's Zenith" A DQ 4-6 RP

I'm a Brony and damn proud of it.

Stop them from ruining a fan favorite.
http://www.savederpy.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users