My Opinion

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Monster Master Terry

• Slime Slayer

• 18 posts
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:26 PM

I don't like the idea of a Dragon Quest Mmorpg. It sounds horrible. I wish they would make new Dragon Quest games that are like the old ones. With a storyline a big world to explore, and doing it by yourself or with characters you pick out yourself. But I will play the mmorpg, because it's there and I guess I'm a little psyched about it.
Posted Image

#2 Zenith Dragon

• Monster Masher

• 962 posts
  • Interests:Dragon quest, any other RPG, nintendo, Yoshi, this website

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

i think the mmorpg idea is a fine idea. How will you know you dont like it if you dont try it?
Posted Image

#3 Destructor526

• Head Hunter

• 613 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4728-1907-3933
  • Tag City:NYC
  • Tag State:NY

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

Final Fantasy 11 was a good MMORPG from what I've heard. So was World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic will probably be fine since Bioware is a good developer. That doesn't mean I play them. I would not play them enough to justify $15 a month on them and I'm sure that's what most people do.

I recently finished downloading DC Universe on my PS3 since it's free-to-play but I don't have high hopes for it. The fact that it's free is the only reason I'm playing and most free-to-plays require you to spend money to be considered relevant in the game.

Just because Call of Duty is considered a good shooter doesn't mean everyone should play it. If you don't like shooters, you don't like shooters. I don't like the concept of MMORPGs so I am undecided on the game. It's not like there will be a demo, so it's either basing it on reviews or what other people say. I will sometimes buy a game based on the name like Metal Gear because I know Kojima does great work, and so does Yuji Horii, but a concept I'm not really used to trying is definitely not going to be an impulse buy simply because it has the words Dragon Quest on it.

Edited by Destructor526, 08 November 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#4 Spikan

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,951 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4255-6430-7375
  • Interests:Drawing, Gaming, Dragon Quest, Blue Dragon, Anime, Drawing, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Skies of Arcadia, RPG Maker VX, Dragon Ball series
  • Tag City:Hillsborough
  • Tag State:North Carolina
  • Tag Country:United States

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

Well, I'm in my IRC so I'll just make this quick, lemme see...
How do you know it'll be as different as you think, all we have is a few minutes of footage and some screens, there's still time to change it around, you can still do it with characters you pick out yourself, you can also play it by yourslef, yada yada blah blah blah.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Monster Master Terry

• Slime Slayer

• 18 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Yeah, that's true. Like I said I'm still a little psyched about it. It does sound cool. So I'll give it a try and see what my opinion is then. Even though it's going to be quite awhile before it comes out in America.
Posted Image

#6 Winter

• Sword Slinger

• 450 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

It's a main Dragon Quest game so I'm sold.

#7 Thany

• Dungeon Dweller

• 30 posts
  • Tag City:Scranton
  • Tag State:PA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

It's still going to have a huge world to explore and lots of interesting characters to meet. Just because its online doesn't mean it will have a poor story. That is a misconception.

I'm glad they're doing this, after the success of multiplayer in IX. It seems like the next natural step. If it was just like VIII it'd be that, another VIII. I think VIII is an awesome game. But I think it's great that they are moving forward and trying this.

That said, I would've been fine if they named this just "Dragon Quest Online" and also made Dragon Quest X as an offline game. That would've been fine in my book. I feel like though, the fact that they combined the names means that this game will in the end, satisfy single player and multiplayer fans.

#8 Destructor526

• Head Hunter

• 613 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

It's still going to have a huge world to explore and lots of interesting characters to meet. Just because its online doesn't mean it will have a poor story. That is a misconception.

I'm glad they're doing this, after the success of multiplayer in IX. It seems like the next natural step. If it was just like VIII it'd be that, another VIII. I think VIII is an awesome game. But I think it's great that they are moving forward and trying this.

That said, I would've been fine if they named this just "Dragon Quest Online" and also made Dragon Quest X as an offline game. That would've been fine in my book. I feel like though, the fact that they combined the names means that this game will in the end, satisfy single player and multiplayer fans.

I think the bigger problem people have is that they don't want to spend around $120 - $150 a year to play this game, not counting the cost of buying the game which could be total over $170.

You are correct in that they should have called it DQ Online just like Final Fantasy 11 should have been FF Online or something like that. I think when a game deviates too much from it's roots, it should be it's own game. I understand they want people to think that this is the next DQ game, but when the price of the game goes from $50 to $50 plus a monthly fee, the game is way too different from the other games.

Of course, it all depends on the offline. Most MMORPG's don't even have an offline but if it has a good one, it's probably worth $50.

And by the way, I think DQ8 was far better than DQ9 (DQ8 is one of my favorite DQ games). I wished they made it more like DQ8 over DQ9 but alas that is not the case.

Referring to 10's story, it can be good, but I did not like DQ9's story at all. I was perplexed as to why they would want to continue that story.

#9 Quart20858

• Avid Alchemist

• 128 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3310-7273-3543
  • Interests:DS
    Minecraft
    The Legend of Zelda
    Monster Hunter
    Dragon Quest
    Pokémon
    RPGs
  • Tag City:Cleveland Heights
  • Tag State:Ohio
  • Tag Zip:44118
  • Tag Country:United States of America

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

i really think all will like DQX because it sounds like there will be tons of content, that is why i love DQIX

#10 Madason

• Sword Slinger

• 313 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3396-6979-7759
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z, Fairy Tail, and more!
  • Tag City:Turlock
  • Tag State:Califonia
  • Tag Country:America

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

so DQX is like DQIX with DLC?

Edited by NeohopeSTF, 10 November 2011 - 11:16 PM.

dd_bar_011.png

#11 Walf

• Slime Slayer

• 3 posts
  • Tag City:Rabat
  • Tag State:Maroc
  • Tag Zip:10000

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:37 AM

No the Gamplay are different, this is a MMORPG, we fight in the real time. I hate this idea and we must pay to play it for the WIFI. The rest are a game of exploration.

But this is only my view.

Edited by Walf, 12 November 2011 - 04:40 AM.

#12 Thany

• Dungeon Dweller

• 30 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:55 PM

Is this continuing IX's story? I thought it was something else altogether.

VIII was more story-focused than IX. For me, IX reminded me a lot of III and that was my favorite NES game. But I understand that a more linear game can tell a more concise story.

#13 Red Dragon

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,503 posts
  • Interests:Work, family, Sports, Fishing, Hunting, The Great Outdoors

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

I don't have a Wii, but family members who are DQ players do. I'm probably going to skip this one. If this is an online based RPG, I'm skipping it. I don't pay for games by the month. I'm not an online game player to begin with. As a weekend warrior, I don't have the time to compete with those who live in mom's basement and play games 10 hours a day and 7 days a week all the time. Outside of the mom's basement part that would get me one thing. Divorced - and my wife likes DQ games.

Outside of that first 5 hour stint or so with the initial play-through, I'd play about maybe 10 hours a month at most if I LIKED it AND was able to borrow a Wii, and that's not worth $15 a month plus $50 initial cost.

Edited by Red Dragon, 20 November 2011 - 07:05 PM.

"Maribel - Dave (Hero), it's amazing that you always create your opinions independent of reason. She's not even all that attractive." - DQVII

dw6hassan.gif

#14 Thany

• Dungeon Dweller

• 30 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

As a weekend warrior, I don't have the time to compete with those who live in mom's basement and play games 10 hours a day and 7 days a week all the time.

I'm not sure why you feel you'd be competing with other players online. Having access to high level players shouldn't be a bad thing - many would likely help lower level players out. I can't tell you how many times I logged into FFXI and saw someone in my linkshell community say "hey i'm bored, anyone need help with anything?"

Anyway, that said, if you don't think you'd play it more than 10 hours a month, then its not worth a monthly fee. So, not worth getting the game, yes. I just don't get the competition thing. There likely isn't PVP in the game.

#15 FranckyFox

• Savvy Seafarer

• 83 posts
  • Interests:Slime and Beast family
  • Tag City:Quebec
  • Tag State:Canada

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

I personnaly don't like MMORPG, but due its DQ.... :lrsmile:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I wonder if Dracolord is happy of being scouted >>
Posted Image

#16 Zenith Dragon

• Monster Masher

• 962 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

so is it actually confirmed that there will be a monthly fee?
Posted Image

#17 Quart20858

• Avid Alchemist

• 128 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3310-7273-3543
  • Interests:DS
    Minecraft
    The Legend of Zelda
    Monster Hunter
    Dragon Quest
    Pokémon
    RPGs
  • Tag City:Cleveland Heights
  • Tag State:Ohio
  • Tag Zip:44118
  • Tag Country:United States of America

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

for japan i think but it hasnt even been announced in NA, hopefully they will pull a Monster Hunter Tri

#18 Zenith Dragon

• Monster Masher

• 962 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

for japan i think but it hasnt even been announced in NA, hopefully they will pull a Monster Hunter Tri

hopefully
Posted Image

#19 FranckyFox

• Savvy Seafarer

• 83 posts
  • Interests:Slime and Beast family
  • Tag City:Quebec
  • Tag State:Canada

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

hopefully

Does that mean DQX maybe won't release in USA?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I wonder if Dracolord is happy of being scouted >>
Posted Image

#20 Destructor526

• Head Hunter

• 613 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

I personnaly don't like MMORPG, but due its DQ.... :lrsmile:

Would you buy a Dragon Quest game if it was a first-person-shooter? If it's not your type of game, you don't have to buy it. Like if they made a DQ music game. Sure it might be good, but if you're not a fan of games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band, probably wouldn't like that one either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users