Photo

DQ VI: "the naming god has forbidden that name!"

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 jvboytheman

• Metal Master

• 1,155 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, RPGs/MMOs, Biology, Medicine, Hot Girls, Football and Basketball.
  • Tag Country:Philippines
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

^
I agree. There should be freedom in naming!

Well of course though, you gotta be reasonable and sensible in giving names, i guess :P

It's not who I am underneath..

..But what I do, that defines me.

#22 JessicaAlbert13

• Head Hunter

• 547 posts
  • Interests:My primary interest is Dragon Quest, of course. My youtube page and tumblr are utterly Dragon Quest devoted. Outside of the internet I enjoy reading, writing, studying, swimming, and animals.
  • Tag City:Dallas
  • Tag State:Texas

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

THE NAMING GOD HAS SPOKEN DO NOT QUESTION THEE. The Naming God does not accept such feeble mumblings. You have angered the NAMING GOD. In His wrath He shall rename your middle name Beiber and you shall forever be marked as a Beiber.

At least you're allowed whatever name in Joker 2. At least I think. I haven't encountered a problem there. I like how katakana and hiragana can be used. YAY, I'm learning Japanese slightly!

In the first Joker game naming monsters was a pain. EVERY name I came up with was rejected. I wanted to name a Lips monster Madonna. REJECTED. I wanted a mini demon to be named Lucifer Jr. REJECTED. I wanted an Ogre named YangoPie. REJECTED.

I wanted a King Slime named GODHATESQUEERS. Oddly accepted. (lol, just kidding God loves queer people. Ask the naming god.)

imp.png

Check out JessicaAlbert13's Tumblr!

http://jessicaalbert13.tumblr.com/

#23 DragonGaurdian

• Avid Alchemist

• 237 posts
  • Tag City:Plano
  • Tag Zip:75075

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

@Indogutsu: Yeah, then there's that, too.
Wherever evil may run rampant, I appear.

I fight, I liberate, and I move on to the next battle.

Villains fear my power, heroes admire my strength.

Whenever evil arises, I'll be there to fight it.

#24 Jay the Hawkhart Ace

• Monster Masher

• 806 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:2623-7540-8546
  • Interests:Foxes, Magic.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:42 AM

THE NAMING GOD HAS SPOKEN DO NOT QUESTION THEE. The Naming God does not accept such feeble mumblings. You have angered the NAMING GOD. In His wrath He shall rename your middle name Beiber and you shall forever be marked as a Beiber.

At least you're allowed whatever name in Joker 2. At least I think. I haven't encountered a problem there. I like how katakana and hiragana can be used. YAY, I'm learning Japanese slightly!

In the first Joker game naming monsters was a pain. EVERY name I came up with was rejected. I wanted to name a Lips monster Madonna. REJECTED. I wanted a mini demon to be named Lucifer Jr. REJECTED. I wanted an Ogre named YangoPie. REJECTED.

I wanted a King Slime named GODHATESQUEERS. Oddly accepted. (lol, just kidding God loves queer people. Ask the naming god.)
I understand Luucifer being rejected, but Madonna? It's truly ridicules

Jay.png

J.gifA.gifY.gif

#25 Thunderbolta

• Avid Alchemist

• 234 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:0476-1916-1926

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Wow, I'm lolling so much.

Anyone know where you can see the full list?

Edited by Thunderbolta, 07 May 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Posted Image

#26 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,843 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

This list is from DQ9, but it largely carries over:

http://www.mediafire...wl73ql78c8kiddr

Jessica_Clean_Sig.png   Bianca_Clean_Sig.png                Yangus_Clean_Sig.pngMarquis_De_Leon_Clean_Sig.png

#27 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,027 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4169-7228-4456
  • Interests:Cheesecake

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yeah... I remember hearing about that Madonna thing. I guess Square Enix has something against her...? XP

The word probably has some other meaning that I'm not presently aware of.

#28 Thunderbolta

• Avid Alchemist

• 234 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Wow. That filter is horrible. At least once it blocks the Americanization of a word, but not the British spelling (hooray for British people being able to bypass censors!). All of that and yet they still missed some.

But seriously, I can't call my guy BIGNEWS?
Posted Image

#29 JessicaAlbert13

• Head Hunter

• 547 posts
  • Interests:My primary interest is Dragon Quest, of course. My youtube page and tumblr are utterly Dragon Quest devoted. Outside of the internet I enjoy reading, writing, studying, swimming, and animals.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

HAHAHAHA! BigNews! I like that one. I always wondered why YangoPie wasn't allowed in Joker. Is it the Yangus part? Or the pie part? What is so bad about pie? That's not insulting at all! Pie is a delicious compliment! And what is wrong with the word Madonna?! Maybe you're right, Sasuke, and they don't want the reference to the singer. I mean, Madonna is just an older Lady Gaga.

HEY, does anyone know if Lady Gaga would pass? Nothing wrong with the word Lady. And Gaga isn't a bad word.

There's the naming guy in Dragon Warrior VII too. He let Jack and Marcello pass when I was renaming the hero and Gabo. I'm surprised Jack passed since you know you could name a character JackOff or JackUp or YouJack or JackMe.

imp.png

#30 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,027 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4169-7228-4456
  • Interests:Cheesecake

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

There's the naming guy in Dragon Warrior VII too. He let Jack and Marcello pass when I was renaming the hero and Gabo. I'm surprised Jack passed since you know you could name a character JackOff or JackUp or YouJack or JackMe.

Wait... VII has a filter? That seems... kinda unbelievable. I mean, the game can get awfully crude, so it just seems unlikely...

And I think pie can be used as slang to refer to part of the female anatomy, yo. Mind, I don't know if PIE itself is a censored word. It might be the Yango part, or something between the Yango and Pie that triggers the censor.

#31 Erdrick The Hero

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,188 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Scuba Diving, Crash Bandcoot, Game Development, Spyro the Dragon -- In no particular order. Also, Dragon Quest VII (Deserves it's own spot.)

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

This is weird, considering in Japan there is a lot of swearing in DQ games (from what I've read and some supposedly accurate fan translations) and even in the English DWVII. And look at square's games *cough*FFVII*cough*

ojdy04.png

Dragon Quest VII-2: http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=25545 (old topic) http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=26940 (current one)

Special Thanks to Jamiras843, who was a tremendous help when I was still using RPG Maker. Unfortunately, I will not be using his scripts anymore, but he deserves credit anyways. He has supplied me with some battle formulas, and is also a great source of moral support for the project. (Also, he helped with a few plot-related things. Sorry, no spoilers!)

Dragon Quest Games Owned: DW1 NES, DQ1 iOS (Digital), DW2 NES, DQ2 iOS (Digital), DW1&2 GBC, DW3 NES, DQ3 SFC (J), DW3 GBC, DQ4 DS, DQ4 iOS (Digital), DQ5 SFC (J), DQ5 PS2 (J), DQ5 DS, DQ6 SFC (J), DQ6 DS, DW7 PSX, DQ8 iOS (Digital), DQ9 DS, DQ10 Version 1 PC (J) (Digital), DQ10 Version 2 (J) (Digital), DQ Wars DSi (Digital), DWM GBC (x3), DQMJ DS, DQMJ2 DS, Torneko 2 PSX, Rocket Slime DS, Itadaki Street Special PS2 (J) (Awaiting shipment)

Dragon Quest Games Beaten: DW1 GBC, DQ1 iOS, DQ4 DS, DQ5 DS, DW7 PSX (x4), Rocket Slime DS
Needs work.

#32 Jay the Hawkhart Ace

• Monster Masher

• 806 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

Well, Japanese things like games and anime usually do have more swearing then their "cleaner" English translations.

Jay.png

J.gifA.gifY.gif

#33 JessicaAlbert13

• Head Hunter

• 547 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:16 AM

I think swearing is different in both culture. There are some things we do every day that the Japanese would consider rude, and there are words in Japanese that would shock us. And manga and anime do use a lot of swearing. Wouldn't that mean the younger generation is picking up more swear words? And that the future generation will swear like salty sea pirates?

I don't think Dragon Warrior VII has a filter. Monster Joker has a filter because you can play that game against other players and they didn't want players insulting other players...? Maybe...? I don't know why Dragon Quest VI has a filter. Hell, randy, sexy, damn..... there's no major swearing but there's some slight cursing. And Dragon Quest VI is the only Zenitian trilogy game to have a rating of T. Every other game is E+10. Why couldn't V have a rating of T? If you marry Bianca and go to Roundbeck's inn there's practically a sex scene! And some of the things Tuppence says! And um hello DEBORA!

imp.png

#34 Thunderbolta

• Avid Alchemist

• 234 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Madonna, I guess? Maddo?
Posted Image

#35 Erdrick The Hero

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,188 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Scuba Diving, Crash Bandcoot, Game Development, Spyro the Dragon -- In no particular order. Also, Dragon Quest VII (Deserves it's own spot.)

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

What's that mean?

ojdy04.png

Dragon Quest VII-2: http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=25545 (old topic) http://www.woodus.co...showtopic=26940 (current one)

Special Thanks to Jamiras843, who was a tremendous help when I was still using RPG Maker. Unfortunately, I will not be using his scripts anymore, but he deserves credit anyways. He has supplied me with some battle formulas, and is also a great source of moral support for the project. (Also, he helped with a few plot-related things. Sorry, no spoilers!)

Dragon Quest Games Owned: DW1 NES, DQ1 iOS (Digital), DW2 NES, DQ2 iOS (Digital), DW1&2 GBC, DW3 NES, DQ3 SFC (J), DW3 GBC, DQ4 DS, DQ4 iOS (Digital), DQ5 SFC (J), DQ5 PS2 (J), DQ5 DS, DQ6 SFC (J), DQ6 DS, DW7 PSX, DQ8 iOS (Digital), DQ9 DS, DQ10 Version 1 PC (J) (Digital), DQ10 Version 2 (J) (Digital), DQ Wars DSi (Digital), DWM GBC (x3), DQMJ DS, DQMJ2 DS, Torneko 2 PSX, Rocket Slime DS, Itadaki Street Special PS2 (J) (Awaiting shipment)

Dragon Quest Games Beaten: DW1 GBC, DQ1 iOS, DQ4 DS, DQ5 DS, DW7 PSX (x4), Rocket Slime DS
Needs work.

#36 Nokturnus

• Slime Slayer

• 12 posts
  • Tag City:Madison
  • Tag State:Wisconsin
  • Tag Zip:53711

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

I hate in Joker 1 when you name a Frogface, Frogface and its rejected. wtf?

#37 Jay the Hawkhart Ace

• Monster Masher

• 806 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

I think you should be able to use any name you want, but you have to change them to go on wifi....

Jay.png

J.gifA.gifY.gif

#38 Erdrick The Hero

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,188 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

I know this isn't cursing or anything, but I like how you can name the bag in DW7.

ojdy04.png

Needs work.

#39 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,843 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

I know this isn't cursing or anything, but I like how you can name the bag in DW7.

I thought it was interesting how the Japanese version of DQ6DS allows you to rename the bag, but our English version disabled that. Why on earth would they do that?

Jessica_Clean_Sig.png   Bianca_Clean_Sig.png                Yangus_Clean_Sig.pngMarquis_De_Leon_Clean_Sig.png

#40 Mario

• Sword Slinger

• 333 posts
  • Interests:Old things.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Perhaps to spare the world from a sudden influx of scrotum jokes.
"Terry and Carver were lovers, and Milly liked to tease Nevan by giving him unwilling lap dances while he cried in shame."

~Liquid Metal Babble

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users