Photo

My ratings for the RPGs i played thru for 10 years.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 knighTeen87

• Avid Alchemist

• 234 posts
  • Interests:Writer at a national video gaming magazine called Oyungezer (Game Wanderer)
  • Tag Country:Turkey
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:22 AM

Here is the list of RPGs i played thru for 10 years. Also i will give them all ratings out of 10, special awards and shame titles. I'm really wondering your thoughts. Here is the list:

Beyond The Beyond: 3/10
Breath Of Fire: 7/10
Castlevania-Aria Of Sorrow: 8/10
Castlevania-Circle Of The Moon: 7,5/10
Castlevania-Curse Of Darkness: 8,5/10
Castlevania-Dawn Of Sorrow: 8/10
Castlevania-Harmony Of Dissonance: 8,5/10
Castlevania-Order Of Ecclesia: 8/10
Castlevania-Portrait Of Ruin: 9/10
Castlevania-Symphony Of The Night: 10/10
Children Of Mana: 5/10
Chrono Trigger: 10/10
Crystalis(NES): 4,5/10
Darkstone: 6/10
Deep Labyrinth: 6/10
Demon's Souls: 9/10
Dragon Quest I(SNES): 8,5/10
Dragon Quest II(SNES): 5,5/10
Dragon Quest III(SNES): 7/10
Dragon Quest V: 8/10
Dragon Quest VII: 9,5/10
Dragon Quest VIII: 10/10
Dragon Quest IX: 9/10
Dragon Quest Monsters-Caravan Heart: 7,5/10
Eternal Ring: 7,5/10
Fighting Fantasy-The Warlock of Firetop Mountain: 7,5/10
Final Fantasy I(PSX): 9,5/10 (My dear very first RPG)
Final Fantasy II(PSX): 6/10
Final Fantasy III(NES): 5,5/10
Final Fantasy III(DS): 6,5/10
Final Fantasy IV(PSX): 6/10
Final Fantasy IV(DS): 7,5/10
Final Fantasy V(PSX): 6,5/10
Final Fantasy VI(GBA): 8/10
Final Fantasy X: 10/10
Final Fantast Tactics: 10/10
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: 6,5/10
King's Field I: 9,5/10
King's Field II: 9,5/10
King's Field III: 10/10
King's Field IV: 10/10
Legend Of Mana: 10/10
Legend Of Zelda-Minish Cap: 9/10
Legend Of Zelda-Phantom Hourglass: 8,5/10
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete: 8/10
Lunar 2-Eternal Blue Complete: 5/10
Mazes Of Fate: 7,5/10
Orcs&Elves: 7/10
Parasite Eve II: 6/10
Persona III: 8,5/10
Shadow Tower: 4/10
Suikoden I: 8,5/10
Suikoden II: 10/10
Suikoden III: 8/10
Suikoden IV: 7,5/10
Sword Of Mana: 8/10
Tactics Ogre-Let Us Cling Togeter(PSX): 6/10
Wizardry-Tale Of The Forsaken Land: 7,5/10

And there are the ones i played for a long and long time ago. I can't remember them enough to give proper ratings. So i will play thru them again some time i think:
Breath Of Fire III
Chrono Cross
Pokemon Blue
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Hoshigami:Running Blue Earth
Persona II

And here are the best&worst awards for 10 years:

THE BEST AWARDS
Best RPG: Suikoden II
Best Series: King's Field
Best Music: Chrono Trigger
Best Composer: Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon Quest serisi)
Best Storyline: Final Fantasy Tactics
Best Character: Viktor(Suikoden)
Best Battle Engine/System: Final Fantasy X
Special "Life Time Success" Award: Final Fantasy I Origins

THE SHAME LIST
Worst RPG: Shadow Tower
Most Overrated RPG: Dragon Quest III
Worst Music: Shadow Tower
Worst Storyline: Final Fantasy III
Worst Character: Seymour (FFX)
Worst Battle Engine/System: Final Fantasy II
Special "Life Time Fail" Award: Final Fantasy II
Posted Image

DQs that i beat: 1(SNES), 4 (DS), 5(PS2), 6(DS), 7(PSX), 8(PS2), 9(DS), Rocket Slime (DS), Torneko (SNES)
DQs that i gave up at the final boss: 2(SNES), 3(SNES&GBC), DQM3(GBA), T:TLH(PSX)

#2 GrandAlchemist

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,632 posts
  • Interests:Video games, playing guitar, listening to music, anime, hating work, goofing off.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Ehhh... the Castlevania games aren't RPGs. They're platformers. But they're still awesome. >_>

I wonder, what's wrong with DQ3?

Posted Image

#3 welloneday

• Avid Alchemist

• 168 posts
  • Interests:art and gaming
  • Tag City:im dancing
  • Tag State:just so u know(@.@)

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

stuff dq3 - whats wrong with dq2?
doesn't a ship count for any thing these days
HNI 0052
Album: art
18 images
0 comments

#4 knighTeen87

• Avid Alchemist

• 234 posts
  • Interests:Writer at a national video gaming magazine called Oyungezer (Game Wanderer)

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

As i see, lots of people's favorite DQ is DQ3. And it has incredible ratings on the websites and magazines. Even a survey conducted by the magazine Famitsu in early 2006 among its readers placed Dragon Quest III as the third most favorite game of all time, being preceded by only Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VII,[55] and the best game on Famicom.
DQ3 is a good game, i admit it. Bu if you ask me, not one of the greatest games ever. It can't even enter in my top 20 videogames list. That's why I'm calling it "overrated". Ok?
Posted Image

DQs that i beat: 1(SNES), 4 (DS), 5(PS2), 6(DS), 7(PSX), 8(PS2), 9(DS), Rocket Slime (DS), Torneko (SNES)
DQs that i gave up at the final boss: 2(SNES), 3(SNES&GBC), DQM3(GBA), T:TLH(PSX)

#5 Liquid Metal Babble

• Sword Slinger

• 448 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest.
  • Tag City:Kansas City
  • Tag State:Kansas
  • Tag Zip:66216

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:43 AM

I have played through every single game listed, and about three times as many in total.

The Zelda series, are in no way RPGs; neither are the Castlevania series. Role-Playing Games present all instances of action as abstractions meant to represent imaginary specifics. The concept is based off of Dungeons & Dragons, which coined the term "Role-Playing Game." Random encounters, map scaling, shops, part inventory, etc, are all abstractions meant to represent imaginary actions. Role-Playing Game means that "roles are played," such as a menu-driven encounter playing an intense, heated battle between men and monsters.

The reason Zelda is not an RPG is that there is no abstracted action. You are shown performing the actions as they occur, hence it as an Action game.. Castlevania is not an RPG firstly for the same reason as Zelda; secondly, despite the abstraction of attributes, you still perform direct action in combat. Your character cannot be imagined that, with his growing attributes, he performs better in battle; he is literally hopping around swinging his sword. Instead, damage increases, which misses the entire point of how RPG's are supposed to work.

Story, also, has little to do with RPG's intrinsically, as any type of game can have a story.

The OP's general theme with his rating system seems to, with the nostalgia-based exception of Final Fantasy I, punish games for prioritizing RPG game play over plot.

Suikoden IV, for instance, was the lightest of the series in terms of story, but the best in terms of solid game play mechanics.

Final Fantasy III got Worst Story, when it had one of the best stories--it was a classical epic. Where Final Fantasy X failed, story-wise to me, was that the writers did not understand that dialog does not equate plot. When you play a game with a silent protagonist, you are forced into the perspective of the character. You do not have that character's written beliefs to guide you, all you have is your own--making you that character. In Final Fantasy X, you are railroaded into a drama where lack of actual plot is washed over by plot-twists and tragedy.

You can look down on Dragon Quest 3 all you want, but the fact of the matter is, it is the best RPG ever made, and here is why: compare it to Final Fantasy IV. Final Fantasy IV had nothing on Dragon Quest 3, mechanically. It was shorter, it was easier (even the Hard Type), and it had linear design. Dragon Quest 3 was longer, had far more sophisticated game play mechanics, was more difficult, and did not force you to play a man who looks like a chick. Dragon Quest 3 was also made three years before Final Fantasy IV. My point? NOTHING was like Dragon Quest III. No game has ever been so far ahead of its time. It was a monstrous game, that did things to the Nintendo never before seen. Now, I love Final Fantasy III, but the fact that it was released two full years after Dragon Quest III, and was the closest a Final Fantasy ever came to impersonating a Dragon Quest, is proof of my point. Dragon Quest III literally kicked the gaming world's ass.

Final Fantasy II was daring in the same way, but it failed. I love Final Fantasy II, I imported it in 1996 or so. It was way ahead of its time as well, and its legacy, the SaGa series, unfortunately met with many of the same problems; most of which were that "it was too hard, and the developers did not get the mechanics working good enough."

It has been a widely held belief for many years that Japanese game developers considered RPGs too hard for a Western audience. This is absolutely true. If you are one of those who deny this, then you are an exception. For those of you old enough to remember, think back to when you were chomping at the bit for school to let out so you could go home and play Illusion of Gaia while everyone else in your class was going on about how good Shaq Fu was.

Here is this. Final Fantasy II had a deep story unseen in early RPGs. The difficulty of the game, however, made this story unapproachable. Final Fantasy IV, initially, had this same problem, so it was re-released as an easier version. Though Square moved on to greater things, the concept of game play taking a backseat to story in RPGs became epidemic. This is so bad that, as I stated above, the meaning of RPG has become associated with setting and theme, not the actual mechanics that it was originally based on! The outcome? RPG's becoming a vehicle to tell a story, where, if you're lucky, the battle system is playable. Congratulations, you just paid sixty bucks for a book (with pictures!).

This is not an attack on the OP, rather my response to SOME of his ratings.

Seriously, though, you did not like Crystalis? That game beat the crap out of Zelda in every single way!

#6 knighTeen87

• Avid Alchemist

• 234 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

I read thru all of your opinions man and i respect them.

I played paper&dice RPGs also for years and role playing is not playing your own self or who you want to play. It's also playing a "role" of somebody, a character, etc, even playing the role of Link or Alucard with RPG elements.So i got nothing against playing thru story of a character if it's really good.

And role playing is not only battling out also. Every good role play brings good stories also. and as for myself, story is one of the most important thing in a video game. That's why i gave FF2 a 6 out of 10. "6" means "Close to good" to me and it had great nice musics(the other thing that i really care in video game also), nice storyline but a poor, even a terrible battle system. For all those years, lots of people attacked their own characters for gaining HPs due to that exp system. And never again series used that system. That was the greatest problem of FF2

And if you asked, FF3(NES) was even worse than that. I can't battle out monsters for 40 hours with "you are light warriros 16 years old boys, save us please" storyline, sorry about that. I have to wonder(even though lost of RPGs have cliches) what will happen next to the story or my character at least.

Suikoden 2 is the greatest game i have ever played. if you still say S4 was better, i have nothing to say.

J-RPGs are not too hard for me, i even finished lots of them under the number of levels suggested by hardcore gamers. But if a game wants me to turn back and kill same monsters over and over again for hours just to kill a single boss(even though to i came thru whole path him battling to him), sorry but i can just consider that a cheap way to make gameplay time longer. That what DQ2, DQ3, Children of Mana, FF3, DQ7 did. If you want to make gameplay time longer, just move your ass and add some extra features, bonus dungeons, side stories, etc. Power trips are the easiest cheap tricks to do that.

Sorry but that's what it's to me
Posted Image

#7 Liquid Metal Babble

• Sword Slinger

• 448 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

If you address role-playing literally in context with video games; then every single video game is a role-playing game. You play a role in every video game, but that does not qualify them as an RPG. That is just spurious reasoning. The plot of a video game has nothing to do with its genre of game play. Absolutely nothing. You want the best story for an NES game? Try Astyanax, a platformer. If I want a good story, I will read a book. There has not been an RPG made that can even come close to having a story as good as Les Miserable or Murder On the Orient Express.

Between Suikoden II and Suikoden IV, the latter is the better game, mechanically. The battle system and the graphics are the best in-series. Suikoden II had a much better plot. A much, much, much better plot. The only thing I have to say against Suikoden II, is that the English localization was very poorly done.

"J-RPGs are not too hard for me, i even finished lots of them under the number of levels suggested by hardcore gamers. But if a game wants me to turn back and kill same monsters over and over again for hours just to kill a single boss(even though to i came thru whole path him battling to him), sorry but i can just consider that a cheap way to make gameplay time longer. That what DQ2, DQ3, Children of Mana, FF3, DQ7 did. If you want to make gameplay time longer, just move your ass and add some extra features, bonus dungeons, side stories, etc. Power trips are the easiest cheap tricks to do that."

You just shot your credibility as a fan of RPG's in the foot. You just admitted to hating the entirety of what RPG's are. They are not about plot, they are not about literally playing the role of another character. They are about abstract mechanisms replacing literal action. You are arguing that the point of an RPG is to proceed to the end of the story, when it is just not. The point of a game is to be played. You must inevitably play to win, but that does not mean "just get it done." All the game you mention as having a "cheap way to make gameplay time longer" seems house some belief that this is a bad thing, and furthermore that a game's length determines its quality. This is just wrong. There is no right to it. You are faulting RPG's for being RPG's. Seriously, go read a $#!&ing book.

You would probably like the Tales of... series. They mistakenly presume that every player wants to hear ever last thought every playable character has at any given moment. You really get to know the characters--too bad it is a game, and listening to asinine juvenile dialog is about as fun as trying to express facts, with absolute evidence, to misguided people on the internet.

On a side note, you should play Phantasy Star: End of the Millenium on the Genesis. It has the perfect balance of plot and game play. It is as good as Chrono Trigger in every way that makes Chrono Trigger good. Even though Phantasy Star IV has cooler cut-scenes.

#8 knighTeen87

• Avid Alchemist

• 234 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

Man, we have different expectations from games. For you RPG means battle system, but for me it's a combination of battle, musics, storyline, character, concept, atmosphere. It has to combine all these elements for me to call it a "Good One". Same goes for me for the other genres also, i even expect good musics and storyline even from a fighting game. That's why I prefer King Of Fighters over Street Fighter

For me playing a RPG is listening musics of the game even after beating it and having memories about that.
For me playing a RPG is talking the outcome of storyline with friends or sharing opinions
For me playing a RPG is finding and reading trivias, side notes about the game
For me playing a RPG is collecting the official arts of the characters that i like

Best battle system was at FFX if you ask me, but if it hadn't Nobuo's compositions, good characters and a good story(i liked it whatever you say) i would just give it 5 or 6 out of 10, nothing more...

So i don't expect you to understand me just like i can't understand you :)
Posted Image

#9 The Mystical One

• Monster Masher

• 966 posts
  • Tag City:Pittsburgh
  • Tag State:PA
  • Tag Zip:16055
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:31 AM

"For him," RPG means abstracted mechanics, allowing you to fit into and become (stand in for) the role of a character. Which is pretty much what an RPG is supposed to be. See: D&D, GURPS, Ultima, etc. This is actually pretty much what an RPG has been from the beginning. Or rather, it is what makes an RPG an RPG.

"a combination of battle, musics, storyline, character, concept, atmosphere" is actually what is pretty much the definition of "a game knighTeen87 enjoys." Maybe those are things you look for in an RPG, but those are not what actually makes it an RPG. All those things you look for in an RPG can be present in almost any genre. That is the point LMS is trying to make, I believe.

#10 Liquid Metal Babble

• Sword Slinger

• 448 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:00 PM

"For him," RPG means abstracted mechanics, allowing you to fit into and become (stand in for) the role of a character. Which is pretty much what an RPG is supposed to be. See: D&D, GURPS, Ultima, etc. This is actually pretty much what an RPG has been from the beginning. Or rather, it is what makes an RPG an RPG.

"a combination of battle, musics, storyline, character, concept, atmosphere" is actually what is pretty much the definition of "a game knighTeen87 enjoys." Maybe those are things you look for in an RPG, but those are not what actually makes it an RPG. All those things you look for in an RPG can be present in almost any genre. That is the point LMS is trying to make, I believe.

What you have said here is EXACTLY my meaning. Well done, sir.

#11 Crolley

• Dungeon Dweller

• 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

"RPG" is just a genre title. It doesn't hold any kind of inherent, cosmic legitimacy. Genre titles, and what they define, can change when they jump to new mediums, or even just change over time. They're hardly absolute, and honestly tend to be more like rules of thumb than rigidly-defined laws.

You can argue about what makes a "true RPG" all you like, though I guarantee you that it'll be absolutely meaningless to anyone but yourself. You're trying to hold sand between your fingers. It doesn't matter if you've played a billion RPGs, or are the sole heir to the grand RPG Kingdom, genres always tend to have a level of subjectivity to them. Genres change, they morph, and in the end... genre titles are primarily for our convenience.

You may be of the opinion that only the original definition of "RPG" is the correct one, but there's nothing to objectively prove that genres and the way they're defined changing over time is wrong and should never happen, that is an opinion.

In the end, the original concept of any genre was born and formed from in human mind, making it inherently subjective at the time of its creation. You could say there was reasoning, and logic involved in the creation of a genre title, but even those are subject to the creator's values and perception. Genre titles were never technically objective, and shouldn't be treated as such.

As trite as it might sound, these are just your opinions. You cannot refute an opinion with another opinion.

Liquid Metal Babble, your opinions on RPGs are hardly illogical or unreasonable, but your attitude leaves something to be desired. Telling someone to "read a $#!&ing book" because their opinions on videogames differ from yours is not intelligent discourse, by any reasonable standard.

#12 Red Dragon

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,492 posts
  • Interests:Work, family, Sports, Fishing, Hunting, The Great Outdoors

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

I'll go back to the beginning with mine.

Arcanum - 10/10 - My 2nd favorite of all of them - most underrated. Fallout's close cousin.
Chrono Trigger - 9/10
Crystalis - 8/10
Dragon Quest 1 (NES) - 7.5/10
DQ2 - 8/10
DQ3 - 8/10
DQ4 - 10/10
DQ5 - 10/10
DQ6 - 8.5/10
DQ7 - 9.5/10
DQ8 - 9/10
DQ9 - 7/10
Dungeon and Dragons - Treasure of Tarmin - 7/10 (Intellivision) - Old school dungeon crawler.
Fallout 8/10
Fallout 2 9/10
Final Fantasy 7/10 NES, 8/10 Remake (PSX)
FFII 2/10 (PSX remake) Liked the story, but broken system.
FFIII 5/10 DS (Didn't like the difficulty of the end at all and lack of saving spot there)
FFIV 10/10 both DS and SNES - My personal favorite of the series. My favorite story. I saw a lot of myself in Cecil. Glad hero wasn't a brat.
FFV 6.5/10 PSX remake - Solid, not spectacular.
FFVI 9.5/10 SNES - A bit easy since you can spam the ultima spell, but the most indepth of the games with the exception of tactics.
FFVII - 6/10 PSX - Great first half, then weak ending part. Shinra was the perfect villain. Seprioth on the other hand, meh. Cloud's stolen honor really soured me as well.
FFVIII - 6.5/10 PSX - Much maligned. Not as bad as the hype, but not a great game.
FFIX - 8/10 - PSX My favorite of the modern FF games. A bit of a throwback in setting.
FFX - 2/10 - PS2 Not a bad battle system, but Tidus ruins the game. I've never disliked a main hero character more in my 30+ year gaming history.
FFXII - 7/10 - PS2 Below avg battle system, great level up system, decent story. Solid, not spectacular.
FF Tactics - 10/10 - My 2nd favorite to FFIV.
Knights of the Old Republic - 7/10 (8.5 if it wasn't so damn buggy)
Knights of the Old Republic II - 7/10
Might and Magic 6 - 8/10
Might and Magic 7 - 9.5/10 - Their best work outside of Heroes 3.
Might and Magic 8 - 6/10 - WAY too short and easy. Same format as M&M 6/7.
Might and Magic 9 - 5/10
Persona 3 - 8/10
Persona 4 - 8/10
Phantasy Star 2 - 5/10 (Played it on Sega Genesis Collection, never got into it)
Radiata Stories - 6/10
Star Ocean - Till the end of time (so far) - 8.5/10
Suikoden - 8/10
Suikoden 2 - 10/10
Suikoden 3 - 9/10
Suikoden 4 - 5/10
Suikoden 5 - 10/10
Suikoden Tactics 6/10
Suikoden Tierkenis (DS) 6/10
Ultima 3 (NES) - 6/10
Ultima 4 (NES/PC) - 9/10
Ultima 5 (PC) - 7.5/10 (So far - haven't finished)
Ultima 6 (PC) - 8.5/10 (so far - haven't finished)
Ultima 7: Black Gate - 10+/10 - My favorite of all time
Ultima 7: Serpent Isle - 10/10 - Really part of the same game.
Ultima 8 - 3/10 - I shouldn't get killed by jumping in an RPG. Worst, what's an Ultima game without a party?
Ultima 9 - 1/10 - Notice that the best and worst RPG on my list are from the same series.

The too incomplete to rate list - great potential from what I've played

Baldur's Gate II
Betrayal at Krondor

Best list:
Best RPG: Ultima 7
Best Series: Suikoden/Dragon Quest (Tie) DQ more consistent.
Best Storyline: Ultima VII
Best Characters: Tough call. Dupre, Shamino, Raven, Cecil, Georg Prime,
Best Villains - Batlin, Bishop Ladja, Marcello, Kefka, Luca Blight, Necrosaro
Best Battle Engine/System: Dragon Quest Series.
Most Underrated - Final Fantasy IX (Could argue Arcanum, but that's highly rated by those who know it)

Worst List"
Worst RPG: Ultima IX. Dishonorable mention to FFII and FFX
Most Overrated RPG: Final Fantasy X
Worst Storyline: Final Fantasy X
Worst Character that you aren't supposed to hate: Tidus (FFX) Dishonorable mention to Jack Russell for Radiata Stories.
Worst Battle Engine/System: Ultima VIII. Dishonorable mention to Ultima IX and FFII.

"Maribel - Dave (Hero), it's amazing that you always create your opinions independent of reason. She's not even all that attractive." - DQVII

dw6hassan.gif

#13 Liquid Metal Babble

• Sword Slinger

• 448 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

"RPG" is just a genre title. It doesn't hold any kind of inherent, cosmic legitimacy. Genre titles, and what they define, can change when they jump to new mediums, or even just change over time. They're hardly absolute, and honestly tend to be more like rules of thumb than rigidly-defined laws.

You can argue about what makes a "true RPG" all you like, though I guarantee you that it'll be absolutely meaningless to anyone but yourself. You're trying to hold sand between your fingers. It doesn't matter if you've played a billion RPGs, or are the sole heir to the grand RPG Kingdom, genres always tend to have a level of subjectivity to them. Genres change, they morph, and in the end... genre titles are primarily for our convenience.

You may be of the opinion that only the original definition of "RPG" is the correct one, but there's nothing to objectively prove that genres and the way they're defined changing over time is wrong and should never happen, that is an opinion.

In the end, the original concept of any genre was born and formed from in human mind, making it inherently subjective at the time of its creation. You could say there was reasoning, and logic involved in the creation of a genre title, but even those are subject to the creator's values and perception. Genre titles were never technically objective, and shouldn't be treated as such.

As trite as it might sound, these are just your opinions. You cannot refute an opinion with another opinion.

Liquid Metal Babble, your opinions on RPGs are hardly illogical or unreasonable, but your attitude leaves something to be desired. Telling someone to "read a $#!&ing book" because their opinions on videogames differ from yours is not intelligent discourse, by any reasonable standard.

So an RPG is what, then? A non-definition? They can only be defined by what they are not? You are wrong. You are not even using "genre" in the proper sense. Go play Freud elsewhere.

#14 Safis

• Sword Slinger

• 377 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

In the spirit of RPG rating, here is my list. I may not have completed as many RPGs as some of you, but here goes:

Breath of Fire (GBC): 6/10
Breath of Fire II (GBC): 7.5/10
Dragon Warrior (NES): 7/10
Dragon Warrior (GBC): 7/10
Dragon Warrior II (NES): 7/10
Dragon Warrior III (NES): 8/10
Dragon Warrior III (GBC): 9/10
Dragon Warrior IV (NES): 10/10
Dragon Quest V (SFC): 10/10 (I never felt more personally involved in an RPG than in DQV. Great gameplay, story, music, everything.)
Dragon Warrior VII (PS): 8/10
Dragon Quest IX (DS): 6/10 (The actual game seemed rather uninspired after the first bit. Also, I really dislike randomly generated dungeons.)
Dragon Warrior Monsters: 6/10 (Again, the randomly generated maps)
Final Fantasy (GBA): 8/10 (The added content in these two were great, especially for FFII)
Final Fantasy II (GBC): 8/10 (Yes you can abuse the system, but if you play it like it's meant to be played, it actually works alright)
Final Fantasy III (DS): 5/10 (I found the game boring. Also, if I can easily obliterate the final boss, spend extra 10 hours leveling, and still destroyed in 1-2 rounds by the bonus boss, that's not challenge, that's stupid.)
Final Fantasy IX (PS): 9/10 (This game remembers what it is that makes RPGs fun to play. Mostly, anyway.)
Final Fantasy X (PS2): 7/10 (I didn't like the lack of overworld map and linearity so much. Also, the characters were annoying.)
Golden Sun (GBA): 6/10 (It looks great, but it's only moderately fun to play)
Mother/Earthbound Zero (FC/NES): 6.5/10 (Pretty neat once you get into it, but it's pretty slow)
Paper Mario (N64): 8/10
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC): 10/10
Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow (GB): 9/10 (The classics are great, and no big gimmicks like later in the series)
Pokémon Gold/Silver: 9/10 (Haven't played Crystal, so no rating there)
Pokémon Platinum: 7/10 (Good game, but too many you-can-only-get-this-if-you-have-lots-of-friends-nearby things going on, and no access to well over half the Pokémon)
Star Ocean: The Second Story (PS): 9/10
Super Mario RPG (SNES): 7/10 (Great at the time, but playing it now, it feels a little too much like it's made for young kids)
Dragon Quest Collection:
Dragon Quest I, II, III, IV (Famicom)
Dragon Quest III, V, VI (Super Famicom)
Dragon Warrior I.II, III (Gameboy Color)
Dragon Quest IV (PlayStation)
Dragon Warrior VII (PlayStation)
Dragon Quest V, VIII (PlayStation 2) (J)
Dragon Quest IX (Nintendo DS) (J)
Dragon Warrior Monsters, DWM 2: Cobi's Journey (Gameboy Color)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Nintendo DS) (U/C)
Torneko no Daibouken (Super Famicom)

Still Wanting:
Dragon Quest I.II (Super Famicom)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (Gameboy Advance)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (DS)

Posted Image

#15 Liquid Metal Babble

• Sword Slinger

• 448 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

In the spirit of RPG rating, here is my list. I may not have completed as many RPGs as some of you, but here goes:

Breath of Fire (GBC): 6/10
Breath of Fire II (GBC): 7.5/10
Dragon Warrior (NES): 7/10
Dragon Warrior (GBC): 7/10
Dragon Warrior II (NES): 7/10
Dragon Warrior III (NES): 8/10
Dragon Warrior III (GBC): 9/10
Dragon Warrior IV (NES): 10/10
Dragon Quest V (SFC): 10/10 (I never felt more personally involved in an RPG than in DQV. Great gameplay, story, music, everything.)
Dragon Warrior VII (PS): 8/10
Dragon Quest IX (DS): 6/10 (The actual game seemed rather uninspired after the first bit. Also, I really dislike randomly generated dungeons.)
Dragon Warrior Monsters: 6/10 (Again, the randomly generated maps)
Final Fantasy (GBA): 8/10 (The added content in these two were great, especially for FFII)
Final Fantasy II (GBC): 8/10 (Yes you can abuse the system, but if you play it like it's meant to be played, it actually works alright)
Final Fantasy III (DS): 5/10 (I found the game boring. Also, if I can easily obliterate the final boss, spend extra 10 hours leveling, and still destroyed in 1-2 rounds by the bonus boss, that's not challenge, that's stupid.)
Final Fantasy IX (PS): 9/10 (This game remembers what it is that makes RPGs fun to play. Mostly, anyway.)
Final Fantasy X (PS2): 7/10 (I didn't like the lack of overworld map and linearity so much. Also, the characters were annoying.)
Golden Sun (GBA): 6/10 (It looks great, but it's only moderately fun to play)
Mother/Earthbound Zero (FC/NES): 6.5/10 (Pretty neat once you get into it, but it's pretty slow)
Paper Mario (N64): 8/10
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC): 10/10
Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow (GB): 9/10 (The classics are great, and no big gimmicks like later in the series)
Pokémon Gold/Silver: 9/10 (Haven't played Crystal, so no rating there)
Pokémon Platinum: 7/10 (Good game, but too many you-can-only-get-this-if-you-have-lots-of-friends-nearby things going on, and no access to well over half the Pokémon)
Star Ocean: The Second Story (PS): 9/10
Super Mario RPG (SNES): 7/10 (Great at the time, but playing it now, it feels a little too much like it's made for young kids)

I have never read a better description of Golden Sun ever in my life. The Breath of Fire ports were on the GBA, btw. Good taste in games.

#16 Crolley

• Dungeon Dweller

• 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

So an RPG is what, then? A non-definition? They can only be defined by what they are not? You are wrong. You are not even using "genre" in the proper sense. Go play Freud elsewhere.

What is an RPG? Well that's the problem. Genre definitions pretty much exist inside the collective consciousness, like much of pop culture. It may have started somewhere, but ultimately it is inherently SUBjective, and therefor is not OBjective. You understand the difference, correct?

I will keep it simple, since perhaps I rambled too much in trying to be comprehensive... Genres are concepts, formed from opinions, perceptions, and personal reasoning EVEN at their conception. It isn't a matter of psychology, the bottom line is that your definition of an RPG cannot be factually correct. It can be logical, it can be reasonable, it can be well-conceived, but subjective things can not be factually correct. That is not what a fact is. Genre definitions may have logical bases, but they never, at any time, had objective bases.

I understand, the line between logical yet subjective and objective can seem very thin at points, but it is still there. I don't know why it bothers you that knighTeen doesn't share your personal perception of the RPG genre, or why you apparently need everyone to accept your personal beliefs about RPGs (sacrament of sacraments!) as fact, and to be frank, I don't care. I certainly hope this kind of needlessly confrontational behavior from you is not going to become the norm around the RPG General section of the forums.

#17 Mattcraft

• RAAAAAAAANT

• 3,793 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:I don't like DQMJ.
  • Interests:Emulation, Ranting, Retro RPGs.
  • Tag State:Georgia

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with your opinion on the Castlevania series.

Symphony of the Night is one of the best RPGs ever made. Period.

EVER.

rhjp6g.jpg

<Crolley> "Your prayers have been answered, small boy. I have punched Ivor."

<PlattyM3> "Where's my beating a dead horse GIF?" <Ryu> "I beat it to death."

Gimme a dollar. https://www.paypal.c...d=LU8YNZBRZRS4C

Join me in telling Nintendo we want Dragon Quest 7, 10, and whatever else! www.operationedenverse.com

Owner & operator of the Dragon's Den Steam group. Join us.

#18 GrandAlchemist

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,632 posts
  • Interests:Video games, playing guitar, listening to music, anime, hating work, goofing off.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:50 PM

The reason Zelda is not an RPG is that there is no abstracted action. You are shown performing the actions as they occur, hence it as an Action game.

Once upon a time this statement would have been 99% valid. Quest for Glory, King's Field, The Elder Scrolls and MMORPGs in general crossed this line of distinction long ago. I remember when the LoZ series was categorized as Action/Adventure with RPG elements, but as more modern RPGs have adopted action/adventure elements it's really just splitting hairs. The only discernible difference is the Legend of Zelda series eschews an experience point-based system. Perhaps this is the backbone of the definition of an RPG? Perhaps -- however, I recall in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion it's actually much easier to beat the game if you don't level up!

Posted Image

#19 Red Dragon

• Ace of Alefgard

• 1,492 posts
  • Interests:Work, family, Sports, Fishing, Hunting, The Great Outdoors

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

The reason Zelda is not an RPG is that there is no abstracted action. You are shown performing the actions as they occur, hence it as an Action game.

Once upon a time this statement would have been 99% valid. Quest for Glory, King's Field, The Elder Scrolls and MMORPGs in general crossed this line of distinction long ago. I remember when the LoZ series was categorized as Action/Adventure with RPG elements, but as more modern RPGs have adopted action/adventure elements it's really just splitting hairs. The only discernible difference is the Legend of Zelda series eschews an experience point-based system. Perhaps this is the backbone of the definition of an RPG? Perhaps -- however, I recall in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion it's actually much easier to beat the game if you don't level up!

I don't consider Zelda RPG's. Action adventures. That's what it was called back in 88. Link and Link to the Past has RPG elements at times, but I still consider them Action/Adventure games.

I did however put Crystalis as an RPG. I think the big thing is the grinding requirement. Crystalis requires grinding, more than some modern RPG's actually.

"Maribel - Dave (Hero), it's amazing that you always create your opinions independent of reason. She's not even all that attractive." - DQVII

dw6hassan.gif

#20 GrandAlchemist

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,632 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

I don't consider The Legend of Zelda games to be RPGs either, but saying they're not RPGs is really just splitting hairs.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users