#21 SOuimet

• Sword Slinger

• 262 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3096-0435-6280
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

Take a look >>>>Here

This is VERY good!!

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll be able to do those changes pretty easily.

In this file, there are skills, traits and monsters (perhaps including those missing).
I'll just have to make sure I don't use too many characters, but it should be manageable.

Let's just hope for the best that I have some flexibility in the text sizes.

I made an account on the wiki, in a bit I might be able to help out with trivial things.

I kinda count on it, I won't be able to do everything myself, so I'll need help. I don't know yet the kind of help I will need, but I do know I'll need beta testing, checking for mistakes and probably updating somes pages also.

The project is still young, but who knows, it might grow fast...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Spikan

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,951 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4255-6430-7375
  • Interests:Drawing, Gaming, Dragon Quest, Blue Dragon, Anime, Drawing, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Skies of Arcadia, RPG Maker VX, Dragon Ball series
  • Tag City:Hillsborough
  • Tag State:North Carolina
  • Tag Country:United States

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

Right now I'd say all of us that are working on this are the only hope for an American release, I just don't know what I could do yet.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 ethanej

• Sword Slinger

• 341 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:1721-5975-7443
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, building computers, et cetera
  • Tag City:Sandy Lake
  • Tag State:PA
  • Tag Zip:16145

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

So far the only things that I notice that are wrong are certain monsters are missing their images and also the first monster you get uses it's Japanese name instead.

Edited by ethanej, 27 April 2011 - 06:20 PM.

#24 SOuimet

• Sword Slinger

• 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

So far the only things that I notice that are wrong are certain monsters are missing their images and also the first monster you get uses it's Japanese name instead.

Thanks for the info, can you please tell me what are those monsters so that I can correct them?

Also, here's the latest progress (will get better tonight probably):
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 ethanej

• Sword Slinger

• 341 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the info, can you please tell me what are those monsters so that I can correct them?

Evil beast, Zenith Dragon, Magarugi, Libranex, Leonyx, Dark Leonyx, Great Godbird, Rhapthore(Size 3 monster), Estark, Aquarion, Robo Slime, Gadis, Saggitar, Yggdrasil, Sitting Beast, Workshop, Liquid metal king, Pruslas, Orochi, Xiphos, Ruin, King Godwyn, Ballon Slime, Khalimari, Canzar, Schleiman Tank, Empyrea, Stormsgate Citadel, Slime Family, Bjorn, Missing Lynx, Leviathan, Wiggly probably would have been easier to say size three monsters.

#26 SOuimet

• Sword Slinger

• 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Evil beast, Zenith Dragon, Magarugi, Libranex, Leonyx, Dark Leonyx, Great Godbird, Rhapthore(Size 3 monster), Estark, Aquarion, Robo Slime, Gadis, Saggitar, Yggdrasil, Sitting Beast, Workshop, Liquid metal king, Pruslas, Orochi, Xiphos, Ruin, King Godwyn, Ballon Slime, Khalimari, Canzar, Schleiman Tank, Empyrea, Stormsgate Citadel, Slime Family, Bjorn, Missing Lynx, Leviathan, Wiggly probably would have been easier to say size three monsters.

I must say I'm confused about this, because they work fine on my side.
Now this makes me unsure I created the patch correctly.
Are you speaking of the library monster image or in battle?

For the first monster, it's normal that it's in japanese. These monsters kind is in english, but their names are predetermined already so I will need to dig deeper to find them. I don't know yet where to change it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 ethanej

• Sword Slinger

• 341 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

I must say I'm confused about this, because they work fine on my side.
Now this makes me unsure I created the patch correctly.
Are you speaking of the library monster image or in battle?

In both library monster image and battle. I've reapplied the patch two different times(On an unpatched rom.) thinking that was the problem.

Edited by ethanej, 27 April 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#28 SOuimet

• Sword Slinger

• 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

If I'm not mistaking, all of those are size 3.
Normally, they are after the end of the game (I'm not there yet so I don't know for sure).

However, what I used was an AR code to show those in the library.
I added it to the cheats section of the wiki.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 ethanej

• Sword Slinger

• 341 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

If I'm not mistaking, all of those are size 3.
Normally, they are after the end of the game (I'm not there yet so I don't know for sure).

However, what I used was an AR code to show those in the library.
I added it to the cheats section of the wiki.

Hum, I just tried my save(Non-Translated) that is a bit farther along in the game and the images show up fine for both.

#30 Emptystar

• Sword Slinger

• 295 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Take a look >>>>Here

This is VERY good!!

Thanks a lot, I guess I'll be able to do those changes pretty easily.

In this file, there are skills, traits and monsters (perhaps including those missing).
I'll just have to make sure I don't use too many characters, but it should be manageable.

Let's just hope for the best that I have some flexibility in the text sizes.

I made an account on the wiki, in a bit I might be able to help out with trivial things.

I kinda count on it, I won't be able to do everything myself, so I'll need help. I don't know yet the kind of help I will need, but I do know I'll need beta testing, checking for mistakes and probably updating somes pages also.

The project is still young, but who knows, it might grow fast...

Well, I'm currently looking for Beta testers.

#31 SOuimet

• Sword Slinger

• 262 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

The latest update: skills translation is in progress, but the names are too long for now.

Here's a preview: Skills in library
Note: I had to use numbers for non-translated skills. Also, some are missing, because the number of letters is too much.
I had to rename Slash to SL, Dance to Dc, Breath to Br and right now.

I think now that it could be good to have ideas on what skills names can be shrinked.

I also added what I did in the wiki, so that this list could be edited.

Edited by SOuimet, 27 April 2011 - 09:08 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,457 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:54 AM

Wow, impressive progress. You seem to be moving along quite quickly. Do you think a little creative hacking could free up the space needed for the longer names or is that likely a lost cause? Obviously, shortened names are far better than nothing but it seems a shame to shorten them if it there is any way around it.

In any case, I applaud your efforts. Nice work so far.

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.png DQMW_hdpi.png foot_dq1.png foot_dq2.png foot_dq3.png icon.png

PrinceofCannock1-1.pngTrauminate_IMG-3.pngBianca.png

#33 Gigamagicx6

• Monster Masher

• 891 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

a good thing from DQM:J2 is that they stop using commentaries on battles. which i'm sure once whole skill sets and names are translated. i'm sure everyone won't stuck too much on the game what is this's effect of what is that supposed to mean in battlewise. for scripts of the whole story maybe will take a lot of time compared to skills. And many people can start studying the main point from skillsets and many other things.

good luck SOiumet!! your works in these translations has a very great impact to DQM:J2 fans/players in future.(incase they aren't put the game in english, well, that's madness if that was true.)
My DQheroes lv.
1.Avan:lv30
2.Atma:lv40
3.Roto:lv60
4.Solo:lv54
5.Abel/ryuuka:lv52
6.Botsu: lv 70
7.Arus(DQVII):(not yet, tries to play the game after got psp and have the files)
8.Eight:lv52
9.Nain(DQIX):lv99(+1)
Swords:lv44-45.
Nappa: Bezita, what does the scouter says on their levels?
Bezita: ITS OVER NINE THOOOUUUSSSAAAAANNNDDDDD!!!!!
Nappa: Bezita, how much exp we got if we kill Liquid metal slime?
Bezita: ITS OVER NINE THOOOUUUSSSAAAAANNNDDDDD!!!!!
Nappa: Bezita, How many fans know this joke
Bezita: ITS OVE... Wait!! I'm tired of those lines.
WTF?BOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Narrator:and so, the world has gain it's peace from those 2 murderous saiyans.
Posted Image

#34 Emptystar

• Sword Slinger

• 295 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

a good thing from DQM:J2 is that they stop using commentaries on battles. which i'm sure once whole skill sets and names are translated. i'm sure everyone won't stuck too much on the game what is this's effect of what is that supposed to mean in battlewise. for scripts of the whole story maybe will take a lot of time compared to skills. And many people can start studying the main point from skillsets and many other things.

good luck SOiumet!! your works in these translations has a very great impact to DQM:J2 fans/players in future.(incase they aren't put the game in english, well, that's madness if that was true.)

The script won't be too much of a problem. Once the rough Google-translated text is added to the Wiki, people can go edit it in bulk.

#35 SOuimet

• Sword Slinger

• 262 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Wow, impressive progress. You seem to be moving along quite quickly. Do you think a little creative hacking could free up the space needed for the longer names or is that likely a lost cause? Obviously, shortened names are far better than nothing but it seems a shame to shorten them if it there is any way around it.

In any case, I applaud your efforts. Nice work so far.

Translating the game is kinda easy when it's not encrypted or compressed (it's not), when the alphabet is decoded to find stuff (which I did in the last 2 weeks), when you have the tools to help (I built mine) and when you have the text to replace with (I now have monsters, skills and traits thanks to you and others here).

The structure of the game seems to be in "Files". There's one file for "Monsters names", one for "Skills Names", one for traits, etc. After the name, there's a couple of little values and one of those values is the number of bytes for this "file". I tried to change this value to have more space, but it doesn't work yet. So it would require to do more hacking job than this. However, I think it would be doable and it would help a lot. There are a lot of places where the space is filled with blank space, which should be reusable.

It's only that I cannot do it with my current (lack of) asm knowledge.

I agree that it would be madness if the game doesn't get in english. I still think it will come here, and my project will stop when it will, but I do not want to wait to be able to play...
There's a bunch of stuff I would be able to dump in japanese form so that it can be translated.
I'm not at this point for now, but it would not be hard to export.

The script won't be too much of a problem. Once the rough Google-translated text is added to the Wiki, people can go edit it in bulk.

Well, google-translated text has it's limits, and I don't have 100% of the alphabet decoded, so text is harder to translate than lists.

After the crash, when the guy at the bottom of the airship see's you and come at you, here's what he says (google translation):
- Oh!? Remaining <Hero name>! Good ...? And I wanted to come!
- ... Huh? A'm awfully indifferent to. You (?) Or we have become such a problem?

Basically, I don't really understand much of what he says, the expressions speak more than the text.

That won't prevent me from putting it in the wiki, but I don't think it will be that easy to translate (well, it wouldn't be for me).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 Spikan

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,951 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4255-6430-7375
  • Interests:Drawing, Gaming, Dragon Quest, Blue Dragon, Anime, Drawing, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun, Skies of Arcadia, RPG Maker VX, Dragon Ball series
  • Tag City:Hillsborough
  • Tag State:North Carolina
  • Tag Country:United States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

I could totally be a beta tester, I had my computer scrubbed clean of everything a couple of days ago so I'll have to redownload DesMuMe.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#37 SOuimet

• Sword Slinger

• 262 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

I made a quick patch for skills, so it can be beta tested.
I'll try to do a quick test with traits tonight.
From what I noticed, ss14hero, Emptystar and ethanej seems to be willing or are already testing or using the first patch.

I don't know if I should release the patches links directly or through PM.

King Zenith raised a valid concern that if the patch is successful, it might lower our chances of a true english version of the game.
Squenix is big enough not to care about such small attempt, but we did wait a couple of years before having dq5 and dq6 here.
I don't want to put wood in the fire if they are unsure about the english release.

Still, I don't want to do stuff underground either.
I do it for me, but want to share it.
Actually, for me, the challenge is more to make something online for others, than it is to translate parts of the game.

Latest version: Have some traits translated also with patch 1D.

Note to beta testers, the patch is on the wiki's translation.

Edited by SOuimet, 28 April 2011 - 08:34 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,457 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

Cool, thanks for this. I'll try to do some beta testing if I get a chance as well. Do you apply the patch to a cleanly dumped ROM or to an already AP patched ROM?

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.png DQMW_hdpi.png foot_dq1.png foot_dq2.png foot_dq3.png icon.png

PrinceofCannock1-1.pngTrauminate_IMG-3.pngBianca.png

#39 Emptystar

• Sword Slinger

• 295 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

King Zenith raised a valid concern that if the patch is successful, it might lower our chances of a true english version of the game.
Squenix is big enough not to care about such small attempt, but we did wait a couple of years before having dq5 and dq6 here.
I don't want to put wood in the fire if they are unsure about the english release.

Still, I don't want to do stuff underground either.
I do it for me, but want to share it.
Actually, for me, the challenge is more to make something online for others, than it is to translate parts of the game.

If they're so unsure about releasing it, then it's really their own fault. They had their chance. If anything, hopefully it'll teach them not to be so indecisive about such a big title.
And if they really are on board with releasing it, then there's no stopping them, so don't worry.
=p

That being said, if you really are worried about this getting in the way of a real release, I think you should market the ROM as a sort of "partial translation" and keep it a bit on the down-low until you work out a fully translated script, and by then, Square will hopefully've made a decision about an actual release by then.

So, regardless, imo keep the translation going.

Edited by Emptystar, 29 April 2011 - 02:07 PM.

#40 SOuimet

• Sword Slinger

• 262 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

Cool, thanks for this. I'll try to do some beta testing if I get a chance as well. Do you apply the patch to a cleanly dumped ROM or to an already AP patched ROM?

Thanks for the help. I created all patches from the original.
Any patch can be standalone and if someone comes along, he won't have to apply a couple of patches to get working.

Btw, I think I found most of the text offsets in the game, they're all bunched up together in the same format, and one after the other, cleanly. It's almost as if they were making it easy to be translated or for future development. I'm still unsure (I'll check tonight) if the game script is in those sections or somewhere else, but I found most stuff, including menu, skills help, maps, locations, etc.

Question to everybody, how should we proceed to translate remaining stuff (Items, Menu, skills help, etc.) ?
I can put dummy values, easily identifiable, like numbers or easy text.
Then, it would be easier to tell "Skill #1024" = "Frizz" or something like that, instead of trying to find on keyboard how to type "メラ".
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users