• Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,457 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

Oh damn, it wasn't MGR. Sorry about that old buddy.

Have you figured out who it was then?

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.png DQMW_hdpi.png foot_dq1.png foot_dq2.png foot_dq3.png icon.png

PrinceofCannock1-1.pngTrauminate_IMG-3.pngBianca.png

#22 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,054 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Do I need to get into you discussing disgusting sexual innuendo while 14 year olds were in the channel?

...Sean Long?

Spoiler

ETA: This was a build long before I hopped on.

Edited by Dwaine, 28 December 2010 - 12:39 PM.

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#23 RotoLoto

• Head Hunter

• 501 posts
  • Interests:Chillin, video games, tv, books, walks

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

Do I need to get into you discussing disgusting sexual innuendo while 14 year olds were in the channel?

...Sean Long?

Spoiler

ETA: This was a build long before I hopped on.

Care to elaborate?
"You consider that to be important?" asked Inspector Gregory.
"Exceedingly so."
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

#24 Chesskid1

• Slime Slayer

• 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

i have nothing to do with this patch, found it on a rom translation site posted by the user TheGrinch and posted in here. cool forum drama though i guess? i saw a few fan translations posted on here and i thought i would post this one up, i will remove it i guess.

Edited by Chesskid1, 28 December 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#25 redneckpride4ever

• Monster Masher

• 777 posts
  • Interests:DQ (obviously), beer, guns, WWE, money, Big D's Redneck Minute on Youtube, fishing, Monster Jam

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

i have nothing to do with this patch, found it on a rom translation site posted by the user TheGrinch and posted in here. cool forum drama though i guess? i saw a few fan translations posted on here and i thought i would post this one up, i will remove it i guess.

How long ago did you discover the patch? And have you used it at all? And what website did you come across it at? Megaupload?

Black muddy river/roll on forever
I don't care how deep or wide,
If you got another side.
Roll, muddy river.
Roll, muddy river.
Black muddy river, roll.-

The Grateful Dead

#26 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,457 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for taking that down. I have seen that several other forums have threads about this now too, but we don't really want to add to that.

Although it's not a written rule, we tend to only post ROMS or fan-translations for games that have hit the secondary market or are definitely not going to be localized in English. The idea there is that we don't want to take money out of the pocket of Square-Enix. We'd like them to keep making DQ games, so we try not to do things that might hurt their bottom line.

Regarding this translation, I think it also touched a nerve here because the development team are members of this site and they did not intend for this incomplete beta patch to be released. The localization happens in phases, beginning with a fairly direct and literal translation. After that, someone has to go through it to edit it and add more characterization and flavor. If people mistake a leaked beta patch for a complete one, it doesn't leave people with a very good impression of the hackers and translators.

Numerous updates have been made to the script since that beta patch. Some bugs are present in the patch as well that have since been ironed out. Notably, you might experience difficulty in deleting an old adventure log for instance.

I don't have a lot of respect for someone who would violate the trust of the hard working team that made this patch. I also think it was poor judgement to pass it around this close to the release of the official localization.

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.png DQMW_hdpi.png foot_dq1.png foot_dq2.png foot_dq3.png icon.png

#27 Fates

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,913 posts
  • Tag City:Baltimore
  • Tag State:MD

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

I also think it was poor judgement to pass it around this close to the release of the official localization.

I have a feeling that was intentional...

#28 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,457 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

I also think it was poor judgement to pass it around this close to the release of the official localization.

Do you mean that whoever did this is wanting to hurt the sales of the official release? Or do you think they thought that leaking this early would just arouse more interest and thus help sales?

Or perhaps you mean something else. Sorry, I wasn't clear on your meaning here.

#29 Lothis

• Sword Slinger

• 364 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft, Archery, Swimming, Playing Golf, Alabama Football, Video Games, and Anime

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

As hard as some people worked towards seeing a US release of DQVI, such as redneckpride4ever, it's easy to see why something like this less than 2 months before its release would cause some tempers to flare. I also agree that this getting circulated right before release is in poor taste and no matter the reason for the leak and circulation, the only thing its going to hurt in the end is Dragon Quest localizations in the future.

Well... I'm going to remain optimistic and say the damage this does will probably be minimal. I'm sure the people who will get their hands on it are only the people who were either 100% going to pirate it or 100% going to buy it either way. Perhaps the facebook group should step up its efforts to get people to pre-order it as an effort to counteract this.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks to King Zenith for the rendered character images.
Check out my Let's Play series at http://www.youtube.com/MysticShadow73
Current series: Dragon Quest V (PS2 Version)

#30 redneckpride4ever

• Monster Masher

• 777 posts
  • Interests:DQ (obviously), beer, guns, WWE, money, Big D's Redneck Minute on Youtube, fishing, Monster Jam

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

I just announced via the facebook page for everyone to pre-order this due to above issues. We want more DQ in the years to come!

Black muddy river/roll on forever
I don't care how deep or wide,
If you got another side.
Roll, muddy river.
Roll, muddy river.
Black muddy river, roll.-

The Grateful Dead

#31 FencingFoxFTW

• Avid Alchemist

• 232 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

Same dude posted it at gbatemp. I'm pretty sure you can go there and ask for removal.

Anyway, I dont think an incomplete patch will hurt sales. To the contrary, it's a good way to whet the appetite until realease day. People who just want to play a translated rom will just download the english one when it becomes available. People who want to buy it will buy it even if they have flash carts.

Hopefully Ninty will give this game some good publicity as they did with IX.

#32 Chesskid1

• Slime Slayer

• 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

yeah, you guys bring up some good points about why or why not this should be posted.

imo the only people who can even use this patch are people with flash cards, and we know people who have flash cards use it mostly for you know what (a very small percentage use for homebrew), so like someone said the person who is using the patch is really hardcore DQ fan and will buy the US version or is a pirate.

i figured since this is a hardcore dragon quest site there were prolly people who imported it and would appreciate this patch, i didn't know so many would be against it.

also, i doubt this release is coincidence. from what i've read, this patch is completed all the way to when you collect all of the legendary arms. i've never played DQ6 but i'm told this is very near to the end of the game so this patch has been worked on a long time. probably some annoyed fan working on his translation for months (since nintendo took so long to localize then) then nintendo announced they are localizing so he spite releases it for his work isn't in vain.

Edited by Chesskid1, 28 December 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#33 FencingFoxFTW

• Avid Alchemist

• 232 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

yeah but I dont think that's the issue

The issue is this patch wasnt made by "The Grinch". It was made by a forum member and it's a preliminary version.

#34 Fates

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,913 posts
  • Tag City:Baltimore
  • Tag State:MD

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:58 PM

Do you mean that whoever did this is wanting to hurt the sales of the official release? Or do you think they thought that leaking this early would just arouse more interest and thus help sales?

Or perhaps you mean something else. Sorry, I wasn't clear on your meaning here.

I dunno, just have a feeling whoever did this knew what effects it could have prior to release and did it to troll everyone.

Nintendo's been really protective with things. They even threatened websites that were posting screenshots of Pokemon Black and White. This site could easily get hammered by Nintendo for something like that.

Or I can take the tinfoil hat off and it could be something as simple as someone slipping and the patch getting out accidently.

#35 Lothis

• Sword Slinger

• 364 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft, Archery, Swimming, Playing Golf, Alabama Football, Video Games, and Anime

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:32 AM

Whoever this "TheGrinch" guy is, he's definitely claiming it as purely his own work and he seems awfully smug. He posted this in a thread about the patch at gbatemp.net:

Hello, gentle readers.

1. I've seen some mob-mentality and misinformation in the past week, and normally I wouldn't care, but it seems to be confusing people. I'll leave a few remarks about this translation patch here in this thread only.
I find it hilarious that I've been accused of plagiarizing my own translation. Yes, it is all my translation since the time I first started it in February as a personal challenge. This patch was worked on by two people, myself (translation) and a friend (hacker). Anything else you read is hearsay and misinformation.
2. Don't assume the contents of the translation if you haven't played it. There are 0 main script lines, ~80 party chat lines, and ~13 system text lines missing. What I mean by "certain point" is that I haven't gone over it in a long time with my own eyes, but the game is fully playable to the very end.
3. A critic playtested the patch in a far worse condition a month or so ago, and very much enjoyed the translation, but I am a bit embarrassed to have released it to that person at that point.
4. North American/European players may be confused by certain nuances, tropes, and personalities in the DS version of Dragon Quest VI: 幻の大地 (maboroshi no daichi). The translation should encourage discussion and broader understanding of the content of the Japanese DS game. It is not meant as a replacement for Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation.
5. Since I'm now posting I guess I'll try to answer questions people have about words, names, etc... when I have time. On the other hand, maybe not.

Perhaps it should be noted that this guy has a single post there, but it may be unimportant.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks to King Zenith for the rendered character images.
Check out my Let's Play series at http://www.youtube.com/MysticShadow73
Current series: Dragon Quest V (PS2 Version)

#36 jvboytheman

• Metal Master

• 1,146 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, RPGs/MMOs, Biology, Medicine, Hot Girls, Football and Basketball.
  • Tag Country:Philippines

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:05 AM

So according to TheGrinch, it was all his work eh?

Hmm...
Dragon Quest is the bomb!
Yes, it's the greatest RPG. XD

#37 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,054 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

I dunno, nobody translates a tome like that to open a dialogue.

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#38 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,457 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

I guess I can download the patch and compare the translations. I wish Tom were around, I'd like to hear his take on this.

#39 Treyvan

• Slime Slayer

• 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

I think its rather shady that someone with access to that beta patch would pass it around outside of the testing team to people who apparently can't be trusted and want to claim the work for themselves. Hopefully you guys will be able to find out who the culprit is and get this guy discredited and shown to be a thief.

#40 Chesskid1

• Slime Slayer

• 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

whys it so hard to believe he did it himself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users