16 replies to this topic

#1 PantheonSasuke

• Metal Master

• 1,005 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4169-7228-4456
  • Interests:Cheesecake
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:51 PM

Back on November 24th the wiki's mainpage discussion got a message from a representative of NIWA. Having been a regular visitor of Bulbapedia, I usually spotted news articles indicating that more and more Nintendo relevant wikis were joining up.

Seeing as how it's already been over a week since the message, they probably think it's been ignored, unless one of the higher-ups had already gone ahead to message them back. That aside, while it seems like a nice offer and all, would Dragon Quest really fit in? While the series had its start with Nintendo's aid and has currently been featured on their systems and such, it can't be ignored that a good number of the games have been on other systems, such as the Playstation and Playstation 2. As such, I wouldn't call Dragon Quest a Nintendo-only franchise, like many, if not all, of the other series with wiki-followings that joined NIWA.

I mean, I don't think we'd have anything to lose, unless the alliance would mean cutting out all non-Nintendo related bits, but that'd be kinda extreme and doesn't seem like something that'd be requested. Then again, I'm a pretty uninformed guy, so I might be missing some key bit of info that might make things needlessly rough.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to get that out there. It didn't seem like the message was getting much attention, but I kept thinking about it, so yeah :P

#2 RotoLoto

• Head Hunter

• 501 posts
  • Interests:Chillin, video games, tv, books, walks

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

If this happens, Dragon Quest has a spot in the next Smash Bros. game.
"You consider that to be important?" asked Inspector Gregory.
"Exceedingly so."
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

#3 SilverCrono

• Slime Slayer

• 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

I think joining NIWA would be great. We could maybe get some more users and be amongst allied wikis, instead of a lone wiki with little chance of being noticed by a bystander. Many people visiting NIWA might notice us and be intrigued. It could quite possibly work in our favor.

So, yeah, I'm in a positive favor to joining NIWA.

#4 Woodus

• Admin
  • Dragon Warrior

• 12,711 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4856-9117-4181
  • Interests:Dragon Warrior, Games, RPGs, RTSs, Golfing, Boating, Web Design ...
  • Tag City:Ankeny
  • Tag State:Iowa
  • Tag Zip:50021
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

It sounds like a good concept, I would be curious what the rules for includement are, and does the WIKI move onto their servers?

woodus_bar.png skbar1.png
firefox_bar.png linkdir_bar.png
amazon_bar.png astore_bar.png
dq8_talk3.gif ice_on_grass_2x.gif dq73ds_loading_slime.gif

#5 SilverCrono

• Slime Slayer

• 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

I'm not an expert, but I believe we are just affiliated with them. I'm not sure if any extra moving is neccessary.

#6 FlyingRagnar

• Sword Slinger

• 389 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Zelda

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

Apologies for not noticing and addressing this topic sooner. Kudos to Pantheon for being on top of things where I have not been lately.

I think NIWA is a good idea. From my understanding, all sites remain in complete control of their original owners. I believe the only thing requested in cooperation and support for the other NIWA sites. Really a win-win situation for a wiki site like ours.

As has been mentioned, Dragon Quest is not a Nintendo owned or exclusive series. However, since 2005 Dragon Quest has been more or less exclusive to Nintendo. Aside from its brief stint with Sony, almost all Dragon Quest games have had a release on a Nintendo system. This will certainly continue in the future with both Dragon Quest X to be released on Wii and another title rumored for the 3DS in addition to any Joker titles. The fact that Nintendo published IX and will publish VI also strengthens their relationship.

In light of these things, I think membership as part of NIWA would be a positive. If you believe otherwise please share your thoughts in this thread.

Visit the Dragon Quest Wiki!

FlyingRagnar's YouTube channel
Dragon Quest: NES SNES GBC
Dragon Quest II: NES
Dragon Quest III: NES SNES
Dragon Quest IV: NES
Dragon Quest V: SNES

Dragon Quest IX: DS

#7 FlyingRagnar

• Sword Slinger

• 389 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

I have begun discussions with folks over at NIWA just to get more information and to meet them. You can view all discussion here:

http://www.niwanetwo...p?topic=320.140

#8 FlyingRagnar

• Sword Slinger

• 389 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

I'm planning on starting formal discussions to join NIWA soon. My only concern is the lack of editors lately. It has basically be Zenithian, myself, and Vzing for the past month or so.

#9 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,016 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

You can all be straight outta Compton!

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#10 FlyingRagnar

• Sword Slinger

• 389 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

I don't think I'm quite as keen to join NIWA as I was a few months ago. Several things have happened to make me feel this way.

1. Axomist, the guy who messaged us about NIWA back in January, passed away earlier this year. Major bummer. He seemed like a cool dude. He was the only one that I really had strong contact with at NIWA. Since then, conversation has been light.

2. The NIWA forums are not heavily used. The NIWA IRC channel is empty almost always. I just don't see a lot of communication going on. The only benefit to our joining would really be that we would get added to link banners that already have links to 10 other wikis.

3. SEIWA started up just a month or so ago (seiwanetwork.org). I've felt mostly the same about them. Seems to be very little organization and activity in forums and IRC channels.

So, yeah. I just don't see major benefits for us in any real tangible way. Maybe we should just start DQIWA.

#11 eal

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,440 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

I think NIWA would be a good idea because several popular wikis would be promoting DQ wiki. But that's you're right. That's the only real benefit.

Also, to be fair, SEIWA did just start up. Their website looks terrible.
There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
- Hamlet, Act II Scene ii

#12 Vzing

• Slime Slayer

• 13 posts
  • Interests:yare yare daze.
  • Tag City:Boston

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

I think it would be better if we merge with SEIWA after Dragon Quest Wiki is perfected (etc. cleaning up images, combating spam and improving on articles about monsters). Y'know?

Edit:
Nvm this, saw Flying's post.

Edited by Vzing, 24 September 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#13 Vzing

• Slime Slayer

• 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

BTW, Flying, despite you banning editing to unconfirmed users, you also banned editing to confirmed users ( :P ). I can't even edit your talk page.

And didn't I say... that you shouldn't ban unconfirmed users from editing? :)

#14 FlyingRagnar

• Sword Slinger

• 389 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

The issue with editing has been fixed. You must confirm an email address in order to edit now, which is pretty standard I think. Also, the recent spammer issue has been taken care of as well.

#15 Vzing

• Slime Slayer

• 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

I hope there will be a time where IP addresses can edit again. Most of the editors in Dragon Quest Wikia were IP addresses y'know? Anyhow, I think you shouldn't ban IP addresses from editing talk pages (especially user talk pages).

And assuming the spammers are done and over with, is there really a point in banning IP addresses from editing right now?

#16 FlyingRagnar

• Sword Slinger

• 389 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

I've started talks with NIWA again to see about possibly joining. I guess it can't do anything except help us. There aren't really any responsibilities after joining. SEIWA we will wait and see how it goes.

#17 FlyingRagnar

• Sword Slinger

• 389 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

I had some discussions tonight in IRC chat with SEIWA folks. They have offered for our wiki to join. Based on the conversation in this thread, it seems like it could be a positive. At worst, it does us no harm to join. I will post any updates when I get them. For those interested the SEIWA IRC channel is hosted on freenode and is #SEIWA. This is where the Kingdom Hearts Wiki has their chat as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users