#1 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts
  • Tag City:Monroe
  • Tag State:NJ
  • Tag Zip:08831
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

As some people know, I've been playing the PSX remake of DQM1/2. I just ran into a big issue.

I want to create a Serpentia is part of a breeding tree into Esturk. The Breeding Search List says that Serpentia = GreatDrak + Lionex, Skeletor, or Octoraid. I created a GreatDrak and a Skeletor. When I go to breed them, I get a Poisongon. Does anyone know any reasoning for this, beyond the slim possibility that they changed the breeding combination?

GreatDrak is +8, bred from another GreatDrak + a Swordgon (Wanted the skills from the Swordgon on the GD and I needed to change its gender). Level 31.
Skeletor is +3, bred from a DeadNite + Golem. Level 27.

Playing: Dragon Quest Monsters II: Cobi's Journey

So, can anyone think of a reason besides them changing the breeding combination for why Serpentia will not result from the two monsters?

Edit: I don't think it's a mistake in the Breeding Chart either. Everything I can find about the breeding combinations say that GreatDrak+Skeletor SHOULD make Serpentia.

Edited by Polantaris, 23 October 2010 - 11:14 PM.

It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime! I am the true face of evil!!! - Luca Blight's dying words (Suikoden II)
Posted Image

#2 Bynine

• Head Hunter

• 509 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4942-8734-9739
  • Interests:Well, I like drawing.

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

Try Lionex or Octoraid instead of Skeletor. Other than that I can't help you.

#3 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:1163-2955-0100

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

Order is important in DWM2. Dragon+zombie=poisongon but Zombie+dragon doesn't.
Why yes, I do play Star Trek Online.
If you like 4x games go here: FreeOrion
DWM2 Rules!!!
View the Dragon Lord's Minions
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

According to everything I can see, GreatDrak is the base Monster.

I will try OctoRaid or Lionex eventually, the reason I haven't is because I put a lot of work into getting the monsters I want, their abilities, etc, into the monsters, and getting that Skeletor into an Octoraid and Lionex is a lot more effort than it should be to get the Serpentia given that the Skeletor SHOULD work.

Serpentia is a Dragon, is it not? That means the GreatDrak should be first, but I can try putting the Skeletor first but I don't expect it to work.

Edit: Skeletor + GreatDrak gives me WhiteKing instead, as I suspected because Skeletor is a Zombie, but GreatDrak + Skeletor won't give Serpentia. They must have removed that combo or changed it.

Edited by Polantaris, 24 October 2010 - 01:50 PM.

It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime! I am the true face of evil!!! - Luca Blight's dying words (Suikoden II)
Posted Image

#5 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

hmm.... This is peculiar. I checked Yash's site for verification and it has the same data. Try a Servant or white king instead. I can't seem to find anything on the net about this one. I'm 90% sure the data used on the site is copied from the guidebook. As I mentioned elsewhere the guidebook had a lot of errors in the breeding data.

EDIT: you can turn the skeletor into a Lionex by breeding an Arcdemon with it.

Edited by marhawkman, 24 October 2010 - 03:12 PM.

DWM2 Rules!!!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Yeah I was going to try that once I make this Divinegon I've been working on (Have no farm space XD). Once I make the Divinegon I'll make the Lionex and try it out and see what happens. I hope the formula isn't completely changed because I don't know what to do if that doesn't work either.
Posted Image

#7 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

GreatDrak + Lionex = ....BattleRex. What the $#!&? Excuse my language but this is getting a tad annoying. If it doesn't work with OctoRaid I don't know what I'm gonna do to get it.

Contemplation for a second here: Maybe it's a typo, and by GreatDrak it means GigaDraco.
Does anyone have a Save game for the GBC version with a complete Library? Maybe I can look it up and see what in the GBC version it says. Every other part of the game has been right with these guides, I can't see why they would change ONE monster.

Edited by Polantaris, 24 October 2010 - 05:32 PM.

Posted Image

#8 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,865 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

GreatDrak + Lionex = ....BattleRex. What the $#!&? Excuse my language but this is getting a tad annoying. If it doesn't work with OctoRaid I don't know what I'm gonna do to get it.

Contemplation for a second here: Maybe it's a typo, and by GreatDrak it means GigaDraco.
Does anyone have a Save game for the GBC version with a complete Library? Maybe I can look it up and see what in the GBC version it says. Every other part of the game has been right with these guides, I can't see why they would change ONE monster.

I've got one. I can send it to you tomorrow.

Jessica_Clean_Sig.png   Bianca_Clean_Sig.png                Yangus_Clean_Sig.pngMarquis_De_Leon_Clean_Sig.png

#9 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

Is it Cobi or Tara? I would perfer Cobi if you have it, as that's what I'm playing. Want to make sure there's no obscure change because of the different versions or anything.

Regardless, I appreciate any help you can give on the situation.

Perhaps DQM1 does have access to all the monsters...I'm unsure now. This is the breed I tried on DQM1 when I decided to stop playing, I assumed it was because Serpentia was a DQM2 monster.

Edited by Polantaris, 24 October 2010 - 09:56 PM.

Posted Image

#10 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,865 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

Is it Cobi or Tara? I would perfer Cobi if you have it, as that's what I'm playing. Want to make sure there's no obscure change because of the different versions or anything.

Regardless, I appreciate any help you can give on the situation.

Perhaps DQM1 does have access to all the monsters...I'm unsure now. This is the breed I tried on DQM1 when I decided to stop playing, I assumed it was because Serpentia was a DQM2 monster.

It's the Cobi version. Here's the save file. This is the Serpentia entry in the library:

Posted Image

So, nothing much new there. I'm not sure what could be going wrong here. I don't think there are any hidden requirements for this breed to succeed.

As to the availability of monsters in DQM1, I'm pretty sure the monsters in DQM1 and DQM2 have been left in tact. I wouldn't expect the monsters from 2 to have been added into 1. I do know that there were some special codes available to unlock the special monsters from DQM2 (Lamia, Kagebou and Dimensaur). I understand these codes were given to you if did something with your cell phone. I don't remember exactly how that worked.

If Serpentia still isn't working for you, maybe they added a code requirement for that monster or maybe you now need to breed it in Terry Mode or something... I really don't know.

Good luck.

Jessica_Clean_Sig.png   Bianca_Clean_Sig.png                Yangus_Clean_Sig.pngMarquis_De_Leon_Clean_Sig.png

#11 GrandAlchemist

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,636 posts
  • Interests:Video games, playing guitar, listening to music, anime, hating work, goofing off.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

Just for certainty's sake I tested out the GreatDrak+Lionex thing on Cobi's Journey GBC and...

Posted Image

It's absolutely correct. Don't know what's up with the PS1 version. :-/

Posted Image

#12 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

It has to be a bug at this point, or something weird that they added in the PSX version. I did all three combos, just did GreatDrak + Octoraid, and got a Drygon.

I don't remember what Terry Mode is, to be honest. Care to fill me in?

When I was reading guides the other day, it said that in Terry Mode, you can only get DWM1 monsters from any breeds that include a DWM1 monster. Since GreatDrak AND Skeletor are both in DWM1, there's no way that Terry Mode will do it now that I think of it.

Also, as another weird occurance, Kameha is missing ever since I finished the game, and I cannot fight him to get the key he gives you when you get 50 monsters. I have 53, and he's no where to be seen.

I might give that GigaDraco theory a chance. Make a new save game and try it out. It's far-fetched, I know, but their names are pretty similar in game, maybe they originally messed up and now they fixed it in the PSX...I don't know.

Edited by Polantaris, 25 October 2010 - 10:25 AM.

Posted Image

#13 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,865 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

It has to be a bug at this point, or something weird that they added in the PSX version. I did all three combos, just did GreatDrak + Octoraid, and got a Drygon.

I don't remember what Terry Mode is, to be honest. Care to fill me in?

When I was reading guides the other day, it said that in Terry Mode, you can only get DWM1 monsters from any breeds that include a DWM1 monster. Since GreatDrak AND Skeletor are both in DWM1, there's no way that Terry Mode will do it now that I think of it.

Also, as another weird occurance, Kameha is missing ever since I finished the game, and I cannot fight him to get the key he gives you when you get 50 monsters. I have 53, and he's no where to be seen.

Terry Mode is where you can breed with monsters from DWM1. I'm assuming that there is some method to facilitate this if you have save files for both DQM1 and DQM2 on the same memory card. I'm also assuming that the trading of the brawn, baffle and soul keys work too (between Tara and Cobi PSX versions).

#14 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

I remember when I was messing with some of the Main Menu options, the fourth one never works no matter what I did when I only had a DQM1 save. Maybe it's the Multiple Game trading system, where if I use a Cobi + Tara I can trade Keys, and if I do Terry + Cobi/Tara, I can do Terry Mode. I'll test it out later.

I know the fifth is the cell-phone stuff, so I can't touch it at all (Typed it into Google Translator).

Edited by Polantaris, 25 October 2010 - 10:28 AM.

Posted Image

#15 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

You might have screwed up your game. :(
DWM2 Rules!!!

#16 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

This is odd...I wonder if Gender matters in some breeds now.

I made a DeadNoble in intention of breeding it with my Maxed out Kingslime to get a WhiteKing. DeadNobleF + KingSlimeM doesn't work, HOWEVER, DeadNobleM + SpotKingF does. I almost want to make a secondary save and turn my KingSlime into a Female and see if that works now. If it does...that could mean because my GreatDrak is a Female, it isn't working.

Edit: Okay, it didn't work still, so DeadNoble + Kingslime doesn't work at all. So I still have no idea why Serpentia doesn't work outside of the slim chance of a bug or the more likely chance that they changed it.

Edited by Polantaris, 25 October 2010 - 09:21 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Wes

• Monster Masher

• 773 posts
  • Interests:video games, music

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

Well, Serpentias can be found in Sky World, but I forget which version. Of course, I haven't played the PS version.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spotslime tries to call for help, but not enough MP!
Wesley manages to steal a lump of horse manure!
Cannibox drops a treasure chest!

http://www.helpineed...ed/purpose.html

Posted Image
"Don't try to stop me, Andy. I'm gonna do it this time! Seriously!"

#18 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

Must be Tara, or it's rare on Cobi. There's an NPC of it, but that's about it, that I saw when I did Sky World. I suppose I can re-check where I saw the NPC.
Posted Image

#19 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:16 PM

Sky world has a bunch of rarespawns that only live in certain spots. Like Metalys....

check this out: http://tiger3k.com/y...m-breeding.html

Deadnoble+Kingslime should work.... what was the + of the result when you tried it?
DWM2 Rules!!!

#20 Polantaris

• Avid Alchemist

• 225 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

I don't remember. I saw it wasn't ?s, and I knew it wasn't WhiteKing. I remember hitting WhiteKing when I tested out Skeletor+GreatDrak a few days ago, so I knew WhiteKing was ?s. When I didn't see them, I just went "God damnit!" and tried SpotKing anyway out of curiosity, which worked correctly.

It was probably Zombie+Slime. I remember the actual look of the name, just not what it actually was, so I can try again and see if that was what it was. All the missing breed combinations seem to give the basic breed. Dragon + Zombie, Dragon + Water, Dragon + Beast, etc. Nothing new or special =/

Edited by Polantaris, 26 October 2010 - 07:34 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users