• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:1163-2955-0100
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Seee... I've played several games before these, and well.... fan translations aren't that great. They tend to be overly literal. Especially when translated by people who aren't native speakers.

I mean really.... A lot of puns don't translate properly. The english version is full of puns because the Japanese version is too. I'm sure that the Japanese puns are just as groan inducing. :P
Why yes, I do play Star Trek Online.
If you like 4x games go here: FreeOrion
DWM2 Rules!!!
View the Dragon Lord's Minions
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#42 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 7,106 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

Seee... I've played several games before these, and well.... fan translations aren't that great. They tend to be overly literal. Especially when translated by people who aren't native speakers.

Posted Image

I mean really.... A lot of puns don't translate properly. The english version is full of puns because the Japanese version is too. I'm sure that the Japanese puns are just as groan inducing. :P

No, actually. That's something touted by the press and newcomers. If you listen to the 8-4 podcast (and by God, only listen to that one and jump to the halfway point) Honeywood said that they went in a different direction to amp up the humor. While the originals are still light-hearted, every item and name isn't a play on something. Take DQ V's Uptaten Towers. It's originally Castle Lenoule, sometimes translated as Lenoir/Renoir. It's a fun little tale, sure, but it's played straight as a kingdom that befell a tragic fate.

Edited by Dwaine, 12 November 2011 - 12:38 AM.

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#43 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hunh, hadn't seen that. Even so, it's not that bad.
DWM2 Rules!!!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#44 Safis

• Sword Slinger

• 377 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

No, actually. That's something touted by the press and newcomers. If you listen to the 8-4 podcast (and by God, only listen to that one and jump to the halfway point) Honeywood said that they went in a different direction to amp up the humor. While the originals are still light-hearted, every item and name isn't a play on something. Take DQ V's Uptaten Towers. It's originally Castle Lenoule, sometimes translated as Lenoir/Renoir. It's a fun little tale, sure, but it's played straight as a kingdom that befell a tragic fate.

Exactly. Yes, the Japanese scripts have a light-hearted humour to them, like you say. But they are not filled with horrible puns like the new English translations. It's an entirely different kind of humour, and can still be taken seriously. I understand that some people appreciate the style they decided to go with for the new translations, but having been a Dragon Quest fan since the original game came out on the NES, that is not what Dragon Quest is to me. The very same game can give two quite different feelings, depending on the translation.

For example, I played through Dragon Quest IX in Japanese. I have never personally played the English version, but there has been an abundance of discussion of it on this forum, complete with quotes, screenshots, and the like. The impression I get is that it is a very fun, quirky, sugary sort of experience. The original Japanese script, on the other hand, was a little silly at times and portrayed different characters' eccentricities in the way they talked, but it still presented it in a much more believable way. Honestly, I think the game was easier to understand, because the names for characters, monsters, locations, and items, as well as accolades were more direct and told you what it was instead of bending this way and that to include a joke every time.
Dragon Quest Collection:
Dragon Quest I, II, III, IV (Famicom)
Dragon Quest III, V, VI (Super Famicom)
Dragon Warrior I.II, III (Gameboy Color)
Dragon Quest IV (PlayStation)
Dragon Warrior VII (PlayStation)
Dragon Quest V, VIII (PlayStation 2) (J)
Dragon Quest IX (Nintendo DS) (J)
Dragon Warrior Monsters, DWM 2: Cobi's Journey (Gameboy Color)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Nintendo DS) (U/C)
Torneko no Daibouken (Super Famicom)

Still Wanting:
Dragon Quest I.II (Super Famicom)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (Gameboy Advance)
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 (DS)

Posted Image

#45 Stepchan

• Slayer of Psaro

• 3,148 posts
  • Interests:Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Anime, Nirvana and song parodies.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

I can't believe I didn't get this one, as I've heard part of the song before...

Technicolour Dreamcloth(as well as the Technicolor Tutu) is a reference to Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Posted Image

It took a crossover of it with My Little Pony for it to snap in my head.

Good lord,my bronies,come here.

Huh?

.... aaaaaand this is why I don't buy the English version of Dragon Quest games anymore.

Don't worry, the pony crap is just limited to here. It hasn't seeped its way into the games yet.

And it never will if they know what's good for 'em!

Well, I doubt they'll try to pander to the MLP fans in the DQ crowd regardless.

Team assemble!!!

Marisa-1.pngWoolen.pngStephen.pngDoropie.png

____ Marisa ________ Woolen ___ Stephen ____ Doropie ___

The future is in the past. Onwards Aoshima!

The Sylveons with the ribbons all say... Ay oh whey oh, ay oh whey oh... Walk like a Lilligant...

Man, boy! You down for the count now! DJ Boy, what you think you doin'?

#46 Vzing

• Slime Slayer

• 13 posts
  • Interests:yare yare daze.
  • Tag City:Boston

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

Honestly, I think the pun involving Patty and Sellma really references "Party" (what Patty manages) and "Sell" (what Sellma does). I may be wrong since I haven't played Dragon Quest IX for a while. I just don't think that Dragon Quest IX would refer to the Simpsons for puns.

#47 Megalosaro

• Rhone Ranger

• 2,049 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

I could be a double pun, Vzing. And I wouldn't doubt that they WOULD resort to Simpsons. That show is insanely popular.

#48 Quart20858

• Avid Alchemist

• 128 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3310-7273-3543
  • Interests:DS
    Minecraft
    The Legend of Zelda
    Monster Hunter
    Dragon Quest
    Pokémon
    RPGs
  • Tag City:Cleveland Heights
  • Tag State:Ohio
  • Tag Zip:44118
  • Tag Country:United States of America

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

Exactly. Yes, the Japanese scripts have a light-hearted humour to them, like you say. But they are not filled with horrible puns like the new English translations. It's an entirely different kind of humour, and can still be taken seriously. I understand that some people appreciate the style they decided to go with for the new translations, but having been a Dragon Quest fan since the original game came out on the NES, that is not what Dragon Quest is to me. The very same game can give two quite different feelings, depending on the translation.

For example, I played through Dragon Quest IX in Japanese. I have never personally played the English version, but there has been an abundance of discussion of it on this forum, complete with quotes, screenshots, and the like. The impression I get is that it is a very fun, quirky, sugary sort of experience. The original Japanese script, on the other hand, was a little silly at times and portrayed different characters' eccentricities in the way they talked, but it still presented it in a much more believable way. Honestly, I think the game was easier to understand, because the names for characters, monsters, locations, and items, as well as accolades were more direct and told you what it was instead of bending this way and that to include a joke every time.

i like the puns :)

#49 CoarseDragon

• Sword Slinger

• 456 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4427-6731-7698
  • Interests:JRPGs
  • Tag City:Coarsegold
  • Tag State:CA
  • Tag Zip:93614
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Puns are interesting in hind-sight but when playing I just don't think that way. I take it all at face value. Never occured to me that Patty and Selma could be from the Simpsons or any other play on words. Guess my years of playing Might and Magic taught me to just roll those right on by.
Posted Image

#50 RPG Wizard

• Metal Master

• 1,007 posts
  • Tag City:NYC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

I question the incentive to call the move "Disco Stew" if not to reference the Simpsons.

#51 King Considerate

• Savvy Seafarer

• 55 posts
  • Interests:Bacon, burgers, being a terrible person
  • Tag City:Belton
  • Tag State:Texas

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

I actually think Disco Stu himself is a pun, and Disco Stew relates to something entirely different, but it might be a Simpsons joke, yes.
Posted Image

What King Considerate wants you to think he is: Terrible Person Who Will Probably Bring About The End of All Things

What King Considerate Really Is: Nice Old Man

#52 King Considerate

• Savvy Seafarer

• 55 posts
  • Interests:Bacon, burgers, being a terrible person
  • Tag City:Belton
  • Tag State:Texas

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

I actually think Disco Stu himself is a pun, and Disco Stew relates to something entirely different, but it might be a Simpsons joke, yes.
Posted Image

What King Considerate wants you to think he is: Terrible Person Who Will Probably Bring About The End of All Things

What King Considerate Really Is: Nice Old Man

#53 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, there's an insanely large number of jokes related to Disco...
DWM2 Rules!!!

#54 Psychic

• Slime Slayer

• 20 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, photography, hanging w/friends, & generally causing a nuisance.
  • Tag State:California
  • Tag Country:United States

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

A Pratfall is when you land on your buttocks. Jona and the Whale. *chuckle*

Posted Image

#55 Ifooboo

• Savvy Seafarer

• 73 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:0905-5491-2635

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

I don't know if anyone mentioned AU1000, but I personally like this one. " Au " in the periodic table is " gold ", which is the color of AU1000.

#56 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:57 AM

It was so obvious I didn't think it was worth mentioning. :P
DWM2 Rules!!!

#57 Ruler12321

• Slime Slayer

• 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

Swinedimples Academy is Hogwarts. Swine=Hog, Dimples=Warts. i love this pun.

Yea I've always loved Harry Potter. I realized that almost right when I got to Swinedimples! :)

btw does anyone know how to make a picture of your dq9 guy's full body?

#58 Mario

• Sword Slinger

• 333 posts
  • Interests:Old things.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:43 AM

btw does anyone know how to make a picture of your dq9 guy's full body?

If you're referring to the 3D sprite rips like the one in my avatar. King_Zenith makes them upon request... If you ask nicely.

Back to the original disucssion, does Ivor's name bear any significance?
"Terry and Carver were lovers, and Milly liked to tease Nevan by giving him unwilling lap dances while he cried in shame."

~Liquid Metal Babble

#59 marhawkman

• Nokturnus' Nightmare

• 4,391 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

It sounds like both Igor and Ivan. those are often used slavic names.
DWM2 Rules!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users