• Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

The latest and greatest DS Emulator has just released a new version. Check it out.

I've given it a quick test drive and it seems to handle anything I throw at it. Very good for ripping sprites and other content. Sound and Video quality are excellent in my experience.

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.png DQMW_hdpi.png foot_dq1.png foot_dq2.png foot_dq3.png icon.png

PrinceofCannock1-1.pngTrauminate_IMG-3.pngBianca.png

#2 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, I think it is. The sounds and video quality are better than no$gba in my experience. Also, you don't get big slow-downs on the overworld map in DQIV, V and VI like you do with no$gba. Joker, Joker 2 and IX all seem to run well, although I haven't tested them too extensively.

An emulator that came close for a while was iDeaS, but I haven't seen any recent development. From my experience, DeSmuME has taken over top spot and held it for the last few updates.

Edited by King Zenith, 26 May 2010 - 03:25 PM.

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.png DQMW_hdpi.png foot_dq1.png foot_dq2.png foot_dq3.png icon.png

#3 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

I wonder if that's what EmiruKyasutaine used to film his complete DQ9 playthrough on YouTube. You can see Part 1 here.

It may well be. DeSmuME supports recording to AVI directly and an experimental branch even allows for re-recording support which is needed for making TAS videos.

#4 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

Does DeSmuME have cheat code support and a memory viewer/editor? One thing I like doing in Visual Boy Advance is tracking possible values in the memory editor and creating new cheat codes with them, which I can use to hack into my stats and inventory and have an easier time of ripping graphics and icons.

DQ9 is going to have unique 22x22 icons for every item, which I'm excited about. I'd love to have the opportunity to rip them all and send them to the Spriters Resource, but some items are unbelievably rare and I'd rather just hack them in to save time and energy.

Yep, it has very advanced tools for memory watch, register watch, as well as tile, map and palette viewers.

#5 Dwaine

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,847 posts
  • Interests:I like pretty dark haired women and breakfast food.
  • Tag City:Conroe Woodlands Spring Magnolia Tomball 1960
  • Tag State:TX

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

Fired this up today. Much faster than the previous release I was using. DQ VI and IX run almost at full speed.

Check out my Plus Alpha Translations interview at DQShrine.com!

Writing an article? Looking for a pic? Let me know! I've got tons of assets and restored artwork that haven't gone live yet. Now there's no excuse for sizing up a low res pic!

Want to 'like' me on Facebook? Go right ahead! I won't stop you. I've also got prints and t-shirts in my store!

I stream personal projects Monday-Friday from 4:30-5 PM CST. DQ/DQ Shrine stuff Tuesdays and Thursdays!

#6 xckx

• Avid Alchemist

• 212 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

An emulator that came close for a while was iDeaS, but I haven't seen any recent development. From my experience, DeSmuME has taken over top spot and held it for the last few updates.

Latest version for iDeaS is 1.0.3.5 Final released May 3, 2010. I haven't tried it yet to see if there were any improvements though.

http://ideasemu.biz/

#7 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:39 PM

Latest version for iDeaS is 1.0.3.5 Final released May 3, 2010. I haven't tried it yet to see if there were any improvements though.

http://ideasemu.biz/

Cool, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

#8 Botsu the Hero

• Sword Slinger

• 303 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:31 AM

How is DeSmuME's performance with DQIV DS? I tried starting it up just to try it out and it works fine at 60fps with the hero in the underground storage basement. Then, when I get to exploring the town, the frame rates drop considerably. Is this how it is when you tried it out? So far, graphically I was really impressed at how sharp the screen looks. But definitely not happy at the huge slowdown whenever there are multiple NPCs on the screen.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing: Rudra no Hiho (SNES)
Completed DQ games: DQ 1-4 NES; DQ I+II SNES, DQIII SNES, DQV SNES & PS2, DQVI SNES, DQVII PS1, DQVIII PS2, and DQIV & V & VI DS
Looking for: Metallic Monster gallery Goldman and Stoneman (FOUND)

#9 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

How is DeSmuME's performance with DQIV DS? I tried starting it up just to try it out and it works fine at 60fps with the hero in the underground storage basement. Then, when I get to exploring the town, the frame rates drop considerably. Is this how it is when you tried it out? So far, graphically I was really impressed at how sharp the screen looks. But definitely not happy at the huge slowdown whenever there are multiple NPCs on the screen.

I definitely don't experience anything like that. It runs full speed in towns, on the world map and in battles. Older versions weren't as good and no$gba has always had issues on the world map, but ever since 0.9.5, I haven't had speed issues.

#10 Bynine

• Head Hunter

• 509 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4942-8734-9739
  • Interests:Well, I like drawing.

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

Joker lags horribly.

#11 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Joker lags horribly.

Not for me. I guess it might depend on your system specs. What are you running?

#12 Yutaka

• Avid Alchemist

• 176 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Herb, Music, Drank, RPGS, interwebz, Boobs, boobs, dark caves.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

I absolutly love this emulator i used it to play DQ5 and DQ9 since i dont own a DS. Very little slow down i was impressed how well it handled DQ9. Joker only slows down a bit for me depending on how big the enviroments are that i come accross but even the slow downs arent that bad im running a pretty good system.

Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHZ 2.20 GHZ

4 GB ram

Nvidia HD card 128mb (not sure of the make or model since im to lazy to look but its something like 4700 or 4900)

Windows 7 premium 64 bit

Edited by Yutaka, 05 August 2010 - 04:04 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 DQ Chao284

• Sword Slinger

• 395 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

Well that is because of 3 factors,

1, your OS has to handle lots of video rendering and processing that sometimes other programs can interfere the game processing fast,
2, your video card would have to support graphics almost tops to PS2 quallity amd speed would require a faster(non AGP or PCI Video card)PCI-E would be required for near normal speed for the emulator plus have 48+ Mgea Pixels a second video card to render no flaws in the game speed or fast rendering,

Although the version of iDeas is able fully render the level 2 3D rendering graphics normally, but fails at fade and flashing output ablities(due to maxing out the video card capablities), and this is from a GeForce 4 AGP 4x video card that is connected to my mother board currently,

And 3 most important one, CPU is strictly 3GHZ+ or duo core CPUs would work best due to processing both screens and it's activities on it Hyper-Threading would speed it up x2, but the ARM ports of the DS would be 2x to 5x of the current clocking speed used on an emulator.

I know I maybe making a monkey of myself, but this is why it is diffcult to make PS2 and DS emulators.

#14 DQ Chao284

• Sword Slinger

• 395 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:21 AM

Joker lags horribly.

Not for me. I guess it might depend on your system specs. What are you running?

Strangely enough iDeas was able to render Joker pretty well let alone going about 25 to almost 40 FPS on my system, and normal DS's would render at 30 to 50 when using no second screen or is on limited movement it does well.

Edited by DQ Chao284, 10 August 2010 - 02:22 AM.

#15 Yutaka

• Avid Alchemist

• 176 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Herb, Music, Drank, RPGS, interwebz, Boobs, boobs, dark caves.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:29 AM

1, your OS has to handle lots of video rendering and processing that sometimes other programs can interfere the game processing fast,
2, your video card would have to support graphics almost tops to PS2 quallity amd speed would require a faster(non AGP or PCI Video card)PCI-E would be required for near normal speed for the emulator plus have 48+ Mgea Pixels a second video card to render no flaws in the game speed or fast rendering,

Although the version of iDeas is able fully render the level 2 3D rendering graphics normally, but fails at fade and flashing output ablities(due to maxing out the video card capablities), and this is from a GeForce 4 AGP 4x video card that is connected to my mother board currently,

And 3 most important one, CPU is strictly 3GHZ+ or duo core CPUs would work best due to processing both screens and it's activities on it Hyper-Threading would speed it up x2, but the ARM ports of the DS would be 2x to 5x of the current clocking speed used on an emulator.

I know I maybe making a monkey of myself, but this is why it is diffcult to make PS2 and DS emulators.

I agree, but there are a lot better ds emulators out there then ps2, at least its possible to play games on DeSmuME, but playing ps2 games on the only emulator thats decent (PCSX2) is a pain in the arse and hardly worth the effort. I mean even if you get it running to where your like eh playable there is still the chance you wont get through a whole game without coming across a glitch or bug that stops you from going any further in that game.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 DQ Chao284

• Sword Slinger

• 395 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:22 AM

I agree, but there are a lot better ds emulators out there then ps2, at least its possible to play games on DeSmuME, but playing ps2 games on the only emulator thats decent (PCSX2) is a pain in the arse and hardly worth the effort. I mean even if you get it running to where your like eh playable there is still the chance you wont get through a whole game without coming across a glitch or bug that stops you from going any further in that game.

Well at least it now works properly at least now, better than iDeas, now I just need to upgrade my system soon so that I can get the full speed, since I know if some ofthe romhackinmg experts come here, I would have the ablity to edit the script(refitting the text area with the font type and make it more sensible if anything), and also use custom NFTR files(adding characters not normally used in NFTR, including their sub mappers), and also hopefully see if this emulator has the ablity to get around the piracy protection(not recommended on a normal DS) so that I can get used to this,

And besides that I did take a listen to the sound system, it matches closest to DQ5's music score format(instrament wise) unlike DQ6 used which seem to less interesting to me.

#17 HeavyQ

• Head Hunter

• 720 posts
  • Interests:A little bit of everything. I love driving my cars, bowling, golfing, playing paintball, gaming and hanging out with friends.
  • Tag City:Great Falls
  • Tag State:Montana
  • Tag Zip:59405
  • Tag Country:United States

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:00 AM

Okay I feel dumb. Can someone explain to me how to get Desmume working? I've been tinkering with every setting possible so I can copy Zenith and put my Party's sprites in my sig, but I cannot get anything but a white screen. I've set the save type to EEPROM 512Kb (which I thought is what it should be set at) and tried messing with every 3D and video setting there is. Can't get anything working. Wondering if it might be my ROM I have possibly, but then again I have no other DS ROMs besides IX. All I want to do is get some spritey goodness :(
DQ and DW games I've beaten:
NES
DW 1, 2, 3 and 4
Gameboy Color
DW 1&2 remake, 3 remake
SNES (Emulator)
DQ 1&2 remake, 3 remake (Very, very partial DeJap translation), 5 and 6
Playstation
DQ 4r and DW VII
Playstation 2
DQ 8
Nintendo DS
DQM: Joker, DQ IV, V and IX
w00t

My DQ 9 party:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~~~ Heavy Q! (Warrior) ---- Sara (Gladiator) ------- Katie (Sage) ----------- Staci (Sage) ~~~

#18 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

Okay I feel dumb. Can someone explain to me how to get Desmume working? I've been tinkering with every setting possible so I can copy Zenith and put my Party's sprites in my sig, but I cannot get anything but a white screen. I've set the save type to EEPROM 512Kb (which I thought is what it should be set at) and tried messing with every 3D and video setting there is. Can't get anything working. Wondering if it might be my ROM I have possibly, but then again I have no other DS ROMs besides IX. All I want to do is get some spritey goodness :(

Here are a couple of things to try:

1) Go to the Config Menu and then hover over the "Display Method". If you are using DirectDraw HW, try changing that to DirectDraw SW. Vice versa if you have DirectDraw SW selected.

2) Try deleting your save file and just starting a new game from scratch. This will tell you if it's the save file that's causing the issue (Though I doubt it is, since EEPROM 512Kb is the correct setting for the save files available on this site

3) Go to the Tools menu, and hover over the "View Layers" option. Make sure there is a check mark next to each one.

If none of these options help, send me a screenshot of the "Config"-->"Emulation Settings" window.

#19 HeavyQ

• Head Hunter

• 720 posts
  • Interests:A little bit of everything. I love driving my cars, bowling, golfing, playing paintball, gaming and hanging out with friends.
  • Tag City:Great Falls
  • Tag State:Montana
  • Tag Zip:59405
  • Tag Country:United States

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:59 AM

So this is what it's doing. I have the ROM mounted and it must doing something as my CPU and RAM usage is way up above normal (as seen in the little gauge in the screen shot):
Posted Image

Here's the other things you asked for as well:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't even had a chance to mess with any save files. I haven't even been able to get the game to run. This is as soon as I open the ROM and try to play. Does nothing other then this awesome white screen. I am running the newest version of Desmume as well, so I find this really odd 0_o

Not sure if it helps, but here's the main specs of my PC:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4 GHz Dual Core
3 GB DDR2 1600 (800 MHz) Ram
nVidia GeForce 9800XT+

Thanks for takin' a look Zenith, any help you can offer would be fantastic.

Edited by HeavyQ, 19 August 2010 - 01:59 AM.

DQ and DW games I've beaten:
NES
DW 1, 2, 3 and 4
Gameboy Color
DW 1&2 remake, 3 remake
SNES (Emulator)
DQ 1&2 remake, 3 remake (Very, very partial DeJap translation), 5 and 6
Playstation
DQ 4r and DW VII
Playstation 2
DQ 8
Nintendo DS
DQM: Joker, DQ IV, V and IX
w00t

My DQ 9 party:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~~~ Heavy Q! (Warrior) ---- Sara (Gladiator) ------- Katie (Sage) ----------- Staci (Sage) ~~~

#20 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Dauntless Dragovian

• 6,991 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

I haven't even had a chance to mess with any save files. I haven't even been able to get the game to run. This is as soon as I open the ROM and try to play. Does nothing other then this awesome white screen. I am running the newest version of Desmume as well, so I find this really odd 0_o

Not sure if it helps, but here's the main specs of my PC:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Intel Core 2 Q6600 2.4 GHz Dual Core
3 GB DDR2 1600 (800 MHz) Ram
nVidia GeForce 9800XT+

Ok, your settings are fine from what I can tell and you have more than enough CPU, GPU and RAM to make it run. I had the same problem as you did (white screen on ROM load) and to fix it, I had to change my Display Method from DirectDraw HW to DirectDraw SW.

Posted Image

I mentioned that in my last post, but you didn't mention whether you tried it or not. Hope that works for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users