Photo

Dragon Quest IV psx version...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 senshi

• Sword Slinger

• 412 posts
  • Interests:holy bible, piano, rpg's, science (life, health and biomedical)...
  • Tag State:New York
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Alright so I bought this up before but thought I would ask again. Do any of you guys think that the playstation version deserves a translation even though the DS version is already here?Yes, No.

Edited by Dragon Spirit, 28 February 2009 - 01:58 PM.

#2 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,371 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

Absolutely. I would even be fine with seeing the DS script inserted into the PSX remake. It would just be nice to have a playable (and understandable) version of the PSX remake.

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.png DQMW_hdpi.png foot_dq1.png foot_dq2.png foot_dq3.png icon.png

PrinceofCannock1-1.pngTrauminate_IMG-3.pngBianca.png

#3 AerynB

• Sword Slinger

• 356 posts
  • Interests:Reading; Playing Dragon Quest & Legend of Zelda; TV Shows: Leverage, Stargate: SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis, Farscape; Writing some fan-fic
  • Tag City:St. Louis
  • Tag State:Missouri
  • Tag Zip:63304

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:51 PM

Maybe. I'd especially like to have the Party Chat translated. And while I didn't mind all the name changes and such, it would be nice to have a slightly less childish version of the game. Only problem though, I wouldn't know the first thing about how to play it. I'm hoping there'll be some faq or guide when the dq5r patch is released. :blush2:
Royal Attendant in Femiscyra: I'm cataloguing all the different rumours there are about the Lord of the Underworld and his resurrection. The prophecy of the heroine who's supposed to defeat him... The legend of the Dragon God who resides in Zenithia up in the sky... And the tale about a woman who swept down from heaven and gave birth to a child near Casabranca. I'll have it all arranged in a neat little story soon, I hope.

#4 Dojorkan

• Sword Slinger

• 381 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:23 PM

I'd rather see the DWM1+2 PSX or Young Yangus for PS2 get translated instead.
BASHING GAMES MORE POPULAR THAN DRAGON QUEST MAKES YOU COOL.

#5 senshi

• Sword Slinger

• 412 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

Absolutely. I would even be fine with seeing the DS script inserted into the PSX remake. It would just be nice to have a playable (and understandable) version of the PSX remake.

That's a great idea. Since the DS version text is already translated it would be inserted in the psx version and somethings would be modified to suit what DQ should be or have. The dialect heavy text would be toned down severly and it would be cool to have the original names of the town, villages, and dungeons return. The characters would also have their original names like cristo etc. unless everyone likes the name changes. But would it be good to stay with the new name spells or revert to the old ones? I prefer the old ones but there might be people who are used to the new ones. Other than that some monsters or bosses would have their original names back and wouldn't have to use any of those pun-ish names either. I guess it would be modified a little to be closer to the Nes version's translation but also a similar form of a translation like that of VII to a certain extent if anyone agrees...

Maybe. I'd especially like to have the Party Chat translated. And while I didn't mind all the name changes and such, it would be nice to have a slightly less childish version of the game. Only problem though, I wouldn't know the first thing about how to play it. I'm hoping there'll be some faq or guide when the dq5r patch is released. :blush2:

Definetly. The party chat would already be there and all that would be left to do is translate it. But I recall that someone already translated it here on the forums. I think it was Mimas if I remember correctly. It would have a serious tone and a bit of dark humour in it like you see in VII to give it the transition of being serious and funny at times with npcs etc with out having to be childish. The way to play it I presume would be to get a CD+R and download the contents on it and play it on a modded ps1 or ps2 if you prefer consoles or just via a ps1 emulator on a computer or even on the psp since that could support a psx emulator.

Edited by Dragon Spirit, 20 February 2009 - 01:04 PM.

#6 senshi

• Sword Slinger

• 412 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

I guess no one else is interested. Oh well, at least I tried. ^^

#7 Tom-Servo

• Metal Master

• 1,295 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:52 PM

There is one going on already. I'm not sure how far they got.

#8 Billy MK

• Head Hunter

• 625 posts
  • Interests:Video Games and Manga

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

I would be happy enough with a party chat translation for the DS version. As for the consoles, there are other priorities like DQM and Yangus mentioned before.

Man, I wish I could be more helpful for this kind of stuff. Knowing nothing of Japanese and just getting started with programming, does anyone knows where I could learn a few things about the rom/psx hacking matter?

Edited by Billy MK, 01 March 2009 - 07:23 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Kenryoku_Maxis

• Head Hunter

• 608 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

Yes I would. I bought it a long time ago before the DS game was announced for release here. So it would be nice to play it translated.
Last Played - Dragon Quest VI DS
Currently Playing - None
Have Played - Dragon Quest I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | DQM: Joker | DQH: Rocket Slime | Swords

http://www.backlogge.../kenryoku_maxis

#10 senshi

• Sword Slinger

• 412 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

There is one going on already. I'm not sure how far they got.

I see. Is that translation an attempt to fix up the script for the DS version as well as re-insert party chat or is this a translation just for the psx version? Because either of them would be great even though I like the psx version more.

I would be happy enough with a party chat translation for the DS version. As for the consoles, there are other priorities like DQM and Yangus mentioned before.

Man, I wish I could be more helpful for this kind of stuff. Knowing nothing of Japanese and just getting started with programming, does anyone knows where I could learn a few things about the rom/psx hacking matter?

I'm with you on that. My japanese isn't too great either but if it was I could get started on it too. I don't know anything about rom/psx hacking so I can't help you on that one, sorry. (I am also looking in to the rom hacking my self by the way).

#11 King Zenith

• Moderators
  • Celebrated Celestrian

• 7,371 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:3138-9033-8391
  • Tag City:Calgary
  • Tag State:Alberta
  • Tag Zip:T2P0T5

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

This is not a bad place to start. I would love it if there were more DQ fans with rom-hacking and/or translation skills. There certainly is demand for it.

dqmsl_logo_hdpi.png DQMW_hdpi.png foot_dq1.png foot_dq2.png foot_dq3.png icon.png

PrinceofCannock1-1.pngTrauminate_IMG-3.pngBianca.png

#12 Kenryoku_Maxis

• Head Hunter

• 608 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:05 AM

This is not a bad place to start. I would love it if there were more DQ fans with rom-hacking and/or translation skills. There certainly is demand for it.

Indeed. I think there's more people playing Dragon Quest on roms than official....

*cough*
Last Played - Dragon Quest VI DS
Currently Playing - None
Have Played - Dragon Quest I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | DQM: Joker | DQH: Rocket Slime | Swords

http://www.backlogge.../kenryoku_maxis

#13 Instant Radical

• Avid Alchemist

• 151 posts
  • Interests:Denim

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:34 AM

Since I find the DS version far more aesthetically pleasing than the PSX remake, I'd rather just have some sort of party chat insertion project. The name changes and dialects in IV didn't bother me anywhere near as much as in V, but this is probably because I was far less familiar with IV prior to playing it.

#14 Shal

• Avid Alchemist

• 162 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

I found out I'm not a programmer/hacker when I looked into ROM hacking years ago. Maybe there's a reason there's so many few DQ fans into translation. But in answer to the general question, I'd love a translation of the PSX version, but don't want to overtax anyone after the translations that have already been done. At least the DS version is out.

#15 senshi

• Sword Slinger

• 412 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

I agree. I don't want want to "overtax" anyone either, that's why I am trying to learn how to hack roms my self. Even though the DS version is out, it isn't "complete." That's why either a translation for the psx version would be good, or The DS version's components (dialogue, party chat) could be fixed up to be the way it was originally intended.

#16 Kahran042

• Slime Slayer

• 17 posts
  • Interests:Video games, anime, walking, fantasy cartography, making up a complete demonology of the RPG multiverse.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

I am! And, about the spell names, count me as a vote for the old ones. Thordain>>>>>>>>>>>>Kazapple any day!

#17 senshi

• Sword Slinger

• 412 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

I am! And, about the spell names, count me as a vote for the old ones. Thordain>>>>>>>>>>>>Kazapple any day!

:D I would also love the old spell names too. The new ones aren't that bad though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users