Contest #7 - Predict the winner of the Monster Design Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Plattym3_*

• Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:06 AM

Guess the winner, earn a badge!

Instructions: Beginning later this week (Friday), we'll have an elimination tournament to determine the fan favorite monster for the monster design contest (#4). I'll be using your nominations to seed the following 10 monsters in the tourney, so vote for who you think will come out on top now. Good luck to everyone. Your guess is due by Thursday at 11:59 EST.

So, here are the nominees in alphabetical order:

Posted Image
Bisonbar
HP - 180
MP - 48
Atk - 175
Def - 0
Agl - 170
Gold - 250
Exp - 750

Skills: Always attacks twice
Build up strength
Attack may inflict a terrible blow
Emits a scorching gas
Shrieking roar
Vivify

Description: The Bisonbar is a deadly form of the phantom messenger that has tremendous attack power and vicious attacks. The Bisonbar is a quick offensive that travels in pacts, making full use of its reviving skills to make a battle as short as possible, but it has one significant drawback: it can't take a hit. It's tactical offensive strategy should be mimicked by any of its opposition, for anyone who refuses to take these badboys out in the first few rounds will suffer tremendous losses.

Items Dropped: Stilleto Earrings

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image
Drakeelord
Drakeelord is Magidrakeelord's younger brother. He has four wings, which give him a high Agility score, so he attacks first every round. He is most vulnerable in his head, which as you can see is a weak-ass drakee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image
Drolllord
No story here, I just thought it looked hilarious. The only monster to have 3 "L"s in a row AND be a palindrome. Hell yeah!

Posted Image
Hoimi Ghost

Posted Image
Hoimi Pupetteer

Posted Image
Killer King Slime
HP: 223
MP: 100
ATK: 178
DEF: 186
AGI: 90
Gold: 69
EXP: 401
Drops: Steel broadsword
Attacks: Can perform Normal Attack, Arrow attack, sword attack. Tries A Body Attack and can attack 2x per round.
Spells: Can cast Fendspell
Desc: Killer king slime is a combination of a King Slime and a Killing Machine.

Posted Image
King Gold Slime
The King Gold Slime is a far distant cousin of your typical Gold Slime. He is instead descended from a line of King Slimes that developed an appetite for gold. The rich mineral gives these monsters their color and makes them worth over 5000 gold for adventures hearty enough to kill them.

Posted Image
Meteor Slime
A Rock Slime that has traversed the vastness of Space, it's the Meteor Slime, who's galactic travels have somehow given it new found powers. HP: 78 MP: 40 Spells: Firebane, SpeedUp, and Upper.

Posted Image
King PlatKing
What with new advances in game design, monsters are no longer limited to providing 65,536 EXP. These masters of all monsters are rarer than FF fanboys on the Den. Killing one (with it's 999 DEF and 200 HP) is extremely difficult, but nets you a cool million EXP to share with your party.

Posted Image
SpitSpawn
HP: 71
MP: 0
ATK: 103
DEF: 90
AGI: 99
GOLD: 105
EXP: 92
Drops: Boomerang, Cloak of evasion
Attacks: Call For Help, Spit Attack, can Chargeup
Spells: Boom, Frizzle
Desc: Combination of a Soulspawn and a Spitnik

Edited by Plattym3, 29 September 2008 - 07:43 PM.

#2 zenithian

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,833 posts
  • Interests:Square Enix; DQ/DW, FF (some), Chrono Trigger, Zelda:OOT; DBZ, Macross; Stargate, Star Trek, Star Wars; Rise of Nations, Galactic Battlegrounds, AoE2.
  • Tag City:Salt Lake City
  • Tag State:Utah
  • Awards:Awards Image

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

Posted Image
King PlatKing
What with new advances in game design, monsters are no longer limited to providing 65,536 EXP. These masters of all monsters are rarer than FF fanboys on the Den. Killing one (with it's 999 DEF and 200 HP) is extremely difficult, but nets you a cool million HP to share with your party.

Lol, shouldn't that net a cool million XP?

Anyway, my vote is for the King PlatKing.
The UNOFFICIAL 20th Anniversary Dragon Warrior Calendar (May 2008 ~ December 2009)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Click to see games I've completed and/or played
Now playing: Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, Dragon Quest VI (DS).
Wish List: Dragon Quest Monster Battle Road Victory, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, Dragon Quest X.

#3 Woodus

• Admin
  • Dragon Warrior

• 12,413 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4856-9117-4181
  • Interests:Dragon Warrior, Games, RPGs, RTSs, Golfing, Boating, Web Design ...
  • Tag City:Ankeny
  • Tag State:Iowa
  • Tag Zip:50021
  • Tag Country:USA

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

I will have to agree with zenithian on this one, King Platking will be the winner.

woodus_bar.png skbar1.png
firefox_bar.png linkdir_bar.png
amazon_bar.png astore_bar.png
dq8_talk3.gif ice_on_grass_2x.gif dq73ds_loading_slime.gif

#4 Azlaksar

• Sword Slinger

• 389 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

Yup, King PlatKing.
Posted Image

#5 Slime Master

• Jack of All Trades?

• 15,649 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, both old and new school
    Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior
    Making and playing RPGs
    Anime and Cosplay
  • Tag State:Virginia

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

;) What? No love for the Meteor Slime?

Edited by Slime Master, 29 September 2008 - 12:15 PM.

Slimes are your friend
Paid for by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Slimes.

https://www.facebook...ivo.robotnik.58Yes, I too go sucked into the black hole that is facebook

dd_bar_038.png

Games Beaten: *160*
Currently Playing: None at the moment

" Bring it. I'll love it. I've decided that anything that has Dragon Quest slapped on it is amazing. Slap a DQ logo on $#!& and it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. If the Final Fantasy fan girls can do the same with their series I'll do the same with mine." ~ Chaos

#6 IvorEvilen

• Sword Slinger

• 456 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

I disagree, the King Platking is just a "LOL" off the metal line :/. Funny yes, but would it really make a great new DQ monster? I think the winner should be something you would feel should be in the DQ games, and although some show off the creators lack of drawing abilities, there are quite a few really decent entries. My favorite so far is leaning towards the Killer King Slime. Whoever made that put a lot of thought into it (and it looks cool)... or at least it seems that way, so don't attack me if I am wrong D:.

It seems the king slime is really popular though... I should have entered King Leo Slime D:!

Edited by IvorEvilen, 29 September 2008 - 01:10 PM.

Games Beaten:
Dragon Warrior 1 - 3 NES
Dragon Warrior IV NES *it deserves it's own line for epicness*
Dragon Quest V and VI SNES
Dragon Warrior VII PSX
Dragon Quest VIII PS2
Dragon Warrior 1 - 3 GBC
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker DS
Dragon Quest IV DS
Dragon Quest V DS
Dragon Quest IX DS
Dragon Quest VI DS

My personal preference (favorite to least):
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest II (still a good game)

Games I want:
Dragon Quest X

#7 Teclo

• Sword Slinger

• 326 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:25 PM

There are none that I don't like. The worst thing I could say about some of them is that they're just combinations of already existing types and since RPGs often depend on palette swaps to bump up the enemy numbers, it's not such a great idea to start making "Frankenstein's monsters" from the parts of already existing monsters. That said, in some cases - like the Hoimi Puppeteer - the combining of pre-existing enemy types can be imaginative. I also like the Meteor Slime but it does seem a little odd since Dragon Quest doesn't really seem to ever mention space; it's a basic fantasy setting so it only acknowledges the stars and moon in a romantic sense. That said, DQ already has enemies that don't fit into the setting, such as the Hunter enemies. As far as I've seen, DQ doesn't have any technology that wouldn't belong in a medieval setting and yet here are these robots attacking you...

Anyway, if I had to choose one it would have to be the Meteor Slime. While I have some reservations about some space-based enemy being in the distinctly fantasy-setting DQ, it just has a cool feel to it and if I saw in in-game it would make me grin. Maybe there could be a sorcerer enemy type that "casts" Meteor Slime in order to summon them, with them shooting from the sky at the party and then bouncing off and landing in-line with the enemies? It would bring the Meteor Slime back under a sort of arcane, magical banner rather than dabbling in Final Fantasy-esque space travel (though of course, someone casting anything to do with Meteors also feels quite FF-esque...)

Edited by Teclo, 29 September 2008 - 01:30 PM.

Posted Image
Click on the image for my Dragon Quest doujin and CG blog
(Not updated for several months but I may start again someday)

#8 MetalIke

• Bane of Baramos

• 2,346 posts
  • Tag City:Lawrenceville
  • Tag State:Georgia
  • Tag Zip:30043

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:47 PM

;) What? No love for the Meteor Slime?

Gee, and I wonder who made that one? :P
Q: How many members of GROUP OFTEN STEREOTYPED does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: N+1. One to screw in the lightbulb, and N to BEHAVE STEREOTYPICALLY.

http://australiscomm...SecondPanel.php

#9 Guest_Plattym3_*

• Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Posted Image
King PlatKing
What with new advances in game design, monsters are no longer limited to providing 65,536 EXP. These masters of all monsters are rarer than FF fanboys on the Den. Killing one (with it's 999 DEF and 200 HP) is extremely difficult, but nets you a cool million HP to share with your party.

Lol, shouldn't that net a cool million XP?

Anyway, my vote is for the King PlatKing.

Thanks, I'll fix that. And to WHOMEVER entered that entry, I apologize to you for making the typing error.

I will throw my guess into SpitSpawn. It's my favorite (well, ok close to my favorite) drawing. I think it's got a fighting chance.

Edited by Plattym3, 01 October 2008 - 04:56 AM.

#10 Ice Mage88

• Head Hunter

• 562 posts
  • Interests:Video games of all sorts, Also enjoy buillding Lego.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:16 PM

I agree I like all of these monsters and they are all very creative and they all deserve to win. However I find that the one that catches my eye most is the Killer king slime so as my prediction

I vote Killer king slime!
Slimes... the best thing invented since sliced bread

Posted Image

#11 DragonBlade

• Metal Master

• 1,229 posts
  • Interests:Game Interests are RPGs Real Time Strategy Turn Based Strategy Shooters some MMO

Book Interests are Temeraire Series Eragon Series

Music Interests Almost anything except death metal rap country.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

King Platking for me
Games Beat (Series games) Total count 99
Dragon Warrior I.II.III. IV.V.VII.VIII.(I.II.III.For GBC aswell)DWM & DQM J. Metroid I.II.III.IV(Zero mission Remake of I). Golden Sun I.II.
Star Wars IV.V.VI(All for SNES)Lego II.BF.BFII.(For PS2). Breath Of Fire I.II.III. Acecombat. IV.Zero. Advance Wars.I.II. DoR
Champions of Norrath.I.II. Baldurs Gate.I.II. Warriors Of Might& Magic. I.II. Digimon World I.II. Pokemon Versons Yellow Silver.
Mario Bros. I.III.IV. New Super Mario Brothers Homeworld.I.II.Cataclsym. FF7 & 9
Rachet&Clank I.II.III.IV. Legend Of Zelda A link To The Past. Oracle Of ages/Seasons. Links awakening ((More To Come))
Kingdom Hearts I&II. Gradius III& V
(Only singles games)
Romance of the III Kingdoms II.Legend of legaia. Defender(PS2).Lethal skiesII. Shadows of the colossus. Super Strike Eagle.
Outpost2.Civilization. Monster Hunter. Moon Project. Star Trek Encounters TNG Armada Conquest. Trog. Fire Emblem. Super Bomberman. Jurassic Park. Blaster MasterII. Mech Platoon. Armored CoreIII. Robotech Battlecry. Secret Weapons Over Normandy. Star Fox. Warhammer40k. ColonyWars 3 Red Sun. Trog. Duck Tales. Stainly the search for DR Livingston. Quest for Camelot. Yoshi Safari. Dungeon Explorer. Rebal Raiders.Civilization DS. Star Wars Rebellion.

#12 Nikkolus

• Rhone Ranger

• 1,917 posts
  • Interests:Pool, computers, web-design, politics, video games.

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:02 AM

I think King Platking ;)

Although I really like Killer King Slime, I think King Platking is going to win.

Posted Image

One of the most important ways to manifest integrity is to be loyal to those who are not present. In doing so, we build the trust of those who are present. - Stephen Covey

#13 Woodus

• Admin
  • Dragon Warrior

• 12,413 posts
  • DQM:J2 FC:4856-9117-4181
  • Interests:Dragon Warrior, Games, RPGs, RTSs, Golfing, Boating, Web Design ...
  • Tag City:Ankeny
  • Tag State:Iowa
  • Tag Zip:50021

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

How about we make all of the contestant's entries be avatars as well :)

woodus_bar.png skbar1.png
firefox_bar.png linkdir_bar.png
amazon_bar.png astore_bar.png
dq8_talk3.gif ice_on_grass_2x.gif dq73ds_loading_slime.gif

#14 Guest_Csabi_*

• Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:10 AM

Hoimi Ghost and Hoimi Puppeteer are very cute evil monsters. I wonder if Cartographer could draw us a Hoimi Ghost with a pirate hat to be a Hoimi Pirate. I bet the Hoimi Pirate would surely rob our sympathy.

#15 Guest_Plattym3_*

• Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

How about we make all of the contestant's entries be avatars as well :)

Sure, although someone's entry already is...

#16 IvorEvilen

• Sword Slinger

• 456 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:32 PM

Woah, the Bisonbar psx version is awesome :o!
Games Beaten:
Dragon Warrior 1 - 3 NES
Dragon Warrior IV NES *it deserves it's own line for epicness*
Dragon Quest V and VI SNES
Dragon Warrior VII PSX
Dragon Quest VIII PS2
Dragon Warrior 1 - 3 GBC
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker DS
Dragon Quest IV DS
Dragon Quest V DS
Dragon Quest IX DS
Dragon Quest VI DS

My personal preference (favorite to least):
Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest
Dragon Quest II (still a good game)

Games I want:
Dragon Quest X

#17 Guest_Plattym3_*

• Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

My favorites are Bisonbar (grade A boss material) and Killer King Slime (almost looks like something from Mega Man).

Can't deny that everyone here did a great job, though! (Oh, and I didn't participate in this one)

Here's a PlayStation-style Bisonbar edit. Some colors may be different.

Posted Image

For no reason, here's an original monster creation of mine which is not, I repeat, NOT intended to be included and judged in the contest. I just did this for fun. Inspired by a certain laundry detergent mascot from the 1980s... meet Slumbear! (Gosh, my puns are getting to be just as bad as Nob Ogasawara's for the Pokémon names...)

Posted Image

Aaaanyway, this giant opponent is a hybrid Beast-type and Fairy-type, and has many different attacks that cause the Sleep status, including powerful wrestling moves and sweet breath. It also has a tremendous amount of HP and a high critical attack rate, and its sleep attacks have a chance of working a little bit too well and causing "the big sleep" (death). However, as a trade-off, it sometimes starts the battle asleep, in a manner similar to Brahmird/Bullfinch.

Hoimi Ghost and Hoimi Puppeteer are very cute evil monsters. I wonder if Cartographer could draw us a Hoimi Ghost with a pirate hat to be a Hoimi Pirate. I bet the Hoimi Pirate would surely rob our sympathy.

Are either of you officially nominating anyone?

If not, the current vote count stands at:
Killer King Slime - 2
Meteor Slime - 2 (that's assuming Slime Master nominated that with his question)
King PlatKing - 5
SpitSpawn - 1

Remember, these are just predictions and not a real votes. I'm only using them for seeding information.

#18 Guest_Plattym3_*

• Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

Yes, I'm only taking 1 nomination. Sorry I didn't mention that, but now that that's cleared up...

Killer King Slime - 3
Meteor Slime - 2 (that's assuming Slime Master nominated that with his question)
King PlatKing - 5
SpitSpawn - 1

#19 Guest_Plattym3_*

• Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

OK, I'm closing an hour early to get the voting started. Good luck everyone!

#20 Guest_Plattym3_*

• Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

Congrats to the winner of the design contest whoever that was...

But, big congrats too to zenithian, Woodus, Azlaksar, DragonBlade, & Nikkolus for their prognostication skills!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users