Dragon's Den Community
Sign in to follow this  
Glaceon Mage

Name Changes in English (Currently making a list in the OP, pitch in)

"Sir" The Hero

Aluse and Arus are both right. Aluse just uses l instead of r (same sound in Japanese), and the e is silent. It's also the localization used in the Dragon Warrior VII demo (which I don't think was ever released, but is accessible from the debug menu).

Nothing official has ever called him Aluse. In fact, that looks like something Ted Woolsey's crew would have conjured.

The same crew that thought "Wyvern" should translate as "Y Burn". The result of Woolsey picking the wrong option between B/V sounds.

(How would Aluse even be pronounced? The same as Alice?)

Yeah, like Alice, but with an "oo" sound where the "i" is. And even though it was never actually used, I'd consider that demo to be official. In fact, I believe it's the only time his canon name has been officially localized for English (romanizations used in Japanese media don't count).

I'm getting major Yuval, er, Deja-Vu right now.

Confirmation that it is more than likely Arus.

arus

That fits a lot better than a made-up name.

A lot of times minor puns, nuances or loan words in a name get messed up in localization. Funimation is particularly guilty of this with some anime, such as Dragon Ball Z or One Piece. So not picking up on "Arus" would be a translator's mistake.

Now, Roto vs. Loto, on the other hand... have at thee. Enix of Japan decided Roto and Enix of America decided Loto. Either one is correct.

That connection would make sense if it weren't for the Japanese pronunciation of the word - where the ru/lu sounds like "roo" as in kangaroo or the name "Lou". However, from what I understand, if they were going for the Indonesian/Malaysian word "arus", meaning a water current, the name would be spelled either アラス (Arasu) or アロス (Arosu). I could be wrong, but that's what I seem to understand from the pronunciation section here: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/arus

As it is spelled in Japanese (アルス), it should be pronounced a-"roo"-su, or a-"loose"-u... Therefore, Aluse is a valid spelling.

• Upvote 1

Aluse sounds more like a real name than Arus does. And, like Loto, that comes from Enix of America.

• Upvote 1

Loto/Roto/Erdrick is a title, and works more like "sir" or "Dr." and "MD".  I don't know if it's meant to be a pre or suffix when brought over to English.  How does the current Mobile translation handle it?

I always took it as a title that effectively replaces the name. Similar to Sith Lords from Star Wars. (Try saying that 10 times fast)

The "e" in Aluse is silent. It's only there to affect the pronunciation of the "u".

I admit my post was unclear - I didn't mean that Arus ever came from EoA. I meant that Aluse came from EoA - in the Dragon Warrior VII demo. I can record gameplay of the demo as proof.

I'm also not saying that Arus is incorrect (although I must note that every English speaker besides myself that I've ever heard say it has pronounced it wrong). Arus is a perfectly acceptable romanization of the name. The point that I'm trying to make is that Aluse is also perfectly correct, and is the only form of the name to ever be used in an official English localization.

• Upvote 1

Dejà vu, alright. And then people don't read their own posts and wonder why the "hostility" directed at them. Tsk tsk.

Not that names *have to* reference something from games, but...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alus

Estonian
Etymology
From ala- +‎ -us.

Noun
alus ‎(genitive aluse, partitive alust)

bottom
watercraft

Finnish
Pronunciation
IPA(key): [ˈɑlus]
Hyphenation: a‧lus
Noun
alus

vessel, craft, ship (vehicle designed for navigation in or on water or air or through outer space)
underlay (anything underlaid)
(grammar, rare) subject

What do you think about Erdrick? It's waaaaaaaaaayyyyy off from Roto.

I'm still going to record the demo at some point (probably later today, I don't know for sure) even if you believe me, as I'd like to show it off, it's a relatively unknown thing, even amongst DQ fans. This will give me an opportunity to vocally pronounce アルス, Arus, and Aluse, so I will post the video here once it's been recorded.

Although controllable, the demo is less of a playable demo, and more of a hub to learn information about the game, if I recall. There are no battles, you just walk around Estard talking to people. Admittedly, it may have been unfinished, considering I have never heard of any instance where somebody actually saw it outside of using the Debug menu to access it. I'd need to check in the Japanese version to be sure, but I'm convinced it was a leftover from the Japanese version that got translated in case Enix of America decided to use it. And although they did make a few spelling errors here and there, and had to shorten or change some monster, skill, and item names where a direct translation wouldn't fit in the game menus, the translation is overall very accurate from what I can tell. (My japanese skills leave a lot to be desired, but using Google Translate, I can get the gist of the Japanese script.) They didn't seem to create any "Woolseyisms" like "Son of a Submariner!", and they didn't change random stuff for puns or humor like the newer localizations do. I think they would have taken great care when translating the main character's name, even if it's something that doesn't appear in the final game. (And before pointing out Borkano - if you weren't aware of the original linguistics, would you take the game seriously if your main character's father had the name "Volcano"? I personally would've changed it to Vulcan (and did in my 3DS patch), but I think they did okay.)

Dejà vu, alright. And then people don't read their own posts and wonder why the "hostility" directed at them. Tsk tsk.

Not that names *have to* reference something from games, but...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alus

Estonian
Etymology
From ala- +‎ -us.

Noun
alus ‎(genitive aluse, partitive alust)

bottom
watercraft

Finnish
Pronunciation
IPA(key): [ˈɑlus]
Hyphenation: a‧lus
Noun
alus

vessel, craft, ship (vehicle designed for navigation in or on water or air or through outer space)
underlay (anything underlaid)
(grammar, rare) subject

Ninja'd!

Thanks for this, Cesar!

• Upvote 1

Oh I also would LOVE if they change the character's names, like Erdrick; and more importantly, monsters. I'm sorry I'm not taking that "CragDevil" thrash as the name for that amazing rockhopper ghoulface-bellied penguin. =)

Edited by frostare

Also, Cesar, I don't know who you referring to about the "hostility" here. I never meant any hostility towards anybody, and I don't believe Varuna intended any hostility either. I'll admit it was getting a little heated, but I'm not trying to make an argument out of this, merely an in-depth discussion about localization. I actually almost want Varuna to prove me wrong, as at that point I'll know I've learned something. At the same time, however, it'll take a lot to convince me that Aluse is an inappropriate localization of アルス, especially after what you have posted, which supports my theory.

• Upvote 1

Also, Cesar, I don't know who you referring to about the "hostility" here. I never meant any hostility towards anybody, and I don't believe Varuna intended any hostility either. I'll admit it was getting a little heated, but I'm not trying to make an argument out of this, merely an in-depth discussion about localization. I actually almost want Varuna to prove me wrong, as at that point I'll know I've learned something. At the same time, however, it'll take a lot to convince me that Aluse is an inappropriate localization of アルス, especially after what you have posted, which supports my theory.

You were a perfect gentleman, don't worry.

It's just this kid with all his "no, you're wrong" or "that's totally incorrect while mine is totally correct" or "the only acceptable one is mine" attitude who then would not understand why people lose their cool with him.

That attitude would be bad enough for someone who is right, but since he clearly has no idea, then it gets worse.

More than once has it been questioned if he actually listens. That, paired with all his interest about pronunciation (and how he gets it all wrong), make me wonder if he really cannot listen.

No offense intended against people who cannot listen.

And that thing about wanting to learn, that is what makes people and Varuna different. He seems to think he already has the absolute truth about all the things he's got wrong, and he does not seem to want to learn otherwise. That is a very dangerous thing (to him).

If his mind is so set, he starts changing words others say. In the first English screenshots thread he did not understand a few things, because he changed them into something that suited his state of mind.

- I said EoA saw Milly's name *Romanized* as "Milayou" (in material from Japan, years before DWM was brought here) and he changed that to *Localized*, and said EoA wre the ones who localized it.

- I mentioned the characters used to indicate *sounds*. He changed that to characters to indicate *syllables*. I do not know why. At that point, he could learn not all sounds are syllables, and that these characters could help him with all his problems with standalone sounds.

- All the times I talked about the French sounds in the name "Mireille", like the "i" sound, he went back to the English "eye". Even after being told repeatedly that doing so would not give him the right sounds when going for French.

As I said back then, after realizing all of this, it is not worth it to try to teach him as long as he thinks he knows it all and we talk nonsense. Of course, it is still interesting to see if he really is dense or if he is faking and doing all of this on purpose (I would think that is more probable; the alternative is just very sad).

And, by the way, my personal preference is "Alus". :)

As far as I'm concerned, all the protagonists are named after me. :wd_coolslime:

I is pronounced like the letter "eye" and you kept insisting it was pronounced like the letter "I" and the letter "I" is pronounced exactly like the word "eye".

Not in French. It's more of an ee sound.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Chief.

I would have to start thinking my reading comprehension was bad if you hadn't come. Either his or mine, but something's awkward.

--

Varuna. You may not intend it. You may not even be aware of it.

But when you use absolutes like "Mireille is pronounced as mee-rye", especially when they are not true, it comes as arrogant. I should know, since I am very arrogant myself. Just try to be arrogant while still listening to others, learning new things and conceding when what I think is not true.

If you then use absolutes to contradict things others have correctly pointed out, whether because you did not want to listen or because you simply did not understand what was said, for whatever reason, then the attitude is worse.

Of course, people can tolerate different attitudes, even difficult ones (God knows they have tolerated mine this long).

But I suppose I have never been patient, have I? Plus, I have been involved (in another thread, sorry, everyone, for spreading this into another, but I hope this will be quick) into this routine with you. I don't mind not being listened to, but I would like that to be clear right away, so I would not keep trying.

All in all, sounding arrogant but really not meaning it this time, I would suggest you pause to question your own ideas and their foundations more, and listen to what people like The Mystical One and Erdrick The Hero say. Really listen and try to get their meaning. I have learned from both.

--

In other news, and sorry to disagree precisely with this, but I do. I do not think the new Square Enix went to "Erdrick" because of nostalgia. If nostalgia were involved, the DQ IV guys would have kept their original localized names.

I would venture to guess, working with what I can see, that they seem to be changing everything, except in this case, where they seem to be avoiding the direction the old Enix of around 2000. They went with "Loto", then new Square Enix will go with what many fans like, just to do what Enix didn't. Of course, every game or name Enix2000 did not touch, they will ravage to their liking. :(

I actually think Erdrick coming back had to do with the "Shakespearean" dialogue coming back - and I believe that had to do with the accents SE is intent on forcing into the games. While I have not reached this point in DQ3 mobile, I've heard talk that people in Alefgard speak in this way even though other lands in the game use the modern accents. So the Shakespearean dialogue is Alefgard/Torland (Lorasia)'s "accent" following the new localization rules. I really don't think it has anything to do with disregarding Enix of 2000. It probably has little if anything to do with nostalgia, either. It may have been picked due to the localizers seeing a connection to the older games that they may or may not have had nostalgia for, but I highly doubt it was any kind of marketing ploy.

I appreciate your sticking up for me Cesar, and while I agree that Varuna is being a little stubborn, I'd appreciate if we kept that conversation in another topic, in case Dwaine (what happened, by the way? Is he still lurking and less talkative, or has he forsaken us?) decides it needs to stop. I'd like this thread to stick around. My Deja Vu comment had nothing to do with the Milly argument (I didn't realize this was even the same guy), I literally was experiencing Deja Vu while writing that post.

Cesar do you call people out on stuff like this often? I've some two other comments like this. Platty even told you call people out on stuff . I'm just curious is this a regular thing?

That was a reference to DQ's Erdrick, it's not some other Erdrick. Also, it says Link in the Japanese version, so removing Erdrick isn't wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, all the protagonists are named after me. :wd_coolslime:

I is pronounced like the letter "eye" and you kept insisting it was pronounced like the letter "I" and the letter "I" is pronounced exactly like the word "eye".

Not in French. It's more of an ee sound.

Not in french, not in spanish either, you pronounce it "ee". There are some instances in english where "i" is pronounced "ee" too. In fact, I gotta wonder why the first english speakers decided to pronounce "e" like they do instead of "eh" and "i" as "eye" and not "ee", oh well.

Oh, and Chief, you have clearly not played Dragon Quest IX and VI cause clearly the Hero is named after me! =P

Edited by frostare

I doubt it. That reference existed when Enix was localizing the Game Boy games and they still went with Loto.

Yeah, if you look closely the translation that's been going since DQ8 decided to maintain some of the "Dragon Warrior" names, like Erdrick and Malroth. For better or worse, they prefer those over japanese "romajizised" names like Loto/Roto and Sidoh/Sydow/Shidou.

Edited by frostare

Cesar do you call people out on stuff like this often? I've some two other comments like this. Platty even told you call people out on stuff . I'm just curious is this a regular thing?

Only to people I like or of whom I have good expectations.

I actually remember that time. Did he fix what you ordered him to?

--

Last time, guys, just tried to keep it in, and couldn't.

Beep beep, César.

Dwaine, please let the thread live. I will not use it to express these past few opinions anymore. :)

Malroth is another very European sounding name. Sounds like something I'd encounter in Dungeons & Dragons, or something.

I know! And he was referred to as a sorcerer of arcane times or something. It adds charm while censoring the "god of destruction" part, I love it! =)

Also it's not over-the-top like some other given names to NES villains like Vile Malmort... OK I love that one too for being over the top. =P

I wouldn't say I ordered him, to do it, but yes he did fix it.

Okay what I mean is I wasn't trying to order him. I saw that others were pointing out typos and stuff so I figured I would too. I guess that comment did come off as me being bossy, or me ordering him,  but that wasn't the intention.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians
  • Upvote 1

Protagonist's default name has become Auster.

Borkano is now Pollock.

Matilda from the first town in the past is now Maeve.

I believe Mariner is now Sailor.

That's all I saw for now. :)

Edited by gooieooie